Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

VinLieger wrote: »
    Very likely a different result if held today, also wasn't a key claim by the stay campaign something about being in the eu?

Yeh but they can't have a second referendum on independence because will of the people or something like that. It's not like anything's changed or new info has come to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blinding wrote: »
    But not enough to Vote themselves to be an Independent Country = Bottlers !

The Scots were lied to...and as we know, dem chickens always come home to roost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Yeh but they can't have a second referendum on independence because will of the people or something like that. It's not like anything's changed or new info has come to light.
    Sure of course they can have another Scottish Independence referendum if they win a General Election on such a manifesto . Who would dare stop them .

Sure if some party wins the overall General Election on another Brexit referendum manifesto then they can have one . I wonder why only the Lib Dems ( Uk wide-ish ) are willing to run on such a manifesto .

Why are the Rotten MPs in the Rotten Parliament so afraid of facing the Electorate ?:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thank god they didn't vote for chaos with Ed Miliband

6a00d83451cbef69e2022ad3a53a96200d-pi

The Scots were lied to...and as we know, dem chickens always come home to roost.
    Like the Chickens in the Rotten Parliament = Yellow...chicken noises:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Why is everyone ignoring the elephant in the room????

Where is Spitting Image while all this is going on????

Thank god they didn't vote for chaos with Ed Miliband

6a00d83451cbef69e2022ad3a53a96200d-pi
    Or maybe Corbyn if he can ever be found to come out and fight a General Election . That old broiler sure is afraid of the electoral pot :eek:

Like the Chickens in the Rotten Parliament = Yellow...chicken noises:eek::eek:

What Parliament? Some honourable upstanding PM who wants to have a No Deal Brexit has suspended it.

What Parliament? Some honourable upstanding PM who wants to have a No Deal Brexit has suspended it.
    Sure its nearly up and doing nothing again :eek:

As Conor McGregor would say .’ They’ll do Nothing , Nothing , Nothing .

Won’t Piss or get off the Pot . :eek::eek:

Sure its nearly up and doing nothing again :eek:

As Conor McGregor would say .’ They’ll do Nothing , Nothing , Nothing .

Won’t Piss or get off the Pot . :eek::eek:

The reality is the UK is beaten. They just have to admit it now and take the necessary evasive action.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Sabre's are all they have left to rattle as the Royal Navy is so severely under funded (by the Tories) there are petitions going to 'save it'.

https://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/the-state-of-the-rn/

I wouldn't get sucked in to that debate. The armed forces have been under threat due to cuts since Nelson was a boy.

Project fear, by chance?

Aegir wrote: »
    Project fear, by chance?

Lies Aegir...lies.

Were Arlene and Nigel told lies yesterday too...we'll wait and see.

Lies Aegir...lies.

Were Arlene and Nigel told lies yesterday too...we'll wait and see.

like the "Lie" about there being a hard border?

I think that one has been nicely settled now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Does the aircraft carrier have any planes yet?

Anyway I remember when the Iranians took over that navy ship that time. Piece of cake.

The Yanks are going to lend them some F35s in return for a trade deal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

you may run that by us again - how can you avoid a hard border?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Did I miss something?

How exactly has it been settled?

Not vague blah blah about 'this could be done' or yada yada 'technical solutions' but an actual signed agreement.

I ask because I just heard some Tory MP on the BBC (didn't catch his name) saying things were looking up but the Irish government have proven to be reluctant to enter into discussions but perhaps now they would. Which doesn't sound to me like anything has been settled and there is an attempt to blame ROI gov for that. Do you know something he doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

But not enough to Vote themselves to be an Independent Country = Bottlers !

Can you expand on that statement by explaining who was lied to and by whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I wonder would a scottish independence referendum tank even further after all this , considering the lack of options available in a pull out arangement.

For whatever the tories are doing, letting the SNP in charge of leaving would be laughable

What 'lie' was that?

Ireland said it would insist on a deal that ensures 'No Hard Border'.

There isn't one as it stands.

Everybody knew what would happen if the UK parliament reneged on the deal agreed with the EU by the UK negotiating team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭gjim

The US followed by the UK are NATO and the rest are tinpot militaries who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.
    France has considerably more military capability than the UK.

Did I miss something?

How exactly has it been settled?

Not vague blah blah about 'this could be done' or yada yada 'technical solutions' but an actual signed agreement.

I ask because I just heard some Tory MP on the BBC (didn't catch his name) saying things were looking up but the Irish government have proven to be reluctant to enter into discussions but perhaps now they would. Which doesn't sound to me like anything has been settled and there is an attempt to blame ROI gov for that. Do you know something he doesn't?

Well no, that's it.

The Scots were told there would be a hard border between England and Scotland, as an external border of the EU. The SNP claimed this was part of project fear.

The issue around the Irish border show that it is a reality.

Bambi wrote: »
    The Yanks are going to lend them some F35s in return for a trade deal

like these?

Well no, that's it.

The Scots were told there would be a hard border between England and Scotland, as an external border of the EU. The SNP claimed this was part of project fear.

So the Irish border issue isn't settled.

Which is also the EU/UK land border.

It matters not a fig what the Scots were told as I'm fairly sure the Sectarian violence the Irish Government, the EU, and those in NI who don't have their Unionist ideology blinkers firmly welded on are so desperate to avoid didn't occur in Scotland bar minor outbreaks by bully Billy Boys.

Well no, that's it.

The Scots were told that their place in the EU would be secured by voting 'No'.

How does that one register on the lie-ometer?

Here's a few more porkies.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/holyrood/870775/17-broken-promises-better-together-campaign-revealed-independence-day/

So the Irish border issue isn't settled.

Which is also the EU/UK land border.

It matters not a fig what the Scots were told as I'm fairly sure the Sectarian violence the Irish Government, the EU, and those in NI who don't have their Unionist ideology blinkers firmly welded on are so desperate to avoid didn't occur in Scotland bar minor outbreaks by bully Billy Boys.

I didn't say the Irish border issue was settled.

Read what I said again.

Better Together saying that there would be hard border between England and Scotland was not a lie and was not part of project fear.

The arguments for Scotland leaving the UK were pretty much the same as the UK's arguments for leaving the EU and in both instances, the remain campaigners warnings were writen off as "Lies" and "Project Fear".

The odd thing is though, there are a number of posters on here who believe those warnings with regards Brexit, yet write them off as "Lies" when it comes to Scotland.

Because a number of posters on here have a very very obvious agenda.

The Scots were told that their place in the EU would be secured by voting 'No'.

How does that one register on the lie-ometer?

Here's a few more porkies.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/holyrood/870775/17-broken-promises-better-together-campaign-revealed-independence-day/

aah Francis, you're off again.

When do you hate the UK so much? what is it about the United Kingdom that makes you feel so threatened?

aah Francis, you're off again.

When do you hate the UK so much? what is it about the United Kingdom that makes you feel so threatened?

Somebody can't deal with the content of a post. :rolleyes:

I didn't say the Irish border issue was settled.

Read what I said again.

Better Together saying that there would be hard border between England and Scotland was not a lie and was not part of project fear.

The arguments for Scotland leaving the UK were pretty much the same as the UK's arguments for leaving the EU and in both instances, the remain campaigners warnings were writen off as "Lies" and "Project Fear".

The odd thing is though, there are a number of posters on here who believe those warnings with regards Brexit, yet write them off as "Lies" when it comes to Scotland.

Because a number of posters on here have a very very obvious agenda.

Apologies, I read your post as referring to the border in Ireland not a potential border between Scotland and England.

But - at the time of the Scot Ind Ref both were in the EU, Scotland intended on remaining in the EU (still wants to by a large majority) so there would have been no need for any kind of a border whatsoever. No reason it couldn't have been as currently exists between ROI and UK.

So it was kinda scaremongering.

• Advertisement

Apologies, I read your post as referring to the border in Ireland not a potential border between Scotland and England.

But - at the time of the Scot Ind Ref both were in the EU, Scotland intended on remaining in the EU (still wants to by a large majority) so there would have been no need for any kind of a border whatsoever. No reason it couldn't have been as currently exists between ROI and UK.

So it was kinda scaremongering.

Scotland isn't in the EU, the UK is. Scotland would be an independent country and would need to apply for membership. It would cease to benefit from any EU trade deals and be subject to trading with the rest of the world on WTO terms. This would mean the need for a hard border.

First they would have to establish some form of border protection, as this isn't a devolved competency, demonstrate to the EU that they can successfully manage these borders, apply for membership and demonstrate they have met all the membership criteria.

Presuming of course, that is what people wanted. As the debacle over Rockall demonstrated, the Scottish Fishing industry is a very powerful lobby and they wanted out of the eu. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/04/scotland-fishing-federation-ministers-brexit-eu-referendum

If the UK leaving the EU is a cluster****, Scotland leaving the UK would be even worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement