Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

feargale wrote: »
    Right. They don't. They have to share that function with people like John Reid, David Dewar, Aneurin Bevan, Brendan Bracken, Bernard Montgomery, Cosmo Lang, Robin Williams, Lord Russell of Killowen, Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd etc, not to talk of Clare Short, a daughter of Crossmaglen.

Making the list longer still doesn't give the point any legitimacy.

A surname normally just means someone shagged someone else a few generations back. Or joined a tribe, were adopted, or were human property.

Somewhere in India there's an o'reilly who is about as Irish as a spicy tika masala.

Martin Luther King wasn't much connected to Northern Germany/Scandinavia iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

This gave me a giggle

And they just voted for it today :D

Indeed. To quote the OP on this thread:
    Britain is finally pissing off and getting on with Brexit.
    330 to 231 in the Commons.

Let's see what happens in the other place but it's pretty much in the bag.

It's so refreshing to see a clear decision being made finally. I don't have any regrets about voting Tory last month.

If it wasn't for this election the Commons would have still been paralysed with remain MPs blocking a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

greencap wrote: »

A surname normally just means someone shagged someone else a few generations back. Or joined a tribe, were adopted, or were human property.

Somewhere in India there's an o'reilly who is about as Irish as a spicy tika masala.

John Reid, born in Scotland
    David Dewar,born in Scotland
    Aneurin Bevan, born in Wales
    Brendan Bracken, born in Ireland
    Bernard Montgomery, born in London from a long line of Anglo-Irish
    Cosmo Lang, born in Scotland
    Robin Williams, born in Wales
    Lord Russell of Killowen, born in Ireland
    Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd born in Wales.

John Reid, born in Scotland
    David Dewar,born in Scotland
    Aneurin Bevan, born in Wales
    Brendan Bracken, born in Ireland
    Bernard Montgomery, born in London from a long line of Anglo-Irish
    Cosmo Lang, born in Scotland
    Robin Williams, born in Wales
    Lord Russell of Killowen, born in Ireland
    Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd born in Wales.

Boris Johnson, born in New York.
    Eddie Izzard, born in Yemen.
    James O'brien, born in London.
    Idris Elba, born in London.
    Priti Patel, born in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

If it wasn't for this election the Commons would have still been paralysed with remain MPs blocking a decision.

I think everyone is happy to see that the UK is again capable of governing itself, at least for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Very subtle, very cool, very mature, very, very classy.

Boris Johnson, born in New York.
    Eddie Izzard, born in Yemen.
    James O'brien, born in London.
    Idris Elba, born in London.
    Priti Patel, born in London.

A poster implicitly remarked that heritage alone doesn't make a person of his ancestor's place and I responded by showing that almost all of those people were born in the "Celtic Fringe." I haven't the foggiest idea as to what point you are trying to make in this post, and I would ask for clarification if I thought I would learn anything from you. . However I don't think so and I prefer to ignore from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Aegir wrote: »
    Wow.

What a bizarre post.
    I'm sure you'll agree that it's true enough though: Eastern Europe had significantly more to complain about the UK stealing its young than the UK has to complain about "they tuk our jerbs"

Very subtle, very cool, very mature, very, very classy.

A poster implicitly remarked that heritage alone doesn't make a person of his ancestor's place and I responded by showing that almost all of those people were born in the "Celtic Fringe." I haven't the foggiest idea as to what point you are trying to make in this post, and I would ask for clarification if I thought I would learn anything from you. . However I don't think so and I prefer to ignore from here.

That ethnicity and/or place of birth isn't necessarily tied to surname.
    And that typing out a virtual phone book of names won't make it so. No matter how much you try.

Likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ethnicity and nationhood are a nonsense, anyway. We're all mongrels, and the more miscegenation that happens the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Sure , its way past time for the Big Island Brits to Dump Northern Ireland. Why are they wasting so much of their money on Northern Ireland ?

Looks like the Brits have finally decided to stop throwing good money after bad in Northern Ireland . Very sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

blinding wrote: »
    Sure , its way past time for the Big Island Brits to Dump Northern Ireland. Why are they wasting so much of their money on Northern Ireland ?

Looks like the Brits have finally decided to stop throwing good money after bad in Northern Ireland . Very sensible.

Great. Now we can start.

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

Chris Grey's Brexit blog has been consistently excellent. Here's his latest offering.

https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2020/01/were-beginning-to-see-what-taking-back.html

davedanon wrote: »
    How do you arrive at that conclusion?
    If you were a big Island Brit would you be wasting your money on Northern Ireland ?

If you were a big Island Brit would you be wasting your money on Northern Ireland ?

Maybe you didn't read my post. I asked: "How did you arrive at that conclusion?"

Please answer using facts, rather than your wot I reckon.

Also: "big island Brit"?

Maybe you didn't read my post. I asked: "How did you arrive at that conclusion?"

Please answer using facts, rather than your wot I reckon.
    I assume you understand figures . Big Island brits spend / waste £10 billion or is it £11 billion on Northern Ireland . Thats an expensive hobby even for the eccentric Big Island Brits . They could nearly all do cocaine for that sort of dosh .:eek:

Big Island Brits = Brits on the Big Island as opposed to Brits or even West Brits on the smaller Island .

I assume you understand figures . Big Island brits spend / waste £10 billion or is it £11 billion on Northern Ireland . Thats an expensive hobby even for the eccentric Big Island Brits . They could nearly all do cocaine for that sort of dosh .:eek:

Big Island Brits = Brits on the Big Island as opposed to Brits or even West Brits on the smaller Island .

I understand figures alright. Do you understand reason, and logic? You have failed to make your case. Just spouting numbers won't do it, buddy. Where is your EVIDENCE that Britain is about to cut NI loose? Again, some facts would be good.

I understand figures alright. Do you understand reason, and logic? You have failed to make your case. Just spouting numbers won't do it, buddy. Where is your EVIDENCE that Britain is about to cut NI loose? Again, some facts would be good.
    I am saying clearly and unequivocally that the Big Island brits are bonkers to be wasting their money on Northern Ireland. We know they can be eccentric but this is eccentricity gone loopers .

I am just saying that one of these days they may well say let’s spend the money on cocaine ( or even something else ) rather than waste it on Northern Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I am saying clearly and unequivocally that the Big Island brits are bonkers to be wasting their money on Northern Ireland. We know they can be eccentric but this is eccentricity gone loopers .

I am just saying that one of these days they may well say let’s spend the money on cocaine ( or even something else ) rather than waste it on Northern Ireland .

They spend money on other territories too, because the people (or majority of them) consider themselves British.

• Advertisement

Ah right. So it's just your opinion after all. No actual argument.

They spend money on other territories too, because the people (or majority of them) consider themselves British.
    But the majority for this is getting very Iffy in Northern Ireland .

Unionists have lost the majority of votes in Westminster / Stormont elections .

The demographics are Bigly against Unionism in the younger ages . Northern Ireland as an entity is on its last legs . Why would Big Island Brits keep forking out fortunes for this place ?

And, you know, we all know who 'the Brits' are. No need to be comparing land-masses, really. We can all tell the difference between Britain and NI. And even 'west-brits', to use your quaint phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The demographics are Bigly against Unionism in the younger ages . Northern Ireland as an entity is on its last legs . Why would Big Island Brits keep forking out fortunes for this place ?

Because until the people of NI decide they no longer want to be part of the UK then Britain is obliged to subsidise it's people. It's not rocket science.

Gosh, I don't know, maybe reading up on a bit of political history might help you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I suppose they keep some territories due to strategic importance:

They will not be giving up Gibraltar until the apocalypse

Others due to pride and asserting their status as having some military teeth and sovereignty:

Falklands war

But the north is a problem I'm sure they'd love to be out of but it's the greatest tangled political web, they can't be seen to abandoned 1 million loyalists, perhaps in a world of prolonged British austerity, the unionists in the north might even get sick of being British.

Ah right. So it's just your opinion after all. No actual argument.
    My opinion and knowledge of how much the Big Island Brits are wasting on Northern Ireland plus the Demographic future of Northern Ireland is my argument . Just admit you don’t like my argument and facts i.e. Big Island money and Demographics .

Is it that you are a Unionist who has found yourself on the wrong side of History and Situation . It certainly looks like Unionists are losing .

And, you know, we all know who 'the Brits' are. No need to be comparing land-masses, really. We can all tell the difference between Britain and NI. And even 'west-brits', to use your quaint phrase.
    By using the term Big Island Brits, I acknowledge that there are Brits on the smaller Island. I do this out of respect / recognition and reality .

Gosh, I don't know, maybe reading up on a bit of political history might help you here.
    Do you want me to read history that you like . Mind you, in my posts above I am looking forward .

• Advertisement

My opinion and knowledge of how much the Big Island Brits are wasting on Northern Ireland plus the Demographic future of Northern Ireland is my argument . Just admit you don’t like my argument and facts i.e. Big Island money and Demographics .

Is it that you are a Unionist who has found yourself on the wrong side of History and Situation . It certainly looks like Unionists are losing .

You should trademark 'Big Island Brits'. It's a real winner. You think the Brits are going to abandon NI. That's nothing to do with its demographics. NI may uncouple from Britain as a result, it's true. But it will be NI's decision, not Britain's.

And I was born a Catholic (no longer) in Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement