Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Yeah, the US. If you are wealthy or covered by a company policy you are ok, if not you are screwed.

I'd say get a job, problem solved.

or are unable to access cover for several reasons including pre-existing conditions, their quality of life can be severely compromised.

Thats not my problem nor should it be forced upon other tax payers.

Health care is a massive worry and a huge burden for huge numbers of Americans.

Tough

Igotadose wrote: »
    Who is Michael Barnier? Michel's cousin?

Eh no, got a better response than a semantic one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,968 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Eh no, got a better response than a semantic one?

It's a dodgy, 37 second video posted by someone who is completely apathetic to the needs of anyone who might need some help from society.

That ok?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

Ah yeah, Barnier is a saint, he wouldn't do a thing like that... Completely honest and sincere our Michael is :rolleyes:

"EU's Michael Barnier secretly filmed plotting to use Ireland as a Brexit pawn"

I suppose it's a fool's errand to point out that a) this is not secret filming (unless the person filming the TV show that this was broadcast on was doing so in secret in his/her own house?) and b) it shows nothing of the sort.

It shows Barnier eplaining to the other folks why Ireland must be settled first, or the UK would use it to extract concessions from the EU in trade negotiations.

This is not 'secretly using Ireland as a pawn', it shows a skilled negotiator publicly explaining how he is outmaneouvring the best negotiator Britain could come up with.

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Did anyone ever think that this would be an easy process?

yes, brexit supporters were claiming it would be an easy process, everyone else tried to tell them otherwise but they wouldn't listen. the easiest deal in history was what the leave deal between the european union and britain was described as by the main advocates for brexit.
    My feeling from 2016 was that Brexit would never take place because the EU would create such a political quagmire around the situation that the Brits would relent and vote again. This how the EU operate, we've seen it here on a lesser scale with the Lisbon Treaty.

It's also done to disuade any other member from attempting to democraticly leave the Union.

it has been explained in abundants as to why we had to have a second vote on the treaty.
    concessions, clarifications and all else meant the treaty was different to what we voted on therefore a second vote was required.

Under 18's should get free healthcare as they are not responsible if their parents don't get it for them but as adults healthcare should be paid for like a service.

And the tax take should be in peoples pockets

paying for health care as a service is unviable due to risk of undue hardship and worse.
    you only need to look at the failed american system to know this, where people have to make themselves bankrupt to pay for health care.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Then you have zero experience with US health care and should, frankly, STFU about it. You don't think by 'having a job that provides healthcare' in the US means everything is easy peasy and smooth, do you? It's a nightmare of networks, chargemasters, balance billing, referrals and all kinds of hoops to go through.

Even the HSE is better. Isn't *that* scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

yes, brexit supporters were claiming it would be an easy process,

And it would have been easy if only those pesky ungrateful wee countries had not stood up for themselves and doffed the hat like the old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Tough

This is why you and those like you will not be getting themselves elected in this country anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

This is why you and those like you will not be getting themselves elected in this country anytime soon.

A country is measured on how it treats the weakest in society.

I'm happy that as bad as Ireland is, and as much as people give out about social welfare, no one is dying or paupering themselves over easily treatable conditions.

• Advertisement

Conservatism is on the rise, look at Trump 2016 (and 2020), Brexit among other examples. One of the biggest problems we have today as a civilization (if not the biggest problem) is people failing to take responsibility for themselves. This needs to stop, so be it if there are some casualties along the way. We have economic migration open to all of us, get with the game or get left behind.
    SantaCruz wrote: »
    It shows Barnier eplaining to the other folks why Ireland must be settled first, or the UK would use it to extract concessions from the EU in trade negotiations.

Thats one way to look at it. Unfortunately, it is the wrong way.
    SantaCruz wrote: »
    Why not?

Lets say I get sick, should you and your family pay for my treatment if I couldn't have been bothered getting the resources together myself?

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I'm happy that as bad as Ireland is, and as much as people give out about social welfare, no one is dying or paupering themselves over easily treatable conditions.

One example of many...

https://www.thejournal.ie/inquest-woman-discharges-herself-after-6-hours-on-trolley-4920352-Dec2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah yeah, Barnier is a saint, he wouldn't do a thing like that... Completely honest and sincere our Michael is :rolleyes:

"EU's Michael Barnier secretly filmed plotting to use Ireland as a Brexit pawn"

Lol dude. That is clearly a discussion outlining what he thinks the UK are trying to do.

Or maybe the editor of the video just happened to cut out the bit at the start by accident where Barnier says "this is what we the EU should try to do".

FYI, I'll see your fake news and I'll raise you a Priti Patel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Conservatism is on the rise, look at Trump 2016 (and 2020), Brexit among other examples.

Any Irish ones?

Conservatism is on the rise.

Not here thankfully, you and your programme can bugger off, I want no part of it.

Any Irish ones?

It will take a much longer time in Ireland. We as a nation have gotten very very left leaning. It doesn't help that Irish conservatives are having their right to free speech taken away from them, ask Justin Barrett (leader of the National Party) who had his Twitter account deleted with no reason given (cannot find one link to support that, how surprising, but it is easily verifiable)

Not here thankfully, you and your programme can bugger off, I want no part of it.

Its great that we live in a democracy

It's the correct way. Supporting that claim - the entire approach the EU took to the talks, including changing their position repeatedly to support any version of Brexit that would prevent a hard border in Ireland.

Do you have any support for your claim?
    Lets say I get sick, should you and your family pay for my treatment if I couldn't have been bothered getting the resources together myself?
    The post you are replying to specifies pre-existing conditions. If somebody is born with or acquires some condition, your idela approach is to throw them to the dogs?

You sound like a sociopath.

Or maybe the editor of the video just happened to cut out the bit at the start by accident where Barnier says "this is what we the EU should try to do".

Link please or are you just making that up?

Any Irish ones?

Gemma O'Doherty I suppose.

• Advertisement

Link please or are you just making that up?
    It's claimed to be a secret video - didn't you read your own source? So how is he supposed to find it?

It is, I get to watch the Irish electorate get to know candidates that follow your line of thinking and reject them in their droves.

It will take a much longer time in Ireland. We as a nation have gotten very very left leaning. It doesn't help that Irish conservatives are having their right to free speech taken away from them, ask Justin Barrett (leader of the National Party) who had his Twitter account deleted with no reason given (cannot find one link to support that, how surprising, but it is easily verifiable)

If true, it's most likely because he's a prick who breaks their terms and conditions, which results in the pricks who follow/belive his bullsh1t that freedom of speech is being infringed.

Which the guy you're fawning over doesn't believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

DubInMeath wrote: »
    If true, it's most likely because he's a prick who breaks their terms and conditions, which results in the pricks who follow/belive his bullsh1t that freedom of speech is being infringed.

We have no freedom of speech in Ireland.

Twitter has no obligation to allow you to say what you want.

Since when does free speech mean you have a right to have your opinions aired on a private platform? Twitter is a private company and is well within their rights to deny access to anyone they see fit.

Is there any reason to assume that Mr Barrett, wannabe Great Dictator that he is, did not breach Twitters terms of service?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Ah yeah, Barnier is a saint, he wouldn't do a thing like that... Completely honest and sincere our Michael is

Not only honest and sincere but knowledgable too. Just what a negotiator needs to be. Where's the bit where he encourages the UK to stay?

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    We have no freedom of speech in Ireland.

Twitter has no obligation to allow you to say what you want.

Yes, we do. It is a right set out in our constitution (not even an ammendment like in the US), though it is more constrained in the area of defamation.

The problem with rightwing blowhards is that they have no idea what freedom of speech actually means. It prevents the state from bringing a criminal charge against you based on what you say, it does not give you a right to access any privatly owned platform you like to express your distasteful opinions.

they already have jobs, problem not solved.

it has to be forced upon us tax payers to keep other potential costs low, or even remove them altogether. and not just monitary ones.
    it is your problem when the system ultimately doesn't work and we end up paying more in some way or another.
    Tough

not tough i am afraid.

• Advertisement

Conservatism is on the rise, look at Trump 2016 (and 2020), Brexit among other examples. One of the biggest problems we have today as a civilization (if not the biggest problem) is people failing to take responsibility for themselves. This needs to stop, so be it if there are some casualties along the way. We have economic migration open to all of us, get with the game or get left behind.

conservatism doesn't deliver personal responsibility, it never has and it never will.
    the few casualties of conservatism are not few but many, and not obvious ones.

nope, it's the correct way.

yes, because the majority "can't be bothered" as you put it, to get the resources together.
    in reality they can be bothered, but it's not possible for them to get the resources together to pay for all of their treatment because of the costs of it verses average incomes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement