Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

davedanon wrote: »
    Interestingly, Donald Trump shares your views on markets and economies.

Indeed. Id take the views of a billionairre over anyone here regarding economics

• Registered Users Posts: 25,597 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Indeed. Id take the views of an alleged billionairre over anyone here regarding economics

Seeing as no one knows his true monetary worth and he refuses to release his tax returns I have had to slightly alter your post to reflect the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭KildareP

Well the Boris bounce didn't last long, sterling down 2c (Euro) and nearly 3c ($) on the £ this morning with his new Dec 2020 cliff-edge exit plans.

And so the cycle starts once again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

KildareP wrote: »
    Well the Boris bounce didn't last long, sterling down 2c (Euro) and nearly 3c ($) on the £ this morning with his new Dec 2020 cliff-edge exit plans.

And so the cycle starts once again :(

FTSE at 4 month high and added 50 billion..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭KildareP

MayoSalmon wrote: »

And so was Sterling yesterday.

FTSE is down on yesterday's close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    And how much has all this depressed since the Brexit vote?

All that hoo-ha abouty the pound rebounding and it's still crap against the euro and dollar compared to three years ago.

What's the point of forming all these trade deals when you can't buy anything.
    Our company has taking advantage of UK retailers for the last 3 years, as their prices are set by their US office. It's fantastic!

It's worth pointing out that the strength of currencies aren't a reflection of the economy either. Currency trading can reflect that in part but just because a currency is stronger doesn't mean that an economy is better.

A currency that is too strong can also be problematic. Sometimes a weakening of currency can be good
    because it can make exports more desirable and can attract tourism.

I'm not sure where this absurd idea of people in Britain not being able to buy things came from either. Do you think the drop in the value since 2016 was so significant?

It's €1.19 to the pound as opposed to roughly €1.30 before the referendum.

Also in 2015 the IMF were saying Sterling was overvalued.
    https://fullfact.org/economy/exchange-rates-and-imf/

What do you mean by added?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭threeball

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And the Irish are the most intelligent people on the planet and never a racist thought passes through their heads. Give over with the sweeping generalisations ffs. :rolleyes:

The Brits certainly haven't done themselves any favours in this whole situation. 95% of the people I saw interviewed hadn't a breeze how the world worked. People in Sunderland claiming they'd be getting their shipbuilding back, old mining towns convinced that steel and even coal mines were going to reopen. Others saying I voted against brexit but now I'm voting for it because they made such a mess of it and I'm sick of it.

I'm sorry but it takes a special kind of stupid to convince yourself of any of those points. They've sucked up Tory lines from London since Maggie about it being Europes fault and they still can't see reality. Compare that to the pragmatism in northern Ireland when faced with questions on economic outcomes and the differences were stark.

In general being a little bit thick and a little bit racist is ultimately what is carrying Brexit.

Markets are volitile when theres uncertainty. They generally climb when certainty is brought to a situation but they are certainly no indicator of a positive outcome. Afterall, the whole thing hinges on mood and assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

threeball wrote: »
    The Brits certainly haven't done themselves any favours in this whole situation. 95% of the people I saw interviewed hadn't a breeze how the world worked. People in Sunderland claiming they'd be getting their shipbuilding back, old mining towns convinced that steel and even coal mines were going to reopen. Others saying I voted against brexit but now I'm voting for it because they made such a mess of it and I'm sick of it.

I'm sorry but it takes a special kind of stupid to convince yourself of any of those points. They've sucked up Tory lines from London since Maggie about it being Europes fault and they still can't see reality. Compare that to the pragmatism in northern Ireland when faced with questions on economic outcomes and the differences were stark.

In general being a little bit thick and a little bit racist is ultimately what is carrying Brexit.

Righty, I listen to a lot of British radio and never heard any mention of coal mines reopening, ship building returning etc. Many, many of us are simply sick of the EEC/EU and finally got the opportunity to get out - simples. As for being thick and racist - you stating that is being thick and racist (anti-British so it's ok) in itself or do you not get that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Righty, I listen to a lot of British radio and never heard any mention of coal mines reopening, ship building returning etc. Many, many of us are simply sick of the EEC/EU and finally got the opportunity to get out - simples. As for being thick and racist - you stating that is being thick and racist (anti-British so it's ok) in itself or do you not get that?

Some people would rather believe that the only reason brexit happened was a bunch of unrealistic tropes that they invented were believed. In the mind of some, brexit is all either working class people without a braincell who hate black people or incredibly greedy billionaires trying not to pay taxes, their usual blame game for everything , I actually can't think of one thing they don't blame white poor people or white rich people for. It makes it easier for them as they never run in to either of these groups, theyre bogeymen who live in knightsbridge or sheffield, couldnt stomach the idea that their local shop keeper, their middle class friends or the chap who delivers their post would have voted for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Some people would rather believe that the only reason brexit happened was a bunch of unrealistic tropes that they invented were believed. In the mind of some, brexit is all either working class people without a braincell who hate black people or incredibly greedy billionaires trying not to pay taxes, their usual blame game for everything , I actually can't think of one thing they don't blame white poor people or white rich people for. It makes it easier for them as they never run in to either of these groups, theyre bogeymen who live in knightsbridge or sheffield, couldnt stomach the idea that their local shop keeper, their middle class friends or the chap who delivers their post would have voted for this.

It’s hard to understand why middle class shop keepers and post men etc would vote for brexit.
    It makes no sense. The UK has prospered under the EU. Can you agree that it is a bigger better and richer country than it was in 1973??? Is that possible???
    The only logical explanation is racists and rich disaster capitalists are behind it
    Can you give one good reason why a middle class non racist shopkeeper should vote to leave the EU? Besides the clearly debunked non elected bureaucrats lies.

20silkcut wrote: »
    Can you give one good reason why a middle class non racist shopkeeper should vote to leave the EU? Besides the clearly debunked non elected bureaucrats lies.

20150113_EP-014667_GEN_290.jpg

Very selective in what you watch then I wager. It was a BBC documentary on the run in to the Oct 31st deadline that they had labour voters on expecting to reopen the shipyards and the reason why they were moving away from labour.

Another BBC documentary in manchester interviewed 6 people, 4 remainers and 2 leave voters and all had since come down on the leave side as they expected it to bring back industry to cities like Manchester and also because they simply wanted it over.

Anti-British my hole. I had relations in the UK who didn't bother voting at all, a mixture of not having a clue out of pure disinterest and believing it would never pass. Even after the event they didn't get interested. So yes a bit thick and that is prevalent across most of the UK from everything I've seen. The leavers couldn't even give a decent reason for leaving outside of fairystories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

I think all Brits should have a good look at themselves, they are disliked all over the world except by a few people on a small island off the coast of Argentina and a few more living on a rock near Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I think all Brits should have a good look at themselves, they are disliked all over the world except by a few people on a small island off the coast of Argentina and a few more living on a rock near Spain

This as really turned in to a Anti British Thread.

Amazing how irish people think this about the British while in the same breath think that the irish are universally loved worldwide

20150113_EP-014667_GEN_290.jpg

We could do a splendid photo montage of hideous personalities on the brexit side also. That means nothing.
    A photo of guy verhopstadt is not a valid answer.
    I could throw up a photo of Anne widdecombe or farage or Rees- mogg.

Amazing how irish people think this about the British while in the same breath think that the irish are universally loved worldwide
    We are, cant wait for brexit the harder the better, but i fear they wont jump and may need a push or a boot up the ....

We are, cant wait for brexit the harder the better, but i fear they wont jump and may need a push or a boot up the ....

No

You're not, it's just a myth that Irish people tell themselves.

• Advertisement

No

You're not, it's just a myth that Irish people tell themselves.
    will Brits be able to post fake news here after brexit

I think

I doubt anyone on here believes that for one minute

I could throw up a photo of Anne widdecombe or farage or Rees- mogg.

Please do, legends.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks for that vote of confidence in me. You will probably dislike me even more if you keep up this anti British crap

A photo of guy verhopstadt is not a valid answer.

Oh and by the way Verhoffstdat alone is a reason for the EU to disband, a complete snake

My observation is that they have gained more respect globally. They have declared to the world that they respect democracy, have the balls to stand on their own two feet and will not be pushed around by beaurocrats. They have done us all a favor in the long run, such power must not be confined to one superstate.

My observation is that they have gained more respect globally. They have declared to the world that they respect democracy, have the balls to stand on their own two feet and will not be pushed around by beaurocrats. They have done us all a favor in the long run, such power must not be confined to one superstate.
    good for ye, I agree fully ye should go and I want ye to go, but I fear we will be stuck with ye

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

My observation is that they have gained more respect globally.

Britain is largely seen as a mess because of this farce. However the rest of the world are view Britain right now, it's very far from "respect".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Tony EH wrote: »
    Britain is largely seen as a mess because of this farce. However the rest of the world are view Britain right now, it's very far from "respect".

Must set up new manufacturing plant in Europe. Hmmm. Where should I set up? Oh, Britain looks like a good bet!

• Advertisement

Usually when countries obtain freedom it is after a valiant armed struggle against an oppressive power.
    Brexit is not exactly that. More a slow bike bicycle race exercise of democracy.
    Britain in the eyes of the world is not a persecuted country. It is a wealthy country, as we are all reminded ,the fifth largest economy in the world.
    Nobody outside Britain can see exactly what the problem is. No one can sympathise with their perceived grievances with the EU. Considering there is actually real blood being spilled in countries like Ukraine to achieve a closer alliance with the EU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement