Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

alastair wrote: »
    The EU has threatened the U.K. with precisely zilch. But the U.K. is not exactly in a strong bargaining position. That’s the reality.
    Meh, the UK will have reverted to their traditional position after January 31st. The exception has been the time period within the EU. I do not see them rejoining either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

No. I expect the UK not to tolerate threats from the EU and make it clear that threats and actions against the UK and it's people will be viewed as such.

The UK has just decided to take a different direction to the EU as it doesn't agree with the direction it is going. If these neighbours in the EU thinks this now warrants them to try to "punish" the UK to "warn" others to not think of leaving then they better look out. They are not friends or neighbours if they think that way. The UK needs to make that clear...the message from the UK needs to be "try this on lads and your cards marked".

Again I will ask you what the UK will take to the party, what do they have that the EU needs??? All well and good going in with the chest out, we are the UK, wonderful fellows etc., but what has the UK to offer??? The UK needs the EU more than the EU the UK....if you have nothing then the EU will not be forced into a position to have to accept BJs sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

If a government or anybody was conning the people it would take but just a few weeks before it all unfolded......it hasn't and it is what the people want.

What makes you think that? There are many government that can keep a con going on their people for years. Many people will go along with black being white for the sake of a quiet life. The reality that they were conned is already obvious. Just look at how much the goalpoasts have moves. It used to be promisses of the easiest deal in history, now we just hear moaning about the big bad EU being mean.

The lie of change, economic prosperity, more influence in the world, a global Britain as a result of Brexit is plain from anyone who cares to look. Most people in the UK have chosen not to look and carry on with Brexit regardless. That is their choice, but we here are not obliged to do anything other than call a spade a spade.

The people I am still in touch with over there are now hardened anti EU after what went on last year. And some very anti Leo and sidekick. They didnt go down well with their antics.

I dont know what to say to you as you are so entrenched in your anti-British stuff.

This year will tell.

Why should we care if the truth hurts? It is not our job to make Brexit easy for the UK and if the British don't like it then tough. Taoiseach Varadkar's job is to protect Irelands national interest, not to flatter the man on the streat in the UK. If defending our national interest does not go down well in the UK then all I can say is that's just too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Again I will ask you what the UK will take to the party, what do they have that the EU needs??? All well and good going in with the chest out, we are the UK, wonderful fellows etc., but what has the UK to offer??? The UK needs the EU more than the EU the UK....if you have nothing then the EU will not be forced into a position to have to accept BJs sh1te.

Well if the UK is so useless and has nowt that the EU needs then why has the EU tried to stop them leaving and more to the point why do you lot never stop whining about the UK leaving?

If you hate the UK and its people so much why do you keep banging on about them.

If I hate someone the last I do is keep whining about them all the time. You just become so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Well if the UK is so useless and has nowt that the EU needs then why has the EU tried to stop them leaving and more to the point why do you lot never stop whining about the UK leaving?

If you hate the UK and its people so much why do you keep banging on about them.

If I hate someone the last I do is keep whining about them all the time. You just become so boring.

The EU never tried to stop them leaving. 48% of U.K. voters did mind, I suppose they must hate the U.K. too? ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Lads, don't feed the trolls.

The UK has done f*ck all since they voted to leave near 4 years ago. Now a year after the deadline they're still here, still b*tching and moaning.

I guarantee they'll miss this next deadline and probably extend the transition period repeatedly based on their past blundering.

All talk to the contrary is just wishy washy hopes and dreams, no fact or reality to support it.

The EU never tried to stop them leaving.

:D:D:D:D I aint even gonna go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭joseywhales

When did the EU try to stop the UK leaving?

Also, why do we think the EU wants to 'punish' the UK? They have literally welcomed them back any time.

I think we are imagining acrimony.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Lads, don't feed the trolls.

The UK has done f*ck all since they voted to leave near 4 years ago. Now a year after the deadline they're still here, still b*tching and moaning.

I guarantee they'll miss this next deadline and probably extend the transition period repeatedly based on their past blundering.

All talk to the contrary is just wishy washy hopes and dreams, no fact or reality to support it.

OK we will see. Problem is there is going to be one huge day by day hour by hour minute by minute countdown until the 31st.

I wouldnt like to be any leader with that going on everywhere. The pressure will be unbearable.

The clock is ticking now and it wont stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The EU told them how stupid it was. They voted regardless.

Yet they're still here.

• Advertisement

How exactly has the EU tried to stop the UK leaving? Can you cite a specific example?

I don't hate the UK, I pity them for their disfunctional political system that is all.

Would that be becasue you can't. I bet you can't even give one concrete example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

1. Well if the UK is so useless and has nowt that the EU needs then why has the EU tried to stop them leaving and more to the point why do you lot never stop whining about the UK leaving?

2. If you hate the UK and its people so much why do you keep banging on about them.

3. If I hate someone the last I do is keep whining about them all the time. You just become so boring.

1. The EU held a door open to the people of the UK as your own parliment couldnt decide how to leave. Up to the election it was, as it still is, possible to say we are staying. Would be very foolish of the EU to cut off a possible remainer country...

2. I have never said I hate the UK nor its people. I am doing nothing more than asking what can the UK bring to the table??? Looking at things from a distance, the UK is not in as strong a position as the people (leavers) seem to believe. If the EU says...its over and we will not do business with you for the foreseeable future the UK will suffer more than the EU...Fact.

3. I am not whining....definately not all the time. However your "we are British and the world depends on us"...that is boring...as is your whinging post above.

The flaw in that argument is the two withdrawl agreements signed off by all remaining EU countries and the EU parliament. Westminster refused several times and held up the show (combination of remainers and Brexiteers).

Lets see what stall the Johnson government sets out in the trade negotiations, the political game of how quick is precisely that, a game. Most EU countries and their citizens have long lost interest, it'll be another one in the queue.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    How exactly has the EU tried to stop the UK leaving? Can you cite a specific example?

I don't hate the UK, I pity them for their disfunctional political system that is all.

There is lots of examples even down to reports this last week of extending deadlines etc.

As regards your pity. Shall I put a collection box out for you? i wonder if you would drop a cent in.

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    The flaw in that argument is the two withdrawl agreements signed off by all remaining EU countries and the EU parliament. Westminster refused several times and held up the show (combination of remainers and Brexiteers).

Lets see what stall the Johnson government sets out in the trade negotiations, the political game of how quick is precisely that, a game. Most EU countries and their citizens have long lost interest, it'll be another one in the queue.

Agreed but the people got rid of those delayers or what was left of them.

There is lots of examples even down to reports this last week of extending deadlines etc.

Sure, I bet you met them on holiday, but I wouldn't know them.

I am yet to see a concrete example, if there are so many of them then surely it will be quite easy for you to cite one. Right?

Agreed but the people got rid of those delayers or what was left of them.
    Yes. The FPTP is designed to get a majority. And where there's been a minority or a very slim majority, the resultant parliament has really struggled, as we have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

As regards your pity. Shall I put a collection box out for you? i wonder if you would drop a cent in.

So, lots of examples, which you can cite? Please do.

And, sorry, 'reports of extending deadlines'? What exactly does that even mean?

Please cite some specific examples.

"we are British and the world depends on us"...that is boring...as is your whinging post above.

Never ever said or implied anything of the kind. You are getting me mixed up with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭coolbeans

That's because you've got nowhere to go :D:pac::D:pac:

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    So, lots of examples, which you can cite? Please do.

And, sorry, 'reports of extending deadlines'? What exactly does that even mean?

Please cite some specific examples.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1222235/Brexit-news-latest-EU-trade-deal-January-31-no-deal-Brexit-Boris-Johnson

Theres one report from today but you go look I cant be arsed.

Your the ones who have a problem with a country leaving the EU.

I dont. I couldnt care less.

If thats what their people want then so be it. I dont understand why it bothers you so much and why you so so obsessed with it so much especially as you claim not to hate the country or people.

Let me help you with that. There’s no examples whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1222235/Brexit-news-latest-EU-trade-deal-January-31-no-deal-Brexit-Boris-Johnson

If thats what their people want then so be it. I dont understand why it bothers you so much and why you so so obsessed with it so much especially as you claim not to hate the country or people.

So that's a no then.

davedanon wrote: »
    So that's a no then.

No what?

No what?

No example of the EU stopping the UK leaving.

No example of the EU stopping the UK leaving.

I just gave a repport there were they want to try and extend it again........after nearly 4 years?

I'm out it is so boring.

You realise that the transition only happens after the UK leaves the EU, right? How exactly is a prediction from an EU comissioner that the UK will ultimatly extend the transition period supposed to prevent the UK from leaving the EU? That makes no sence at all.

You give one nonsence example, and then ask other to go support your argument for you. I think we can see quite plainly that you really have no idea what you are talking about.
    I'm out it is so boring.

Sure buddy, being cought out is really very boring. Bye bye.

I just gave a repport there were they want to try and extend it again........after nearly 4 years?

No you didn’t. The U.K. is out of the EU in a month. The trade deal won’t be finalised by the end of the year, or if they are, they will be a poor deal for the U.K. Phil Hogan is simply being honest about the best strategy for the PM.

No you didn’t. The U.K. is out of the EU in a month. The trade deal won’t be finalised by the end if the year, or if they are, they will be a poor deal for the U.K. Phil Hogan is simply being honest about the best strategy for the PM.

He should keep his mouth shut and stick to the job. By all means have scenarios worked out but keep it internal.

As for a politician being honest, good one.

• Advertisement

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    He should keep his mouth shut and stick to the job. By all means have scenarios worked out but keep it internal.

As for a politician being honest, good one.

The EU have their strategy. He wasn’t commenting on that at all. He was giving his honest opinion on what would best serve the PM’s position. As he’s entitled to, same as the rest of us.

If Johnson wants to fast-track trade negotiations, the EU would be delighted to take advantage of that late urgency. It’d be an early Christmas for them. But Hogan is right - saner heads will prevail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement