Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Aegir wrote: »
    Snide? Hello mr pot, meet mr kettle :rolleyes:

I thought it was fairly obvious. the only difference is travel in europe, which would not have made any difference to you anyway, unless you were thinking about giving up your Irish citizenship and passport anyway.

Outside of europe, a British passport would be far more useful than an Irish one, if you need consular services.

as I already explained this is not true. as an EU citizen i have a much wider availability of consular services than a british passport holder.

Does that sort of stuff end at the end of Jan or the end of 2020?

the sooner the better hopefully. good riddance to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

End of 2020, depending on the nature of the deal struck, if any.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Probably not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Em... I can avail of any EU consulate which makes much more sense. The Brits can only avail of British consulates. As I said, the British passport is soon to be inferior. Blue and French-made, but inferior.

If France can supply the new passports at a more competitive price its common sense to purchase from there and there's the added bonus it probably really annoys people like mark francois. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Probably an exaggeration to say everybody likes us but I have seen attitudes change when I tell people I am irish and not english. And change remarkably for the better.

Yes, that's what I meant. It's anecdotal, but it's a lifetime of anecdotal evidence that I'm sure many will back up. That, "oh, you're Irish", with a noticeable brightening of tone when they realise you're not a Brit.

Probably an exaggeration to say everybody likes us but I have seen attitudes change when I tell people I am irish and not english. And change remarkably for the better.

I tell you who does love the Irish and are strangely obsessed with them to the point of it being almost weird.
    The Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Anything that annoys the likes of Francois is never not a good thing.

davedanon wrote: »
    Yes, that's what I meant. It's anecdotal, but it's a lifetime of anecdotal evidence that I'm sure many will back up. That, "oh, you're Irish", with a noticeable brightening of tone when they realise you're not a Brit.

Because they think they have insulted you and are trying to make amends. It happens to me fairly regularly, often followed up by a story about how much they love their time in London or wherever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Because they think they have insulted you and are trying to make amends. It happens to me fairly regularly, often followed up by a story about how much they love their time in London or wherever.

Was this a dream you had?

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Was this a dream you had?

what a fantastically well composed and thought out response.

Bravo sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

I tell you who does love the Irish and are strangely obsessed with them to the point of it being almost weird.
    The Irish

It's a massive insecurity thing. I am sure UK media just deliberately refer to Irish people as british because they know the meltdowns that will happen and the increased traffic to the articles.

Surely John Cleese knew what he was doing the other day on twitter. Top trolling but it is a bit to easy.

They know the british gave the greatest gift of all to the planet........the modern world.

They know the british gave the greatest gift of all to the planet........the modern world.

in exchange for robbing all the natural resources they could get their hands on and leaving countries in poverty. how very benevolent of them. you must be very proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Snide? Hello mr pot, meet mr kettle :rolleyes:

I thought it was fairly obvious. the only difference is travel in europe, which would not have made any difference to you anyway, unless you were thinking about giving up your Irish citizenship and passport anyway.

Outside of europe, a British passport would be far more useful than an Irish one, if you need consular services.

And it isn't really travel in Europe because visa free travel will continue. It will be rights to live in other European countries indefinitely that will be harder but the British people voted for this.

Meanwhile in Europe we have farmers protesting that farming in Europe is increasingly unprofitable. Why? The combined forces of increasing regulation such as the prohibition of pesticides to protect insects, fertilizer and manure without any means of protecting the bottom line of farmers being offered.

There's been protests in Ireland, The Netherlands, Germany and France and possibly more countries. Another example of badly introduced legislation created at a huge distance from the people it actually affects on a day to day basis.

Federating policy decisions like this just seems to be an example of how the EU is over reaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

and if you urgently need consular assistance in Bangalore or Hong Kong, would you rather rely on the Irish or British consular services?
    How many Irish folks are banged up in Iran and elsewhere on spying charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SantaCruz

What bilge.

Seriously. Ahistorical bilge. Have you ever read a book?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

SantaCruz wrote: »
    How many Irish folks are banged up in Iran and elsewhere on spying charges?

When Mossad agents are travelling under Irish passports, you know you're doing something right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

LOL, everyone here bad mouthing the British are no doubt neck deep in British culture - soccer, TV, Movies, celebrity, consumables, food - everything. It is unbelievably hypocritical to slag them off, they are an amazing bunch of lads. Yes they have a troubled history but so do we what with our blind eye to child rape etc.

• Advertisement

LBC talking about the claimed brexit exodus has actually turned out to in an influx.

This is the start of it, Post Brexit Britain will boom.

LOL, everyone here bad mouthing the British are no doubt neck deep in British culture - soccer, TV, Movies, celebrity, consumables, food - everything. It is unbelievably hypocritical to slag them off, they are an amazing bunch of lads. Yes they have a troubled history but so do we what with our blind eye to child rape etc.

Who's bad mouthing the British? Can we not say a decision is monumentally stupid without you getting defensive.
    If you can argue against Brexit being a stupid decision go ahead.

We know some Irish people have done terrible things. We don't try to defend them by saying "ah but look what you did when ...". That's a bit childish isn't it.

Who's bad mouthing the British? Can we not say a decision is monumentally stupid without you getting defensive.
    If you can argue against Brexit being a stupid decision go ahead.

We know some Irish people have done terrible things. We don't try to defend them by saying "ah but look what you did when ...". That's a bit childish isn't it.

There is nothing stupid about Brexit. Project fear has been shown time and time again the hysterical cries of remainers that amount to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There is nothing stupid about Brexit. Project fear has been shown time and time again the hysterical cries of remainers that amount to nothing.

Ah you're back! Care to tell us why you cannot access NHS Services because I'm confused as to why you are such a special case that you are not allowed use the services.

Oh come on. How much has Brexit cost so far? How many jobs lost? Are you just trolling now or do you believe what you type?

Ah you're back! Care to tell us why you cannot access NHS Services because I'm confused as to why you are such a special case that you are not allowed use the services.

Wut?

Oh come on. How much has Brexit cost so far? How many jobs lost? Are you just trolling now or do you believe what you type?

The UK economy must be amazing do so much better then the major EU economies yet also suffering this so called brexit slump

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So what's the timeline for these talks then? A year seems optimistic to me there's an awful lot to work out, negotiations like this normally take several years.

Wut?

Your claim the you can't access the public health service because you have private health insurance. Been waiting a couple of weeks for evidence to back up your claim.

Here's your post just in case you forgot

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112129099&postcount=8812

Well I don't approve of any healthsystem that I pay from my taxes and still require to have a private health plan. The 7/8/9% of my taxes that goes to maintain a system I don't use should be refunded and I should be given the option to opt out of public health care if I am paying private.

If people want to stick with the public system it should be a choice. The system here is much worse thne the UK as we have to pay twice but are not allowed to use the public system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

LBC talking about the claimed brexit exodus has actually turned out to in an influx.

This is the start of it, Post Brexit Britain will boom.

Brexiteers vote for Brexit to throttle immigration.
    Brexiteers use rampant immigration to show that Brexit is working.

Yep, sounds about right for you Crypto.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement