Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

How, if the UK diverge then the can leave NI behind in the EU. That isn't good for NI
    It's much better for them than being taken out of the SM and the CU along with GB.

Basically, the Brexit options for NI are (a) harm or (b) worse harm. The only outstanding question is whether NI will be allowed to exercise the option having regard to its own wishes and interests, or whether GB will exercise the option, paying exactly as much regard to the wishes and interests of NI as they have paid throughout this process so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How, if the UK diverge then the can leave NI behind in the EU. That isn't good for NI

Because of the stupidity of partition Crypto.

Not a brain in the entire UK or EU could figure out an acceptable way for the UK to diverge taking NI with it.

The reason why has been written on the wall for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Stop quoting JOB. The show is a set up.

JOB never goes on other shows as he gets destroyed.

You know crypto, your right. While I find the idiots really funny, it isn't fair to laugh at the afflicted. God love them, they have enough issues.

On another note,The backstop was never going to be any other way.
    UK has three options, Revoke, Deal or Hard Exit.

Hard exit will involve trade deals with the US (who recently gave diplomatic immunity to one of their citizens who accidentally killed a boy) she gets to go home as he's a nobody (peasent) and she's more important..
    The US who recently taxed scotch whiskey at 25% while ENTICING UK to do a deal... (Irish whiskey is not taxed by the way)

The US who have said they will block trade deals if there's a hard exit.
    Bonnie Greer spelled it out ...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_byygue6gs

Or there trade deals with OZ, but Julia Gillard explains UK is down the list way after the EU.. (2:58)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_0q2HyuCA

Phil hogan is EU trading negotiator..

I see the mail is screaming about another delay to leaving .... wonder what Murdoch is hiding so desperately in the Cayman Islands? Only reason for thIs deadline I can see is that Tax and Transparency law coming Jan 2020....

It costs 8bn a year to stay in EU and avail of the great trade deals there.
    if they exit it costs 15bn a year in paperwork alone before a single deal is negotiated.

If UK stay in they benefit from all the tax that will be gathered from the city and Cayman accounts.

Honestly, it really looks like the best deal is remain. But the UK seems determined to leave at any cost.Why?

James O'Brien says it best: 'Name one benefit of leaving' ... yet to hear ONE benefit to the UK. Just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It's very good for Northern Ireland. Too good. It imperils Irish unification.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's very good for Northern Ireland. Too good. It imperils Irish unification.

It looks like making it a certainty.

Britain is basically telling the North to f off and hang out with others.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    It looks like making it a certainty.

Britain is basically telling the North to f off and hang out with others.

The North gets its cake and eats it.

All the funding and goodies it enjoys from the UK, but the benefits of essentially free trade with the EU.

I can't see anyone in the North wanting to change that.

cryptocurrency: James O'Brien is obviously a set up. No caller can be that stupid.

Also cryptocurrency: Run an aircraft carrier around Gibralter and create a military stand-off with Brussels in order to get a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

The majority in NI voted to remain, I'm sure they dont need you to tell then ""what's good for NI "

So Brexit is good for the UK?

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    You know crypto, your right. While I find the idiots really funny, it isn't fair to laugh at the afflicted. God love them, they have enough issues.

On another note,The backstop was never going to be any other way.
    UK has three options, Revoke, Deal or Hard Exit.

Hard exit will involve trade deals with the US (who recently gave diplomatic immunity to one of their citizens who accidentally killed a boy) she gets to go home as he's a nobody (peasent) and she's more important..
    The US who recently taxed scotch whiskey at 25% while ENTICING UK to do a deal... (Irish whiskey is not taxed by the way)

The US who have said they will block trade deals if there's a hard exit.
    Bonnie Greer spelled it out ...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_byygue6gs

Or there trade deals with OZ, but Julia Gillard explains UK is down the list way after the EU.. (2:58)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_0q2HyuCA

Phil hogan is EU trading negotiator..

I see the mail is screaming about another delay to leaving .... wonder what Murdoch is hiding so desperately in the Cayman Islands? Only reason for thIs deadline I can see is that Tax and Transparency law coming Jan 2020....

It costs 8bn a year to stay in EU and avail of the great trade deals there.
    if they exit it costs 15bn a year in paperwork alone before a single deal is negotiated.

If UK stay in they benefit from all the tax that will be gathered from the city and Cayman accounts.

Honestly, it really looks like the best deal is remain. But the UK seems determined to leave at any cost.Why?

James O'Brien says it best: 'Name one benefit of leaving' ... yet to hear ONE benefit to the UK. Just one.

Forgot to add, Tories are terrified of a referendum on leave with a deal or stay as UK people are better educated now on the 'titanic' that is Brexit, and the result would be to stay.

Either way it's chaos in the UK for the foreseeable future and I imagine Irelands population will expand exponentially as people abandon ship from UK and move to Ireland.

Does anyone know what the rules for immigrants from UK to Ireland will be? Will the CTA complicate that?
    Isn't there also an Irish heritage right? If you have it you can move here? Or am I misinformed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Forgot to add, Tories are terrified of a referendum on leave with a deal or stay as UK people are better educated now on the 'titanic' that is Brexit, and the result would be to stay.

By no means certain. I mean just today - https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1184371805756231680
    Either way it's chaos in the UK for the foreseeable future and I imagine Irelands population will expand exponentially as people abandon ship from UK and move to Ireland.

We'll see. I haven't seen any Irish/EU people budge yet, so not sure what would push the locals.
    Does anyone know what the rules for immigrants from UK to Ireland will be? Will the CTA complicate that?

UK and Irish people can freely live and work in each others countries without restriction. I sincerely doubt that 60 million Brits will show up in Dublin tomorrow. But they could :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

So Brexit is good for the UK?

Is that your best impression of Cathy Newman, or a simple non sequitur?

By no means certain. I mean just today - https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1184371805756231680

We'll see. I haven't seen any Irish/EU people budge yet, so not sure what would push the locals.

UK and Irish people can freely live and work in each others countries without restriction. I sincerely doubt that 60 million Brits will show up in Dublin tomorrow. But they could :pac:

So the poll says the overwhelming majority are Remain, followed by the next largest which is leave with a deal. followed by the minority which is no deal?

Your making the assumption that people who want to leave with a deal would be ok with no deal. They specifallly didn't choose that option.

So after Brexit, if a UK citizen wants to live in the EU they just have to immigrate to Ireland?

So the poll says the overwhelming majority are Remain, followed by the next largest which is leave with a deal. followed by the minority which is no deal?

In a certain reading, sure.
    Your making the assumption that people who want to leave with a deal would be ok with no deal. They specifallly didn't choose that option.

I'm not assuming anything.

This isn't the only poll to show close running between the options, just the latest I saw (and largest I think). Point is, anyone who thinks everyone has changed their mind is wrong. A second ref is no done deal. A GE on Brexit would probably be fairer in my book, and I think we all know that wouldn't be a straight forward matter either.
    So after Brexit, if a UK citizen wants to live in the EU they just have to immigrate to Ireland?

Yep. As regards getting an Irish/EU passport, it takes a few years residency on the island. I've looked into it before for my wife and think it was about three years?

Yep. As regards getting an Irish/EU passport, it takes a few years residency on the island. I've looked into it before for my wife and think it was about three years?

and around €1000.

Aegir wrote: »
    and around €1000.

Ouch, well my wife can pay for it herself :D

I know a French woman here in the UK who recently got a British passport, cost over a grand too. They really need to bring that figure down for long termers who want to transfer from settled status imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1184444300706353152

"BREAKING: two senior EU sources say the main stumbling block to a deal has been removed with the DUP accepting the latest proposals on consent... Optimism a deal can now be done..."

Apologies if already posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

davedanon wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1184444300706353152

"BREAKING: two senior EU sources say the main stumbling block to a deal has been removed with the DUP accepting the latest proposals on consent... Optimism a deal can now be done..."

Apologies if already posted.

Arlene's Twitter refuted Tony's statement.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Arlene's Twitter refuted Tony's statement.

In other words, 'shut up Tony until we spin this as a huge victory'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

In other words, 'shut up Tony until we spin this as a huge victory'. :)

Having their cake and eating it is a huge victory-they just can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭trashcan

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Having their cake and eating it is a huge victory-they just can't see it.

They’ve already said the cake is made of dog**** and they won’t have it though. That’s their problem now, how to spin accepting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

If you go outside and look towards the north you can actually see the glow of Sammy's face on the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

trashcan wrote: »
    They’ve already said the cake is made of dog**** and they won’t have it though. That’s their problem now, how to spin accepting it.

I'm English and can't see what the DUP are complaining about.Admittedly the UK has had to compromise but if a deal can be pushed over the line NI remains in the Union and if the DUP consider the future implications the possibility of a UI is arguably further away-why would anyone want to change the situation unless NI actually exploited their unique,advantageous position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I'm English and can't see what the DUP are complaining about.Admittedly the UK has had to compromise but if a deal can be pushed over the line NI remains in the Union and if the DUP consider the future implications the possibility of a UI is arguably further away-why would anyone want to change the situation unless NI actually exploited their unique,advantageous position?

You're looking for logic where there is none.
    They could reap the rewards of being the only U.K. element within the E.U. but they'd rather be joined at the hip to old blighty because...flags.

The Guardian having its fun with Boris today.

w9bsWiZ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Interesting seeing the tragic case of Harry Dunn, the UK thinking the US will look after them with a sweet trade deal when they cannot even sort them out of an issue like this.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Interesting seeing the tragic case of Harry Dunn, the UK thinking the US will look after them with a sweet trade deal when they cannot even sort them out of an issue like this.

Like Brexit, if they think a trade deal is going to be anything other than a one way street then hell rub it up them to be honest.

No country, or even countries would get the US to send someone with diplomatic immunity back to a country to be charged with an offence.

It’s a stupid comparison

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Them putting big tariffs on items like Scotch whiskey and Tweed (but not Irish whiskey) despite Johnson personally asking Trump to row back on it - that's a more valid comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

No country, or even countries would get the US to send someone with diplomatic immunity back to a country to be charged with an offence.

It’s a stupid comparison

The highlighted part is up for legal argument. Her husband was an intelligence officer at a military base outside London, not in any immediate diplomatic role.

Also, as for precedent, in 1997 the US asked Georgia to waive diplomatic immunity for Gueorgui Makharadze who killed a Brazilian girl in Washington DC while drunk driving.. Georgia returned him and he was convicted and served part of his sentence in the US before being sent back to Georgia to serve the remainder.

• Advertisement

It’s a stupid comparison

I think the point was, she didn't HAVE diplomatic immunity, was given it to get her out of the country and avoid the consequences. Incredibly sad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement