Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,985 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Danzy wrote: »
    Apart from the day you were there is say none.

Seriously though, what are you on about?

I'm a bit shocked that there was fascist scumbags accosting people there. That was my point. Thought it was obvious.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Has to be one of the oddest 'democracy's' on the planet. How could you begin to pretend that 'parliament is sovereign' if 'experts are divided' on whether or not a monarch has the power to hire and fire?
    Surely you need to categorically know these things...then call yourself a democracy.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1178394011654148101?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1178394011654148101&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058016732%26page%3D47

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/queen-sought-advice-sacking-prime-minister-638320

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Has to be one of the oddest 'democracy's' on the planet. How could you begin to pretend that 'parliament is sovereign' if 'experts are divided' on whether or not a monarch has the power to hire and fire?
    Surely you need to categorically know these things...then call yourself a democracy.

Given your consistent support for illegal terrorists hell-bent on undermining the democratic organs of the State, I can't be the only one who finds your constant carping on the shortcomings of British democratic institutions, nauseating.

Given your consistent support for illegal terrorists hell-bent on undermining the democratic organs of the State, I can't be the only one who finds your constant carping on the shortcomings of British democratic institutions, nauseating.

I never 'supported' terrorists ever FH. What happened here was 'all wrong'.

I Just didn't give a free pass to our neighbouring pretend democracy when it came to apportioning blame for what happened on our island. That seems to endlessly offend some of my fellow islanders, who would rather attack me than face up to the facts about our neighbour's government and monarchical society.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1178394011654148101?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1178394011654148101&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058016732%26page%3D47

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/queen-sought-advice-sacking-prime-minister-638320

there is nothing "Odd" about that at all, it is part of her constitutional role and seeking clarification of it sounds like a fairly sensible thing to do.

From your article:
    A source claims that the monarch asked her aides for the first time for clarification on just when and how she could dismiss a prime minister who refuses to step aside.

• Advertisement

I've been to Seaford. Lovely spot. Didn't think it had too many fascists.

it was the fact there was someone young in Seaford that shocked me. I always thought it was god's waiting room.

Aegir wrote: »
    there is nothing "Odd" about that at all, it is part of her constitutional role and seeking clarification of it sounds like a fairly sensible thing to do.

From your article:

In a democracy where parliament is 'supposed' to be sovereign the monarch asks can she sack the PM.

Yeh...makes sense alright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In a democracy where parliament is 'supposed' to be sovereign the monarch asks can she sack the PM.

she asks her advisers for advice. what a shock. do you expect her to make such a decision without asking for advice? Is she expected to be an expert on constitutional law?

she asks her advisers for advice. what a shock. do you expect her to make such a decision without asking for advice? Is she expected to be an expert on constitutional law?

What the hell is a monarch doing having a decision like that to make in a supposed 'democracy' in the first place, is the point?

What the hell is going on when 'advice' on a power like that has to be asked for?

In fairness to the woman personally, she has had the sense not to use such powers.

What the hell is a monarch doing having a decision like that to make in a supposed 'democracy' in the first place, is the point?

What the hell is going on when 'advice' on a power like that has to be asked for?

In fairness to the woman personally, she has had the sense not to use such powers.

If you areasking what the hell is going on in the UK then you are not paying attention.They have a PM that says he will ignore a law becaue he doesnt like it. that is what is going on. If he does ignore it then he should be sacked as he is not fit for the job.

• Advertisement

If you areasking what the hell is going on in the UK then you are not paying attention.They have a PM that says he will ignore a law becaue he doesnt like it. that is what is going on. If he does ignore it then he should be sacked as he is not fit for the job.

If you or I 'ignore' or 'break' the 'law', we get arrested and brought to a court to stand trial.

If you or I 'ignore' or 'break' the 'law', we get arrested and brought to a court to stand trial.

The law in question has no penalties specified.

The law in question has no penalties specified.

Not much of a 'law' then.

Did somebody mention 'odd'. :D

Edit: It is really an appalling place to allow your 'democracy' to be. If the monarch doesn't remove him = chaos, and if she does remove him = absolute chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I never 'supported' terrorists ever FH. What happened here was 'all wrong'.

Oh, look. Its Monday morning and Francie is again lying. Odd that. :D

Francie again dragging the thread off-topic because of his supremacist views.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

markodaly wrote: »
    Francie again dragging the thread off-topic because of his supremacist views.

If your post isnt off topic then I dont know what is.

maccored wrote: »
    If your post isnt off topic then I dont know what is.

I am not the one constantly going on about the British constitution and getting a hard-on about the Monarchy conspiring with the PM.
    If people want to discuss the intricacies of the British constitution, then fine. Create a new thread about it.

This is about Brexit.

the queen isn't asking whether or not she should sack parliament, she is asking on what basis should, or could she, sack the leader of her government.

If parliament passes a no confidence motion and the PM refuses to step aside, then she could sack him, in order to uphold the will of parliament.

the queen isn't asking whether or not she should sack parliament, she is asking on what basis should, or could she, sack the leader of her government.

If parliament passes a no confidence motion and the PM refuses to step aside, then she could sack him, in order to uphold the will of parliament.

And if she decides not to = chaos.

It's a tier of government that has the potential to subvert the 'will of parliament'. And is therefore the antithesis of a democracy where 'parliament is sovereign'.

All going well 'parliament is sovereign' is what you are pointing to.

It's a tier of government that has the potential to subvert the 'will of parliament'. And is therefore the antithesis of a democracy where 'parliament is sovereign'

and apparently, a position that is held by shape shifting lizards from the Illuminati :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

and apparently, a position that is held by shape shifting lizards from the Illuminati :rolleyes:

What? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brexit could well be the least of Johnson's problems - gropegate won't hurt with the raw meat crowd but if it's shown there was corruption vis-a-vis Jennifer Arcuri that could stick in the craw of the home owning classes of middle England

And now Dominic Cummings wife has issued a statement saying she was not groped along with Charlotte Edwardes in 1999! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What a nest of vipers. They make our bunch of gobshites look positively avuncular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

And now Dominic Cummings wife has issued a statement saying she was not groped along with Charlotte Edwardes in 1999! :eek:

Was it alleged that it was her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Charlotte Edwardes said she was to one side of Johnson and she spoke with the woman on the other side who said she was groped likewise and it's been presumed that it was Cummings who was in that seat.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1178632915510538240

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

there was always going to have to be some sort of border, its about time we acknowledged that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

there was always going to have to be some sort of border, its about time we acknowledged that

Of course. The only question is where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

First Up wrote: »
    Of course. The only question is where.

well, a full EU external border in the Irish Sea is obviously a non-runner,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement