Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

It's an event with two possible outcomes and no more.

How is that a licence to print money? The man's a national disgrace.

No, the nation has Trump derangement syndrome. In reality, he is doing a great job. He is guaranteed a second term because Americans will vote with their pocket and not with what the biased media say. And president Trump has lined Americans pockets very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

No, the nation has Trump derangement syndrome. In reality, he is doing a great job. He is guaranteed a second term because Americans will vote with their pocket and not with what the biased media say. And president Trump has lined Americans pockets very well.

the only one of his promises he delivered is removing the troops from syria.
    it was obama's work that has lead to americans having their pockets lined, trump is just riding that wave.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Nope, he's lined the pockets of the swamp dwellers very well. Amazing as it may seem, the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer under The Donald. All thanks to his new tax code in 2017.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK guys - there are and have been plenty of threads discussing Trump. This is not one of them, so can we all get back on the topic of Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

splinter65 wrote: »
    Spoken like a true remoaner. It’s over. Listening to momentum is driving you all insane.

But it is not over., The Brits voted to leave without even knowing what leaving meant.. It will take years to fully untangle themselves from Europe and I bet within 2 years of fully getting out, they will be looking to get back in.. The Brits spent so much time spouting lies about the EU and what leaving would do for them and were so preoccupied with whether or not they could leave that they didn't stop to think if they should.” ...

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, there will be a batch of commemorative 50p coins made to mark the occasion.

From RTE.ie:

"The 50 pence coin will be inscribed with the EU exit date of 31 January, and the words "peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations".

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/1221/1102594-brexit-coin-uk/

I saw a picture of the previous version (that was minted for the previous exit date) and they looked really nice. Ill certainly be picking up a couple of these next time I'm across the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

For anyone interested, there will be a batch of commemorative 50p coins made to mark the occasion.

From RTE.ie:

"The 50 pence coin will be inscribed with the EU exit date of 31 January, and the words "peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations".

I saw a picture of the previous version (that was minted for the previous exit date) and they looked really nice. Ill certainly be picking up a couple of these next time I'm across the pond.
    Why?

Why?

Strange thing for an Irish person to be buying alright unless you thought it might have some financial value in say fifty years time.

Why?

As a momento of Brexit

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Strange thing for an Irish person to be buying alright unless you thought it might have some financial value in say fifty years time.

They are just normal 50p's. So no need to "buy" them per se. You probably have a tonne of the things scattered about your house as it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Goodness, I don't need you to validate my intelligence or how articulate I am.

How about we stop being personal and we engage with the topic using reason and logic rather than descending into the famous argumentum ad hominem?

I'm simply saying that the impeachment means about as much as the last three years of kicking and screaming about Brexit have meant for remainers. The outcome in both cases is this - Donald Trump remains president because the Senate won't convict him (and may even win the next election), and Brexit still happens because the kicking and screaming embolden the public to vote Conservative.

That's a bit of realpolitik. A bit of pragmatism may get the Democrats and the Labour party out of their respective quagmires.

Not validating. Dismissing.

As a momento of Brexit

Yes i get that,but why would you want a memento of brexit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

A 'momento'. And dude. To own the libtards, of course.

From RTE.ie:

"peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations".
    On a british coin. Just about sums up how disingenuous that nation is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why?

Insipid nationalism. That's why.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

No need to go all the way to the UK to get a memento. There are plenty of them on gov.uk that you can print out from the comfort of your own home.

Eg. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/826998/Simplified_procedures_application__C_E48.pdf

Perhaps those 19 pages could be arranged across your living room wall. Some nice frames and high quality paper and you're set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Why?
    brit or west brit, feck all difference, they mite need 50p when they are cut off from the rest of Europe, cant wait for them to be gone, that 'oven' needs to be turned up to the max with a few brits thrown in there for good measure

I understand that some people are against it, but the majority such as myself are for it. It will be a great occasion in my opinion with many positive effects for Ireland, Britain and the world thereafter so personally, I would like a memento. I get that it would not be everybody's cup of tea.

I'm Irish and it has nothing got to do with nationalism as far as I am concerned, it is about keeping power in the hands of each individual nation. Britain should be ruled by the British, France by the French etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

davedanon wrote: »
    Not validating. Dismissing.

Ending discussion because I said something you didn't like implies you don't have a valid argument to bring to the table. I only said it was partisan which is true, if one party makes a decision without any others it is by definition partisan. Sometimes there's nothing wrong with partisan but it is logical to say that in this case it won't achieve anything. That's also true in this case.

The left and Labour need to find better responses than dismissing others for their decision to vote against them. They will get beaten next time if this happens again.

Your point about nationalism has some point to it, but what's wrong with being patriotic?

Personally I take the approach of Socrates in this regard and say I'm a citizen of the world rather than being patriotic about being Irish for example. But it is a genuine choice for others.

It reminds me of that time when Milliband sacked Thornberry from the shadow cabinet for being aghast that someone in Rochester decided to show an England flag from their house.

If Labour don't begin to understand the people outside of their metropolitan elite they will get thrashed again. Guaranteed.

I understand that some people are against it, but the majority such as myself are for it. It will be a great occasion in my opinion with many positive effects for Ireland, Britain and the world thereafter so personally, I would like a memento. I get that it would not be everybody's cup of tea.

I'm Irish and it has nothing got to do with nationalism as far as I am concerned, it is about keeping power in the hands of each individual nation. Britain should be ruled by the British, France by the French etc.
    All of Ireland by Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

I meant that the question of whether or not the UK is leaving the European Union is settled. Particularly after yesterday's vote in the Commons. Not that there are no more negotiations left.

The fact that even now after 3 different votes where the public voted for leave (Labour said they were going to leave in 2017) you are still arguing the result is somehow invalid speaks volumes.

Except for the fact that the main reasons for voting for brexit re the @2016 referendum was based on a lot of seriously misleading information and lack thereof. Then this morphed into the reason why the Thories did so well in the last election - being the nation ‘being fed up to the teeth’ with the ’tooing and frooing’ , the uncertainty, more misinformation, more lies , U turns, etc, etc, etc.
    IMO , Boris Johnston had the strategy of boring the nation with the brexit issue and offering to get it out of the way and move on and not complicating the issue with any more detail. IMO also the disastrous strategies of the LIB Dems and the Labour Party only helped the Conservatives to its big voting success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Field east wrote: »
    Except for the fact that the main reasons for voting for brexit re the @2016 referendum was based on a lot of seriously misleading information and lack thereof. Then this morphed into the reason why the Thories did so well in the last election - being the nation ‘being fed up to the teeth’ with the ’tooing and frooing’ , the uncertainty, more misinformation, more lies , U turns, etc, etc, etc.
    IMO , Boris Johnston had the strategy of boring the nation with the brexit issue and offering to get it out of the way and move on and not complicating the issue with any more detail. IMO also the disastrous strategies of the LIB Dems and the Labour Party only helped the Conservatives to its big voting success

You're still arguing against the result after an absolute thumping by the electorate. The public want him to get on and get this done.

It is unfortunate that three and a half years were wasted by people who railed against the people's decision.

At least you understand that Brexit is actually happening now right?

All of Ireland by Ireland ?

Northern Ireland is British territory.

Field east wrote: »
    Except for the fact that the main reasons for voting for brexit re the @2016 referendum was based on a lot of seriously misleading information and lack thereof.

With all due respect, these conspiracy theories look even more stupid every day. Leave won, remain lost, fair and square. Its done now so your better off dealing with reality - Britain are leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

But nothing to do with nationalism.....

I suggest you ask Santa to give you a clue for Christmas because you badly need to get one.

Northern Ireland is British territory.

With all due respect, these conspiracy theories look even more stupid every day. Leave won, remain lost, fair and square. Its done now so your better off dealing with reality - Britain are leaving.
    What if 51% of it's people want a United Ireland

First Up wrote: »
    But nothing to do with nationalism.....

I suggest you ask Santa to give you a clue for Christmas because you badly need to get one.

Nothing at all, its about smaller government

What if 51% of it's people want a United Ireland

Its unclear from your post what exactly you mean but ill take a stab at it..

A decision like that is up to everyone in Ireland and Britain, not just the people of NI.

Mathematically speaking, 51>49

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Nothing at all, its about smaller government

Hurry up Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

There are pros and cons to both options. The British people decided that leaving was a better option than remaining in the European Union. I explained this in this post.

You misinterpreted my post.

My point was that the argument is settled. It should have been settled in 2016 with the referendum in fact, but it is definitely settled after this election in 2019. I have no interest in re-debating the referendum. It was three and a half years ago.

The UK needs to move on and get the best arrangement possible given Brexit is certain.

What should have been settled? The reason we're here is that it was undefined. We still don't know what the end game is, or what it looks like. This doesn't end in January. This is where it starts. This is why you see Boris and Co again on the offensive and trying to bury the word "Brexit". It'll be a ****show with the UK being the ultimate loser.

As for your reasoning....fine, but what you're ultimately getting saying, if we dig a little deeper, is that you're against success. I can't really understand it otherswise. For example, what laws in particular would you like the UK to have more of a say on?

If you buy the net contributor BS then there's actually no reasoning with you. Yes, the UK pays more than what it receives. On the face of it, I think it equates to about 0.7% of GDP. But what happens if the UK leaves on any type of arrangement that removes the alignment with the EU? Multiples times of that are lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

You're still arguing against the result after an absolute thumping by the electorate. The public want him to get on and get this done.

It is unfortunate that three and a half years were wasted by people who railed against the people's decision.

At least you understand that Brexit is actually happening now right?

You have completely misunderstood my point- unless you have done so on purpose. Maybe a hint might help you . But if someone won her/ his case in court - but under false pretenses- there would be a retrial if the plaintiff so desired. The question is “ was the referendum passed under a heavy dose of false pretenses”?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement