Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

MadYaker wrote: »
    Gonna come back to this a year when you're wrong about your brexit predictions yet again.

I've yet to be wrong. I have had some poeple who rock back and for and clap like seals over the extact date but that is the sign of someone who is as thick as mince.

EU have imploded on this in the last 4 months, this is fact. It was always gonna happen with a UK leader with some stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

I've yet to be wrong. I have had some poeple who rock back and for and clap like seals over the extact date but that is the sign of someone who is as thick as mince.

EU have imploded on this in the last 4 months, this is fact. It was always gonna happen with a UK leader with some stones.

I think you should brush up on your English. You don't know what the word implode means.

I think you should brush up on your English. You don't know what the word implode means.

Oh I do, theyve been on the back foot for months in Brussels. JAvid in the FT is just part of a rising confidence.

I'm sure Tusk, Guy Vorhof and some others will be in the media soon with some whippish cries about how sad it is and how they want the UK to come back.

Oh I do, theyve been on the back foot for months in Brussels. JAvid in the FT is just part of a rising confidence.

I'm sure Tusk, Guy Vorhof and some others will be in the media soon with some whippish cries about how sad it is and how they want the UK to come back.

You do realise the EU don't want the UK to leave. This has never been a secret. This is the uks choice.

Boris got Mays divorce deal. That is not implosion.

You do realise the EU don't want the UK to leave. This has never been a secret. This is the uks choice.

Boris got Mays divorce deal. That is not implosion.

Mays deal has a trap through the backstop. I have said it a number of times on this forum and I just hope that you didn't see it as if you did you need a doctor.

There is a unilateral exit clause and the UK have been clear it is all over if they do not have a deal this year. Mays deal had the UK trapped indefinitely.

That was the EU's final hope to holding the UK in, now they lost that. It was the killer blow.

• Advertisement

Mays deal has a trap through the backstop. I have said it a number of times on this forum and I just hope that you didn't see it as if you did you need a doctor.

There is a unilateral exit clause and the UK have been clear it is all over if they do not have a deal this year. Mays deal had the UK trapped indefinitely.

That was the EU's final hope to holding the UK in, now they lost that. It was the killer blow.

You haven't a banana's what your talking about. No wonder you have a track record of wrong predictions relating to brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Teresa May was a doormat to the EU. An awful leader

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Teresa May was a doormat to the EU. An awful leader

At least Boris had the decency to stand by his stated preferred option of ending up dead in a ditch like he said he would....oh wait, actually what's that? He's still there???? :confused:

At least Boris had the decency to stand by his stated preferred option of ending up dead in a ditch like he said he would....oh wait, actually what's that? He's still there???? :confused:

He said he would rather be dead in a ditch than ask for an extension & he didnt ask for an extension.

He said he would rather be dead in a ditch than ask for an extension & he didnt ask for an extension.

Interesting.

Fake news media I guess

https://www.ft.com/content/d9ec648a-f2bc-11e9-b018-3ef8794b17c6

Or maybe he wrote it and didn't ask for it in person? Is that it? A bit like promising your missus you won't sleep with your hot new coworker and then when you get her pregnant, telling the missus "well I actually never went asleep with her"

• Advertisement

You haven't a banana's what your talking about. No wonder you have a track record of wrong predictions relating to brexit.

are you one of those 31st of October heads? If that is all you have you are pathetic

Interesting.

Fake news media I guess

Or maybe he wrote it and didn't ask for it in person? Is that it? A bit like promising your missus you won't sleep with your hot new coworker and then when you get her pregnant, telling the missus "well I actually never went asleep with her"

he sent a letter saying it is all a load of junk. They knew by then it was happening his way, be it weeks later. It was the wake up call to the EU.

Interesting.

Fake news media I guess

Dont you think the fact that we are in Jan 2020 and Brexit has not happened that it is quite obvoius that an extension letter was sent? The letter was a legal requirement forced by a corrupt parliament (who have been kicked to the kerb now).

Again, Boris did not ask for the extension. He did not sign the request.

Why are you giving citations from paywalled sources? Even from the headline I could read I know your source is biased as f**k. He did not send 3 letters askin for an extension. He sent one unsigned letter (protested by himself to the end) and two letters explaining why he didnt want an extension. What was the first thing he done when he got his majority? Ensured that no more extensions could happen. Based on all of that, do you still think he wanted an extension?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/19/eu-will-grant-brexit-extension-if-johnson-sends-letter-says-brussels

"The prime minister sent a total of three letters: an unsigned photocopy of the request he was obliged to send under the Benn Act, an explanatory letter from the UK’s ambassador to the EU and a personal letter explaining why Downing Street did not want an extension."

Dont you think the fact that we are in Jan 2020 and Brexit has not happened that it is quite obvoius that an extension letter was sent? The letter was a legal requirement forced by a corrupt parliament (who have been kicked to the kerb now).

Why are you giving citations from paywalled sources? Even from the headline I could read I know your source is biased as f**k. He did not send 3 letters askin for an extension. He sent one unsigned letter (protested by himself to the end) and two letters explaining why he didnt want an extension. What was the first thing he done when he got his majority? Ensured that no more extensions could happen. Based on all of that, do you still think he wanted an extension?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/19/eu-will-grant-brexit-extension-if-johnson-sends-letter-says-brussels

"The prime minister sent a total of three letters: an unsigned photocopy of the request he was obliged to send under the Benn Act, an explanatory letter from the UK’s ambassador to the EU and a personal letter explaining why Downing Street did not want an extension."

Waste of time explaining this to EU fanatics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

Waste of time explaining this to EU fanatics
    And you wonder why nobody takes you seriously.

SantaCruz wrote: »
    And you wonder why nobody takes you seriously.

Nobody or the brainwashed EU lovers?

He wasn't required to sign it.

He told the British public there would be no extension.

There was an extension.

HTH.

Nobody.

He wasn't required to sign it.

There was an extension.

HTH.

How is it playing out now, Tories doubling down

He tried everything to prevent it.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, I'm surprised that the UK politicians, including Boris, are such wimps and bitches then. Given that they wanted out on 31st Oct and the EU gave them an extension that they didn't ask for and the Brits just bent over and took it.

Doesn't bode well for the future then does it. Hardly the actions of a sovereign power. lol

You have an interesting view on the world. Much different from the average, conventionally "educated" person who thinks that Brexit is a stupid idea for the Brits.

I gather that you have decades of experience, no doubt living and working in powerful positions in different countries and cultures. Collecting your multiple houses spread all across these islands? Seeing things that the average person will never see in their lifetime. Witnessing how the power of the world really works behind the scenes.

Where were you educated? One of the Ivy leagues in the US maybe? Harvard or Yale? Across the water at Cambridge or Oxford? Maybe over in the Sarbonne
    It would be most helpful if you could inform all of us ignorami from whence you gathered your superior knowledge. Just so we can learn

You have an interesting view on the world. Much different from the average, conventionally "educated" person who thinks that Brexit is a stupid idea for the Brits.

I gather that you have decades of experience, no doubt living and working in powerful positions in different countries and cultures. Collecting your multiple houses spread all across these islands? Seeing things that the average person will never see in their lifetime. Witnessing how the power of the world really works behind the scenes.

Where were you educated? One of the Ivy leagues in the US maybe? Harvard or Yale? Across the water at Cambridge or Oxford? Maybe over in the Sarbonne
    It would be most helpful if you could inform all of us ignorami from whence you gathered your superior knowledge. Just so we can learn

Hey smart arse, I'm gonna call you out on your talk. Yes, i worked the former year's for the British military, worked the colonies including the infamous overseas tax havens in the Caribbean. Studied in the UK, great school, and was in UCL after that.
    I'm from a Irish family and have strong links in Ireland. Love Ireland but don't buy into the anti-British sentiment at all. The UK made a smart move an history will show it. I don't get all emotional and claim as we are on the other side of this battle for now that we are winning it or with some super power..we're not. EU getting toyed with and will be further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Hey smart arse, I'm gonna call you out on your talk. Yes, i worked the former year's for the British military, worked the colonies including the infamous overseas tax havens in the Caribbean. Studied in the UK, great school, and was in UCL after that.
    I'm from a Irish family and have strong links in Ireland. Love Ireland but don't buy into the anti-British sentiment at all. The UK made a smart move an history will show it. I don't get all emotional and claim as we are on the other side of this battle for now that we are winning it or with some super power..we're not. EU getting toyed with and will be further.

So, given all that...why are you so illiterate? Your spelling is shocking, let's face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

He tried everything to prevent it.

Not everything. If he was so against the extension he could have cancelled it the instant he won a majority, why didn't he?

EU getting toyed with and will be further.

Oh, of course, presumably the lackluster performance of the UK in the withdrawal agreement was merely to lul the EU into a false sence of security...

davedanon wrote: »
    So, given all that...why are you so illiterate? Your spelling is shocking, let's face it.

English isn't his first language. No problem with that of course.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Not everything. If he was so against the extension he could have cancelled it the instant he won a majority, why didn't he?

Firstly he couldnt cancel it, he got his majority after it was law. They were half way through the extension by that time, what would be the point? Secondly, one of the first things he done once he did get a majority was ensure that no more extensions could be made.

Your really clutching straws here but keep going its good fun.

Lets take it that are in the UK, I gather that the NHS still has free healthcare. (At least for now, the Yanks haven't taken it over yet and you probably still have enough "fordeners" to keep it running).
    I assume that their services include help for people with delusions? If I was someone with delusions, or knew someone who suffered from them, now might be a good time for that person to get some help, while it is still freely available. Just saying' ......

• Advertisement

Firstly he couldnt cancel it, he got his majority after it was law.

Guess what you can do when you have a majority in Parliament, change the law. There was really nothing to stop him cancelling the extension. The reason to cancle the extension is exactly the same reason not to have agreed the extension in the first place, whatever that was. Why go through with something you are against when there is nothing forcing you to do so?

The reason I make the point is it shows that it was all just empty posturing, given the choice to cancle the extension and drag the UK out of the EU at the earliest possible point, Mr Johnson chose not to do so despite all the bluster about no extensions. He further choose to tie the UK to EU rules for another year without the UK even having a say over those rules.

Expecting us to take Mr Johnson as some kind of Brexit hardman who will deliver on every brexiter wet dream is laughable. He talks a good game, but its all just empty words, he has folded at every opportunity thus far.

Brexiters seem to have a hard time destinguishing propoganda from reality. Take one example, the UK is due to start trade talks with the US before talks with the EU start, and brexiters lap it up as if it shows that Britain really can go its own way in terms of trade. In reality though it is just a stunt, it is devoid of substance. The fact that the EU trade deal is far more important to the UK and that the chances of getting a good deal with the US are slim have not changed one iota. Presumably the brexiter preference for propoganda is because it feels better to lap up the lies than actually look at the reality for what it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement