Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Spectator article is a year old as well. Was this followed through?
    Stevens is about to get what he demanded. Theresa May plans to give the NHS a present, ahead of its 70th birthday in July — a settlement of 3 per cent extra a year, which would mean that by the next election NHS spending would be £350 million a week more than it is today.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

blinding wrote: »
    Amazing how no one in the Eu is Pushing them Out . The Eu must really need that £39 billion;):p;)

Back up your claim about the NHS please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

No. That link is well over a year old and quotes Theresa May.

For the fourth time, link please.
    Thats a perfectly good Link and another poster has also posted other Links .

Take those Eu Blinkers off . Britain is going to Brexit .

Why isn’t Leo or anyone else pushing them out the door . What is wrong with the Eu . Does it really need that British £ 39 billion that much ?:eek::eek::eek:

Why isn’t Leo or anyone else pushing them out the door . What is wrong with the Eu . Does it really need that British £ 39 billion that much ?:eek::eek::eek:

I read them. They're quotes from Theresa May. You said the NHS had already received the funding. For the sixth time, link please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Spectator article is a year old as well. Was this followed through?

Considering the plan talks about 2023, I'd say nothing has happened yet. There's no real mention of how it's going to be funded so you're looking at either increased borrowing (which would be an issue if Britain were to leave with No Deal and renege on their EU Divorce settlement) or increased taxes so in essence Hunt is taking credit for something that might happen in the future and if it does is going to come at a huge cost to the electorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

WHy would they, up to this point, be pushed out the door? Nobody WANTS the UK to leave because of the damage it will do, not to mention the damage it will do to the UK.

This isn't the 1800's, things don't work that way anymore. Much as some of the British would like they did.

I read them. They're quotes from Theresa May. You said the NHS had already received the funding. For the sixth time, link please.

It's another lie, in a long list of lies and bluster. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That Daily Mail piece by May is basically saying shít is going to get a lot more expensive after Brexit and we are going to shaft you in taxes.

I imagine she felt okay saying it because it was the Daily Mail and your average reader wouldn't read past the headline. :pac:

Considering the plan talks about 2023, I'd say nothing has happened yet. There's no real mention of how it's going to be funded so you're looking at either increased borrowing (which would be an issue if Britain were to leave with No Deal and renege on their EU Divorce settlement) or increased taxes so in essence Hunt is taking credit for something that might happen in the future and if it does is going to come at a huge cost to the electorate.

Blinding claimed that Jeremy Hunt had made sure that the NHS had got the promised money. I'm just asking for proof. Quotes from a failed and former PM do not substantiate this. Maybe I should give it up and add it to the list of blinding's nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

knipex wrote: »
    What EU Beef deal ??

There is a proposed TRADE deal with a trade block in South America. As part of that deal there will be some import of South American Beef.

The beef industry has assured us for decades that our Irish Grass fed beef is far far superior so there shouldn't be an issue. Irish beef also competes on international markets against South American beef.

It is one tiny part of a larger trade deal with a huge market,,

Fair enough. I am uninformed about the contents of the deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Amazing how no one in the Eu is Pushing them Out . The Eu must really need that £39 billion;):p;)

The £39 billion is to be paid in instalments over a period of ten years - the Leave voting public won't even be aware of this fact though, taking their cue from Farage and the Daily Telegraph instead

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They can't leave its just too complicated and the consequences are largely unknown. It's a nasty saga though and has shown again politicians are party before country, they don't care a damn only for themselves.
    The fact they occupy a part of a country that will remaining in the EU has made the task virtually impossible.

This will be drawn out further after October and they will spend further time in economic and political purgatory.

WHy would they, up to this point, be pushed out the door? Nobody WANTS the UK to leave because of the damage it will do, not to mention the damage it will do to the UK.

This isn't the 1800's, things don't work that way anymore. Much as some of the British would like they did.
    The Eu and Leo are trying to Play Hardball but are still unwilling to Push the Brits out . All Fur Coat and no Knickers .

How desperate are they for the £39 Billion ?

The Brits will be fine as I am sure the Eu will be , why can’t the Brits and the Eu be good neighbours . That would be the best Result for Ireland

rob316 wrote: »
    They can't leave its just too complicated and the consequences are largely unknown. It's a nasty saga though and has shown again politicians are party before country, they don't care a damn only for themselves.

This will be drawn out further after October and they will spend further time in economic and political purgatory.

Compare and contrast to here. There is almost unanimity in the Dail on how Brexit is to be handled.
    When the chips are down here, it is great to see that. Like most families, we might argue and fight like cats and dogs among ourselves but can operate as a united unit if there is a threat from outside.

Blinding claimed that Jeremy Hunt had made sure that the NHS had got the promised money. I'm just asking for proof. Quotes from a failed and former PM do not substantiate this. Maybe I should give it up and add it to the list of blinding's nonsense.

Yeah, there's nothing substantial to it at all - I was just providing some sources for the information. For Hunt to take any credit for anything in the NHS is laughable.

Here is a good overview of his actual time in charge of the NHS.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-hunt-conservative-party-nhs-prime-minister-junior-doctors-a8963141.html

The Eu and Leo are trying to Play Hardball but are still unwilling to Push the Brits out . All Fur Coat and no Knickers .

The Brits will be fine as I am sure the Eu will be , why can’t the Brits and the Eu be good neighbours . That would be the best Result for Ireland

Last I read the British had agrred to pay the divorce bill.

And Leo and the EU have no interest in pushing the British out. That would be irrational and counterproductive for everybody. Grown up politics in action.

I'm fully of the opinion Brexit especially NO DEAL will be a disaster for Ireland, Varadkar will do everything to get the EU to extend further if needs be.

Compare and contrast to here. There is almost unanimity in the Dail on how Brexit is to be handled.
    When the chips are down here, it is great to see that. Like most families, we might argue and fight like cats and dogs among ourselves but can operate as a united unit if there is a threat from outside.
    Didn’t Leo accuse Martin of fiddling behind the Alter or something:eek::eek::eek:

Didn’t Leo accuse Martin of fiddling behind the Alter or something:eek::eek::eek:

Yes...didn't you read what I said...they might fight like cats and dogs among themselves and that spat was about internal affairs not external.

Try again.

Last I read the British had agrred to pay the divorce bill.

And Leo and the EU have no interest in pushing the British out. That would be irrational and counterproductive for everybody. Grown up politics in action.
    If the brits don’t get a deal acceptable to them they will pay fook all. Why would they . they are not Leo , Actually offering to pay more of Irish taxpayers money just to get his tummy tickled . That guy is an embarrassment !

• Advertisement

I'm fully of the opinion Brexit especially NO DEAL will be a disaster for Ireland, Varadkar will do everything to get the EU to extend further if needs be.

It will be bad for us, but we have the mechanism to recover from it and will be stronger...membership of the EU.

Yes...didn't you read what I said...they might fight like cats and dogs among themselves and that spat was about internal affairs not external.

Try again.
    Jaysus , Martin will have to force an election if Leo gets dirty . Chicken Martin .

If the brits don’t get a deal acceptable to them they will pay fook all. Why would they . they are not Leo , Actually offering to pay more of Irish taxpayers money just to get his tummy tickled . That guy is an embarrassment !

And destroy themselves on the world stage = a rogue country.

Don't you see that actions have consequences...try thinking beyond giving somebody a bloody nose. I.E. grow up a bit and think like an adult here.

It will be bad for us, but we have the mechanism to recover from it and will be stronger...membership of the EU.
    That deal on the Beef doesn’t look to good for Ireland . When the Brits leave the Eu Elites interest in ireland will wane . Leo may even have to tickle himself !:eek::eek::eek:

Yeah, there's nothing substantial to it at all - I was just providing some sources for the information. For Hunt to take any credit for anything in the NHS is laughable.

Here is a good overview of his actual time in charge of the NHS.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-hunt-conservative-party-nhs-prime-minister-junior-doctors-a8963141.html

Ah yeah. No worries. I'd actually no idea that Theresa had made that pledge. I don't think it would have been viable even if she were still PM.

This whole kick the brits stick is wearing thin lads, hold your hate for England for the good of our economy please.
    Nearly half of who voted realized the whole thing was a braindead idea, they are who I feel sorry for been led off a cliff by Farage and the brainwashed masses.

That deal on the Beef doesn’t look to good for Ireland . When the Brits leave the Eu Elites interest in ireland will wane . Leo may even have to tickle himself !:eek::eek::eek:

It has never been any different in any trade deal that has been done and there have been many. Swings and roundabouts.

It is only the British that seem to think that trade deals have to be stuffed full of unicorns for their side only. Too used to invade and plunder most likely. ;)

If the UK renege on the divorce bill, their credit ratings will be shot to shyte meaning the cost of borrowing money to keep the country running will increase dramatically. On top of that, they would be locked out of any trading relationship with the EU until it is resolved. It would be a stupendously dim-witted move.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This whole kick the brits stick is wearing thin lads, hold your hate for England for the good of our economy please.
    Nearly half of who voted realized the whole thing was a braindead idea, they are who I feel sorry for been led off a cliff by Farage and the brainwashed masses.

I think it's obvious the British (English) hard right, far right are the ones under discussion here.

Nobody associates Dominic Grieve, Anna Soubry, John Major, Ken Clarke, Vince Cable etc with Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

They will pay whatever the bill is be a they are locked into paying that to keep ongoing projects running, cover the pensions and cost of work of their diplomats in EU. If Britain doesn't pay the settlement can they stop paying Nidge whatever he is supposed to get for his longstanding service to Britain in European Parliament.

Also do you really think EU will say we can do whatever trade you want even if you pay nothing. Yeah that will work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement