Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Its painful watching your country making a fool of itself but the more outrageous and ridiculous Johnson behaves actually helps the case for remaining as the electorate wakes up to how they've been lied to and what he and his cronies are really trying to do to the UK-wreck it for their own selfish reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,264 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The post i responded to said this

as the verdict yesterday shows they cannot shut down parliament for an indefinite period any time they want.

Yes he can. Read the judgement.
    Next time he just has to be cuter in framing his reasons.

The absurdity remains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Its painful watching your country making a fool of itself but the more outrageous and ridiculous Johnson behaves actually helps the case for remaining as the electorate wakes up to how they've been lied to and what he and his cronies are really trying to do to the UK-wreck it for their own selfish reasons.
    Why would a Country give up its Democracy for the Eu ?

There was a close but clear Vote to Leave the Eu .

At the last General Election 83% Voted for Parties that said they would respect the Democratic Decision of the People .

Anti-Democratic Re-Moaners are attempting to Subvert British Democracy . Why do you think they are running and hiding from Democracy = They know that British Democracy will turf them out .

Do not give up the Democracy of your Country for the Eu .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes he can. Read the judgement.
    Next time he just has to be cuter in framing his reasons.

The absurdity remains.

Peregrinus has already answered this much better than i can. You're talking nonsense.

blinding wrote: »
    Why would a Country give up its Democracy for the Eu ?

There was a close but clear Vote to Leave the Eu .

At the last General Election 83% Voted for Parties that said they would respect the Democratic Decision of the People .

Anti-Democratic Re-Moaners are attempting to Subvert British Democracy . Why do you think they are running and hiding from Democracy = They know that British Democracy will turf them out .

Do not give up the Democracy of your Country for the Eu .

They are hiding from democracy so they go to court to stop boris from closing down parliament for 5 weeks? that makes sense.

• Advertisement

They are hiding from democracy so they go to court to stop boris from closing down parliament for 5 weeks? that makes sense.
    You get to implement your policies by winning Elections and forming a government .

Who ever heard of an opposition running and hiding from a General Election if they thought they could win it :eek::eek:

Peregrinus has already answered this much better than i can. You're talking nonsense.
    Peregrinus wrote:
    unless there is a reasonable justification for doing so.

So as I said, prorogation is still possible if the PM is cute enough/clever enough in framing his reasons for it.

Is that an absurdity in a country that believes it's 'parliament is sovereign' or not?

Simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭briany

Live scenes from Westminster:

ScaredFalseFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

briany wrote: »
    Live scenes from Westminster:

ScaredFalseFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

Brilliant :-) no wonder Boris is hiding...

You get to implement your policies by winning Elections and forming a government .

Who ever heard of an opposition running and hiding from a General Election if they thought they could win it :eek::eek:

you keep saying that as if it was true. the reason the opposition do not want an election now has already been explained to you multiple times. It can only be down to willfull ignorance on your part that you keep repeating the same nonsense.

• Advertisement

So as I said, prorogation is still possible if the PM is cute enough/clever enough in framing his reasons for it.

Is that an absurdity in a country that believes it's 'parliament is sovereign' or not?

Simple question.

you are asking questions about a system you clearly do not understand. all this has already been explained to you.

you are asking questions about a system you clearly do not understand. all this has already been explained to you.

Can prorogation still happen = Yes it can.

What have I not understood?

Can prorogation still happen = Yes it can.

and nobody has said otherwise. you seem to read what you want to read.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Brilliant :-) no wonder Boris is hiding...
    Its not Boris that is running and hiding from the Electorate . How many weeks ago did Boris offer them a General Election :eek::eek::eek:

and nobody has said otherwise. you seem to read what you want to read.

as the verdict yesterday shows they cannot shut down parliament for an indefinite period any time they want.

Yes they can, if they come up with reasonable reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Peregrinus wrote:
    unless there is a reasonable justification for doing so.

Simple question.
    Going on his performance to date,do you really think Johnson is cute/clever enough to get his way?He's showing himself up as a total fraud and his days are numbered imo.

Yes they can, if they come up with reasonable reasons.
    for an indefinite period any time they want.

please explain to me how, with reference to the judgement yesterday, they can shut down parliament for an indefinite period any time they want.

Had the opposition taken up the offer of a General Election and won it then they could implement their policies .

Why are the Opposition so afraid to face the Electorate ?

One can only conclude that they fear the Electorate .

please explain to me how, with reference to the judgement yesterday, they can shut down parliament for an indefinite period any time they want.

By coming up with a reason the Supreme Court cannot find is 'unreasonable'.

Is that possible?...who knows, anything seems possible in the current chaos.

But who would allow the possibility to remain in a place that calls itself a democracy.

Had the opposition taken up the offer of a General Election and won it then they could implement their policies .

Why are the Opposition so afraid to face the Electorate ?

One can only conclude that they fear the Electorate .

and if they had done that before they passed the bill forcing boris to seek an extension then britain would have crashed out on Oct 31st. What part of that do you refuse to understand?

• Advertisement

By coming up with a reason the Supreme Court cannot find is 'unreasonable'.

Is that possible?...who knows, anything seems possible in the current chaos.

But who would allow the possibility to remain in a place that calls itself a democracy.

i'll say it again because you seem to keep missing it.
    for an indefinite period any time they want

please be specific when referring to the judgement.

and if they had done that before they passed the bill forcing boris to seek an extension then britain would have crashed out on Oct 31st. What part of that do you refuse to understand?
    The Election could have been held before the 31st of October and who ever won would then implement their policies .

The Opposition did not face the Electorate because they fear the Electorate . If they thought they would win then they would have been well up for the election at that time .

Oppositions that think they can win General Elections do not refuse the chance to have General Elections .

The Election could have been held before the 31st of October and who ever won would then implement their policies .

The Opposition did not face the Electorate because they fear the Electorate . If they thought they would win then they would have been well up for the election at that time .

Oppositions that think they can win General Elections do not refuse the chance to have General Elections .

the election would not have been held in time. the worked it so that there is no possibility of britain crashing out of the EU on Oct 31st. this is a good thing. There is plenty of time for an election now.

i'll say it again because you seem to keep missing it.

please be specific when referring to the judgement.
    For present purposes, the relevant limit on the power to prorogue is this: that a decision to prorogue (or advise the monarch to prorogue) will be unlawful if the prorogation has the effect of frustrating or preventing, without reasonable justification, the ability of Parliament to carry out its constitutional functions as a legislature and as the body responsible for the supervision of the executive.

If there is 'reasonable justification' therefore the Monarch and the PM can prorogue.

Therefore there is nothing stopping another PM or this one and the monarch proroguing parliament again and having their 'reasons' tested. The Supreme Court did not remove the power or the perogative.

the election would not have been held in time. the worked it so that there is no possibility of britain crashing out of the EU on Oct 31st. this is a good thing. There is plenty of time for an election now.
    Boris offered the General Election weeks ago . There was time and perhaps even time now . I am sure the Eu would give another extra two weeks to have a General Election to help Democracy ;);)

The reason the opposition did not accept the General Election offer is because they did not think they would win it . They ran and hid from Democracy .

Boris offered the General Election weeks ago . There was time and perhaps even time now . I am sure the Eu would give another extra two weeks to have a General Election to help Democracy ;);)

The reason the opposition did not accept the General Election offer is because they did not think they would win it . They ran and hid from Democracy .

well bollocks is all that post deserves as a response.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I hear today they seem to think Parliament will work on forcing him to ask for an extension.

I might have to go live on a desert island somewhere if that happens.Can't listen to it anymore.

If there is 'reasonable justification' therefore the Monarch and the PM can prorogue.

Therefore there is nothing stopping another PM or this one and the monarch proroguing parliament again and having their 'reasons' tested. The Supreme Court did not remove the power or the perogative.

for an indefinite period of time?

shesty wrote: »
    I hear today they seem to think Parliament will work on forcing him to ask for an extension.

I might have to go live on a desert island somewhere if that happens.Can't listen to it anymore.

he is already obliged by law to ask for an extension.

• Advertisement

for an indefinite period of time?

I don't think it could ever be done for indefinite periods. Repeated prorogations are technically feasible if there is 'reasonable justification' I persume.

The 'indefinite' nature is not what I am getting at though. It is the absurdity of the prerogative in the first place and how it conflicts with the notion of 'parliamentary sovereignty'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement