Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

That quote isn't recent, either. He's deteriorated significantly since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

This guy? Really?

He's been impeached by the way. First President to seek re-election after the event.

Can feel you own IQ diminishing when trying to read that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭mattser

This guy? Really?

He's been impeached by the way. First President to seek re-election after the event.

Is this not a thread about Brexit ?. Otherwise you know where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That President Twitter quote is something else.

It's like a really bad machine translation on a brand new localisation program that has no translation memory and has to do everything from scratch.

Remarkable stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

This guy? Really?
    “Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.”

Pure poetry. Reads like a passage James Joyce would have written. The uneducated eye will not see the beauty in the artistic wizardry of the words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wholesomely agree with your analysis and one can only but appreciate the dulcet tone of the delivery of his remarks too.

A true statesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This guy? Really?

Conviction in the Senate requires a two-thirds supermajority vote of those present. The gop controls the senate. He'll be acquitted. I would say the Dems will be the ones to suffer for this.

I don't blame them for doing it ...i mean how much corruption are you supposed to tolerate?? But they must know they can't get it through a senate trial. So tactically there really is no point. Morally obviously there is.

This is a Brexit thread, right ?

Jesus, you people are so anal about staying on-topic.

davedanon wrote: »

Explain, please

• Advertisement

Settle down in the stable with the big black horse so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

In fairness Trump and brexit have this weird telepathic symbiotic connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I don't like Trump, but you know as well as I do that the impeachment was given in a partisan manner in a partisan chamber and that he won't be convicted. It means nothing.

For what it is worth America has the exact same problems in its politics as Britain has before Boris got a big majority. The Democrats should take note, screaming and railing against an election loss could bite them again in middle America in 2020. The same failed recipe will give them the same failed result.

Back to Brexit - it was refreshing to see such a big majority for the withdrawal bill yesterday. 358 to 234 a 124 majority at the second reading. A stable government able to make clear decisions. The UK will be out by January and able to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I understand the arguments on both sides, but that discussion ended for me three and a half years ago. It is time to move on and get the best arrangement possible.

Great, I've been waiting for years for somebody to tell me the benefits of leaving without them being de-bunked. Can you finally be the person to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

There's a specific thread for the other topic

Great, I've been waiting for years for somebody to tell me the benefits of leaving without them being de-bunked. Can you finally be the person to do it?

Unicorns for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

And nobody cares, he'll be re-elected. The whole impeachment is a pointless charade.
    Greta has been owning him all year.

Wow, she is a complete puppet, she hasn't been owning anyone. Poor child.
    It's 'billionaire'.

Who cares

There are pros and cons to both options. The British people decided that leaving was a better option than remaining in the European Union. I explained this in this post.

You misinterpreted my post.

My point was that the argument is settled. It should have been settled in 2016 with the referendum in fact, but it is definitely settled after this election in 2019. I have no interest in re-debating the referendum. It was three and a half years ago.

The UK needs to move on and get the best arrangement possible given Brexit is certain.

I don't like Trump, but you know as well as I do that the impeachment was given in a partisan manner in a partisan chamber and that he won't be convicted. It means nothing.

For what it is worth America has the exact same problems in its politics as Britain has before Boris got a big majority. The Democrats should take note, screaming and railing against an election loss could bite them again in middle America in 2020. The same failed recipe will give them the same failed result.

Back to Brexit - it was refreshing to see such a big majority for the withdrawal bill yesterday. 358 to 234 a 124 majority at the second reading. A stable government able to make clear decisions. The UK will be out by January and able to move on.

Now, see? Another topic gets introduced, and straight away a hitherto seemingly articulate and intelligent poster (ok, I may have been skimming his tl;dr posts a bit) puts up something that is just fraudulent and intellectually bankrupt). A blind man can see that Trump is a criminal mob boss. Thanks. I can now safely ignore everything you post from now on.

And nobody cares, he'll be re-elected. The whole impeachment is a pointless charade.

Wow, she is a complete puppet, she hasn't been owning anyone. Poor child.

Who cares

For spelling, punctuation, grammar? Certainly not you.

• Advertisement

Now, see? Another topic gets introduced, and straight away a hitherto seemingly articulate and intelligent poster (ok, I may have been skimming his tl;dr posts a bit) puts up something that is just fraudulent and intellectually bankrupt). A blind man can see that Trump is a criminal mob boss. Thanks. I can now safely ignore everything you post from now on.

Goodness, I don't need you to validate my intelligence or how articulate I am.

How about we stop being personal and we engage with the topic using reason and logic rather than descending into the famous argumentum ad hominem?

I'm simply saying that the impeachment means about as much as the last three years of kicking and screaming about Brexit have meant for remainers. The outcome in both cases is this - Donald Trump remains president because the Senate won't convict him (and may even win the next election), and Brexit still happens because the kicking and screaming embolden the public to vote Conservative.

That's a bit of realpolitik. A bit of pragmatism may get the Democrats and the Labour party out of their respective quagmires.

It should have been settled in 2016 with the referendum in fact, but it is definitely settled after this election in 2019

More people voted remain in 2016 than voted Tory and Brexit party combined in 2019

People saying it's settled and done are incredibly naïve. It'll be at least a decade until there's a clean and full break between the UK and the EU and there's a hell of a lot of negotiation and debate in the meantime.

If anyone thinks it's leaving in March, transition over in December and 2021 we've all moved on with our lives never to hear of Brexit again you're sorely wrong. Much more debate and now a real possibility of a new Scottish independence referendum and possible border poll in the coming years

This is the beginning not the end

8-10 wrote: »
    More people voted remain in 2016 than voted Tory and Brexit party combined in 2019

People saying it's settled and done are incredibly naïve. It'll be at least a decade until there's a clean and full break between the UK and the EU and there's a hell of a lot of negotiation and debate in the meantime.

If anyone thinks it's leaving in March, transition over in December and 2021 we've all moved on with our lives never to hear of Brexit again you're sorely wrong. Much more debate and now a real possibility of a new Scottish independence referendum and possible border poll in the coming years

I meant that the question of whether or not the UK is leaving the European Union is settled. Particularly after yesterday's vote in the Commons. Not that there are no more negotiations left.

The fact that even now after 3 different votes where the public voted for leave (Labour said they were going to leave in 2017) you are still arguing the result is somehow invalid speaks volumes.

I meant that the question of whether or not the UK is leaving the European Union is settled. Particularly after yesterday's vote in the Commons. Not that there are no more negotiations left.

The fact that even now after 3 different votes where the public voted for leave (Labour said they were going to leave in 2017) you are still arguing the result is somehow invalid speaks volumes.

Where I'm I arguing that it's invalid?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mattser wrote: »
    Is this not a thread about Brexit ?. Otherwise you know where to go.
    If you have a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the modding to the mods

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

There are pros and cons to both options. The British people decided that leaving was a better option than remaining in the European Union. I explained this in this post.

You misinterpreted my post.

My point was that the argument is settled. It should have been settled in 2016 with the referendum in fact, but it is definitely settled after this election in 2019. I have no interest in re-debating the referendum. It was three and a half years ago.

The UK needs to move on and get the best arrangement possible given Brexit is certain.

Yeap absolutely. If the remoaners had just left well enough alone we wouldn't have had the last three years wasted on anti democractic fanciful gibberish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

8-10 wrote: »

Spoken like a true remoaner. It’s over. Listening to momentum is driving you all insane.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

splinter65 wrote: »
    Spoken like a true remoaner. It’s over. Listening to momentum is driving you all insane.
    From now on if posters refer to other posters as "remoaners" they can expect sanction and/or post deletion.

There is no reason discussion cannot be civil

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

And nobody cares, he'll be re-elected

Hes even money in the bookies to be re elected . That's a licence to print money. Get on it before it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hes even money in the bookies to be re elected . That's a licence to print money. Get on it before it's gone.

It's an event with two possible outcomes and no more.

How is that a licence to print money? The man's a national disgrace.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement