Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Northern Irish-only solutions to the future of the border with the Irish Republic, provided they did not infringe the region’s constitutional status within the UK.

That is exactly what the origional backstop was (despite the pretence of the DUP), can't see the EU having any problem with arangements made on that basis with the strict condition that they have equilivent effect to the backstop in the existing WA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    That is exactly what the origional backstop was (despite the pretence of the DUP), can't see the EU having any problem with arangements made on that basis with the strict condition that they have equilivent effect to the backstop in the existing WA.

The original WA was much more than that. Agri checks is not a NI backstop. Backstop was everything as is now, fishing, people, ECJ, everything.

And the WA was never to be reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And it hasn't been in 3 years.

How many days left now?

And it hasn't been in 3 years.

How many days left now?

What you are talking about now as your new NI arrangements will have to have the WA reopened. First to remove the term backstop from NI future as it locked it in.

What you are talking about now as your new NI arrangements will have to have the WA reopened. First to remove the term backstop from NI future as it locked it in.

What 'new arrangements' of 'mine' are you talking about?

There isn't even a concrete proposal on the table here, just ideas that have been rejected before.

• Advertisement

The original WA was much more than that. Agri checks is not a NI backstop. Backstop was everything as is now, fishing, people, ECJ, everything.

The backstop is much more than mere agri-checks and any proposed alternatives will also have to be much more than that. Lets be clear here, the proposal around SPS checks and the single eletricty markets are not going to cut it. An alternative can be consdiered, but it has to have equilivent effect to the backstop. The proposals, such as they are, fall far short of that and wont be acceptable in their current form.

The WA contains specific provision allowing for alternative arangement to be explored and where they are found to be sufficient to achieve the objective, to be adoped over the backstop. If the UK manages to pull that particular unicorn out of the hat in the next few days, then why not hear them out? I wont be holding my breath though.

What 'new arrangements' of 'mine' are you talking about?

There isn't even a concrete proposal on the table here, just ideas that have been rejected before.

Did you read the Brexit Secretary statement today. It was in Spain but aimed to be read EU wide.

The backstop is much more than mere agri-checks and any proposed alternatives will also have to be much more than that. Lets be clear here, the proposal around SPS checks and the single eletricty markets are not going to cut it. An alternative can be consdiered, but it has to have equilivent effect to the backstop. The proposals, such as they are, fall far short of that and wont be acceptable in their current form.

The WA contains specific provision allowing for alternative arangement to be explored and where they are found to be sufficient to achieve the objective, to be adoped over the backstop. If the UK manages to pull that particular unicorn out of the hat in the next few days, then why not hear them out? I wont be holding my breath though.

The UK was always looking for alternative arrangements as they are a good neighbour. Not childish or petty like we have seen the EU.

Did you read the Brexit Secretary statement today. It was in Spain but aimed to be read EU wide.

Where he scare mongered the Spanish in the same manner they tried here?

Yes, nothing much new, just an increased pitch of desperation if you ask me, and continued misinterpretation of the GFA.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The UK was always looking for alternative arrangements as they are a good neighbour. Not childish or petty like we have seen the EU.

I must say I do admire your fanatical devotion to the cause. No straw left unclutched.

And now tractor production is up 300%. Wonderful news!

And refuse to accept that there are no alternative arrangements.

Yes, nothing much new, just an increased pitch of desperation if you ask me, and continued misinterpretation of the GFA.

Which was more desperate? the brexit minister of the behaviour of the Lux PM

And refuse to accept that there are no alternative arrangements.

Yet they are now saying a deal an happen?

Bettel looked genuinely angry to me. The Brexit Minister is an ineffective (in the UK's interests) bully boy.

Yet they are now saying a deal an happen?

A deal can happen, and always could if the UK comes up with satisfactory alternatives for the Backstop. ZERO change there.

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1174771851475767297?s=20

That if true, is a total collapse of the EU position. KO.

Boris wins.

The shame, the shame.

That was exasperation, not desperation, you silly man. It was probably a bit unnecessary , but I laughed my socks off at it. If only Ian Hislop had been there to put a tub of lard on the podium as a Boris substitute, it would have been just perfect.

The Brexit minister.
    Johnson ran off rather than face a few dozen non-believers, at least Barclay managed to make a statement, but then again when the content of the statement is an appeal to Europe to be more willing to take risks with peace in NI, it is not exactly an improvement.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    That was exasperation, not desperation, you silly man. It was probably a bit unnecessary , but I laughed my socks off at it. If only Ian Hislop had been there to put a tub of lard on the podium as a Boris substitute, it would have been just perfect.

I laughed more at the backpedaling and distancing of themselves from the Lux leader. That coupled with what Junker says in his last tweet just screams "botted it"

I laughed more at the backpedaling and distancing of themselves from the Lux leader. That coupled with what Junker says in his last tweet just screams "botted it"

A practiced, wily old politician like Juncker offers some emollient words to smooth things over and you jump up and down crying "Surrender. Surrender. We've won!"

You're like a human embodiment of the Telegraph.

A practiced, wily old politician like Juncker offers some emollient words to smooth things over and you jump up and down crying "Surrender. Surrender. We've won!"

How many times have we been here before?

Same as May was booted out over Brexit means Brexit and then offering the worlds worst WA, I also take serious the comments of EU leaders including Leo when they say the WA is closed and all that is on offer is a little side letter with warm words.

If they differ from that now, and there is no backstop, or even the NI backstop. Its bottling it.

Agri and the like is not a NI only Backstop. The NI only Backstop was full alignment until the EU said otherwise and border for all goods down the Irish sea.

I recken that is gone...no matter how you dress it.

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1174771851475767297?s=20

That if true, is a total collapse of the EU position. KO.

Boris wins.

The shame, the shame.

It's easy to take a small clip out of context. How does your claim of a total collapse of the EU position tally with his insistance, in the same interview that "if the objectives of the backstop, all of them, are met then we don't need the backstop"? In other words he is saying that as long as the backstop is put in place, he does not care if the UK chooses to rename it "alternative arangements". Imagine getting so excited for something that amounts to no more than a name change.

It's easy to take a small clip out of context. How does your claim of a total collapse of the EU position tally with his insistance, in the same interview that "if the objectives of the backstop, all of them, are met then we don't need the backstop"? In other words he is saying that as long as the backstop is put in place, he does not care if the UK chooses to rename it "alternative arangements". Imagine getting so excited for something that amounts to no more than a name change.

No, not at all.

He means that alternative arrangements are offered up....and by the sounds of it, for a number of but not all of what the backstop did.

YOur pride is typing your words.

Same as May was booted out over Brexit means Brexit and then offering the worlds worst WA, I also take serious the comments of EU leaders including Leo when they say the WA is closed and all that is on offer is a little side letter with warm words.

If they differ from that now, and there is no backstop, or even the NI backstop. Its bottling it.

Agri and the like is not a NI only Backstop. The NI only Backstop was full alignment until the EU said otherwise and border for all goods down the Irish sea.

I recken that is gone...no matter how you dress it.

Reckon what you like, the objectives of the backstop will have to be met regardless of what you choose to call it. If you think a few SPS checks will do it then you are deluded.

Reckon what you like, the objectives of the backstop will have to be met regardless of what you choose to call it. If you think a few SPS checks will do it then you are deluded.

Remember what the backstop did. They need to hold it or they bottled it.

I bet it is much much less or a time limit or something. Remember the time limit is not a backstop according to some

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Advertisement

No, not at all.

He means that alternative arrangements are offered up....and by the sounds of it, for a number of but not all of what the backstop did.

YOur pride is typing your words.

Alternative arangement were allways on offer, as long as they fulfilled the objectives of the backstop (oll of them, not just some). That is still the case and if the UK can come up with arangements that satisfy the requirements of the backstop then why should the EU be botherd?

The EU seeking to trap the UK in the backstop was a Brexiteer lie, not reality. The EU was never wedded to the backstop, it was and is wedded to the outcome that the backstop was created to achieve. If the UK agrees to alternative arangement that achieves the same outcome than all is well and good. How the outcome is achieved is a matter to be decided, but that it must be achieved as part of any deal is not in question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement