Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

8-10 wrote: »
    In fairness though there's a lot of difference in the couple of days from early to mid December for the time for debate and passing legislation through both houses as well as the sizeable student vote which would have ramifications to university towns if students are still at uni for the election and voting there as opposed to being registered at home and already being on holidays by then.

All the proposed dates are Pre Christmas.

No one AFAIK is advocating a New Year election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I am thinking there is a nasty surprise for Swinson in this ge, the remainers will surely back labour if they want any political clout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

But labour wants Brexit too, no?

But labour wants Brexit too, no?

Corbyn wants Brexit, the Labour masses not so much.
    Labour also has many pro-remain in heavily leave constituencies.

Politics sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Boggles wrote: »
    All the proposed dates are Pre Christmas.

No one AFAIK is advocating a New Year election.

Yes I'm talking about when students break for Christmas, the difference between pre-Christmas dates. Nothing about New Year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The problem with the one-line bill is that amendments can be made, and the Lid-Dems have already done so: a proposal to allow 16 and 17 year-olds to vote. The Tories have said they'll scrap the election if it is adopted.

So I wouldn't be counting any poultry just yet.

Brexit officially extended to 2020:

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2019/10/29/brexit-european-council-adopts-decision-to-extend-the-period-under-article-50/?utm_source=dsms-auto&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Brexit%3a+European+Council+adopts+decision+to+extend+the+period+under+Article+50

Is it time for the humble pie yet or are we waiting until Nov 1st?
    They will be gone on the 31st, mark my words
    I'll deserve apologies after the 31st of October but I wouldn't expect anyone here to eat humble pie.
    Before mods thread-ban me for "soap boxing", which of course, everyone else is doing except me, I'm going to leave. I don't want to be thread banned on the 31st. Bye friends, I'm preparing a meme sh1storm for you all :D
    Sorry that was the Threxit interim period. Now entering the article 50 period so I'm off until the 31st Oct. Ill still be watching though. Bye.
    keep dreaming guys. Oct 31st cannot come soon enough.
    I dont think it will get past the commons, UK will leave on 31st on wto terms. Surrender/Benn act not worth the paper its printed on. UK will prosper in a couple of years then more will follow. Bye bye EU

*commons may ratify, either way, they are leaving on 31st. Democracy has prevailed. This is what decent leadership is about. Teresa May was too weak
    Oct 31st cannot come soon enough for the epic giggles.

The large female is clearing her throat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I am thinking there is a nasty surprise for Swinson in this ge, the remainers will surely back labour if they want any political clout.

The SNP are waiting in the long grass for her in East Dumbartonshire. They will target her seat and portray her as a Tory in SD clothing, her praising of Margaret Thatcher and her previous embracing of Tory politics will make her seat vulnerable.

https://www.kirkintilloch-herald.co.uk/news/politics/east-dunbartonshire-mp-jo-swinson-says-she-won-t-swap-seats-to-ensure-re-election-1-5034256

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

davedanon wrote: »
    The large female is clearing her throat...

I dont think Anne Widdecombe gets a say in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

68501245_1060458900829845_199722022282985472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQnv1MhoRtXyZaS8hljWKlb7pQob9Qv-gaOOX1DbsbhZyNagwJwlM7zjccmeJRy-gDmxRhGip2awGVxeC8RXzGyc&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.xx&oh=26fd46a1b9a19e89928a45b379fc84ed&oe=5E1735BC

They're such arseholes - all of them. Sick of the ignorance of these people and their incessant scapegoating of foreigners/the EU for what is, in every single respect, an internal English problem in its creation and perpetuation.

Such dim ignorant bastards in the English underclass who allow themselves to be duped by the same Eton/Cantab/Oxon-educated Tory toffs who have been at the forefront of the globalisation/low taxation for the richest/pro-immigration to keep labour costs down/race to the bottom that the Brexit-supporting abject ignorami in Sunderland, Holyhead and the like are duped into scapegoating the EU for.

Now, with no British Empire or colonies to dump all these ignorant rejects upon to "civilise" the world, the English for the first time in centuries will have to deal with all the jingoistic demons the Tory rightwing and their ineffably repellant Europhobic media have nurtured for decades of EU membership, and for centuries of English nationalism/imperialism.

Not enough credit is given to the fact that imperial positions and outposts have always served as a release for internal English conflict, pressure and tension - be it dumping the Calvinists/Presbyterians and their ilk in Ireland or America in the 17th century, getting rid of younger sons in noble families by giving them land and positions abroad or getting rid of criminals, thugs and the underclass by putting British military uniforms on the Lee Cleggs of England and sending them into the darker regions of the planet like south Armagh or Kenya. This English political/colonial circus of making non-British pay for the tensions within English/British society has been on the show for far too many centuries now, and the odious reprobates need to be brought down many, many pegs.

The souped-up chickens of English jingoism and conceit are coming home to roost back in England and not, for the first time, on the natives of other lands. Finally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,980 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Democracy is in for a fun evening apparently:

EIDnT_MXYAcg1Fn.jpg:large

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

"Democracy is at steak".

The only thing to say to that is 'well done'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Chaos with Ed Miliband

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

The UK papers are running with the findings (shock!) that the UK economy might not get a Bexit dividend: in fact they will take a £70bn hit every year in perpetuity. And that's with a half decent EU deal.

What's not as clear, but equally dangerous, is this hit to GDP at average UK tax/GDP ratio of 30% means £21bn less tax revenue for the Govt. each year.

Boris's slogan of #BritainDeservesBetter is probably the most unfortunate slogan for a government in power for nearly 10 years...

HAPPY BREXIT DAY EVERYONE. TODAY WE GATHER TO WISH GREAT BRITAIN ADIEU, AS THEY SAIL OFF INTO THE POST-EU SUNSET. FAREWELL. FAREWELL, OLD FRIENDS.

oh wait.

paging kidchameleon....

paging cryptocurrency...

hello...?

I'm here for the aforementioned meme sh*tstorm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,980 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

494105.jpg

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

What is certain is that the UK does not really want to leave the EU and Brexit has been driven by a minority of the elite who failed to get any sort of Brexit done and, further, are afraid to go back to the people. It is only a matter of time before this whole thing dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What is certain is that the UK does not really want to leave the EU and Brexit has been driven by a minority of the elite who failed to get any sort of Brexit done and, further, are afraid to go back to the people. It is only a matter of time before this whole thing dies.

It'll be a fascinating part of the history books in the future for sure. So many things going on at the same time:

- Unexpected Brexit vote
    - Scottish referendum already happened and was close
    - PM putting forward the vote resigns at the result
    - Conservatives lose majority
    - Northern Ireland border emerges as the red line on both sides
    - Conservatives turn to the DUP to prop up the government
    - Financial services and big business oppose Brexit but oppose Labour more
    - Labour have incredibly unpopular leader - anybody else and they'd be PM already
    - Boris, prorogation, NI only backstop, do or die, dead in a ditch, second letter

There's just so much to discuss with each of these, it's a really fascinating time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

davedanon wrote: »
    HAPPY BREXIT DAY EVERYONE. TODAY WE GATHER TO WISH GREAT BRITAIN ADIEU, AS THEY SAIL OFF INTO THE POST-EU SUNSET. FAREWELL. FAREWELL, OLD FRIENDS.

oh wait.

paging kidchameleon....

paging cryptocurrency...

hello...?
    The brits just dont have the balls to go and most of us know it, hopefully the EU wont give them another extension.
    Is boris still alive?

The EU are a disgrace, if it wasnt for them stalling, the Brits would be gone now and another nail would be in the EU's coffin. Roll on Oct 31's here's hoping for a hard Brexit, screw the border, the EU must crumble quicky at any cost.
    I wonder if this is sammy wilson

Im glad the next PM will be a man.
    ye have tried a woman and tried a man, what next mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Crypto and the Kid were active on the site yesterday and this morning respectively.

It's ok folks, it is safe to post, we won't bite.

Wondering where do you guys go from here after yet another PM letting you down?

He's a chameleon today alright, no fvcking sign of him here

Anyone else like cats?

73227375_10220656350747451_704388741216600064_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQm3208zhL72CgTMQGcGkbJ0B7I-l6B8kiFN8FAhYvOMcYolA6I8nNilrtXdUYOYd00&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=689b1bc31b06c5998500251721419205&oe=5E1B19DB

• Advertisement

I love the way those two seem to have the DESTRUCTION OF THE EU as an aspiration.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement