Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

What are we expecting now? Can you fill me in on the latest?

By the way there were also specific prophecies about the aftermath of the referendum that never happened.

Forgive me if I'm a bit lethargic of these stories.

By the way there were also specific prophecies about the aftermath of the referendum that never happened.

Everything up until the date when all integration ends is pretty much just market sentiment..

Whatever deal the UK leaves with at the end of 2020 hasn't really been theorised, as it's unknown, except for a complete No Deal where it doesn't respect the Withdrawal Agreement.

Much of the conversation here now is talk of how it's going to play out between now and the end of 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Balanadan wrote: »
    They're sending MEPs to Europe to pocket our money while turning their backs and acting the bollocks.

The door is open, why are they taking so long to leave?

You can chill now, only a few more days to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Latest i know today is Javid has doubled down publically non-alighment and the EU have backed down again.

Brexit deal WILL be done in 2020 - EU capitulates on threat to take years to agree trade

An official negotiating document revealed the EU will be “flexible” around the idea of breaking up negotiations into a series of agreements. It will come as a welcome boost for the Prime Minister, who wants to secure a deal by December 2020. Michel Barnier’s team told EU officials and diplomats that the bloc is willing to conclude a basic trade agreement that can be upgraded in the future.

The bloc will prioritise “substance over form” after Mr Johnson ruled out extending the transition period, which keeps the UK inside the EU’s single market and customs union.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Latest i know today is Javid has doubled down publically non-alighment and the EU have backed down again.

Brexit deal WILL be done in 2020 - EU capitulates on threat to take years to agree trade

An official negotiating document revealed the EU will be “flexible” around the idea of breaking up negotiations into a series of agreements. It will come as a welcome boost for the Prime Minister, who wants to secure a deal by December 2020. Michel Barnier’s team told EU officials and diplomats that the bloc is willing to conclude a basic trade agreement that can be upgraded in the future.

The bloc will prioritise “substance over form” after Mr Johnson ruled out extending the transition period, which keeps the UK inside the EU’s single market and customs union.

What do you mean by backing down? On the previous page of this thread you said the EU were begging the UK not to leave (which is a lie btw) now the EU are trying to help the UK conclude this all in one year and you say they are backing down yet again??? Your posts don't make any sense.

The EU never "threatened that it would take years" thats just how long these things generally take. Do you have any idea of what has to happen this year in order for the UK to actually leave? Its nearly 50 years since they had to negotiate anything even remotely like this. Its not a threat its just how long this stuff generally takes.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    What do you mean by backing down? On the previous page of this thread you said the EU were begging the UK not to leave (which is a lie btw) now the EU are trying to help the UK conclude this all in one year and you say they are backing down yet again??? Your posts don't make any sense.

They have begged, it is not a lie, they have begged in quite a humiliating way.

Now with the talk from Boris, Javid and others along with some great speechs by the likes of Trump, they know they are getting called out for the paper tiger they are and getting thinly veiled politcal language along the lines of "back in your box lads, before yout start giving people the hump"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Now with the talk from Boris, Javid and others along with some great speechs by the likes of Trump, they know they are getting called out for the paper tiger they are and getting thinly veiled politcal language along the lines of "back in your box lads, before yout start giving people the hump"

Humiliation? Shouldn't Johnson be dead in a ditch by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

This is gold. Just comedy gold. Olympian self-delusion. I salute you, sir.

Humiliation? Shouldn't Johnson be dead in a ditch by now?

Are you one of the orginal 31st of October crew or a new one? I get mixed up.

There is a little clique here who reverts to that date eveytime another thing isn't going their way. You can imagine how many times is is getting mentioned now. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They've agreed to effectively carve up their own country. That people genuinely see this as a win is disconcerting.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

They've agreed to effectively carve up their own country. That people genuinely see this as a win is disconcerting.

Scotland and Wales are going nowhere. There is a bit that costs about £13 billion a year to keep the lights on but it is hard to shake off...like they have practically offered it on a plate at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The only people I remember banging on about 31st October were you and kidc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

There is a little clique here who reverts to that date eveytime another thing isn't going their way. You can imagine how many times is is getting mentioned now. ;)

Yeah whatever. Incidentally, did you read the Express article you quoted in its entirety? Of course you didn't. Read it properly. You will see who has the upper hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im gonna need video or news articles with EU politicians begging so. Surely you must have seen some. They merely pointed out that negotiating a trade deal of this magnitude may take more than a year. Seems reasonable enough.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Im gonna need video or news articles with EU politicians begging so. Surely you must have seen some. They merely pointed out that negotiating a trade deal of this magnitude may take more than a year. Seems reasonable enough.

You would want to make sure it isn't a badly edited attempt at a hack job like the last video provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

No. I think the British people have decided they want a looser relationship with the EU and I respect that as a legitimate option. It has been conclusively settled democratically at this stage. I respect the vote of the people.

Yes, Britain's relationship with Europe rather than their place in it. Its an option alright - a bit too 19th century for my taste but there ya go.

I spend a fair bit of time in various parts of Europe (EU and non). I don't know anywhere else outside of the blighted Balkans that feels close relations with others is a weakness. Some see it as the UK's superiority complex; I think it is the opposite.

The people would vote for free beer on Sundays if asked. Voting for something is not a plan; just a wish.

davedanon wrote: »
    The only people I remember banging on about 31st October were you and kidc.

Yep I got that one wrong thanks to a corrupt parliament (who were kicked to the kerb by the electorate). 31st of Jan though, that one is happening guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

This argument has been repeated several times on this forum and it is false. Boris didn't simply revert to a previous plan. He got democratic consent for Northern Ireland inserted into the agreement. That wasn't on the table before. It was also the fundamental problem with the backstop to begin with.

I said "very close".

My memory was the problem (for Eurosceptic Conservatives) was the UK govt. could not unilaterally end the whole-UK "backstop" (so they were looking for time limits or arbitration mechanisms etc. - not local politicians having a say). They saw it as a trap that would keep the UK in close alignment with the EU after exit.

The UK govt. will still depend on the NI assembly to end these arrangements. Given the make-up of the electorate + D'Hondt setup of power in the assembly it is unlikely at the moment.

I suppose the UK could "tweak" the local government in NI to effectively force an end to any special arrangements, or it can try & ignore what it has signed up to or attempt to make it unworkable. These courses would seem to be a bit reckless and dangerous, but with the UK nowadays you never know.

Its a win because it will carve up the EU as a result. As mentioned, the UK is safe, noone will leave it. The EU on the other hand is over. Theres too much to gain from leaving as the UK is about to demonstrate. Others will follow...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Its a win because it will carve up the EU as a result. As mentioned, the UK is safe, noone will leave it. The EU on the other hand is over. Theres too much to gain from leaving as the UK is about to demonstrate. Others will follow...

Sources please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

The quality of some of the posts here is quite low. Your post contradicts what we can currently see happening in the EU and UK but you (and one or two others) post wishful thinking as if it was fact.

The Welsh Assembly, NI Assembly and Holyrood have voted against the WA. That is not and indication of a cohesive UK. Scotland is looking for its independence referendum and the Westminster Parliament seems to just want to antagonise the Scots to push more people to the independence side.

"There is too much to gain by leaving the EU" . Great that you said this. Please list the gains here now (you won't).
    Are you aware of the costs so far. Forget about the future for the moment, you are aware of the billions Brexit has cost so far and the 1000s of jobs lost etc.

Since Brexit, the idiots wanting to leave the EU in other countries have gone quiet. There are still some, there always will be, we even have some people in Ireland. But every country is looking at the UK and saying "**** that, what a mess". And the EU has been pretty united when dealing with Brexit. It will split a bit during the trade deal as each country wants to get their own concessions from the UK, you probably think this is a benefit.

Yes if Brexit is a success then other countries would follow. All indications are to the contrary and simply posting "its a win" is not really going to convince anybody except maybe Crypto.

Sources please.

Its my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Its my opinion

You know what people say about opinions?

Whitehall’s EU Exit Operations committee – dubbed XO and chaired by Michael Gove – met on Thursday to begin preparations for a ‘disorderly December’, should Brussels ‘fail to grasp we really are going at the end of the year’, said a Cabinet Minister who was present. Our revelation comes after Dominic Cummings warned that Brussels has not yet ‘woken up’ to Britain’s negotiating position – and would not for several weeks yet. The top No 10 aide told Government advisers at a meeting on Friday evening: ‘We are not bluffing on the no extension.’ The UK Government has insisted that the EU transition phase will end on December 31, but last week Ireland’s EU Commissioner Phil Hogan said that time frame was impossible. Fears are mounting that Brussels’s intransigence and insistence on a settlement of fishing access rights before proper trade talks begin will push the negotiations to collapse.

Boris Johnson has revealed his bold new vision for Brexit Britain, with plans for trade deals around the world by the end of the year. The decision to press ahead with trade talks with the US, Japan, Australia and New Zealand underlines the Prime Minister’s vision for a Global Britain. But the move to access international markets worth almost £50trillion is a slap in the face for the EU – which wanted talks to be solely focused on Brussels. With Chancellor Sajid Javid confirming the UK will not agree to demands that Britain aligns with EU regulations, the prospect of a trade deal with the US will put pressure on Brussels to compromise. The major reshaping of British foreign policy also includes efforts to boost trade with Africa. On the post Brexit trade talks, a Downing Street source said: “Downing Street will begin trade deal talks with the USA at the same time as negotiations get underway with the EU. “The Prime Minister has tasked trade negotiators at the Department for International Trade to start discussions with countries including Japan, New Zealand and Australia, alongside the USA.” It is also understood the Prime Minister will be making a set-piece speech in early February to set out his plans for life after Brexit in the UK.

WITH JOHNSON SET TO USE TRUMP TO WIN EU CONCESSIONS… Boris Johnson and his ministers have agreed a hardline stance on Brexit that will see them play Donald Trump off against EU leaders. The prime minister has approved plans to go “hell for leather” for a trade deal with America, in an attempt to get leverage in talks with the EU. The decision comes as Johnson tries to inject urgency into trade negotiations. A unit of 70 civil servants has been set up in Whitehall to lead the US trade talks, under the command of Oliver Griffiths, who leads the Americas unit at the Department for International Trade. They are finalising demands while David Frost, the chief Brexit negotiator, is overseeing preparations for the EU negotiations. – Sunday Times

PM ON COLLISION COURSE WITH BIG BUSINESS GROUPS AS AIDES PLAN TO DITCH TWO-YEAR HIATUS BEFORE NEW IMMIGRATION RULES… Boris Johnson is preparing to impose new restrictions on low-skilled migrants moving to Britain on the first day after the Brexit transition period ends in December, the Telegraph can disclose. Under radical new plans being drawn up by the Prime Minister’s aides, the Government would effectively bring forward its post-Brexit immigration shake-up by two years – removing a temporary extension of the current rules until 2023, that had been demanded by business groups and promised by Theresa May. The proposals are expected to be presented to the Cabinet this week by Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, as part of a paper on the UK’s future immigration system. A No 10 source confirmed: “We need to deliver change and businesses need to be prepared for uncontrolled migration of low skilled workers to end this year.” The move will put Mr Johnson and Ms Patel on a collision course with business groups such as the Confederation of British Industry, which has insisted that firms will need “at least two years to adapt to any new immigration system.”

WHILE SAJID JAVID’S COMMENTS ON NON-ALIGNMENT WITH THE EU PROMPT CBI CLAIMS OF PRICE RISES Businesses have predicted price rises after the UK chancellor, Sajid Javid, said there would be no alignment with EU regulations once Britain’s exit from the European Union was made official. In what is being seen as an opening salvo in the next stage of negotiations, Javid said the Treasury would not lend support to manufacturers that favour EU rules as the sector had had three years to prepare for Britain’s transition. The Confederation of British Industry (CBI) on Saturday said alignment supported jobs and competitiveness for many firms. The group’s director general, Carolyn Fairbairn, said business “recognises there are areas where the UK can benefit from its future right to diverge from EU regulation” but urged government “not to treat this right as an obligation to diverge”. “For some firms, divergence brings value, but for many others, alignment supports jobs and competitiveness – particularly in some of the most deprived regions of the UK,” she said. The co-executive director of the British Chamber of Commerce, Claire Walker, said that while business communities were prepared to be pragmatic about coming changes to regulation, “uncertainty around the extent of divergence risks firms moving their production elsewhere”.

2020 will be a great year on this thread. We will see the real trajectory unfold in just over the next 11 months. It will be brilliant to watch the EU fanatics spin this and try to make the tiny little things like the did over the 31st of October date be their only response as all their illusions on this paper tiger block crumble all around them.

2020 will be a year for the history books.

2020 will be a great year on this thread. We will see the real trajectory unfold in just over the next 11 months. It will be brilliant to watch the EU fanatics spin this and try to make the tiny little things like the did over the 31st of October date be their only response as all their illusions on this paper tiger block crumble all around them.

2020 will be a year for the history books.

Just link it. It's easier to read.

https://brexitcentral.com/today/brexit-news-for-sunday-19-january/

Are you trying to link the collection of actual quotations put together by a blogging site in hope that it will discredit the whole thing and therefore these quotes don't exsist.

I've a mate like you, was grand and then did social science degree in Dublin where he was so pumped for of marxist nonsense he is now basically nuts.
    Send him a link to a news story, even if full of quotes, recordings and facts and all you get is effectively "Telegraph, lol, fake news" as a response.

Are you trying to link the collection of actual quotations put together by a blogging site in hope that it will discredit the whole thing and therefore these quotes don't exsist.

I've a mate like you, was grand and then did social science degree in Dublin where he was so pumped for of marxist nonsense he is now basically nuts.
    Send him a link to a news story, even if full of quotes, recordings and facts and all you get is effectively "Telegraph, lol, fake news" as a response.

The quotes exist, and the blog has the sources, and the sources have paragraphs. I've no idea why the blog removed them, but it makes it especially difficult to read in italics on this website when copied and pasted.

Your friend sounds nothing like me. While you are a genuine caricature of people who post comments on the Express website, we are not caricatures of whatever "Marxist femboy" nonsense you have in your head when you're talking to us.

The quotes exist, and the blog has the sources, and the sources have paragraphs. I've no idea why the blog removed them, but it makes it especially difficult to read in italics on this website when copied and pasted.

Your friend sounds nothing like me. While you are a genuine caricature of people who post comments on the Express website, we are not caricatures of whatever "Marxist femboy" nonsense you have in your head when you're talking to us.

Sure your not buddy.

2020 will be an interesting year, lets home a new government can repair the damage all the silly boy talk FG did and the remainers here quietly eat their humble pie. We won't rub peoples nose in it, we just want to get on with the new world.

Sure your not buddy.

2020 will be an interesting year, lets home a new government can repair the damage all the silly boy talk FG did and the remainers here quietly eat their humble pie. We won't rub peoples nose in it, we just want to get on with the new world.

You expect people on here to eat humble pie as "this paper tiger block crumble".. Do you mean that the EU negotiating team will just fold or what?

• Advertisement

You expect people on here to eat humble pie as "this paper tiger block crumble".. Do you mean that the EU negotiating team will just fold or what?

It's politics, people have to save face and they all agree words.

Not sure how they will spin non membership of the SM, CU, European Court of Justice and the end of freedom of movement as both sides reaching an agreement but they will try and the posters here will try to sell it as a EU win...most likely by mentioning the 31st of October date....alot. Bless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement