Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

the members voted for it.
    in our case we got concessions and had to vote again as it was a different deal, i would imagine that it would probably have been found unconstitutional if we didn't and someone took a challenge.
    democracy in action.

What do you think would have happened had we said no a second time? That crappy treaty was coming no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

What do you think would have happened had we said no a second time? That crappy treaty was coming no matter what

No it wouldn't but what was crappy about it anyway?

First Up wrote: »
    No it wouldn't but what was crappy about it anyway?

Lisbon-Treaty-01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

First Up wrote: »
    It isn't an FTA.

Yes, it is.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:
    The Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) (unofficially, Canada-Europe Trade Agreement) is a free-trade agreement between Canada, the European Union and its member states. It has been provisionally applied, so the treaty has eliminated 98% of the tariffs between Canada and the EU.
    Stay in the prison of the Eurozone? lol

You are indoctrinated - fact means nothing. I could say Germany runs the EU and that the EU is German expansion by other means and you would automatically say no. It's amazing what Germany has achieved.

To indoctrinate so many and to have fooled so many across the contintent is an AMAZING achievement.

It won't last and that is when Germany goes to war again.

For the record, I think the UK should leave. Ireland as a small nation stands to benefit more. There is also not the political will to leave. Should any of those conditions change, I'd join you.

Yes, it is.

98% is not 100% and it isn't operational yet anyway despite years of haggling.

More importantly, Canada/EU trade is not based on the time critical movement of goods - supply chains based on just in time delivery that are possible in the Single Market.

That's fine for shipments between Europe and Canada; a days delay for customs is no big deal. It isn't remotely good enough for the sort of trade the UK was able to develop as a member of the SM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Ah yes, I remember getting conscripted into the EU army, then working a 2 euro an hour job on a collective farm that was eventually closed as we couldn't compete with the German beef farmers, all the while the Irish government couldnt pass any laws preventing forced abortions and euthanasia.

If only I had listened to Coir and Eireigi!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kermit.de.frog

You are perilously close to a threadban - indeed but for me trying to avoid being too strict over the festive period you would probably have been subject to one

Firstly keep the discussion civil. Questioning another poster's intelligence is never going to pass that test

Secondly you are perfectly entitled to express your own opinion - that's part of what this forum is about. Stating your opinion is "fact" without being prepared to provide any evidence of its factual nature is not acceptable

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

Quote my points. Very articulate and coherent.

The EU is German dominance by a means other than military.

I'm not going to be a parrot for deniers.

The EU allows tiny European countries like Ireland and Estonia wield disproportionate influence on the European and world stage.

Prove otherwise.

(notice how articulate and coherent that was)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Arise Sir Iain Duncan Smith.

Bercow must really be hurting after such a public snub. The first speaker in over 200 odd years to be ignored.

I'd say he will be the first voted off on Strictly too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Bercow must really be hurting after such a public snub. The first speaker in over 200 odd years to be ignored.

I doubt that he gives a flying flamingo about it actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i doubt he gives one you know what at all, tbh given he did his job correctly and to the letter, taking no sides, dispite what the no facts but feelings brigade suggest.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

What Ireland should do isn't hard. Stay in the EU and advocate for a good FTA with the UK because it is in Ireland's interest to do so.

Stay in the prison of the Eurozone? lol

You are indoctrinated - fact means nothing. I could say Germany runs the EU and that the EU is German expansion by other means and you would automatically say no. It's amazing what Germany has achieved.

To indoctrinate so many and to have fooled so many across the contintent is an AMAZING achievement.

It won't last, and that is when Germany goes to war again.[/quote]

War talk and Germany is just silly. Germany only has made economic progress as they have tried to create the illusion their intentions were good but now that people have serious questions about that then they could be slapped back into their box fairly easy. As for military might...i would say they would struggle in conflict with even Poland or Italy alone. Germany is about as much of a global powerhouse as Sri Lanka.

I doubt that he gives a flying flamingo about it actually.

Oh, he wanted it, wanted it bad. He is even on record saying he wanted it and his little C4 speech on Christmas day was his effort to shore up his credentials to his limited fan base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

He should hold his head high. He is a genuine hero, and he doesn't need a bloody K to prove it. The majority of Tory peers are loathsome specimens of humanity.

As for military might...i would say they would struggle in conflict with even Poland or Italy alone. Germany is about as much of a global powerhouse as Sri Lanka.

They seem to scare the crap out of you.

I doubt anything scares crypto, mighty keyboard warrior that he is.

davedanon wrote: »
    He should hold his head high. He is a genuine hero, and he doesn't need a bloody K to prove it. The majority of Tory peers are loathsome specimens of humanity.

When you are loathed inside your own country for your actions and celebrated outside it then it says all that needs to be said about the man. He showed his bias time and time again and never followed protocol. It has been fitting that his face when the exit poll results were announced were citing as peoples favorite memory of the man. He will now have to scrape a living doing the TV circuit outside of the UK, but that doesn't have much longevity. Just how many times can he sit on the sofa with Tubs? He needs some serious revelations in his book now as it will be his one last big pay day for his retirement.

No matter what side of the debate you are on, the failed remain side or the successful leave side, there is no doubting that Bercow was not impartial. He was a terrible speaker and IMHO, guilty of treason.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5792013/John-Bercow-anti-Brexit-sticker-car.html

Worst of all, he is a complete cuck:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1173969/John-Bercow-wife-sally-Bercow-affair-speaker-of-the-house-married-children

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bercow's final act is to demonstrate very clearly what the royal honours list really is. A PM's plaything. Brilliant.

Imagine getting an 'honour' off Johnson and trying not to feel dirty. :(

No matter what side of the debate you are on, the failed remain side or the successful leave side, there is no doubting that Bercow was not impartial. He was a terrible speaker and IMHO, guilty of treason.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5792013/John-Bercow-anti-Brexit-sticker-car.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1173969/John-Bercow-wife-sally-Bercow-affair-speaker-of-the-house-married-children

The fact that you use that word, a well-known alt-right slur, and the fact that you despise him because his wife might have had an affair and he hasn't thrown her out, as compared with the behaviour of the likes of Johnson, and especially Trump, speaks volumes about you as a person. And just to be clear, I don't mean in a good way.

• Advertisement

No knowledge of what treason is and throwing out terms like cuck which belongs in America..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Just incel things. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,974 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Two link dumps from highly dubious tax-dodging sources? No thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Bercow's final act is to demonstrate very clearly what the royal honours list really is. A PM's plaything. Brilliant.

Imagine getting an 'honour' off Johnson and trying not to feel dirty. :(

Bercow does not deserve such an honor, he blatantly went against the peoples wishes on numerous occasions.

davedanon wrote: »
    The fact that you use that word, a well-known alt-right slur

https://www.dictionary.com › slang › cuck

"A cuck is a weak, effeminate, unmanly, or inadequate man, who is often dominated by their female partner. It is considered derogatory slang."

Its just a word, what is "alt_right" about it? I have heard people of all political persuasions using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

When you are loathed inside your own country for your actions and celebrated outside it then it says all that needs to be said about the man.
    I'm sure there were hundreds of people loathed in NAZI Germany and celebrated as heroes abroad. Your general rule looks 100% solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

the successful leave side

They haven't even left yet. Come back in a few years time and we'll see how successful leaving the EU, under Tory stewardship, has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Bercow does not deserve such an honor, he blatantly went against the peoples wishes on numerous occasions.

no he didn't.
    he upheld the rules of parliament, which is his job. it's not his job to represent the wishes of anybody, just the rules of parliament.
    he did that across the board, hence brexit supporters have an issue with him.

https://www.dictionary.com › slang › cuck

"A cuck is a weak, effeminate, unmanly, or inadequate man, who is often dominated by their female partner. It is considered derogatory slang."

Its just a word, what is "alt_right" about it? I have heard people of all political persuasions using it.

i have never come across anyone who isn't alt right using the term.
    the term is generally associated with the alt right.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

NOT receiving a gong is a plus and a badge of honour. IMV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No he doesn't deserve it because he got out of the place with his integrity intact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement