Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭mattser

Danzy wrote: »
    The British could give a **** what the Unionists think or how the North voted.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

threeball wrote: »
    Ha, when Johnson said he was coming back with a proposal to Brussels I bet the DUP didn't think it was going to be this. They'll soon find out how treasured they are by the British public and her Majestys Government. Delighted that their propensity to go against everything has finally come back to bite them in the ass in the worst way they could imagine.

I’m surprised it’s taking this long to be honest. Seems like the obvious way forward. The brexit supporting public and politicians couldn’t care less about the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A source tells me DUP leaders are being squeezed by Johnson heavies: agree to something close to the backstop or reconcile yourselves to joint authority with Dublin and a Border poll.

independent.ie/Martina Devlin

I'm pretty sure they can't impose Joint Authority but open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they can't impose Joint Authority but open to correction

There's a short discussion about that here on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm sorry if this isn't allowed but it's brilliant and quite clever if you listen to the words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭swampgas

This made me laugh - best description of Dominc Raab I've seen yet:
    "Dominic Raab, the man who is only one backfiring moped away from a nervous breakdown and a not inconsiderable murder spree."

From: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/16/brexit-latest-news-boris-johnson-talks-juncker-eu-must-show-flexibility-says-raab-ahead-of-boris-johnsons-key-meeting-with-juncker-live-news-latest-news#comments

And he's the foreign secretary ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Nice sentiment from Bettel
    Q: Did you hear any new proposals from Johnson? Do you think you are making good progress?

Bettel says the only proposal on the table is the withdrawal agreement. He says the clock is ticking. The EU will not accept any proposal that undermines the Good Friday agreement. The Irish are part of the EU family, he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

A friend of mine was just back from a wedding in London. She mentioned the service was incredibly bad both in the hotel they stayed and the 2 restaurants they celebrated in. She mentioned they (the wedding party) had been discussing this and surmised it was because all the 'good' workers were gone. Anyone who was uncertain in job prospects and could move have done so Already. Purely conjecture I know, but interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    A friend of mine was just back from a wedding in London. She mentioned the service was incredibly bad both in the hotel they stayed and the 2 restaurants they celebrated in. She mentioned they (the wedding party) had been discussing this and surmised it was because all the 'good' workers were gone. Anyone who was uncertain in job prospects and could move have done so Already. Purely conjecture I know, but interesting.

I can't speak for minimum wage earners in London like you find in hotels and restaurants, but for me and other Irish/EU friends I've made here not a single one has left since the referendum result. One couple did think on it as they weren't keen on having to pay for private schooling for the kids (London) but after working out the hit to their careers/prospects/salaries from having to downgrade to Dublin, it didn't make financial sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

I can't speak for minimum wage earners in London like you find in hotels and restaurants, but for me and other Irish/EU friends I've made here not a single one has left since the referendum result. One couple did think on it as they weren't keen on having to pay for private schooling for the kids (London) but after working out the hit to their careers/prospects/salaries from having to downgrade to Dublin, it didn't make financial sense.

I moved back from London last year, along with my partner who's job as a consultant in the NHS has still not been refilled. I wouldn't say I moved because of Brexit, there were personal and financial reasons, but Brexit was probably one of the things that made us start considering it.

Being Irish we had no concerns about actually losing our rights, but we were looking to buy a house and there was just too much economic uncertainty. We were in a position where financially the move made sense.

But one of the reasons we started considering it was probably the fact that in the last few years, you couldn't turn on a tv or read a newspaper, or sometimes get into a conversation in a pub, without being reminded how unwelcome EU migrants are and being reminded that this isn't really your home.

I know 3 other people personally who've moved back to other parts of the EU in the last year, again not specifically because of Brexit but I think it's raised awareness that moving back is an option.

quokula wrote: »
    But one of the reasons we started considering it was probably the fact that in the last few years, you couldn't turn on a tv or read a newspaper, or sometimes get into a conversation in a pub, without being reminded how unwelcome EU migrants are and being reminded that this isn't really your home.

I definitely haven't had that experience but sucks for you. I actually bought a house (hooray!) at the start of the Summer. I'm not looking at it as an investment though, it ticked all the boxes we had and I'm happy out. I did a search on daft.ie with the same price for Galway (nearest city to home). Had a good old chuckle at the returned madness.

The Luxembourg PM, Xavier Bettel, was surprisingly articulate and pointed yesterday in his defence of Ireland and of the Good Friday Agreement at that meeting with Johnson.

What's his angle? Is it something as selfish as Ireland being an ally in the defence of tax havens low corporation tax now that the British are leaving?

Are the minutes of the meetings of the EU heads of state ever revealed? Are they all given the same script or what's happening?

Whatever, it is, it was absolutely refreshing to hear such support amid all the reports on our impending economic turmoil because of Brexit. Likewise with the much more powerful supportive voices in the EU and the hugely powerful Richard Neill and Nancy Pelosi in the US Congress who came out fully behind Ireland's position.

Johnson increasingly comes across as somebody whose bluff has well and truly been called.

PS: Were the protestors in Luxembourg British?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Luxembourg PM, Xavier Bettel, was surprisingly articulate and pointed yesterday in his defence of Ireland and of the Good Friday Agreement at that meeting with Johnson.

What's his angle? Is it something as selfish as Ireland being an ally in the defence of tax havens low corporation tax now that the British are leaving?

Are the minutes of the meetings of the EU heads of state ever revealed? Are they all given the same script or what's happening?

Whatever, it is, it was absolutely refreshing to hear such support amid all the reports on our impending economic turmoil because of Brexit. Likewise with the much more powerful supportive voices in the EU and the hugely powerful Richard Neill and Nancy Pelosi in the US Congress who came out fully behind Ireland's position.

Johnson increasingly comes across as somebody whose bluff has well and truly been called.

His own ex-pats apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't think there is an angle, no doubt the Brexiters will be along any minute to contradict me but I think it was borne out of a genuine frustration with the Brits and Johnson in general. Johnson and his cabinet keep saying they've put forward alternative proposals for alternative arrangements for Ireland and the EU keep contradicting them, I know who I believe.

I think the protesters were British expats. Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ltd440

Maybe if there is an angle it's let the puny countries like Ireland and Luxembourg tell the hulk (boris) a few home truths.
    Namely that we know your not bringing anything to the table and maybe the British people should hear it from EU heads.
    This way it shouldn't be seen as bullying, compared to say Germany or France telling it like it is.
    Ps can we stop calling British citizens living abroad expats, Polish or Irish living in the UK are not given the same privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

ltd440 wrote: »
    Maybe if there is an angle it's let the puny countries like Ireland and Luxembourg tell the hulk (boris) a few home truths.
    Namely that we know your not bringing anything to the table and maybe the British people should hear it from EU heads.
    This way it shouldn't be seen as bullying, compared to say Germany or France telling it like it is.
    Ps can we stop calling British citizens living abroad expats, Polish or Irish living in the UK are not given the same privilege

100%. They're ex-pats only because they're claiming pensions from Britain and availing of EU healthcare. Not very patriotic. Parasites on the country they left behind and the country whose languages they chose to ignore.

But now, they're panicking and moving back to Blighty. According to friends, parts of the Med coast of Spain are becoming great value for Europeans looking for a holiday property or full-time residence.

https://twitter.com/HackedOffHugh/status/1174075639688761347

Aside from the humour, worth noting dick brains comments - 'get parliament out of the way'. Ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

How do they not see the irony in saying they want to get Parliament out of the way and then calling remainers tyrants? Do they just not care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Dubl07 wrote: »
    100%. They're ex-pats only because they're claiming pensions from Britain and availing of EU healthcare. Not very patriotic. Parasites on the country they left behind and the country whose languages they chose to ignore.

But now, they're panicking and moving back to Blighty. According to friends, parts of the Med coast of Spain are becoming great value for Europeans looking for a holiday property or full-time residence.

No, that is not what an expat is, Luxemburg has a very strong financial sector, with most of those workers living in Belgium, their cost base is their home office in England, that is what makes the expats.

Like most City Finance people they were strongly for Remain, more so for these expats as they live in the EU.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    How do they not see the irony in saying they want to get Parliament out of the way and then calling remainers tyrants? Do they just not care?

They are fascists. When they do it 'it is right'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

490631.png

More good news for the DUP.

I'm not being sarcastic when I say that I believe people in Britain have more respect for nationalist parties like the SDLP than the DUP. They have really damaged the image of unionism with their carry on.

https://twitter.com/SophieRose19x/status/1173966659788398593
    I'd say Francois loved this - plod for the day. Looks like he is leading the charge into a pub here.

Actually wondering how he is allowed to impersonate a police officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

J Mysterio wrote: »
    https:/twitter.com/SophieRose19x/status/1173966659788398593I'd say Francois loved this - plod for the day. Looks like he is leading the charge into a pub here.Actually wondering how he is allowed to impersonate a police officer.
    That's pretty cringeworthyly funny,remember when he did this which is also worthy of mention in the Mark Francois 'hall of shame'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

J Mysterio wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SophieRose19x/status/1173966659788398593
    I'd say Francois loved this - plod for the day. Looks like he is leading the charge into a pub here.

Actually wondering how he is allowed to impersonate a police officer.

He has form on impersonation. He's been impersonating a Member of Parliament for years.

Maybe he is training for when Britain "explodes".

Wage growth continues to outpace inflation, record employment levels and (anecdotally) a sh!t hot jobs market around for me and the missus. Shame that Brexit still looms, the UK would be absolutely smashing it these past few years if it were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EEv8IgbW4AE9lM7?format=jpg&name=small

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement