Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

blinding wrote: »
    Many of the MPs both Labour and Conservative lied at the General Election . They promised to respect the Brexit Referendum result but have done the direct opposite .

Funnily enough Re-mainers are not too concerned about the lies these MPs told . Go figure !:eek:

How have they done the opposite? We're still leaving?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Yeah, you're just taking the p*ss now.

If the lies were cut by 50% during the referendum, the conversation would have been entirely different over the last 3 years.
    Fair Enough ! The Re-Mainers told some right Porkies .

David Cameron saying that if he did not get a deal from the Eu that he would back Leave . The Eu rubbed his nose in their Excrement and he then said Vote Remain . :eek::eek::eek:

I don’t know how those re-mainers can look themselves in the Mirror .

How have they done the opposite? We're still leaving?
    Only because the MPs are afraid of the Electorate and the Brexit Party .

Ya got to admire the British . They ain’t no Irish Lapdogs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

The Referendum has not been respected . You can’t really have referendums if you do not accept the democratic decision of the people .

The referendum, which in reality was a plebiscite as it carries no legal power, was respected. The EU immediately (before the UK government even activated article 50) began preparing the way for an orderly exit.

Theresa May then activated Article 50.

Nobody, not the EU and not the British Government can magic away all the practical consequences of dismantling what is one of the most complex set of interconnections of trade and policy that any group of countries have ever entered into probably in history.

The UK then proceeded to have an unbelievably agressive argument with itself and set all sorts of redlines that have made any practical way of exiting next to impossible without causing a major economic or social mess.

The Northern Ireland situation has been left to the DUP, one of the more extreme players in what is effectively a civil war about identity politics and they've bizarrely been placed in the position of king maker / king breaker due to parliamentary arithmetic.

So the referendum was respected. It's just that it isn't magic. You've voted to plunge the UK into chaos and that's precisely what's happened.

At no stage has the EU blocked the UK from leaving and has actually been continuously trying to extend the hand of friendship only to have it bitten every time.

If the UK wants to go tomorrow morning, it can. The economy will probably collapse and there'll likely be a run on sterling and nobody knows what happens to all the Brits around the EU when it comes to rights to reside, healthcare etc etc but those are are practical consequences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

gettyimages-576855020-0.jpg?w968

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

They invoked Article 50 and agreed a deal to leave. The referendum was respected. Democracy worked until it came back to parliament to be ratified and it was mainly Brexiteers who blocked them leaving.

Explain how this is the EU's fault please?
    Plenty of Labour MPs could have backed the deal if they wanted to . Its not as if Jeremy Corbyn can expect party discipline with his voting record down the years .

Only because the MPs are afraid of the Electorate and the Brexit Party .

Can you answer my question please instead of spouting this drivel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

What's with this type of nonsense? Are you twelve?

<SNIP>
    Jeremy Hunt said the other day that he made sure that the NHS got their £350 Million . Well done Boris and Jeremy .

Both now ardent Brexiteers .

Jeremy Hunt said the other day that he made sure that the NHS got their £350 Million . Well done Boris and Jeremy .

Both now ardent Brexiteers .

Proof please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

"Getting on with Brexit" would mean them having to admit the thing is a disaster.

The reason they are spinning it out and stalling for time is to conceal it is a car crash (whilst assuring the public it is the best idea ever and that cancelling it would mean the end of democracy in the UK).

What's with this type of nonsense? Are you twelve?
    The Irish are Eu Lapdogs . The British are not Eu Lapdogs . Both facts are correct .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Strazdas wrote: »
    "Getting on with Brexit" would mean them having to admit the thing is a disaster.

The reason they are spinning it out and stalling for time is to conceal it is a car crash (whilst assuring the public it is the best idea ever and that cancelling it would mean the end of democracy in the UK).

my theory is theyre just waiting till the economy softens anyway so they can do brexit and blame 'prevailing market conditions' for sterling falling off a cliff.

Proof please.
    I am sure in the unlikely event that Jeremy had erred that the Re-Mainer Rabid Dogs would have been all over it .

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Plenty of Labour MPs could have backed the deal if they wanted to . Its not as if Jeremy Corbyn can expect party discipline with his voting record down the years .

Wait...in this vaunted democracy of yours, people don't have the free will to do as they think best or even, perish the thought, change their minds?

Are you entirely sure you know what 'democracy' means? :rolleyes:

I am sure in the unlikely event that Jeremy had erred that the Re-Mainer Rabid Dogs would have been all over it .

Can you not find a single link?

Strazdas wrote: »

Maybe they are playing for time as they prepare more and more for Brexit . I don’t see Leo or anyone else pushing them out . Maybe they are playing Leo and Co . Sure ya only have to Flash a Camera to distract Leo !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Jeremy Hunt said the other day that he made sure that the NHS got their £350 Million.

That's a head-scratcher seeing as they haven't actually left yet and they were never giving £350 million a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Maybe they are playing for time as they prepare more and more for Brexit . I don’t see Leo or anyone else pushing them out . Maybe they are playing Leo and Co . Sure ya only have to Flash a Camera to distract Leo !

Can you supply a link to your claim please?

Can you not find a single link?
    I actually follow politics and heard Jeremy say that he had delivered the £350 million for the NHS . Maybe you should try actually try following politics if you are going to comment on it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

my theory is theyre just waiting till the economy softens anyway so they can do brexit and blame 'prevailing market conditions' for sterling falling off a cliff.

If they leave with no deal on the 31st, Sterling will plummet when the markets open on the 1st.

It will be some hard sell to convince people it is unrelated. :pac:

I actually follow politics and heard Jeremy say that he had delivered the £350 million for the NHS . Maybe you should try actually try following politics if you are going to comment on it .

You heard Cameron saying stuff too and didn't believe him.

Why would you take a Tory at his word? Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

that would seem like a quote that some paper would have picked up on,

Link please.

Boggles wrote: »
    If they leave with no deal on the 31st, Sterling will plummet when the markets open on the 1st.

It will be some hard sell to convince people it is unrelated. :pac:

You'll get plenty on here blinding us with spin that it isn't related. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The elephant in the room is that everyone in a position of authority secretly knows the thing is a disaster but cannot admit to this as 'people voted for it'.

A lot of the Leave voters though are too dense to realise this and actually believe the pro-Brexit propaganda.

No. That link is well over a year old and quotes Theresa May.

For the fourth time, link please.

• Advertisement

Amazing how no one in the Eu is Pushing them Out . The Eu must really need that £39 billion;):p;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement