Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

SantaCruz wrote: »
    I'm sure there were hundreds of people loathed in NAZI Germany and celebrated as heroes abroad. Your general rule looks 100% solid.

That is the kinda hysterical comparisons on Brexit which swung the vote and gave Boris a landslide. Remainers are not people who can be taken seriously

no he didn't.
    he upheld the rules of parliament, which is his job. it's not his job to represent the wishes of anybody, just the rules of parliament.
    he did that across the board, hence brexit supporters have an issue with him.

i have never come across anyone who isn't alt right using the term.
    the term is generally associated with the alt right.

"Everyone who doesn't agree with me is a nazi or alt-right "

I think the more hysterical people get about the likes of Brexit then the more likely these types of results will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

That is the kinda hysterical comparisons on Brexit which swung the vote and gave Boris a landslide. Remainers are not people who can be taken seriously

that says more about the people who swung to vote for borris dispite the record of the conservative party, then it ever could about those making comparisons which are not hysterical but realistic and which those who swung to vote for borris probably are unable to understand in reality.
    remain voters and others are the ones who can be taken seriously.

"Everyone who doesn't agree with me is a nazi or alt-right "

no, i have disagreed with plenty on my own side over issues.
    however, if one uses terms generally associated with the alt right, and over all holds views generally associated with the alt right, it probably is a reasonable assumtion to make that they may be alt right themselves.
    "I think the more hysterical people get about the likes of Brexit then the more likely these types of results will happen.

again, that says more about the people voting for the result on the basis that they don't like another's viewpoint, or another putting out facts, then it ever could about those getting "hysterical" aka putting out facts, about a particular outcome.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What does his private life have to do with politics, unless of course he was involved in potential crime.

Also does it not require more strength to stand by someone who has betrayed you? How would such a thing, if it actually happened, make him weak? Perhaps he is self confident enough that it doesn't matter to him. Perhaps he has an arrangement? Not everything is black and white. But we will just go ahead and use derogatory slang like a 14 year old.

that says more about the people who swung to vote for borris dispite the record of the conservative party, then it ever could about those making comparisons which are not hysterical but realistic and which those who swung to vote for borris probably are unable to understand in reality.
    remain voters and others are the ones who can be taken seriously.

no, i have disagreed with plenty on my own side over issues.
    however, if one uses terms generally associated with the alt right, and over all holds views generally associated with the alt right, it probably is a reasonable assumtion to make that they may be alt right themselves.

again, that says more about the people voting for the result on the basis that they don't like another's viewpoint, or another putting out facts, then it ever could about those getting "hysterical" aka putting outfacts, about a particular outcome.

What facts have the remain side spouted. Keeping saying that they were stating facts while leave was all lies and Russians doesn't make it true.

All I've seen from remain is hysterical claims of Armageddon, and all they have managed is to show they are weak, pathetic, low testosterone, human beings. You can't look at a remainer repeating the same mantra of "lies, Russians, bots, bus" followed by them foaming at the mouth asking where the £350 million for the NHS a week the very next day after the vote without looking at them with pity. They all seem so tragic and weak. Nations have never been built or ever will be with such people.

The latest one is to keep mention the claim boris made to leave on the 31st followed by saying "we haven't left yet" when asked when these claimed 7 plagues will start.

The only facts we are 100% is that the UK will leave. They 7 plagues and Armageddon will not happen. The UK will get a deal. It will all be fine. We know all that 100%...that is the Facts we do know.

The EU is on shaky ground and it will get worse and as this unfolds we will have to remind every remainer who pipes up on any political or economic topic that it's best the be quiet, go cry in a room, nobody cares about their weak view of the world and go be a doormat somewhere else.

I seen someone use the word cuck in the thread earlier...if it is viewed alt-right, or a big bad bully boy word or whatever term some of the offended types want to call it, one thing is for sure, it's one of the most accurate words of the modern age to sum up just how weak some of society is these days. To actually be in total hysteria because of a tiny possibility of a minor delay of Spanish oranges in Dover. These are not people who should have their views either celebrated or acknowledged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What facts have the remain side spouted. Keeping saying that they were stating facts while leave was all lies and Russians doesn't make it true.

All I've seen from remain is hysterical claims of Armageddon, and all they have managed is to show they are weak, pathetic, low testosterone, human beings. You can't look at a remainer repeating the same mantra of "lies, Russians, bots, bus" followed by them foaming at the mouth asking where the £350 million for the NHS a week the very next day after the vote without looking at them with pity. They all seem so tragic and weak. Nations have never been built or ever will be with such people.

The latest one is to keep mention the claim boris made to leave on the 31st followed by saying "we haven't left yet" when asked when these claimed 7 plagues will start.

The only facts we are 100% is that the UK will leave. They 7 plagues and Armageddon will not happen. The UK will get a deal. It will all be fine. We know all that 100%...that is the Facts we do know.

The EU is on shaky ground and it will get worse and as this unfolds we will have to remind every remainer who pipes up on any political or economic topic that it's best the be quiet, go cry in a room, nobody cares about their weak view of the world and go be a doormat somewhere else.

I seen someone use the word cuck in the thread earlier...if it is viewed alt-right, or a big bad bully boy word or whatever term some of the offended types want to call it, one thing is for sure, it's one of the most accurate words of the modern age to sum up just how weak some of society is these days. To actually be in total hysteria because of a tiny possibility of a minor delay of Spanish oranges in Dover. These are not people who should have their views either celebrated or acknowledged.

the european union is perfectly fine. not perfect, but will be much much better then britain likely will in the next few years.
    britain will get a deal, but it will be the one where they will have to take what they are given, and it will be nothing compared to what they have currently.
    it's not the 1950s anymore, what britain once had to offer it no longer has to offer. it's nice to have them around but they are not essential anymore.

and yeah, delays at the ports due to customs checks where there were none before, and where the country refuses to spend money on enough staff to do them, is very serious business, and they will quite likely be lengthy.
    but yeah, feelings, experts are bad, something something.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

Is this a serious comment?

Can you think of any political leaning in the UK that continuously drags in the NAZIs, the USSR, and WW2 into discussions about EU membership?

the european union is perfectly fine. not perfect, but will be much much better then britain likely will in the next few years.
    britain will get a deal, but it will be the one where they will have to take what they are given, and it will be nothing compared to what they have currently.
    it's not the 1950s anymore, what britain once had to offer it no longer has to offer. it's nice to have them around but they are not essential anymore.

and yeah, delays at the ports due to customs checks where there were none before, and where the country refuses to spend money on enough staff to do them, is very serious business, and they will quite likely be lengthy.
    but yeah, feelings, experts are bad, something something.

Cool story, bro.

Only reading today that the UK is expected to surpass Germany as Europe's biggest economy and just how much the EUs percentage of trade will shrink. Lots of different views.
    I'm firmly of the belief that the EU will and is being left behind at an alarming rate over the next two decades.

Only reading today that the UK is expected to surpass Germany as Europe's biggest economy and just how much the EUs percentage of trade will shrink. Lots of different views.
    Where did you read this cool story, bro?
    I'm firmly of the belief that the EU will and is being left behind at an alarming rate over the next two decades.
    It never ceases to amaze me how people can't tell the difference between relative and absolute shares of trade, and what it means.

If you need it broken down into tiny words, please let me know and I'll do my best to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

"All I've seen from remain is hysterical claims of Armageddon, and all they have managed is to show they are weak, pathetic, low testosterone, human beings."

All I can say to cryptocurrency is that some of us are quite happy with our low testosterone, as it goes rather well with being female.

But maybe just think about it for a minute before you call us weak?

• Advertisement

Fogmatic wrote: »
    "All I've seen from remain is hysterical claims of Armageddon, and all they have managed is to show they are weak, pathetic, low testosterone, human beings."

All I can say to cryptocurrency is that some of us are quite happy with our low testosterone, as it goes rather well with being female.

But maybe just think about it for a minute before you call us weak?
    This is characteristic of the desperately low-brow thinking of the alt-right. They think they are the only ones who can see the truth, but the fact is that they are sad throwbacks to failed ideas that died in the 1970s.

As much as it is fun to read Ron Burgundy's thoughts on Brexit from Cryptocurrency, it's also a bit sad.

Where did you read this cool story, bro?

It never ceases to amaze me how people can't tell the difference between relative and absolute shares of trade, and what it means.

If you need it broken down into tiny words, please let me know and I'll do my best to explain.

https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-on-the-wane-global-economics-demographics-gdp/

University of Denver

This is characteristic of the desperately low-brow thinking of the alt-right. They think they are the only ones who can see the truth, but the fact is that they are sad throwbacks to failed ideas that died in the 1970s.

As much as it is fun to read Ron Burgundy's thoughts on Brexit from Cryptocurrency, it's also a bit sad.

What failed ideas of the 70s. I'm more a fan of the ultra successful one's of London and Washington in the 1980s

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Cool story, bro.

This is a fantasy.

Sigh.

I wonder where the wealthiest people in the world will be living in 2100? Hint: it won't be in India, China, Ethiopia or Nigeria.

Again, let me try to gently push you in the direction of understanding the difference between relative and absolute wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sigh.

I wonder where the wealthiest people in the world will be living in 2100? Hint: it won't be in India, China, Ethiopia or Nigeria.

Again, let me try to gently push you in the direction of understanding the difference between relative and absolute wealth.

Strangely enough, they’re flocking here in greater numbers than ever from these future powerhouses- I wonder why that is...!

road_high wrote: »
    Strangely enough, they’re flocking here in greater numbers than ever from these future powerhouses- I wonder why that is...!
    I'm going to guess that they understand better than some posters here that 100 people with 2 euros are not richer than 1 person with 1 euro.

road_high wrote: »

Funny thing, I have had a third company contact me just before Christmas via LinkedIn as their moving their sales, IT and technical support operations from London to Dublin due to brexit, funny thing to hear from their London based hr manager.

Caught up with a mate from college today for our annual drinks and he's had a U.S. based tech company who are doing the same, their currently set up near Stephen's Green until they can secure a lease on a more permanent office.

Interesting times ahead.

I'm going to guess that they understand better than some posters here that 100 people with 2 euros are not richer than 1 person with 1 euro.

This is where you have shown you don't understand it at all. The numbers game. In 30 years time the 1.4 billion in India will have how many of them middle class and above...even if it was just a few hundred million then they would be more then Europe..Throw the rest of Asia and South America into the mix, and the figures are even more startling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭54and56

In answer to the original question, my response is ” Please do so as soon as possible".

No one (apart from the Union of GB&NI) ever wants to trap a member nation in its group against its will.

The sooner GB&NI are out of the EU in all it's formats the better it is for those of us who want to stay in and benefit from the strength being part of the EU gives us.

• Advertisement

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Funny thing, I have had a third company contact me just before Christmas via LinkedIn as their moving their sales, IT and technical support operations from London to Dublin due to brexit, funny thing to hear from their London based hr manager.

Caught up with a mate from college today for our annual drinks and he's had a U.S. based tech company who are doing the same, their currently set up near Stephen's Green until they can secure a lease on a more permanent office.

Interesting times ahead.

We've been hearing this for years and the numbers that have moved have been tiny. Let's hope some actually do move or there will be a glut of oversupply in commercial office space.

We've been hearing this for years and the numbers that have moved have been tiny. Let's hope some actually do move or there will be a glut of oversupply in commercial office space.

Well here's at least one by the looks of things, and it's not one of the three that have been in contact with myself.

https://tech.newstatesman.com/cloud/onelogin-emea-hq-london-international-expansion

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/jobs/onelogin-dublin-emea-hq-cloud-identity-access

Going by the articles, they have decided to move their emea hq to Dublin a little more than a year after stating that it would be in London.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Well here's at least one by the looks of things, and it's not one of the three that have been in contact with myself.

https://tech.newstatesman.com/cloud/onelogin-emea-hq-london-international-expansion

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/jobs/onelogin-dublin-emea-hq-cloud-identity-access

Going by the articles, they have decided to move their emea hq to Dublin a little more than a year after stating that it would be in London.

30 people...and look at the figures.

Please,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

And if you look at the figures in the article you reference it shows the UK will pass Germany in roughly 2075. That's not exactly around the corner now is it. It's also not as if there is a million and one things that is going to happen over the next 55 years. So the article doesn't really backup your assertions of "alarming rate over the next two decades"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Sigh.

The point is that they will be bigger markets to trade into than the European market will be. It is no longer the 1970's. That's part of the reason why looking to an independent trade policy is probably a good thing for Britain.

That's a strong argument irrespective of whether you dismiss it.

The fact is Britain has never been given a positive reason to stay over this period. Even during the referendum it was a fear based campaign. Even now remainers arguments are fear based. People don't buy it and rightfully so given how many doom predictions were proven wrong (George Osborne's treasury forecasts during the referendum of an immediate recession anyone?).

In the cases I've heard, where a company has moved part or all it's operational offices, they haven't come to Ireland because it's too expensive for both the setting up and the effects on the staff. Instead, they've found it cheaper to sponsor the move to Poland or another Eastern European country as the range of English speakers is high, the costs of living/operating are low, and they remain in the EU.

The idea of loads of companies would come to Ireland is a pipe dream as a result of Brexit. 20 years ago, sure... now? no.

In the cases I've heard, where a company has moved part or all it's operational offices, they haven't come to Ireland because it's too expensive for both the setting up and the effects on the staff. Instead, they've found it cheaper to sponsor the move to Poland or another Eastern European country as the range of English speakers is high, the costs of living/operating are low, and they remain in the EU.

The idea of loads of companies would come to Ireland is a pipe dream as a result of Brexit. 20 years ago, sure... now? no.

But they are not coming, and the numbers that would be any way worth talking about they won't

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The point is that they will be bigger markets to trade into than the European market will be. It is no longer the 1970's. That's part of the reason why looking to an independent trade policy is probably a good thing for Britain.

That's a strong argument irrespective of whether you dismiss it.

The fact is Britain has never been given a positive reason to stay over this period. Even during the referendum it was a fear based campaign. Even now remainers arguments are fear based. People don't buy it and rightfully so given how many doom predictions were proven wrong (George Osborne's treasury forecasts during the referendum of an immediate recession anyone?).

So basically your logic is that because both the EU and UK will represent a smaller percentage of global wealth that it would be better for the UK to be out on it's own negotiating?

According to that dodgy looking article, UK currently has 3.33% of world GDP. India has 3.71%. In their "non deterministic projection" those numbers will change to 1.03% and 19.79% respectively.

And you think that at that time, it would be better for the UK to be negotiating for deals on it's own? You think they'll have more clout with a trading partner about 10 times it's size rather than as a relatively larger group?

So basically your logic is that because both the EU and UK will represent a smaller percentage of global wealth that it would be better for the UK to be out on it's own negotiating?

According to that dodgy looking article, UK currently has 3.33% of world GDP. India has 3.71%. In their "non deterministic projection" those numbers will change to 1.03% and 19.79% respectively.

And you think that at that time, it would be better for the UK to be negotiating for deals on it's own? You think they'll have more clout with a trading partner about 10 times it's size rather than as a relatively larger group?

That is the whole remain argument in a nutshell isn't it. "we are so pathtic and weak we need each other to stand up against the rising dynamic and developing economies around the world and shelter together against their dynamism"

Let's not compete, let's stick up ridiculous barriers. "hey vietnam, unless you roll out a national gender neatural toilet policy we will block deals and indonesia, you need to be more woke or we are taking our ball home"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

It would be better to be more agile about trade discussions. Deciding for one country is easier than deciding with 28.

Most of the UK's trade goes outside of the EU already. Having the freedom to negotiate alternative trade deals is a good idea.

I also don't buy the idea that trade negotiations by the EU automatically lead to better outcomes for member states. Why? The interests of Poland are different from the interests of the UK.

Negotiating for bigger blocs takes longer but it also means that the one size fits all solution may not benefit every country equally. There are advantages to finding bespoke solutions.

Edit:
    Also the UK is one of the world's largest economies. So I don't see your point about it being somehow unable to negotiate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement