Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

I already explained it.

Honestly, I don't think you have. You've applied a very anti-EU slant to the history of the Euro I would say.

I've reread your posts about it and it doesn't convince me that Germany is in control of Europe's banking system. Ireland had enough control over its own that we walked ourselves into an absolute shltshow during a time of global crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I've reread your posts about it and it doesn't convince me that Germany is in control of Europe's banking system. Ireland had enough control over its own that we walked ourselves into an absolute shltshow during a time of global crisis.

I accept the incompetence of this country.

Who controlled the levers after?

The Bundesbank through the ECB. That is who. That is why the country was asset stripped and made to enforce devaluation internally through our national budget. Because we don't have what sovereign countries have - the ability to devalue our currency.

We don't have our own currency - we have a fcuking Berlin currency. This is why the Euro is a catastrophic construct for us - and great for who it is meant.

Germany is strong when the periphery is weak.

Don't ever forget that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

First Up wrote: »
    The "democratic deficit" gives Ireland and other small countries a seat at the table and an equal vote with the large nations. That's what a union of sovereign states means.

If it was a parliament "in the true sense" you would be accusing it of ruling over the "super state" you say the evil EU wants to become.

I didn't say that the EU wants to be a super state, so please respond to my posts rather than anyone else's.

You could ask me what I think rather than telling me what I think. I was replying to a poster who told us on this thread that the European Parliaments are where decisions are made. This isn't true. This is where decisions made by the European Commission are rubber stamped.

If there is a fear of the larger countries in the EU dominating over member states if the European Parliament had more power surely that just demonstrates that the EU is too big and has too much control over matters that should be deferred to national parliaments.

Perhaps a better model would be that legislation can be proposed to national parliaments from the European Commission and then accepted, amended, or rejected in national parliaments. Or indeed that national parliaments can propose legislation that can be considered across Europe.

The reality is that the EU doesn't want reform, it wants to stay the way it is. The UK decided that this wasn't good enough for them and they decided to leave and take back control. That's a respectable decision.

I accept the incompetence of this country.

Who controlled the levers after?

The Bundesbank through the ECB. That is who. That is why the country was asset stripped and made to enforce devaluation internally through our national budget. Because we don't have what sovereign countries have - the ability to devalue our currency.

Don't ever forget that.

But that strength is historical, and would be the case anyway.

Ireland's biggest issue is its debt I thought. Devaluing would make it more expensive to pay off surely. You have to go back to the creation of the euro to get away from that.

What's your thoughts on what would be best now? Or what should have happened?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ignore the core meaning of the argument like all deniers do with diversion and nonsense.

Here it is again.

Explain how the Bundesbank does not control the ECB....you can't!? Really!!???

Dismissed.

Can you substantiate this at all or are you just ranting, hoping someone else will make your point for you?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The reality is that the EU doesn't want reform, it wants to stay the way it is. The UK decided that this wasn't good enough for them and they decided to leave and take back control. That's a respectable decision.

A decision that they and every other EU member is free to make.

The EU has evolved from a 6 country commission overseeing the coal and steel industries into a 28 country single market and trade bloc that can compete with the US, China and anyone else. You think that can happen without "reform"?

There is lots going on within the EU every day; big differences between France and Germany (and others) about enlargement, immigration, convergence third party trade agreements and much more. These and other topics are debated passionately every day. The EU has not "stayed the way it is" for more than a few weeks any time in the last 20 years.

But the strength of the union is the union itself; compromise, mutual respect and a rules based system of governance. Forget the guff about German dominance; other smaller and poorer countries (Ireland included) have grown far faster than Germany. Yes, the euro benefits German exports. It benefits everyone else's too.

Ireland messed up its own economy. So did Greece. We were both bloody lucky to have the EU there to pull us out of the mess.

You could ask me what I think rather than telling me what I think. I was replying to a poster who told us on this thread that the European Parliaments are where decisions are made. This isn't true. This is where decisions made by the European Commission are rubber stamped.

You know nothing of how the EU works. Nothing emerges from the Commission that hasn't been hammered out between representatives across all member states for months if not years. Most decisions get through parliament quickly because all the thorny issues have been sorted already.

Everyone gets their say. The Commision is a secretariat, not an autocracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

54and56 wrote: »
    Nothing has been grabbed. EU member countries have democratically decided to club together for mutually beneficial reasons. No one is forcing any country to do anything it doesn't want to do.

Lisbon Treaty /your argument

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

A decision that they and every other EU member is free to make.

The EU has evolved from a 6 country commission overseeing the coal and steel industries into a 28 country single market and trade bloc that can compete with the US, China and anyone else. You think that can happen without "reform"?

There is lots going on within the EU every day; big differences between France and Germany (and others) about enlargement, immigration, convergence third party trade agreements and much more. These and other topics are debated passionately every day. The EU has not "stayed the way it is" for more than a few weeks any time in the last 20 years.

But the strength of the union is the union itself; compromise, mutual respect and a rules based system of governance. Forget the guff about German dominance; other smaller and poorer countries (Ireland included) have grown far faster than Germany. Yes, the euro benefits German exports. It benefits everyone else's too.

Ireland messed up its own economy. So did Greece. We were both bloody lucky to have the EU there to pull us out of the mess.

That last piece shows you really shouldn't be posting here. Clueless.

US2 wrote:

Oh right. Only those who messed up their own finances are entitled to express a view eh?

• Advertisement

Lisbon Treaty /your argument

What's yours?

US2 wrote: »

We'd be better off in the Atlantic outside it?

Can you substantiate this at all or are you just ranting, hoping someone else will make your point for you?

Another one who thinks blindly it's a union of equals. :rolleyes:

I already explained it but you don't care enough to read.

But it does not matter what I or anyone else say - you will still believe in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

But it does not matter what I or anyone else say - you will still believe in it.
    You have not 'explained', you have made some standard UKIP/Brexit Party claims that have been debunked here and elsewhere many times.

If I'd had the humiliation of posting a classic fictional quote to support my claims, I'd be re-evaluating all the nonsense I currently believe, rather than doubling down on a belief system that's clearly not based in objective reality.

I look forward to you quouting the Protocols of the Elders of Zion shortly to support some other idiotic claim.

US2 wrote: »
    The last piece about how FF in Ireland and the Greeks messed up their own economies?

If you have any interest in the latter, you might want to read the epic Vanity Fair article, 'Beware of Greeks Bearing Bonds'.

Warning - contains facts.

Another classic fallacy. 'For X to be rich, Y needs to be poor'. Absolute nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's a "no", then.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

That's a "no", then.

Eh no, as I just said I have already made the argument successfully.

I am not going to to go over it it again for every denier.

Another one who thinks blindly it's a union of equals.

Nobody ever said it was. But you miss the union bit.

Eh no, as I just said I have already made the argument successfully.

All evidence to the contrary.

• Advertisement

All evidence to the contrary.

Please provide said evidence

Please provide said evidence

Your posts.

They won't provide evidence.

I put my case articulately - but because it is true and they are indoctrinated to believe the opposite they simply can't entertain it as an argument - even though it is fact. We are in post fact world.

It's sad. I am not going to continuously repeat fact when it is not taken on board as fact. They prefer their fiction.

Nothing can be done.

Your posts.

That is not an argument. Please provide citations of your claims

Nothing can be done.

Propose what should be done.

Brexit has created a schism where the middle ground is largely lost. But ignoring that, what do you think is the best way forward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Propose what should be done.

Brexit has created a schism where the middle ground is largely lost. But ignoring that, what do you think is the best way forward?

To leave the EU on January 31st and to negotiate a free trade arrangement with the EU and other countries I would have thought.

Why? Well - because the people have voted for it on 3 separate occasions now.

It's time to move on. At least that's the impression I get from British people, it's the impression I have myself as an Irish person living there. The country needs to move on to other priorities.

With a non paralysed parliament Johnson can do that. That's the main reason I voted Conservative in the election (as a 2016 remain voter).

They won't provide evidence.

I put my case articulately - but because it is true and they are indoctrinated to believe the opposite they simply can't entertain it as an argument - even though it is fact. We are in post fact world.

It's sad. I am not going to continuously repeat fact when it is not taken on board as fact. They prefer their fiction.

Nothing can be done.

No, you haven't. You've just ranted incoherently and then expected other people to do the work of disproving your points when they're patently nonsense.

No, you haven't. You've just ranted incoherently and then expected other people to do the work of disproving your points when they're patently nonsense.

Quote my points. Very articulate and coherent.

The EU is German dominance by a means other than military.

I'm not going to be a parrot for deniers.

To leave the EU on January 31st and to negotiate a free trade arrangement with the EU and other countries I would have thought.

Why? Well - because the people have voted for it on 3 separate occasions now.

It's time to move on. At least that's the impression I get from British people, it's the impression I have myself as an Irish person living there. The country needs to move on to other priorities.

With a non paralysed parliament Johnson can do that. That's the main reason I voted Conservative in the election (as a 2016 remain voter).

My post was from an Irish perspective where we have not had a Brexit, and to an Irish poster. I meant that Brexit has just entrenched a lot of the ideas regarding it and the middle ground is a bit lost.

I look forward to the UK forging forward. They have shown that it's what they want and while the future is unclear, the underlying of it unambiguous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I am not going to to go over it it again for every denier.
    Why does your vocabulary remind me of that of Scientology recruiters (and of even worse people in modern history)?

I can only assume you're a victim of the same kind of poisonous populist propaganda that's been excluding reasoned debate from the UK media and whipping up hate between its citizens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement