Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I think the point was, she didn't HAVE diplomatic immunity, was given it to get her out of the country and avoid the consequences. Incredibly sad.

Sad is not the word I'd use. Apparently it was Trump's bright idea to get the parents in the room with Secoolas, all so he could have a photo-op, and engineer a reality tv show moment. The repulsive egomaniac that he is.

Also, as for precedent, in 1997 the US asked Georgia to waive diplomatic immunity for Gueorgui Makharadze who killed a Brazilian girl in Washington DC while drunk driving.. Georgia returned him and he was convicted and served part of his sentence in the US before being sent back to Georgia to serve the remainder.

what has Georgia returning a diplomat to the US got to do with anything?
    I think the point was, she didn't HAVE diplomatic immunity, was given it to get her out of the country and avoid the consequences. Incredibly sad.

exactly. Now she is back in the US, the US government would not return her to any country in the world. It is daft bringing it up in a thread about Brexit. The US simply do not allow their citizens to be tried abroad if they can in any way avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Aegir wrote: »
    what has Georgia returning a diplomat to the US got to do with anything?

<sigh>

And you wonder where the idiocy that led to Brexit stems from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

No country, or even countries would get the US to send someone with diplomatic immunity back to a country to be charged with an offence.

It’s a stupid comparison

There are reports that her diplomatic immunity has been stripped, which is why i felt it was relevant.

If they cannot get on board with something as simple as one of there citizens breaking the law and killing someone. What makes anyone think they will give a decent break to the UK on a trade deal.
    Tea Shock wrote: »
    Them putting big tariffs on items like Scotch whiskey and Tweed (but not Irish whiskey) despite Johnson personally asking Trump to row back on it - that's a more valid comparison!

See above but this is also further evidence that it will be a deal made to benefit only the US.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Just listened to a few minutes of the coverage on Sky news. 12.5 % tariff on goods between EU and UK.

Finally it's happening. The end is near

• Advertisement

Jeez, if I wanted to quote a 3 month-old post, I think I'd go for one that displayed some semblance of basic human intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Just listened to a few minutes of the coverage on Sky news. 12.5 % tariff on goods between EU and UK.

Holly sh!t they think that's a result? That's a disaster for everything. Wow

mollser wrote: »
    Holly sh!t they think that's a result? That's a disaster for everything. Wow

Who are "they"?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I cant find this anywhere on sky. any links ?

also I have a feeling this is where the NI VAT issue comes in, last thing the EU want is the UK becoming some sort of conduit to supply goods from china and the US at a lower price to consumers.

The EU is playing hardball because it has to. The economic power of the bloc is the only thing keeping it together, and its ultimate raison d'etre. The UK will get screwed because that's how it has to be. And they have never understood this.

• Advertisement

I cant find this anywhere on sky. any links ?

also I have a feeling this is where the NI VAT issue comes in, last thing the EU want is the UK becoming some sort of conduit to supply goods from china and the US at a lower price to consumers.

No they said that the UK leaves as a whole but in reality they remain part of the common market but charge a 12% tariff on goods between EU and UK.
    If the goods leaves Britain to northern Ireland the tariff is charged but refunded. If the goods go from northern Ireland to Europe the tariff is charged.

Doesn't really make sense to me. But I had a joint 20 mins ago

No they said that the UK leaves as a whole but in reality they remain part of the common market but charge a 12% tariff on goods between EU and UK.
    If the goods leaves Britain to northern Ireland the tariff is charged but refunded. If the goods go from northern Ireland to Europe the tariff is charged.

Doesn't really make sense to me. But I had a joint 20 mins ago

I think borris is going to have to either capitulate completely to arlene or find the votes to completely bypass her, she won't accept a situation where belfast is more like dublin than london in any regard, she'll only take the same treatment as england are getting.

Are you calling him 'borris' deliberately?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

davedanon wrote:
    The EU is playing hardball because it has to. The economic power of the bloc is the only thing keeping it together, and its ultimate raison d'etre. The UK will get screwed because that's how it has to be. And they have never understood this.

You could put that another way;

27 of the 28 countries in the EU know they are much, much better off by being part of an economic and trading bloc and anyone who thinks they can undermine that has another thing coming.

The 28th country hasn't caught up yet.

davedanon wrote: »
    Are you calling him 'borris' deliberately?

mis spelling, be grand, no edgelord stuff here.

How does literacy equate to 'edgelord stuff'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Who are "they"?

That would be Britain. I'm shocked if that's what they are signing up to!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

There's a "debate" on CH5 just now. I don't know whether they purposely select these people for the audience but my head hurts. There are some decent articulate level headed points being raised by the remainer/soft brexit side, then they go to the far section of the crowd and it's all "Brexit means brexit", "how many times do I have to vote?" ect without any substance as to what's to be achieved other than "getting out". There are so many of these people over here, I think you guys over there would be very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

theteal wrote: »
    There's a "debate" on CH5 just now. I don't know whether they purposely select these people for the audience but my head hurts. There are some decent articulate level headed points being raised by the remainer/soft brexit side, then they go to the far section of the crowd and it's all "Brexit means brexit", "how many times do I have to vote?" ect without any substance as to what's to be achieved other than "getting out". There are so many of these people over here, I think you guys over there would be very surprised.

I bet we wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭briany

theteal wrote: »

Brexit means Brexit in no way explains what Brexit means. I'd be very unsatisfied if I bought a dictionary, only to find that each word's definition was just the word.

Also, you can't expect a high level of debate on C5. Hard to take their political programming seriously when it's sandwiched between programs the calibre of Bouncy Castle Nightmares and A Friend of a Celebrity Big Brother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I think borris is going to have to either capitulate completely to arlene or find the votes to completely bypass her, she won't accept a situation where belfast is more like dublin than london in any regard, she'll only take the same treatment as england are getting.

I don’t think he cares about a general election. The rest of westminister doesn’t seem to want one though.

<sigh>

And you wonder where the idiocy that led to Brexit stems from.

sweet jesus :rolleyes:
    Calhoun wrote: »
    There are reports that her diplomatic immunity has been stripped, which is why i felt it was relevant.

If they cannot get on board with something as simple as one of there citizens breaking the law and killing someone. What makes anyone think they will give a decent break to the UK on a trade deal.

it hasn't been stripped, it no longer applies, as she is in her own country. The US do not return or even extradite their own citizens, to anyone. Unless of course you are suggesting that the UK invades the US to bring her back?

using this as an example of how the UK will be treated in trade negotiations is stupid. it isn't relevant in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

it hasn't been stripped, it no longer applies, as she is in her own country. The US do not return or even extradite their own citizens, to anyone. Unless of course you are suggesting that the UK invades the US to bring her back?

using this as an example of how the UK will be treated in trade negotiations is stupid. it isn't relevant in the slightest.

In your opinion.
    To me, the fact they can place 25% tariffs on scotch whiskey and lean on the UK to ensure a person who did not have diplomatic immunity to be given it after her killing a teenager says a lot about who has all the power in that special relationship. Good luck with that one UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they do and have

• Registered Users Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

How does literacy equate to 'edgelord stuff'?

I think he means it was an accidental typo, not one of those misspelling a name to get a reaction things people are doing lately, like TRump and trump, you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

As a footnote,during the 1812 war between the UK and US, British forces invaded the US and burned the Whitehouse down.(this was in retaliation for continued US aggression against Canada).

Yawn, all you pro-brexiters are really high strung.

Can you please define the parameters of the discussion you would like us to keep within?

Alternatively if we say something you think is stupid how about you just ignore it rather than coming in throwing shade.

In your opinion.
    To me, the fact they can place 25% tariffs on scotch whiskey and lean on the UK to ensure a person who did not have diplomatic immunity to be given it after her killing a teenager says a lot about who has all the power in that special relationship. Good luck with that one UK!

Indeed even with diplomatic protocol, all the posturing from Trump with meeting the parents ect and then blaming the whole thing on Borris. It tells you all you need to know about it.

The US don't need the UK, they are just a pawn in making the EU block weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

briany wrote: »
    Hard to take their political programming seriously when it's sandwiched between programs the calibre of Bouncy Castle Nightmares

That one is also about Brexit

• Advertisement

It also has to play hard ball and back Ireland because if its perceived that a participating member was screwed over for one leaving things would start to disintegrate quite fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement