Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Just to add. This is a rumour and not official Eu position or offer.
    (Crypto already saying it’s a defeat aside)
    It’s literally a report from one ‘source’ who now has been schooled on by a guardian reporter

https://twitter.com/jennifermerode/status/1181866088730157056?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Just to add. This is a rumour and not official Eu position or offer.
    (Crypto already saying it’s a defeat aside)
    It’s literally a report from one ‘source’ who now has been schooled on by a guardian reporter

https://twitter.com/jennifermerode/status/1181866088730157056?s=21

The guardian, the express for vegans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Haha, sure sunshine.

You fail to grasp the basics and the national security issues that means the backstop will never happen. Also, the EU is too pi$$ weak to start picking fights with the UK and stopping food and medicine at calais. That would be a global PR disaster that will end them.

Keep laughing, but the actions of the British government is going to do great harm to the British people if they keep going.

Its not the EU that has been in a political crisis for the last two years. Its not the leadership of the EU that have lost their ability to govern and their legitimacy as a government becasue of their actions which forced their own colleagues to turn against them. Its not the EU that tried to suspend democratic accountability so that the executive could go ahead with its plans unchallenged.

The EU won't stop food and medicine at Calais, it will be the delays at ports due to the necessary customs and regulatory checks that slow down supply. Its not like the British government were not aware that this would be the consequences of their actions.

You keep projecting onto the EU, but in reality the UK is weak. The UK will be forced to compromise. The UK is courting a PR disaster because of its actions, indeed the UK has already become a laughing stock because of the incompetance of the British government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The guardian, the express for vegans

At least she's an accredited journalist with a respected broadsheet with an international reputation, unlike Bruno wossname, whom I've never heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

And once again, you post like an 11 year-old.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »

You can post like a 50-year-old, but if you are wrong then you are wrong.

What's the point of detailing long-winded posts when you don't get the basics and think the UK is leaving the EU and will be in some weak position. You don't even get when the UK has to leave the EU from a security position in the first place, when you fail to grasp that then what's the point.

For me its obvious and also for any person with even the basics on global security and military affairs. You can't debate with people who don't grasp that or see those positions as wrong.

davedanon wrote: »

You can post like a 50-year-old, but if you are wrong then you are wrong.

What's the point of detailing long-winded posts when you don't get the basics and think the UK is leaving the EU and will be in some weak position. You don't even get when the UK has to leave the EU from a security position in the first place, when you fail to grasp that then what's the point.

For me its obvious and also for any person with even the basics on global security and military affairs. You can't debate with people who don't grasp that or see those positions as wrong.

Soy boys and vegans, the call sign of a dying troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

From a global security and military standpoint, why does the UK have to leave the EU? The EU has no control over member states' militaries. I thought it was about trade and border control, I missed the parts relating to military affairs. What's your understanding of them?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1188331/Brexit-news-UK-EU-Northern-Ireland-backstop-Boris-Johnson-latest-update

Ignore the that its the express...if the EU does this then it's a outright capitulation.

Remember, "a backstop with a time limit or an exit clause is not a backstop"

It's worth putting it here as if it happens it's pure lols for the UK and a political KO

Would remind me of that famous Ali Liston picture.

If you want to see a Nationalist veto on NI leaving the backstop as an outright capitulation by the EU, go right ahead and fill your boots.

Would it not rankle with you just a little bit that all the problems with the backstop you wailed about, the security of the UK, its constitutional integrity blah blah blah, would then be in the hands of Sinn Féin?

• Advertisement

Dytalus wrote: »
    "If you guys can ignore that this newspaper is wholly unreliable...then this headlines is Bad News(tm) for Ireland. Vindication!"

Except it is the Express and they've been touting the "EU will shaft Ireland" bit since Brexit started and have never once been right.

The truth of the idea is questionable, but if it was true then it would not be a bad compromise if you ask me. This would turn the tables on the DUP and give nationalists a veto on NI leaving the backstop.

You'd wonder with what Boris has achieved in such a short time that they should just push on...drive them back further, they are clearly retreating.

They don't like it up 'em. Drive on is an option.

Could make Berlin by Christmas.

I really think you need to get help, you are just babbeling incoherently now.

Both parties in the north turned it down.

I don't have a issue with the people of the north deciding this every 5 years. It means as the EU federalised the people of the north have a get out option. That's more then the people of the EU.

What is A50 if not a get out clause? How did the UK leave if the people of the EU do not have that option? Just more incoherent nonsence Crypto, you really don't have any credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

And a world where you are not on a weekend break and likely out touring and having pints.

You must have a very pathetic existence

Hardly pathetic, I too will be off for the weekend, but I'll have a 4G enabled smartphone in my pocket, primarily it will be to capture a few shots of us having the craic in a medieval city in Central Europe, but will also be handy for keeping up with any brexit developments if they happen.

Brexit (should it happen at all) will have far and long reaching consequences for a lot of People, and is fairly important to a lot of people, and considering your posts in this thread, and others on the matter, I'm surprised you'll forget all about it because you're off on a weekend.

Hardly pathetic, I too will be off for the weekend, but I'll have a 4G enabled smartphone in my pocket, primarily it will be to capture a few shots of us having the craic in a medieval city in Central Europe, but will also be handy for keeping up with any brexit developments if they happen.

Brexit (should it happen at all) will have far and long reaching consequences for a lot of People, and is fairly important to a lot of people, and considering your posts in this thread, and others on the matter, I'm surprised you'll forget all about it because you're off on a weekend.

What developments are you expecting? Millennium bug 2.0

Can we unban blinding? I want his thoughts on how democratic the double majority notion in NI sounds compared to just the DUP having the power :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

If ever we needed further proof that you have no idea what you're talking about.

The Millennium Bug fell victim to that same problem all IT solutions face. When there's a problem: "What are we paying you for if you can't stop this from happening?" When there's no problem: "What are we paying you for if nothing ever happens?"

The Y2K bug was a non-event precisely because steps were taken to limit the damage it could do. People all around the world worked to correct the problem before it would become a problem. Billions of dollars were spent worldwide.
    The total cost of the work done in preparation for Y2K is estimated at over US$300 billion ($436 billion as of January 2018, once inflation is taken into account).IDC calculated that the US spent an estimated $134 billion ($195 billion) preparing for Y2K, and another $13 billion ($19 billion) fixing problems in 2000 and 2001. Worldwide, $308 billion ($448 billion) was estimated to have been spent on Y2K remediation.
    URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2000_problem#Cost"]Source[/URL

From the UK's own actual report, Northern Ireland at the very least is woefully under prepared for a hard Brexit on October 31st. The work (unlike Y2K) has not been done. There will be developments when the red-tape comes down.

Official British government customs forms for people exporting and importing.
    Millennium bug me hole

https://twitter.com/ballantine70/status/1181864495569920000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is a bit long and nuanced for many on this thread but I'll post it here for those who would like to read about the separation of the Conservative Party from big business.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/09/brexit-crisis-global-capitalism-britain-place-world
    Since the 1970s things have changed radically. Today there is no such thing as British national capitalism. London is a place where world capitalism does business – no longer one where British capitalism does the world’s business. Everywhere in the UK there are foreign-owned enterprises, many of them nationalised industries, building nuclear reactors and running train services from overseas. When the car industry speaks, it is not as British industry but as foreign enterprise in the UK. The same is true of many of the major manufacturing sectors – from civil aircraft to electrical engineering – and of infrastructure. Whatever the interests of foreign capital, they are not expressed through a national political party. Most of these foreign-owned businesses, not surprisingly, are hostile to Brexit.

Brexit is the political project of the hard right within the Conservative party, and not its capitalist backers. In fact, these forces were able to take over the party in part because it was no longer stabilised by a powerful organic connection to capital, either nationally or locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Soy boys and vegans, the call sign of a dying troll.

YouTube's algorithm has a lot to answer for - lots of dimwits absorbing utter bullshit from the likes of P@ul J0seph Wats0n and C@rl Benj@min and believing they're more enlightened than the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

YouTube's algorithm has a lot to answer for - lots of dimwits absorbing utter bullshit from the likes of P@ul J0seph Wats0n and C@rl Benj@min and believing they're more enlightened than the rest of us.

Rte and Oireachtas TV should be the only media permitted in Ireland. Stop people having their minds warped by lies.
    . Ireland needs the EU or it crumbles

• Registered Users Posts: 23,771 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EGYVfrdW4AA-SQY?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Blueshoe wrote: »

Rte and Oireachtas TV should be the only media permitted in Ireland. Stop people having their minds warped by lies.
    Oh dear, has someone widdled on your chicken nuggets?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Blueshoe wrote: »

Not too sure what you mean there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not too sure what you mean there.

It's a strawman.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Some serious hard language in the European Parliament today. All punches landed on Johnson and his nonsense and especially attempts at blame game.

I do wonder why Leo is meeting him tomorrow in England. Last time an Irishman wen to england to secure a deal he was reviled upon return and shot by his own.

Don’t back down now Leo. Give him the border in the sea and tell him final offer. It’s the only way forward out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Some serious hard language in the European Parliament today. All punches landed on Johnson and his nonsense and especially attempts at blame game.

I do wonder why Leo is meeting him tomorrow in England. Last time an Irishman wen to england to secure a deal he was reviled upon return and shot by his own.

Don’t back down now Leo. Give him the border in the sea and tell him final offer. It’s the only way forward out of this.

F*ck it, tell BJ the backstop is only temporary. 5 years and we'll revisit it.

After 5 years of plain sailing, no one is going to want to revisit it and be back where we are now.

It's a strawman.

Would have classified it as
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-jtYXvI7M

Padre_Pio wrote: »

After 5 years of plain sailing, no one is going to want to revisit it and be back where we are now.

That’s actually a good idea. UK and parliament would have forgotten and back to default don’t care about NI setting by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Padre_Pio wrote: »

That’s actually a good idea. UK and parliament would have forgotten and back to default don’t care about NI setting by then

But we will always have Arlene....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement