Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,236 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    can you show me where politicians from both sides of the community said a border would restart the war/conflict? - it was nationalist leaders manipulating the EU

Ulster Unionist Party MLA Doug Beattie
    Speaking to Newstalk’s Pat Kenny on Tuesday morning, Ulster Unionist Party MLA Doug Beattie outlined his anxieties about the future stability of the peace process in Northern Ireland as the threat of a hard border looms large.
    An independent unionist MP has warned the British Government that a no-deal Brexit will lead to "greater violence" by dissident republicans along the border which will spark a "backlash" from loyalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

knipex wrote: »
    F**K the whataboutery..

Fill your boots with your axe grinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Referencing the thread title...is tomorrow the bit where you shake the appendage to make sure there is nothing left in there before zipping up?
    Or is there a blockage somewhere and we are going to hog the urinal for a while yet, whistling and humming as if there is nothing wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

What time is the vote in the HOC? I hope it doesn't clash with the rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Markets suggest it will pass tommorow (WA) Price @1.83 was available up until the last hour or so:

TwdzYqw.png

Further gains also likely on GBP (vEUR) assuming no fly in the ointment.

What time is the vote in the HOC? I hope it doesn't clash with the rugby

It won't, have no fear.

Referencing the thread title...is tomorrow the bit where you shake the appendage to make sure there is nothing left in there before zipping up?
    Or is there a blockage somewhere and we are going to hog the urinal for a while yet, whistling and humming as if there is nothing wrong?

Without the ledwin amendment there is a distinct possibility of someone reaching around and zipping you up entirely before they ought to!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Just trying to get my head around Irish imports from UK post Brexit. As I see it Irish VAT and import duties will have to be paid at point of entry. However, if UK companies send their goods to Belfast, can they be delivered throughout Ireland without any taxes or duties :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Can someone summarise boris johnson’s “deal” in 10 lines for me? I’m lost...and thick..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

jos28 wrote: »
    Just trying to get my head around Irish imports from UK post Brexit. As I see it Irish VAT and import duties will have to be paid at point of entry. However, if UK companies send their goods to Belfast, can they be delivered throughout Ireland without any taxes or duties :confused:

As I understand it, goods crossing from Britain to The north are subject to tariffs, which will be covered under rebate schemes.

These tariffs wouldn't be placed on personal goods, ie something bought from an online business which is heading for an end user - say a book or TV from Amazon.

Lots of stuff to be ironed out yet, but that's the gist of it.

As I understand it, goods crossing from Britain to The north are subject to tariffs, which will be covered under rebate schemes.

These tariffs wouldn't be placed on personal goods, ie something bought from an online business which is heading for an end user - say a book or TV from Amazon.

Lots of stuff to be ironed out yet, but that's the gist of it.

..and you forgot the black cloud that will follow every Unionist, proud and true, with 'You are no longer British' written on it. Apparently. :)

Uh oh, the odds for the HoC to pass the WA have flipped from shortening 1.83 yesterday, drifitng way out to 2.5 this morning.

Still think however it'll pass. Mainly due to simple topical fatigue more than anything.
    Currency is also holding steady EURGBP flirting with .85.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,890 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Uh oh, the odds for the HoC to pass the WA have flipped from shortening 1.83 yesterday, drifitng way out to 2.5 this morning.

Still think however it'll pass. Mainly due to simple topical fatigue more than anything.
    Currency is also holding steady EURGBP flirting with .85.

FX retail markets close from Friday evening to Sunday evening. It's likely you are getting your numbers from one of those sources so you're not going to see movement

FX retail markets close from Friday evening to Sunday evening. It's likely you are getting your numbers from one of those sources so you're not going to see movement
    Perhaps, would there not be some trading elsewhere?

Probably more accurate is the live market for Y/N, which in the last 30mins has drifted further 2.63. Either it represents value, or a growing concern.

eCWwkAQ.png

Please just get it done today.

I just want them to leave now so they can continue their Europe psychodrama internally and leave the rest of the EU in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

..and you forgot the black cloud that will follow every Unionist, proud and true, with 'You are no longer British' written on it. Apparently. :)

I am genuinely miffed at the hardline unionists anger over how this was played out, I mean they were a minority voice in the north, other unionists didn't want to have brexit, nationalists didn't want it, famers didn't want it, businesses didn't want it.

They ignored all of the above, not just because they are so insecure of their identities, but because at the back of it all, the DUPers are the ultimate trolling party.

Mays Deal was unquestionably a better deal for them, but they pushed back and scuppered it.

Downcow and co up there should be rightly pissed off at the DUP now, but you wait and see - it'll be everyone else's fault, that's how it goes in unionist circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭briany

I heard that after Bercow steps down as speaker, he's going to become a maths teacher. He'll be great at teaching division, or great at announcing that he's going to teach it.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    I heard that after Bercow steps down as speaker, he's going to become a maths teacher. He'll be great at teaching division, or great at announcing that he's going to teach it.
    D'Abbot is also going into maths, as was seen counting sheep (sleeping) during an important debate on the brexit (that was live and televised):
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1192889/Brexit-News-Diane-Abbott-deal-debate-Labour
    Reckon JC could well win an election if he didn't have her dragging him down and spinning occasional yarns.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So there could be no vote on the deal and an automatic 3 month extension?

I'm so confused I don't know what's going on being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Boggles wrote: »
    So there could be no vote on the deal and an automatic 3 month extension?

I'm so confused I don't know what's going on being honest.

Me too. I thought BoJo was already obliged to seek an extension under the Benn Act so I don't understand what difference this Letwin thing makes

Me too. I thought BoJo was already obliged to seek an extension under the Benn Act so I don't understand what difference this Letwin thing makes

Benn act only applies if there is no deal, if they vote yes today there is a (probably illegal) chance that they later vote down the actual legislation for the deal, thus triggering a potentially Benn-free immediate Brexit with no extension.

Happy to be corrected on that, but that's my crude understanding.

What a shambles.

They can still get it through next week but i'd rather they just got it over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,809 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

New referendum "fcuk off brexit" party would do wonders

Meaningful vote to take place on Monday (possibly).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Benn act only applies if there is no deal, if they vote yes today there is a (probably illegal) chance that they later vote down the actual legislation for the deal, thus triggering a potentially Benn-free immediate Brexit with no extension.

Happy to be corrected on that, but that's my crude understanding.

Exactly, it's like the Benn act when a deal is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is the first time I'm really hearing this concept of voting for the deal, but then voting against the supporting legislation. My question is if this is a viable option to bring about a no-deal, then why didn't all the no-deal heads attempt it in March? And a following question is why is such a big deal even made over actually voting for the deal if that's only the first hurdle in a potentially uncertain process?

• Advertisement

The other issue is MPs will seek to attach all sorts of amendments that contradict the actual agreement with the EU.

The whole thing is a total nonsense.

We should be negotiating with the British government, not the parliament.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement