Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

SantaCruz wrote: »
    Yes, and British food is the best too.

*cough*

Compared to German?

British food, like Irish, can be as good or as bad as your budget and efforts allow

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Gosh. Wonder if he/she knows there are no longer any British colonies.
    There are British Territories.
    These are them:
    Anguilla
    Bermuda
    British Antarctic Territory
    British Indian Ocean Territory
    British Virgin Islands
    Cayman Islands
    Falkland Islands
    Gibraltar
    Montserrat
    Pitcairn Islands
    Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunhatwice?
    Saint Helena
    Ascension Island
    Tristan da Cunha
    South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
    Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia
    Turks and Caicos Islands.

I am intrigued as to what military service on which territory was performed.
    War in the Falklands?
    Attempt to capture mutineers from The Bounty on Pitcairn?
    Guarding Napoleon on St Helena?
    Shooting to kill on Gibraltar?

Protecting dodgy bank accounts in the Caymans?!?

lived and worked in the bold, even if somehow listed twice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I got a warning against being british

So did the rest of the world mate. Brexit wasn't it?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    So did the rest of the world mate. Brexit wasn't it?

being british is awesome, if you get the opportunity, take it with both hands

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

You've posted a lot of rubbish on this site. Kind of hard to beat that one for pure stupidity though.

• Advertisement

timetogo1 wrote: »
    You've posted a lot of rubbish on this site. Kind of hard to beat that one for pure stupidity though.

both hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

You have to wonder what you are doing stuck in this lousy country, which is stuck in the evil EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I wonder would he care to tell us where and when he served?

On his X Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Oi!!!! You ain't lived till you have had jellies eels, Greggs sausage rolls and a proper cup of tea :D

You mean a cup of Rosie Lee made by your Nan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

timetogo1 wrote: »

I was giving it serious consideration until the referendum result. It probably would have been a waste of money but it would have felt like me properly belonging here.

Now, though? Well over a grand for an inferior passport? No thanks.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

I was giving it serious consideration until the referendum result. It probably would have been a waste of money but it would have felt like me properly belonging here.

Inferior passport?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Aegir wrote: »
    Inferior passport?

It's not going to get me frictionless access to many countries after Brexit.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Inferior passport?

Different passports have different power, you can rank them based on the ease of travel/rights in host countries they afford you. Going to the US on an Irish passport is a very different prospect than going on a Brazallian passport.

Once they leave the EU the British passport will fall well down the table. Why do you think so many Brits are doing all they can to get their hands on an EU passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

It's well known that an Irish passport is, and always has been, pure gold. Everyone likes us, we have no shameful post-colonial history (quite the opposite, of course) to colour the views of the former colonials. A British passport is toxic by contrast, probably second only to the US.

And yeah, we're well into "Well if you like it so much, why don't you go and live there..." territory, with the dismal duo's baffling UK-philia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Is that all you consider inferior about Britain?
    Does it have any redeeming points in your opinion?

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Is that all you consider inferior about Britain?
    Does it have any redeeming points in your opinion?

I'm talking specifically about British passports and the opportunities that they soon won't be affording.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Cordell

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Instead of being in the queue with the Irish and French, they'll be in the queue with the Pakistanis and Africans.

That should be fine, current and ex crown subjects belong together.

I love the logic-inversion that allows for a post imputing racism to a cohort to be accused itself of racism.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Different passports have different power, you can rank them based on the ease of travel/rights in host countries they afford you. Going to the US on an Irish passport is a very different prospect than going on a Brazallian passport.

Once they leave the EU the British passport will fall well down the table. Why do you think so many Brits are doing all they can to get their hands on an EU passport?

and if you urgently need consular assistance in Bangalore or Hong Kong, would you rather rely on the Irish or British consular services?
    davedanon wrote: »
    It's well known that an Irish passport is, and always has been, pure gold. Everyone likes us, we have no shameful post-colonial history (quite the opposite, of course) to colour the views of the former colonials. A British passport is toxic by contrast, probably second only to the US.

only in the mind of a few deluded Irish people I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

I'm talking specifically about British passports and the opportunities that they soon won't be affording.

you do know the world is a tad bit bigger than europe, don't you?

Is this sort of snide comment all you have to say or do you have an argument to present?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and if you urgently need consular assistance in Bangalore or Hong Kong, would you rather rely on the Irish or British consular services?

As an Irish citizen i can use the consular services of any EU member in an emergency. The british have lost that ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

davedanon wrote: »

That really isn't the case you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That really isn't the case you know.

Probably an exaggeration to say everybody likes us but I have seen attitudes change when I tell people I am irish and not english. And change remarkably for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

You do know that the Irish passport is useful in a tad more than Europe already.

The Irish and UK passports currently have the same ranking (about 7th most powerful).
    Do you see the UK one improving on that status. Australia and India have already told the UK where to go.
    What improvements can you see happening for British passport holders?
    Obviously we're already aware of the negatives post Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Anyone holding an EU passport is entitled to help from any EU embassy/consulate in the event their own member state is unable to provide assistance.

The question therefore becomes "would you rather the option of help from a British consulate only, or your nearest available EU consulate?". I know which option I would prefer.

only in the mind of a few deluded Irish people I'm afraid.

https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php

The Irish passport is ranked higher right now, and it is a fact that if visas are needed for British people visiting EU countries, the British passport will fall quite a long way as that is factored in and it's a lot of countries.

As for consular services, you'd have to give some extra details on how severe that emergency is. After a decade in Asia, I've never heard of anyone needing any emergency services.

Every British person I know living in Vietnam is jealous when they hear about how the Irish system is set up. The British embassy can't even notarise things here anymore for some reason and now there's some nonsense about a lawyer in the UK having to see it etc., and if they want a new passport, it has to go through HK, and back to the UK, and then back again etc.

I paid $40 to have my documents stamped last summer. Two new English colleagues spend nearly a thousand pounds between them because some stuff had to be sent back. They have to book well in advance. I just wander into the Irish one.

I'm very happy with my Irish passport here. Saved a lot of time and effort compared to a British passport holder.

Is this sort of snide comment all you have to say or do you have an argument to present?

Snide? Hello mr pot, meet mr kettle :rolleyes:

I thought it was fairly obvious. the only difference is travel in europe, which would not have made any difference to you anyway, unless you were thinking about giving up your Irish citizenship and passport anyway.

Outside of europe, a British passport would be far more useful than an Irish one, if you need consular services.

• Advertisement

Snide? Hello mr pot, meet mr kettle :rolleyes:

I thought it was fairly obvious. the only difference is travel in europe, which would not have made any difference to you anyway, unless you were thinking about giving up your Irish citizenship and passport anyway.

Outside of europe, a British passport would be far more useful than an Irish one, if you need consular services.

Em... I can avail of any EU consulate which makes much more sense. The Brits can only avail of British consulates. As I said, the British passport is soon to be inferior. Blue and French-made, but inferior.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement