Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Is anybody at all talking about who is going to make the massive financial killings on Brexit?

Is George Soros up to anything? Surely some funds are circling to replicate his 1992 Black Wednesday?

Aside from your average cock-fight attending smuggler in the border counties making a fortune with a hard Brexit, who else is going to profit?

Very few of the very rich.

It is why nearly every bank, financial institution and large corporation plumped for Remain.

A few outliers but you'll always have that.

Is anybody at all talking about who is going to make the massive financial killings on Brexit?

Is George Soros up to anything? Surely some funds are circling to replicate his 1992 Black Wednesday?

Aside from your average cock-fight attending smuggler in the border counties making a fortune with a hard Brexit, who else is going to profit?

Jacob Rees Mogg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Jacob.

edit: typed before I saw preceding post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Rees Mogg is certainly in line to clean up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/7095b307-46b5-355f-a881-78cf9d57ce83

He's not in this because he loves his country and wants the north to become an economic powerhouse again.

Danzy wrote: »
    It is why nearly every bank, financial institution and large corporation plumped for Remain.

What is?

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »

Very few of the very rich.

A few outliers but you'll always have that.

They went for remain as it disrupts their ability to deal with the EU and would end up having to move the bulk of their business and staff to frankfurt.

Nobody has mentioned Phil Hogan being appointed the EU Commissioner for Trade. A cynic might suggest that's a big glorious PFO to the British.

At any rate, with Richard Neal, a lifelong advocate for Ireland in US politics, as head of the US Congress House Ways and Means Committee that is responsible for US trade deals, the Irish are punching way above their weight by holding these positions.

RTÉ: Hogan confirmed as new EU Trade Commissioner

'Plumped'. An odd choice of word. Makes it sound sort of impulsive, off the cuff. "Feck it, let's go remain". On one hand, you have a bespoke, unique spot in the largest, most successful trading bloc on earth. On the other, an obviously doomed, atavistic , pining-for-past-glories attempt to go it alone on the world stage.

Why on earth would banks, financial institutions and businesses do anything but Remain?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jacob Rees Mogg
    davedanon wrote: »
    Jacob.

edit: typed before I saw preceding post.
    threeball wrote: »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/7095b307-46b5-355f-a881-78cf9d57ce83

He's not in this because he loves his country and wants the north to become an economic powerhouse again.

The Brexit means Brexit at ant cost will say that is just clever by him but if it was someone from the EU they say there must be insider dealing. (Not that they be wrong but both do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Nobody has mentioned Phil Hogan being appointed the EU Commissioner for Trade. A cynic might suggest that's a big glorious PFO to the British.

At any rate, with Richard Neal, a lifelong advocate for Ireland in US politics, as head of the US Congress House Ways and Means Committee that is responsible for US trade deals, the Irish are punching way above their weight by holding these positions.

He’s done us no favors as agri minister... mercosur will f*** what is left of our agri sector.
    Now he’s free rein on trade.... I hold no hope for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

threeball wrote: »

Ben Habib, an MEP for the Brexit Party, would put Jacob to shame. He has put aside £180 million to invest in property when prices collapse after Britain crashes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

screamer wrote: »
    He’s done us no favors as agri minister... mercosur will f*** what is left of our agri sector.

Yep. Time to gear up for the future
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/do-you-realize-mad-max-fury-road-is-a-miracle-1707000166

Mercosur is in the balance with the Amazon fires. And anyway I thought there was only a tiny amount of Argie or Brazilian beef involved.

Mercosur is in the balance with the Amazon fires. And anyway I thought there was only a tiny amount of Argie or Brazilian beef involved.

Mercosur will 100% happen regardless of the international disgrace that is the Amazon fires. Germany immediately shot down any idea that the deal would be put on ice. Their big pharma and motor companies have too much money to lose if it doesn't for the sake of a few farmers and rainforest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Phil "Trickle" Hogan is a nasty piece of work.

No better man for the post.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,602 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Buts thats all part of it.....
    Simply put WW 2 is central to understanding everything Britian has done since 1945 when it comes to foriegn affairs.

Not entirely sure what all this has to do with anything, but while Remembrance events / Poppy day are certainly remembered I think the rest is overstated as far as ordinary people are concerned.

I was born less than two years after the end of WWII and discussion or mention of the war was something that just did not happen in my childhood, either at home or in my immediate environment. Certainly not at school.

Several family members were injured fighting, one died. My mother worked making parts for planes and my dad was in the army. She spoke fondly of the people she had been billeted with, they made her part of the family, but otherwise throughout my childhood and teens into my twenties it was not something I was particularly aware of.

Maybe in some parts of society there was 'nostalgia', not in working class north of England, they were too busy making a living. I do agree that there was a patriotic and sentimental music at times, but how is that any different to 'Four Green Fields' and 'A Nation once Again'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Have you seen the other FF/FG/SF garbage that ran Kilkenny City into the ground? Phil Hogan is a saint compared to those twits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ben Habib, an MEP for the Brexit Party, would put Jacob to shame. He has put aside £180 million to invest in property when prices collapse after Britain crashes out.

I wonder did he have the foresight to convert it to Euro before putting it aside.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I wonder did he have the foresight to convert it to Euro before putting it aside.

Fair point!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They told Brazil to drive on in the Amazon with Mercosour.

Not as if the fires were lit the first time this year.

It's already off the News.

Bolsanoro knows the EU has no concerns th a t will cause them to act, cheap talk for the media aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

So he is expecting a big post brexit no deal bounce. He is hardly gonna invest it to lose it.

So he is expecting a big post brexit no deal bounce. He is hardly gonna invest it to lose it.

Disaster capitalists buy up assets during a crash when they are at their lowest ebb (and the population in shock).

He's assuming that property prices will nosedive. He'll then buy up some well located properties and sit on them for a few years. As the economy slowly recovers, property prices will increase. Maybe in 5-10 years he'll make a tidy profit. Think Ireland 2008.

I strongly reccomend Naomi Klein's 'Shock Doctrine' as a brilliant read on disaster capitalism in general.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shock_Doctrine

https://www.easons.com/the-shock-doctrine-naomi-klein-9780141024530

He's assuming that property prices will nosedive. He'll then buy up some well located properties and sit on them for a few years. As the economy slowly recovers, property prices will increase. Maybe in 5-10 years he'll make a tidy profit. Think Ireland 2008.

So everyone acknowledges the UK recovers from No deal

I strongly reccomend Naomi Klein's 'Shock Doctrine' as a brilliant read on disaster capitalism in general.

I read that years back and her others. It is very simplistic but did raise an interest in the chicago boys which took me to Rand, Rothband, Friedman and others and libertarianism, to crypto, crypto communities, bitcoin and semi retirement before 40 .

So yeah, I know her work.

Jesus christ.

There's another handy guide on how to profit from economic chaos. It's called Blood In The Streets. It was co-written by a chap called Sir William Rees Mogg.

Jesus christ.

Chile is the most prosperous, stable and developed economy in the otherwise chaotic south america..just sayin

• Advertisement

Of course. How much they can recover and how long it takes is an altogether different matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement