Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

20Wheel wrote: »
    it certainly has progressed in eastern europe.

and again, don't worry about eu standards relative to others, the eu wasn't formed with the intention of being better than others.

if everyone in peru becomes a billionaire, guess what ... its not going to make much of a difference to you or me.

It will for me as i will be in Lima laughing at the mugs in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 21,751 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It will for me as i will be in Lima laughing at the mugs in the EU

If everyone is a billionaire in one country, the individual standard of living will probably be the same as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

If everyone is a billionaire in one country, the individual standard of living will probably be the same as it is now.

They would be able to import much more per capita than they do now, which would elevate their standard of living.

They would be able to import much more per capita than they do now, which would elevate their standard of living.

Really? You don't think the market is going to adjust to negate the benefit to an individual should they become a billionaire if everyone in the country has become that wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Britain will not leave on October 31st. That is my prediction now. They are in no way prepared for leaving, let alone anything else.

Anyway, if they DO leave without an EU deal, let's see how soon they will muster something with China, the US and wherever else on the planet they think they have the upper hand on Trade Deals.

For one thing it will be a one way trade agreement, that is for sure. The cap in hand country will be fleeced. But so be it.

And in the midst of it all we have the Labour Party tearing itself to shreds with Momentum, the left wing version of ERG. I know things have eased WRT Watson on the say so of Corbyn, but it will fester. They are some chancers trying to do this in the midst of a Brexit crisis. They are no better, and perhaps are worse than their opposite numbers. No wonder some are fearful of a Communist coup in the LP.

But anyway, yawn..... here we go again down to the effin wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,284 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So having a democratic vote and following through on the reulst is considered "rogue" in your eyes?

Were Denmark a "rogue" state when they voted no in the Maastricht treaty? Or Ireland on Nice and Lisbon treaties?

Ah so you're not comparing them to actual "rogue" states you have just decided that is the label you will use as another Brit bashing stick :rolleyes:

You jumped to the North Korea and Iran conclusion all on your own Timberrrr which says more about your state of mind tbh.

I am taking the whole picture of what is going on and what the UK is trying to do. You are pointing to normal behaviours of country's like Denmark etc.

Your defensiveness also says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Japan is a good target but lets be honest, its all about China and they are nuts about the British...from its Universities, culture, royals and history to buying up its real estate and being the sponsor on every football club because they they the nation watches its every move back home.

So nuts that they get a whopping one per cent of their imports from the UK. Germany sells them five times as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Really? You don't think the market is going to adjust to negate the benefit to an individual should they become a billionaire if everyone in the country has become that wealthy.

If I am earning 50k pa then I will buy a Nissan Micra from Britain and some bananas from Ecuador. If I then become a billionaire, because everyone in the country is now a billionaire, I will buy a Rolls Royce from Britain and as many bananas as I like from Ecuador.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,419 ✭✭✭✭road_high

First Up wrote: »
    So nuts that they get a whopping one per cent of their imports from the UK. Germany sells them five times as much.

That’s because unlike the UK Germany sells precision products that are well regarded and sought after. Uk sells a tea drinking fantasy and pics of the Queen

These UK have loads the Chinese want. Have you ever lived in China or traveled the region overall? They are obsessed with brand UK and stick a union jack on it and they love it.

On the luxury goods end they love the royal warrant on anything from gloves to tins of biscuits and this is before you start pumping in the quality services the UK can provide.

The UK, it's history, it's pomp and its whole brand is something the highly aspire too and is almost the only one in Europe that they do.

They know german engineering, french wine and italian fashion but it is the UK that they are obsessed with...from period drama to the royals.

That must explain why JLR sales are slipping there so much.- Not enough Union Jacks! They don’t want quality or precision engineering so dumb are they in their tastes

• Advertisement

Services plus British Beef and Farming products, esp when free of EU regulations

Yes the food will be even less desirable to the wider world as it’ll also be poorly regulated/quality as well non competitively priced.

AFAIK Ireland sells a humungous amount of baby formula to China. That's one positive tick in our favour.

Will want to be some trade deal to override the very significant shipping costs which will be involved.

That massive Australian market of...25 million people

AFAIK Ireland sells a humungous amount of baby formula to China. That's one positive tick in our favour.

Funnily enough because it’s a high quality competitive product. Like German cars. See they don’t just buy things with Union flags and pics of the Queen stuck on!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

road_high wrote: »
    That must explain why JLR sales are slipping there so much.- Not enough Union Jacks! They don’t want quality or precision engineering so dumb are they in their tastes

i did wonder about how many chinese he could have met to come up with this conclusion that they all like union jacks/flags.

and their inability, in the home of the counterfeit, to produce their own knock-off union flag stamps/badges still puzzles me.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

The US is the UKs biggest export

No its not.

UK exports to the US equate to 40% of what its exports to the EU.

Services plus British Beef and Farming products, esp when free of EU regulations

The British Beef is going to be able to compete in US markets with US Beef ?? especially with UK beef farmers getting no EU grants or supports ?

knipex wrote: »
    The British Beef is going to be able to compete in US markets with US Beef ?? especially with UK beef farmers getting no EU grants or supports ?

He’s probably planning on dissolving the current British family farm structure into US mid-west type prairies. Then selling the produce to China and Japan at world prices with pics of the Queen and Union Jacks on the packaging.
    Prince Charles being a great supporter of organic food I’m sure there’s some angle they can use to hoodwink those dumb Chinese- as we know they’ll buy any old crap as long as it evokes images of afternoon tea and cricket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Now attempt to bring your offended siege mentality into another thread. :rolleyes:

Have to say, it is fascinating to see who you guys think you are being compared to...Iran and North Korea???

You are showing a rather insecure sensitivity atm, no doubt.

Francie,it`s no secret that you are fascinated with everything about the UK-perhaps you should relocate here?
    As regards "rogue nations" -look up who is regarded as a "rogue nation"-the list includes iran and north korea-so unfortunately for you it`s Timberrrrrr who`s wiped the floor with you this time.
    You really need to think before you post nonsense...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

road_high wrote:
    That’s because unlike the UK Germany sells precision products that are well regarded and sought after. Uk sells a tea drinking fantasy and pics of the Queen

The UK sells some precision products to China (and everywhere else). Problem is that many of those products include components the UK gets from EU suppliers, or that go to/from EU countries as part of their production process.

It remains to be seen how much of that survives the queues at Dover under the "no deal" banner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

knipex wrote: »
    No its not.

UK exports to the US equate to 40% of what its exports to the EU.

Can we ask crypto.. to lay out his figures?

lawred2 wrote: »

You can ask.......

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Francie,it`s no secret that you are fascinated with everything about the UK-perhaps you should relocate here?
    As regards "rogue nations" -look up who is regarded as a "rogue nation"-the list includes iran and north korea-so unfortunately for you it`s Timberrrrrr who`s wiped the floor with you this time.
    You really need to think before you post nonsense...:rolleyes:

You really need to have those who criticise the UK as 'floor wipes' :)

You guys, Timberrrrr and yourself defined 'rogue nation'.

I never said the UK are Korean and Iranian levels ...yet, but they are certainly behaving as a rogue nation within the EU.

I am beginning to think that the hubris and arrogance of UK Government negotiators is waning a bit now.

There may be no alternative now, but another possibility is (yes, yawn...) a further extension hopefully for two to five years whilst a GE takes place. Well there is precedence for an extension for an election.

Trump may be gone by then, but who knows either, it is just a possibility. We know Putin will still be there and he is pulling the strings. If we know this, why the heck does UK not realise they are just marionettes. Baffled.

They don't seem to have a clue anymore. Hard Brexiteers are sounding a bit desperate now, with nothing to say apart from "the will of the people". Everyone has seen through the lack of preparation now.

But who knows, maybe this is what the UK wanted all along. A big hiatus/extension, and another, and another, and stay in EU in the end. Fanciful I know, but honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You can ask.......

I really want to see them..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Quality of life has not really progressed. We have more tech from the fast developing regions that may improve our lives while other regions living standards accelerate the EUs just plods along. Something to be very concerned about as it is causing serious disconnect in many nations and a major factor in Brexit.

Ireland was so stable during the crash and now because it was only a short time ago Ireland was the poorest nation in the EU so they still see life everyday as a win....others don't

This is actually bang on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

20Wheel wrote: »
    well heaven forbid.

if eu can bumble through the global credit crisis then it can get through low growth too.

periods of low growth come and go. quality of life in europe is consistently very good.

Growth as is for the last decade and forecast in most of the EU for next 5 will erode living standards.

Let them eat cake is not an option.

Problem is that the period of low growth is going on and on and likely to for years to come.

The markets now presume that Qe will go on in Europe indefinitely.

Anything to avoid the Japanification of the Eurozone. If that happens then I'd doubt democracy would survive across all of Europe, nevermind the EU and Euro.

Yet the measures to avoid it lead to the ECB being locked in to an insane balance sheet, nevermind the skewing of the economy that qe is causing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

You really need to have those who criticise the UK as 'floor wipes' :)

You guys, Timberrrrr and yourself defined 'rogue nation'.

I never said the UK are Korean and Iranian levels ...yet, but they are certainly behaving as a rogue nation within the EU.

`Wipe the floor`is`nt implying someone is a `floor wipe`as you`re trying to say.It means your argument is easily shown to be wrong,as shown in this link.
    https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/wipe-the-floor-with-someone

RobMc59 wrote: »
    `Wipe the floor`is`nt implying someone is a `floor wipe`as you`re trying to say.It means your argument is easily shown to be wrong,as shown in this link.
    https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/wipe-the-floor-with-someone

Which you haven't demonstrated.

All the two of you have done is fire some invective around about bitter posters.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote:

Crypto breaks down trading figures by country so he treats the EU as 27 different countries not a single market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement