Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The point i am making is that maybe she wasnt as welcome here as mattser suggested,mostly only welcomed by politicians and various hat doffers

She was pretty welcomed by all, just because people weren't thronging the streets waving union jacks doesn't means the majority of people didn't recognise it as an important moment helping to put some of our shared history behind us and moving forward. Brexit has obviously fvcked all that good work up but things were moving forward quite positively thanks to her visit and specifically her words at the dinner in Dublin castle.

Also as you well know there is still unfortunately an ignorant minority in this country who would wish her harm for their own selfish petty reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

VinLieger wrote: »
    She was pretty welcomed by all, just because people weren't thronging the streets waving union jacks doesn't means the majority of people didn't recognise it as an important moment helping to put some of our shared history behind us and moving forward. Brexit has obviously fvcked all that good work up but things were moving forward quite positively thanks to her visit and specifically her words at the dinner in Dublin castle.

Also as you well know there is still unfortunately an ignorant minority in this country who would wish her harm for their own selfish petty reasons.

I would never wish her harm or violence in any way,i just detest the notion of royalty,and royalty from any country but obviously british royalty has connotations with this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Those many countries that respect her most likely havnt suffered the atrociites committed by her ancestors

What atrocities did the Hanoverians and the Saxe-Coburg and Gothas commit on countries?

mattser wrote: »
    I think she forgot her driving licence !!

The price of the insurance was outrageous. And her a pensioner.
    They wouldn't even give Phillip a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What atrocities did the Hanoverians and the Saxe-Coburg and Gothas commit on countries?

?

Lol.

• Advertisement

But dont you think it would of been nice for her and all the welcoming public i,m sure would of been waving union jacks along the route? Why do you think they didnt do this?

*pedant alert*

I am unclear as to how one can wave a Union Jack given that is the name given to the Union Flag when it is attached to the bow of a Royal Navy ship.

So many questions... how do the ships get along the route?
    Is the whole ship going to be waved or would it be more a kind of wriggling of the line to cause a general waving kind of motion?
    Does every one in the crowd get a ship???

Would it not have been so much easier to just wave Union Flags - or tea towels - or socks.

It would be like 1911 all over again when the people of Dublin lined out and roared Huzzah Huzzah for his majesty King George V.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

*pedant alert*

I am unclear as to how one can wave a Union Jack given that is the name given to the Union Flag when it is attached to the bow of a Royal Navy ship.

So many questions... how do the ships get along the route?
    Is the whole ship going to be waved or would it be more a kind of wriggling of the line to cause a general waving kind of motion?
    Does every one in the crowd get a ship???

Would it not have been so much easier to just wave Union Flags - or tea towels - or socks.

It would be like 1911 all over again when the people of Dublin lined out and roared Huzzah Huzzah for his majesty King George V.

I think this claim has been disputed.

FunLover18 wrote: »

Dammit.
    Does this mean I won't be getting a ship if I agree to line a route and Huzzah?

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,603 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

FunLover18 wrote: »

It certainly has

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack

The claim that the term Union Jackproperly refers only to naval usage has been disputed, following historical investigations by the Flag Institute in 2013.
    [note 2] Graham Bartram (born 1963), a British vexillologist who is, as of 2013, the secretary-general for congresses of theFédération internationale des associations vexillologiques and the chief vexillologist of the Flag Institute, when interviewed on theBBC Broadcasting House programme on 13 October 2013, stated that either name was perfectly valid whatever the purpose. He stated that the theory that the flag should only be referred to as "Union Jack" when flown at sea was wrong.[7]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the Flag Institute?

sounds like something established in Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

lawred2 wrote: »
    the Flag Institute?

sounds like something established in Belfast.

surely if would be called the The Fleg Institute if it was established in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,685 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This gets more of a joke as each day passes.

So all the top judges now said that stopping parliament was illegal.

Two weeks ago Boris demanded an election, his enemies said no chance.

Now his enemies are demanding an election?

What's going on?

NIMAN wrote: »
    This gets more of a joke as each day passes.

So all the top judges now said that stopping parliament was illegal.

Two weeks ago Boris demanded an election, his enemies said no chance.

What's going on?

The Opposition said enough with your delaying tactics matey. We are wise to you.
    First we will make sure that No Deal is legally off the table before there will be any talk of General Elections.
    You aren't squirming your way out of this you blond buffoon.

Once the Benn Act goes through we can talk about elections except that we can't because you are proroguing parliament. Innit.

Annnnd - parliament is no longer prorogued.... sooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

NIMAN wrote: »

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

And of course this Scottish legal challenge will be thrown out of the supreme court straight away. The prorogation is perfectly legal.
    The Queen has a team of top advisers & lawyers, her proroguing parliament is perfectly legal, & will not be overturned in the supreme court, it is just wishful thinking on the part of antidemocratic remainers. Also, the PM advises the Queen to prorogue, it is her that ultimately makes the decision therefore Boris cannot be responsible.
    The same case taken by Gina Miller was thrown out of the supreme court last week, it will be the same for this one.

You are the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

You are the worst.

Himself and Crypto are very quiet today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

This is so hilariously delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

No, just wait, Boris will use his unique characteristic of 'having balls' to turn what appears to be a devastating defeat into total success!

Just you wait!!!

B0jangles wrote: »
    No, just wait, Boris will use his unique characteristic of 'having balls' to turn what appears to be a devastating defeat into total success!

Just you wait!!!

i'm sure the Blitz Spirit will see him through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

B0jangles wrote: »

Just you wait!!!
    If it was a boxing contest the referee would stop it to save him from further punishment. :)

RobMc59 wrote: »
    If it was a boxing contest the referee would stop it to save him from further punishment. :)

tenor.gif?itemid=5541443

i'm sure the Blitz Spirit will see him through.

The club down Covent Garden where the New Romantics used to hang out in the early 80s?

Thought he'd be too young to go there.

Edit: Nope he's 55 so only a teeny bit underage drinkingish.

The club down Covent Garden where the New Romantics used to hang out in the early 80s?

Thought he'd be too young to go there.

Edit: Nope he's 55 so only a teeny bit underage drinkingish.

that the one where boy george worked in the cloakroom?

that the one where boy george worked in the cloakroom?

That's the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,271 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Those claiming that the monarch has 'no power' are living in cuckoo land. The monarch and the PM just conspired to prorogue parliament. Simple as.
    The monarch does have the power to say no to the PM...even if the present one declines to get involved.

The monarch also has other powers:
    But royal prerogative is the subject of controversy, because it confers on governments the power to make major decisions without recourse to parliament. When Edward Heath brought Britain into the EEC in 1972, parliament was not consulted until afterwards. Similarly, Margaret Thatcher used royal prerogative to go to war in the Falklands in 1982.

The Queen has two individual powers that could cause a political crisis if they were ever exercised. She may refuse a government's request to dissolve parliament and call an election, if she believes a government can legitimately be formed. She also has the right to choose the prime minister: a formality in the case of a clear majority, but potentially controversial after an inconclusive general election. This almost happened in February 1974, when Labour failed to win an overall majority but the Conservatives considered power-sharing with the Liberals.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/may/16/qanda.jubilee

The monarch and the PM just conspired to prorogue parliament. Simple as.

Maybe Lizzie has a few hedge funds waiting in the wings to pick up the pieces?

or maybe it is just all part of the Reptilian conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,271 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Aegir wrote: »

If that is the best you can do here, then I think we have tacit agreement that she does have powers.

Perhaps the UK will now move to end this anachronism and turn it into a tourist attraction...but I doubt it. The majority in the UK seems to want to revert to former times rather than modernise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Aegir wrote: »

Or Lizzie and co. All have Cayman Island accounts they don't want any EU looking into?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement