Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If the UK renege on the divorce bill, their credit ratings will be shot to shyte meaning the cost of borrowing money to keep the country running will increase dramatically. On top of that, they would be locked out of any trading relationship with the EU until it is resolved. It would be a stupendously dim-witted move.

Absolutely, which is why they have actually said they will pay it.

They had to go to the IMF recently enough, so they will know what would happen if they went back not having honoured their commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

rob316 wrote: »
    This whole kick the brits stick is wearing thin lads, hold your hate for England for the good of our economy please.
    Nearly half of who voted realized the whole thing was a braindead idea, they are who I feel sorry for been led off a cliff by Farage and the brainwashed masses.
    Unfortunately that's the fringe that has all the power at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If the UK renege on the divorce bill, their credit ratings will be shot to shyte meaning the cost of borrowing money to keep the country running will increase dramatically. On top of that, they would be locked out of any trading relationship with the EU until it is resolved. It would be a stupendously dim-witted move.
    How long will Leo survive as Taoiseach if the Brits decide to play hardball with the 26 Counties . If suddenly all the staff on the West of Britain Ports are needed in the South of England (and East side of Britain )

If the Brits really wanted to they could have Leo sliding up that Bannister at number 10 Downing Street .

The Eu did not make much of an effort on Catalonia . They actually fooked the Scots on Scotland membership of the Eu in the Scottish Independence Referendum . Lets see how it plays out but little beasts tend to get trampled on when big beasts have a rumble .

One thing for sure is Leo Varakar is not up to much .

meeeeh wrote: »

They have as much power as I have.

The problem in the UK is paralysis. Brexit has exposed the fault lines in the Union. There are cracks running right through it, from Scotland, through NI, to the South of Engalnd and back to the Northeast.

Nobody has the power to move it out of this paralysis and I think they never will, the cracks will widen until it breaks apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

meeeeh wrote: »

Yes, they are speaking with great authority as if they are the UK (witness Widdecombe's "We're off!" yesterday.......by "we" she means everyone in the UK).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

blinding wrote: »
    How long will Leo survive as Taoiseach if the Brits decide to play hardball with the 26 Counties . If suddenly all the staff on the West of Britain Ports are needed in the South of England (and East side of Britain )

If the Brits really wanted to they could have Leo sliding up that Bannister at number 10 Downing Street .

The Eu did not make much of an effort on Catalonia . They actually fooked the Scots on Scotland membership of the Eu in the Scottish Independence Referendum . Lets see how it plays out but little beasts tend to get trampled on when big beasts have a rumble .

One thing for sure is Leo Varakar is not up to much .

I have no idea what this reply has to do with what I've said... So if they start to do what you describe, it'll have a terrible effect on us but what has that got to do with Leo Varadkar? If they've declined to pay the divorce bill, we won't actually have any trading relationship with them at that point so it is kind of a moot point - it would just add catastrophic damage to their diplomatic relations on top of the fact that they've already shot themselves in the head financially. At least we'll still be able to trade with the EU which is far more important to us even if it is going to cost us more shipping to France, Spain and the Netherlands.

I have no idea what this replay has to do with what I've said... So if they start to do what you describe, it'll have a terrible effect on us but what has that got to do with Leo Varadkar? If they've declined to pay the divorce bill, we won't actually have any trading relationship with them at that point so it is kind of a moot point - it would just act catastrophic damage to their diplomatic relations on top of the fact that they've already shot themselves in the head financially. At least we'll still be able to trade with the EU which is far more important to us even if it is going to cost us more shipping to France, Spain and the Netherlands.

The British might see their flotillas of Dunkirk surpassed as the rest of the EU send ships for our exports.

It would be an act by Britain that would be seen as an invasion of sorts, they'd be diplomatically destroyed and shunned.
    And they won't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The democratic process would be going back to the electorate for a new referendum and showing them the reality of the bare faced lies you were told.

The average voter wouldn't have even known what a trade deal was before the last referendum.

Leavers going around screaming about free trade deals. Are you really that stupid that you think you would get a preferential trade deal over the much larger European Bloc?

I have no idea what this replay has to do with what I've said... So if they start to do what you describe, it'll have a terrible effect on us but what has that got to do with Leo Varadkar? If they've declined to pay the divorce bill, we won't actually have any trading relationship with them at that point so it is kind of a moot point - it would just add catastrophic damage to their diplomatic relations on top of the fact that they've already shot themselves in the head financially. At least we'll still be able to trade with the EU which is far more important to us even if it is going to cost us more shipping to France, Spain and the Netherlands.
    How long would it take to get these long distance ferries set Up ? How long would they take ?

What about stuff that needs to get there quick . What about Lorries that do drop offs , part drop offs in Britain and the same on the way back . Now perhaps the Eu can buckle Britain if it wants to but there is absolutely no doubt that Britain can buckle the 26 Counties if it so please's .

rob316 wrote: »
    The democratic process would be going back to the electorate for a new referendum and showing them the reality of the bare faced lies you were told.

The average voter wouldn't have even known what a trade deal was before the last referendum.

Leavers going around screaming about free trade deals. Are you really that stupid that you think you would get a preferential trade deal over the much larger European Bloc?
    There will be no second referendum before a General Election , Nor should there be .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Apparently the EU/Mercosur deal that's just been signed took two decades to complete.

One deal : Two Decades

In the event of a no deal Brexit, doesn't Britain have to negotiate deals of similar complexity with dozens of countries and trading blocs?

Personally I feel really bad for the people of Britain who are being unwillingly dragged into this chaos, I despair of those who still cling to the lies and I am furious with the people in power who keep on telling lies because they know that they won't be the ones to suffer if and when it happens.

All sold on a windy fantasy of 'Taking Back Control' and 'National Pride'.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Apparently the EU/Mercosur deal that's just been signed took two decades to complete.

In the event of a no deal Brexit, doesn't Britain have to negotiate deals of similar complexity with dozens of countries and trading blocs?

Personally I feel really bad for the people of Britain who are being unwillingly dragged into this chaos, I despair of those who still cling to the lies and I am furious with the people in power who keep on telling lies because they know that they won't be the ones to suffer if and when it happens.
    They will be negotiating for One country not 28 ;)

How long would it take to get these long distance ferries set Up ? How long would they take ?

What about stuff that needs to get there quick . What about Lorries that do drop offs , part drop offs in Britain and the same on the way back . Now perhaps the Eu can buckle Britain if it wants to but there is absolutely no doubt that Britain can buckle the 26 Counties if it so pleased .

Stop the imperialist British wet dreaming blinding. It isn't going to happen, the world has changed if you hadn't noticed in the last 3 years.

All sold on a windy fantasy of 'Taking Back Control' and 'National Pride'.

Correct, trade deals take years to negotiate.

What about stuff that needs to get there quick . What about Lorries that do drop offs , part drop offs in Britain and the same on the way back . Now perhaps the Eu can buckle Britain if it wants to but there is absolutely no doubt that Britain can buckle the 26 Counties if it so pleased .

I genuinely don't understand the points you're trying to make here. Can the UK act the prick with the Republic of Ireland - I don't know if you're insisting on calling it the 26 Counties because you're a Unionist or what - undoubtedly it can and it could cause massive problems for us. We're at the coalface of something we had no hand, act or part in? What do you think that would achieve beyond decimating its reputation internationally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

They will be negotiating for One country not 28 ;)

And how many countries will they be negotiating with?

How many experienced trade negotiators does Britain have?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's ok - he used a wink smiley. That's a QED for a Brexit fanboy.

Stop the imperialist British wet dreaming blinding. It isn't going to happen, the world has changed if you hadn't noticed in the last 3 years.
    The Geography of the 26 Counties vis a vie the Uk has changed has it :eek::eek::eek:

Jaysus but the Eu must be powerful . Lets say that British decide that they needed all the port staff on the East side of Britain what is the 26 Counties going to do ; Invade Britain .

Just because the Eu has been tickling Leo’s belly may mean fook all . Ask the Catalonians , Ask the Scots re; their Independence Referendum .

The Brits are not nearly as daft as you think . They were not stupid enough to Join the Euro and are delighted that they did not join the Euro . Even your Rabid Eu-ers in Britain never now mention that they were all in favour of joining the Euro . You’d think they were never in favour of it now . Funnily enough these Gobdaws that were in favour of joining the Euro are the same Gobdaw Re-Mainiacs now .

The Brits are buying time for Brexit . How come Leo and Company don’t push them out ? Didn’t Macron do some mouthing but ran away and hid from the yellow vests instead .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

I don't know if you're insisting on calling it the 26 Counties because you're a Unionist or what

Having followed thus discussion for a while, I've come to the conclusion that it's for the same reason he keeps trotting out the word "lapdog"; his posts are much less about making a serious argument (as if!) in favour of the case for Brexit, or that the EU is fundamentally undemocratic, than they are about winding up his interlocutors. It's the debating equivalent of a twelve-year-old opening his mouth and showing off his chewed food. It's all about the reaction.

Lest I incur the mods' wrath for shouting "Troll!" (which I don't tend to do), I would stress that I'm not claiming this as a fact, just my own conclusion; a conclusion that has been honestly arrived at and which seems to me to be unavoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The Geography of the 26 Counties vis a vie the Uk has changed has it :eek::eek::eek:

Jaysus but the Eu must be powerful . Lets say that British decide that they needed all the port staff on the East side of Britain what is the 26 Counties going to do ; Invade Britain .

Just because the Eu has been tickling Leo’s belly may mean fook all . Ask the Catalonians , Ask the Scots re; their Independence Referendum .

I've just joined the discussion. Can somebody please interpret the above garbage for me?

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I've just joined the discussion. Can somebody please interpret the above garbage for me?

Sigh, don't even bother...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

Seathrun66 wrote: »

Allow me...(clears throat)....

"Brexit Rocks! EU Sucks!"

You're welcome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭KildareP

What about stuff that needs to get there quick . What about Lorries that do drop offs , part drop offs in Britain and the same on the way back . Now perhaps the Eu can buckle Britain if it wants to but there is absolutely no doubt that Britain can buckle the 26 Counties if it so please's .

Ferries already available and the routes tried and tested.

Supply chains already being changed, eg a lot of our computer equipment in work has come in from/through the UK, we bought a batch of PCs recently that came in from Germany through Cork. Price increase was marginal. Only downside was we were waiting a week where ordinarily we'd have it in 2-3 days. Once UK is routed out I expect the delays will go down as everything starts to come from mainland Europe.

I genuinely don't understand the points you're trying to make here. Can the UK act the prick with the Republic of Ireland - I don't know if you're insisting on calling it the 26 Counties because you're a Unionist or what - undoubtedly it can and it could cause massive problems for us. We're at the coalface of something we had no hand, act or part in? What do you think that would achieve beyond decimating its reputation internationally?
    Surely a Unionist would call it the Republic / South of Ireland .

An Irish Republican would call it the 26 Counties because its Only 26 Counties of Ireland .

Dear me. You really do think we are still in Rule Britania days don't you?

They could have ignored the GFA too but they didnt. Why? Because they know there would be a price.

They could always invade and depose the government too you know, solve all their problems or at least those problems the loony Brexiters like yourself think can be solved that way.
    Again grow up and join the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

KildareP wrote: »

Supply chains already being changed, eg a lot of our computer equipment in work has come in from/through the UK, we bought a batch of PCs recently that came in from Germany through Cork. Price increase was marginal. Only downside was we were waiting a week where ordinarily we'd have it in 2-3 days. Once UK is routed out I expect the delays will go down as everything starts to come from mainland Europe.

And the potential of a future route via an independent Scotland with EU membership. The Spanish government and others previously opposed are now saying they'd welcome Scotland back into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭KildareP

The Brits are not nearly as daft as you think . They were not stupid enough to Join the Euro and are delighted that they did not join the Euro . Even your Rabid Eu-ers in Britain never now mention that they were all in favour of joining the Euro . You’d think they were never in favour of it now . Funnily enough these Gobdaws that were in favour of joining the Euro are the same Gobdaw Re-Mainiacs now .

The Brits are buying time for Brexit . How come Leo and Company don’t push them out ? Didn’t Macron do some mouthing but ran away and hid from the yellow vests instead .:D

The EU can't "push out" the UK.
    The UK can request an extension and the EU can grant it.
    But it can't push the UK out (nor can it keep the UK in, if the UK do nothing between now and October 31st then it automatically crashes out).
    Make no mistake, the extensions are as much to benefit the EU as any perceived UK benefit. Remember - no deal prep did not stop in the EU despite the UK doing so.

Once the balance tips where it is no longer beneficial for the EU to grant extensions, it won't. The perception seems to be that time is near and should the UK seek another extension come October, it will be declined.

KildareP wrote: »

Nonsense . Didn’t they close some port in Wexford recently . If you think you can magic up this capacity ‘just like that ‘ then you are fooling yourself .

What about drop offs in Britain and the drop offs / collections on the way back from Europe . I am not saying the Brits will do it but they could by Geography Buckle the 26 Counties .

How long will it take these ferries from Ireland to Europe . Don’t even mention the Weather :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

There will be no second referendum before a General Election , Nor should there be .

Why not? The British public who voted to leave can see they were sold a pup, I for one would like the opportunity to rectify that.

Been subjected to nazi party levels of propaganda isn't democratic. Free speech sure but flat out lies is exactly that, propaganda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement