Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Please report back on Halloween. I’ve a feeling you’ll skip Friday. Owing to events political

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Guys, you are nuts, all green jersey and emotions and no rational. You need to understand how the world works.

You inner hatred for the UK, your dreams that Ireland has any upper hand, it's that thinking that has Leo making a stand that the history books with talk about for years. ..and not in a good way.

Please report back on Halloween. I’ve a feeling you’ll skip Friday. Owing to events political

I'm away that weekend, gonna be busy enjoying myself. I'll drift in on November the 5th as guy fawkes is looking at his failed plot.

Chuckle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I'm away that weekend, gonna be busy enjoying myself. I'll drift in on November the 5th as guy fawkes is looking at his failed plot.

Course you are, mate, course you are. We understand.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »

You are nuts, it's a thursday isn't it. I'm away for the weekend.

I have a life, unlike you. 5th of november. I will not be sitting on boards on a friday night. Plus it will be fine you bit soy baby. Don't be so spineless.

Just be around here when your world collapses. Promise us all that, chuck, won't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Lads just leave it. When Boris "better dead than delay" asks for yet ANOTHER extension to this farce, we can all PM crypto who'll probably spin it as some master plan from BJ.

When Britain capitulates it'll be a massive success, or when Britain crashes out and goes into a depression, at least they'll be out under the yoke of the European paymasters.

There's no scenario where it won't be spun as some massive success.

Time will tell. Lots of time apparently, as they were meant to leave 6 months ago, but it'll be at least another 8 months of sh*te..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

You are nuts, it's a thursday isn't it. I'm away for the weekend.

Posted in the early hours of wednesday morning.

I think crypto has completed his descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

davedanon wrote: »
    He's away, but the question is, will he be allowed back in after the crash out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Convenient.

If only we lived in a world where we had s world wide web.

I reckon the last few pages make Brexit worth it. crypto, never change. And please come back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I reckon the last few pages make Brexit worth it. crypto, never change. And please come back.

He needs to up the dosage on his medication first.

Convenient.

If only we lived in a world where we had s world wide web.

And a world where you are not on a weekend break and likely out touring and having pints.

You must have a very pathetic existence

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1188331/Brexit-news-UK-EU-Northern-Ireland-backstop-Boris-Johnson-latest-update

Ignore the that its the express...if the EU does this then it's a outright capitulation.

Remember, "a backstop with a time limit or an exit clause is not a backstop"

It's worth putting it here as if it happens it's pure lols for the UK and a political KO

Would remind me of that famous Ali Liston picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,418 ✭✭✭✭road_high

He needs to up the dosage on his medication first.

Maybe that's why he takes those lengthy breaks i.e. in therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,418 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And a world where you are not on a weekend break and likely out touring and having pints.

You must have a very pathetic existence

No most people have smartphones with the www at their fingerpoints :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1188331/Brexit-news-UK-EU-Northern-Ireland-backstop-Boris-Johnson-latest-update

Ignore the that its the express...if the EU does this then it's a outright capitulation.

"If you guys can ignore that this newspaper is wholly unreliable...then this headlines is Bad News(tm) for Ireland. Vindication!"

Except it is the Express and they've been touting the "EU will shaft Ireland" bit since Brexit started and have never once been right.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Remember, "a backstop with a time limit or an exit clause is not a backstop"

It's worth putting it here as if it happens it's pure lols for the UK and a political KO

Would remind me of that famous Ali Liston picture.
    It's essentially the obverse of Johnson's offer: the default would be that NI would stay in the Single Market (and the Customs Union, which Johnson isn't offering) but after a time limit could opt to come out, provided a majority in both communities wanted to come out.

It is a major concession, but I wouldn't describe it as a capitulation. One of the standard objections to Brexiter proposals for alternatives to the backstop is that they don't enjoy local support or acceptance in NI, and that no solution which doesn't enjoy local support and acceptance is going to work. But the flipside of that is that if the backstop ceases to enjoy local support and acceptance, it won't work either. If it reaches a point where both communities oppose the backstop and would prefer a hard border, the backstop is basically unsustainable. So conceding that it could end in this circumstance is just accepting the logic of their own position, and the reality of the situation.

Realistically, the only circumstance in which both communities would agree to end the backstop is a scenario in which it was to be succeeded by some other arrangement for keeping the border open that both communities prefer to the backstop. And the EU has always accepted that the backstop could be superseded in that situation; in fact, it's intended to be superseded in that situation.

One way this could be be packaged is that this is a response to the UK's demand for concrete standards for the arrangements that can supersede the backstop; the standard is "arrangements that are acceptable to both communities in NI".

Dytalus wrote: »
    "If you guys can ignore that this newspaper is wholly unreliable...then this headlines is Bad News(tm) for Ireland. Vindication!"

Except it is the Express and they've been touting the "EU will shaft Ireland" bit since Brexit started and have never once been right.

The times have another version of it. It’s not at all what express suggests

https://twitter.com/brunobrussels/status/1181846193527296001?s=21

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's essentially the obverse of Johnson's offer: the default would be that NI would stay in the Single Market (and the Customs Union, which Johnson isn't offering) but after a time limit could opt to come out, provided a majority in both communities wanted to come out.

It is a major concession, but I wouldn't describe it as a capitulation. One of the standard objections to Brexiter proposals for alternatives to the backstop is that they don't enjoy local support or acceptance in NI, and that no solution which doesn't enjoy local support and acceptance is going to work. But the flipside of that is that if the backstop ceases to enjoy local support and acceptance, it won't work either. If it reaches a point where both communities oppose the backstop and would prefer a hard border, the backstop is basically unsustainable. So conceding that it could end in this circumstance is just accepting the logic of their own position, and the reality of the situation.

Realistically, the only circumstance in which both communities would agree to end the backstop is a scenario in which it was to be succeeded by some other arrangement for keeping the border open that both communities prefer to the backstop. And the EU has always accepted that the backstop could be superseded in that situation; in fact, it's intended to be superseded in that situation.

One way this could be be packaged is that this is a response to the UK's demand for concrete standards for the arrangements that can supersede the backstop; the standard is "arrangements that are acceptable to both communities in NI".

You getting excuses in early. It's a capitulation.

If the UK is opening new markets and economy is doing well..(not hard compared to the EU), and NI still depends on the UK then it may be given an ultimatum in a number of years as the potential to diverge appears. Nationalists won't be long picking their pockets over romantic notions of the unknown.

This is far easier for the UK to control then the EU.

It's a capitulation. End of.

The times have another version of it. It’s not at all what express suggests

https://twitter.com/brunobrussels/status/1181846193527296001?s=21

Yeah, I just saw the Time article. Not surprised the Express dressed it up more antagonistically.

Dytalus wrote: »
    Yeah, I just saw the Time article. Not surprised the Express dressed it up more antagonistically.

It's either a backstop or it's not, express or the times.

An exit clause is not a backstop remember. It is a capitulation though..

You'd wonder with what Boris has achieved in such a short time that they should just push on...drive them back further, they are clearly retreating.

They don't like it up 'em. Drive on is an option.

Could make Berlin by Christmas.

It's either a backstop or it's not, express or the times.

An exit clause is not a backstop remember. It is a capitulation though..

It's not, because it hands equivalent democratic power to a community that will never accept a hard border again. So it's largely cosmetic - it still fulfills the "backstop until we have something better" part of the WA.

But I remain unconvinced that it's even on the table. I'm only seeing it sourced in UK papers. Until I hear something from the EU or Ireland, I'm going to assume their sources are lying again.

And shock horror...the DUP refuse to let the Nationalist community have any say in the matter. So it's dead in the water even if it is proposed.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1181859500313206784?s=19

You getting excuses in early. It's a capitulation.

If the UK is opening new markets and economy is doing well..(not hard compared to the EU), and NI still depends on the UK then it may be given an ultimatum in a number of years as the potential to diverge appears. Nationalists won't be long picking their pockets over romantic notions of the unknown.

This is far easier for the UK to control then the EU.

It's a capitulation. End of.

Leaving aside your childish playground behaviour every time you think your side is 'going to win', this is a speculative article in two pro-brexit, anti-Europe Tory papers, with unnamed sources in Europe. Peregrinus's analysis is as usual more reasoned, and rational than your infantile trumpeting.

The fact is, even if this is true, it goes nowhere without Irish approval, so it's probably dead in the water.

You'd wonder with what Boris has achieved in such a short time that they should just push on...drive them back further, they are clearly retreating.

They don't like it up 'em. Drive on is an option.

Could make Berlin by Christmas.

Like I said, infantile. And borderline offensive, if you're German.

https://twitter.com/Omnishambles85/status/11818011
    37109897216?s=20

Sinn Fein also saying no. So it won’t happen.
    Very clever move by Europe. Boris and Arlene can no longer say ‘undemocratic backstop’. They’ve just been offered a regular vote on it and turned it down

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1181861204450578432?s=21

It also goes to reinforce the notion that no matter what is offered, one of the DUP/Boris/ERG/Tory gammon loon wing will reject it.

The baddest of bad faith.

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein also saying no. So it won’t happen.
    Very clever move by Europe. Boris and Arlene can no longer say ‘undemocratic backstop’. They’ve just been offered a regular vote on it and turned it down

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1181861204450578432?s=21
    Both parties in the north turned it down.

I don't have a issue with the people of the north deciding this every 5 years. It means as the EU federalised the people of the north have a get out option. That's more then the people of the EU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement