Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

fantasy. There is people in whitehall and washington instructed that the backstop can't happen. These are forces more powerful than anyone in the EU.

What? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

screamer wrote: »
    Wel the UK now has to accept that they cannot have their cake and eat it. They don’t want a deal but the deal they want to give them all the benefits of eu without the responsibilities. Ain’t gonna happen, so off they go let them lose. What they don’t realize is that when they come looking for .the same deal it ain’t gonna happen and my money is on them seeking re- admission within 3 years if not sooner. They’re gonna see some drops in their standards of living and no doubt it will be a very tough place for non white britons as I’d fear racist attacks will be widespread in post Brexit Britain.
    Sure, sign up to the terms of the WA first, oh and by the way a few states want access to fishing waters as a pre-condition, Spain has some things it wants to discuss about Gibraltar, Cyprus has a few issues also. Oh and as a further by the way, sign up to the euro here, forget about the rebate and there'll be a few more items too, we'll let ya know. Cries of bullying will abound but the EU will simply respond, sorry mate, our first job is to look after our members interests and well this is the shopping list, take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Man, Boris meets leo, Leo confirms that the backstop is vital #237, the British conservatives say the Irish are softening their stance. I have no beef with the British conservatives but they can f*** off and lie in their own bed, you cannot negotiate with people like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Sure, sign up to the terms of the WA first, oh and by the way a few states want access to fishing waters as a pre-condition, Spain has some things it wants to discuss about Gibraltar, Cyprus has a few issues also. Oh and as a further by the way, sign up to the euro here, forget about the rebate and there'll be a few more items too, we'll let ya know. Cries of bullying will abound but the EU will simply respond, sorry mate, our first job is to look after our members interests and well this is the shopping list, take it or leave it.

Backstop is impossible for any nation to sign. EU must know that.

How does the UK free itself from the trap afterwards? All out war?

Border poll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

They come up with something else that works.... duh or shock fecking horror they let Northern Ireland become independent.
    Peace in this island is more important than optics on the neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

fantasy. There is people in whitehall and washington instructed that the backstop can't happen. These are forces more powerful than anyone in the EU.

Sure sure, the US will ride in to save the UK from its own stupidity. Lets just ignore that the US is highly protectionist and led by a man who only cares about how the US can exploit its partners in any deal, and that US law makers have warned that a trade deal with the UK will be blocked if peace in NI is undermined by Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Come up with the alternatives that they have been claiming exist for 3 years now?

The Backstop only kicks in if they can't come up ith the much vaunted alternatives or want to mess about during the trade deal negotiating round. If they were honest brokers the 'backstop' wouldn't annoy them one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

No there wont be. Any extra paperwork will be done by them companies, not on the ground by the drivers. Its blatant scaremongering by the remain side. Port operators have come out and said wtf are they talking about.

The great thing about your theories is you cannot be wrong. If there is a hard Brexit and the delays do materialise you can just blame the EU for bullying poor old England..

What? :confused:

Crypto believes that the US and UK will work together after Brexit to destroy the EU through what he calls "regime change". Its little bits of crazy like this that got him permabanned from the other Brexit thread.

• Advertisement

It's ridiculous to think that the us has more positive than negative sentiment toward their former colonial masters, lol

Must troll better

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rocksolidfat

The fact that you think the UK is more powerful than the EU says anything and everything it needs to about your credibility, to be honest.

The US is not either by a long, long shot when talking about EU matters as this is, but the UK? Absolutely hilarious stuff there, mate.

knipex wrote: »
    The great thing about your theories is you cannot be wrong. If there is a hard Brexit and the delays do materialise you can just blame the EU for bullying poor old England..

There’s a rude awakening coming for the Brexit boyos. Have a look for a program covering the Swiss border and see the delays and frustrations there even with truckers with paperwork.
    Shortages in the shops will happen because the supply chains will not be able to continue the just in time replenishment needed to keep them in food. It will happen that’s not fear that’s certain.

Must troll better

Given how the British government has managed Brexit, all out war might be the solution the UK needs. It would go so badly for the UK that the EU would be overwhelmed with having to care for British POWs and refugees. The EU might just have to capitulate under the strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Leo is a walking, talking pile of humiliation. I have absolutely no respect for him. I'm ashamed that a person like him represents our country.

I'm rather proud of him and love love love that he represents our inclusive, intelligent, progressive, modern and big hearted small country so well.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I'm rather proud of him and love love love that he represents our inclusive, intelligent, progressive, modern and big hearted small country so well.

Nah, he gets no love from me either.
    I’d prefer to see him over in Europe crossing the ts and dotting the is with them on the EU plan for Ireland post crash out Brexit than having a mc muffin with Borris any day

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Must troll better

Given how the British government has managed Brexit, all out war might be the solution the UK needs. It would go so badly for the UK that the EU would be overwhelmed with having to care for British POWs and refugees. The EU might just have to capitulate under the strain.
    Internet warriors like crypto there is as real as it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The same as they did when they decided to hand over Hong Kong island and the associated territory that they did not *have* to hand back to the Chinese......by walking away and forgetting about it ;)

The same as they did when they decided to hand over Hong Kong island and the associated territory that they did not *have* to hand back to the Chinese......by walking away and forgetting about it ;)

That had a 100 year lease. What a stupid comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,818 ✭✭✭buried

It's in a trap already. Been in it since over 40 years ago when an Australian tycoon took over the tabloid media and brainwashed a good cross section of the general UK public into his bidding. Go war with that foreign twat. Probably too late now though.

That had a 100 year lease. What a stupid comparison.

The only stupid thing is the inaccuracy of your response and your lack of knowledge.

Here's a little history lesson for you:

China had ceded HK island and some other territories to Britain (probably after one of the opium wars, but the exact reason is not pertinent). This was ceded in perpetuity. Later on, the British realized they did not have enough land to securely support the growing colony in terms of resources like food etc. and so they agreed to lease additional land (for 99 years or something like that) from the Chinese. This was the land that would have to be returned (if the Chinese did not extend the lease). The Chinese wanted their leased land back and the British decided to give it all back........even though they didn't have to.

As I said, walked away and forgot about it.......and their subjects in Blightly forgot about it too....which is why people think they *had* to give it all back at the end of the lease. They didn't.

Edit: Just to be clear. They had to give the leased part back. But they also gave back the additional original parts they had taken/been given that were not leased. They could have kept these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

They could not of kept them,the chinese would of kicked their ass with one hand tied behind their back

The only stupid thing is the inaccuracy of your response and your lack of knowledge.

Here's a little history lesson for you:

China had ceded HK island and some other territories to Britain (probably after one of the opium wars, but the exact reason is not pertinent). This was ceded in perpetuity. Later on, the British realized they did not have enough land to securely support the growing colony in terms of resources like food etc. and so they agreed to lease additional land (for 99 years or something like that) from the Chinese. This was the land that would have to be returned (if the Chinese did not extend the lease). The Chinese wanted their leased land back and the British decided to give it all back........even though they didn't have to.

As I said, walked away and forgot about it.......and their subjects in Blightly forgot about it too....which is why people think they *had* to give it all back at the end of the lease. They didn't.

Edit: Just to be clear. They had to give the leased part back. But they also gave back the additional original parts they had taken/been given that were not leased. They could have kept these.

Sign,,,For me to respond to this it will be an essay and it's late. You haven't a clue on this and i'd even question your sauces on both.

Sign,,,For me to respond to this it will be an essay and it's late. You haven't a clue on this and i'd even question your sauces on both.

You won't respond to it because it is true and you were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Leo is a walking, talking pile of humiliation. I have absolutely no respect for him. I'm ashamed that a person like him represents our country.

That’s a bit vitriolic. Did he steal your boyfriend or something???

Which of his actions as Taoiseach made you feel this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Treaty of Nanking gave the UK the rights to Hong Kong in perpetuity.

The 1898 treaty gave them the New Territories, for 99 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Mr Trump is indeed correct I believe.

The Brits were an arrogant super power when they made the Chinese sign the lease on the new territories and they never *really* thought that the day would come when they would have to give them back.

They could not of kept them,the chinese would of kicked their ass with one hand tied behind their back

Yes. They could *have* kept them. You are simply incorrect. The same as they kept Gibraltar. It likely would have cost them a lot of money to keep them supplied, but at no stage was there any threat of military annexation of the non-leased territories from the Chinese.

The British agreed to hand it back in the 1980's. Long long before there was any idea of the Chinese state growing to have the influence they might have today.

• Advertisement

This is rather convinient, "I could refute your argument, but I wont... because... reasons".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement