Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

FunLover18 wrote: »
    "Boris Johnson’s suspension of UK Parliament is unlawful, judges at Scotland’s highest civil court rule"

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1171712198688854016?s=19

Does this mean MPs can retake their seats again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

"Boris Johnson’s suspension of UK Parliament is unlawful, judges at Scotland’s highest civil court rule"

The judges have ruled that Johnson's administration effectively misled the queen. The government will appeal and it will go to the supreme Court on Tuesday. A lot of MPs calling for Parliament to be recalled but i would imagine they'll have to wait till the SC ruling.

There's another handy guide on how to profit from economic chaos. It's called Blood In The Streets. It was co-written by a chap called Sir William Rees Mogg.

His Daddy wrote one as well https://www.amazon.co.uk/William-Rees-Mogg-Sovereign-Individual-Hardcover/dp/B00RWNLZ0M/ref=sr_1_2?adgrpid=58496924076&gclid=CjwKCAjwtuLrBRAlEiwAPVcZBufeJ8q7K3wmn1Qy-xfNljIIfHUIpadEUiVtv-yceo_soIBRMev7vhoC8nUQAvD_BwE&hvadid=291326838631&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007850&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=8621375782161936558&hvtargid=kwd-329903874684&hydadcr=2305_1795097&keywords=the+sovereign+individual&qid=1568195744&s=gateway&sr=8-2

If there is another election, any candidate standing in North Somerset should sue the covers of these as election posters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

People like Crispin Odey who made £330 Million on shorting the pound ahead of the Brexit Referendum; and James Hanbury. Also Sir Paul Marshall who was instrumental in persuading Gove (and hence Johnson) to change from Remain to Leave.

They are definitely just waiting in the wings for things to go south and then swoop in to get UK assets at rock bottom prices. Hey who cares about huge social disruption, food shortages and increased mortality rates. That's a price they're willing to pay. :rolleyes:

Maybe not quite swooping in, but ...lawyers.
    They are going to have a field day with Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Aegir wrote: »

Actually, the same person wrote both - William Rees Mogg. They would be excellent posters but Jacob has a large majority. Still, no harm in sticking it to Jacob at every opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 vaginitis

Duty free shopping when traveling between Ireland and the UK, bring on the hard brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

On the contrary, the UK needs to get it's head around the fact that they are not calling the shots, they do not hold all the cards, and they can't plonk some gunboats outside Brussels and metaphorically threaten to open fire - that's sooo last century.

It is not the EU that is holding up Brexit. It is the utter inability of the UK government to get a deal that is acceptable to their own Parliament.
    The EU, for their part, has an agreed deal on the table.

Dammit. I was planning a day off from the Brexit soap opera but now I'm going to have to put the telly on to watch this latest drama. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

screamer wrote: »
    He’s done us no favors as agri minister... mercosur will f*** what is left of our agri sector.
    Now he’s free rein on trade.... I hold no hope for us.

Mercosur isn't great for the beef sector I will admit (which is doing a damn good job of shooting its self without any help from Mercosur) but its hardly the disaster for agri that its begin portrayed..

• Advertisement

So everyone acknowledges the UK recovers from No deal

Rees Mogg recons it will happen in 50 years..

Depends on if the UK can keep its single market together. I seen the DUP are now referring to the integrity of the UK single market as paramount to the GFA

What you you mean single market ?

The UK with its self ??

Keeping the UK together.. Now that's a different story..

How bloody hard is it to understand.

The EU are not stopping the UK leaving. The EU are not doing anything.

The UK envoked Article 50, the UK cannot reach agreement within parliament, the UK asked for an extension still couldn't reach a consensus and asked for a second extension which it pissed away on a Tory leadership competition, a holiday, a tory internal civil war.

This is a UK clusterfu*k for the UK to resolve. The EU is stuck dealing with the collateral damage and a Tory party trying to do what they have allways dome blame the EU when things go wrong..

The EU are not stopping Brexit the UK are..

We need to question seriously the claims the EU have any democratic principles.

It needs to be put out there that they need to wind their neck in as this EU army talk, fedralisation and all that might end up with Brussels needing regime change.

WTF do you care ? The UK are going it will have nothing to do with them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

"We need to question seriously the claims the EU have any democratic principles."

Funniest, most deluded thing I've read all week. Including Boris/Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

davedanon wrote: »
    Funniest, most deluded thing I've read all week.

Oh the irony :rolleyes:

Sorry that was the Threxit interim period. Now entering the article 50 period so I'm off until the 31st Oct. Ill still be watching though. Bye.

touche

#threxit. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Dammit. I was planning a day off from the Brexit soap opera but now I'm going to have to put the telly on to watch this latest drama. :mad:

I think your safe taking the day off. The same case taken by Gina Miller was thrown out of the supreme court last week, it will be the same for this one.

Are you the UK? Always threatening to leave and never following through...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

So the new leader of the EU, what's her face, Ulrika, nobody cares is now rowing back on the EU army talk after the US made it clear it was 100% behind the UK brexit and was planning to use its support to put the EU back in its box. Nobody is surprised at this.

The US followed by the UK are NATO and the rest are tinpot militaries who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

UK needs to take a leaf out of the US playbook more and talk at the EU and not to it...much better results that way when dealing with the most paper of tigers.

• Advertisement

I think your safe taking the day off. The same case taken by Gina Miller was thrown out of the supreme court last week, it will be the same for this one.

Do you ever do any research before you post?

Gina Miller's case was unsuccessful in the High Court - it won't be heard by the Supreme Court until 17th Sept.
    A legal challenge over Prime Minister Boris Johnson's decision to suspend Parliament has been rejected in the High Court.

The case was brought by businesswoman Gina Miller, who argued the move was "an unlawful abuse of power".

Rejecting Ms Miller's case, Lord Chief Justice Lord Burnett said she could immediately appeal because of the important points of law at stake.

The appeal is expected to be heard at the Supreme Court on 17 September.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49604584

Boris exploring the viability of a bridge from Northern Ireland to the mainland

• Registered Users Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So the new leader of the EU, what's her face, Ulrika, nobody cares is now rowing back on the EU army talk after the US made it clear it was 100% behind the UK brexit and was planning to use its support to put the EU back in its box. Nobody is surprised at this.

The US followed by the UK are NATO and the rest are tinpot militaries who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

UK needs to take a leaf out of the US playbook more and talk at the EU and not to it...much better results that way when dealing with the most paper of tigers.

Just totally delusional like the most fervent Brexiteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I don’t think the U.K. could beat Argentina right now if they took back the falklands. Be worth a try.

^^

Anyone else remember the "my daddy could beat up your daddy" talk at primary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Eh, Germany, France, Italy: tinpot militaries???

Do you really think the EU could take the UK sabre rattling as anything other than a complete and utter joke??? Thrumpeteer is 100% behind Brexit (subject to wind changes of course), not the US (they give less than a crap tbh), regardless of what you might think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I don't think a bridge to Norway is financially or practically feasible.

I don’t think the U.K. could beat Argentina right now if they took back the falklands. Be worth a try.

You clearly don't have a clue and despite all your internet talk I actually know about this....even every bit of the islands you mentioned.

It would be faster today then back then, that's how easy it would be.

Maybe he has some special plants for bridges laying around after the Thames Garden Bridge fiasco he needs shot of...
    Of the total spent by the Garden Bridge Trust, £43m was public money – £24m from Transport for London and £19m from the Department for Transport, TfL said on Wednesday.

The rest of the money came from donations to the trust, or fundraising activities.

The final sum has been reached after an official review into the costs of ending and winding up the project, which collapsed amid acrimony in August 2017. The review decided that a final £5.5m in DfT funding should be given to the trust as part of the cancellation agreement.

Announcing the figures, TfL said the eventual cost was significantly lower than it could have been. However, serious questions remain about how the project was able to spend so much money, and the extent to which the then London mayor, Boris Johnson, backed the scheme.

The figures show that 40% of the money, £21.4m, went to the French-based contractors Bouygues. The trust faced significant criticism for signing a construction contract before all the stipulated conditions for work to begin had apparently been completed.

Johnson signed a directive as mayor in 2016 which watered down some of the conditions that had to be met before more public money was released. Questioned by the London assembly last year on why he did this, Johnson said he could not remember.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/13/garden-bridge-charity-spent-535m-with-no-construction-tfl-finds

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »
    I don't think a bridge to Norway is financially or practically feasible.

Boris bridge from Ulster is all over the news. Google it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement