Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Well done Boris, knew you were a much better leader than your predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,243 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:):) Bit premature on that one. Can he lead even his own party to ratify this deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Lots of stuff written about this, lots of strong opinions, but I can't find a summary of what the deal actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,984 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I know. Who'd have thought that the party with a history of screwing over Northern Ireland would screw over Northern Ireland.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

So what does this deal mean? Open border I hope?

PostWoke wrote: »
    So what does this deal mean? Open border I hope?

The same as Theresa May's one. A border in the Irish Sea, NI in the CU/SM and the DUP sulking on the sidelines as the world moves on yet again without them.

Give them a few months and they will be playing ball as they did with the Anglo Irish Agreement and the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Mays Deal was better for the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

From the looks of it so far, the deal looks like a good option for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I'm eagerly awaiting crypto, and his cries of EU CAPITULATION!!! His acolytes have already pitched in with their Up is Down, Black is White nonsense. And by CHRIST I'm looking forward to seeing the DUP get focked over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The same as Theresa May's one. A border in the Irish Sea, NI in the CU/SM and the DUP sulking on the sidelines as the world moves on yet again without them.

Give them a few months and they will be playing ball as they did with the Anglo Irish Agreement and the GFA.

I believe in the Union and was sceptical about criticism of them but have come to learn not to take much notice of the DUP,their latest statement that this deal rides a coach and horses through the GFA and they can't support it is jaw dropping..

I dont think it will get past the commons, UK will leave on 31st on wto terms. Surrender/Benn act not worth the paper its printed on. UK will prosper in a couple of years then more will follow. Bye bye EU

*commons may ratify, either way, they are leaving on 31st. Democracy has prevailed. This is what decent leadership is about. Teresa May was too weak

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I dont think it will get past the commons, UK will leave on 31st on wto terms. Surrender/Benn act not worth the paper its printed on. UK will prosper in a couple of years then more will follow. Bye bye EU

If it doesnt get passed the commons then JOhnson will be obliged to seek an extension. to think otherwise is to ignore reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

*commons may ratify, either way, they are leaving on 31st. Democracy has prevailed. This is what decent leadership is about. Teresa May was too weak

How is the Benn Act not worth the paper its written on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

What are the chances of getting it passed does anyone know.

Remember, this is Boris Johnson's deal. The only one who'd go harder on the terms would be Farage himself.

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    What are the chances of getting it passed does anyone know.

Remember, this is Boris Johnson's deal. The only one who'd go harder on the terms would be Farage himself.

It's down to how many Lab defectors he can get and assuming he has all the ERG on board as well.

Nothing sure about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I know. Who'd have thought that the party with a history of screwing over Northern Ireland would screw over Northern Ireland.

'DUP in "No!!!" shocker'

Boris could perhaps suprise us all and get it past the commons, shafting the DUP.

If it doesnt get passed the commons then JOhnson will be obliged to seek an extension. to think otherwise is to ignore reality.

I rather think you've hit on it there with those last three words.

I'm amused at those who have somehow contrived to see this as all Varadker's (sic) fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

davedanon wrote: »
    I'm amused at those who have somehow contrived to see this as all Varadker's (sic) fault.

Much as I despise him and the blueshirts, the blame lies elsewhere.

• Advertisement

That civil-war politics stuff needs to be ditched. When I hear the word 'blueshirt' I stop listening. and I'm not an FG supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Juncker basically telling England to sh1t or get off the pot.

tigger123 wrote: »
    How is the Benn Act not worth the paper its written on?

There are ways around it, apparently.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-jacob-rees-mogg-eu-law-benn-act-latest-today-deal-boris-johnson-a9154701.html

Johnsons rhetoric these past few weeks would suggest he is not worried about it either. And yes, before you say it, I know his government has confirmed they will send a letter if needed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-jacob-rees-mogg-eu-law-benn-act-latest-today-deal-boris-johnson-a9154701.html

Johnsons rhetoric these past few weeks would suggest he is not worried about it either. And yes, before you say it, I know his government has confirmed they will send a letter if needed.

According to JRM? If you believe him, or Johnson, I have a bridge you may be interested in purchasing.

Every single cunning wheeze they have dreamt up to bypass the Benn Act has been shot down in flames by people who actually know stuff about constitutional law.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

fair play to the negotiating teams for agreeing a solution to the backstop, i never thought they'd get past that tbh. However, there will never be an acceptable deal to Corbyn, the Lib Dems etc since they just dont want to leave the EU. Johnson could win an absolutely insane deal that would shower cash on the british people and they'd still oppose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

And there were technological solutions to the border.

That article doesn't make anything apparent at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

FunLover18 wrote: »
    And there were technological solutions to the border.

That article doesn't make anything apparent at all.

I'm sure if you let JRM lie down long enough he could dream up quite a few. But most of them would involve him dressed as a Viking, waving a sword around so I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

fair play to the negotiating teams for agreeing a solution to the backstop, i never thought they'd get past that tbh. However, there will never be an acceptable deal to Corbyn, the Lib Dems etc since they just dont want to leave the EU. Johnson could win an absolutely insane deal that would shower cash on the british people and they'd still oppose it.

whatever about the lib dems Corbyn is not a fan of the eu and has no problem leaving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They'll, Never!

Never!

Never!

Never!

Never!

Never!

Never......
    Be getting back together!!
    Ohhhhh

This discussion has been closed.