Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

It's politics, people have to save face and they all agree words.

Not sure how they will spin non membership of the SM, CU, European Court of Justice and the end of freedom of movement as both sides reaching an agreement but they will try and the posters here will try to sell it as a EU win...most likely by mentioning the 31st of October date....alot. Bless.

Calm down a little bit. Only a couple of posts ago, you said you wouldn't rub people's noses in it, but now you just keep talking about other posters.

How do you foresee the "paper tiger block crumbling"? Please give some detail as to what you think will happen by the end of the year.

It's politics, people have to save face and they all agree words.

Not sure how they will spin non membership of the SM, CU, European Court of Justice and the end of freedom of movement as both sides reaching an agreement but they will try and the posters here will try to sell it as a EU win...most likely by mentioning the 31st of October date....alot. Bless.

Apart from the the 31st of October, some of us are still waiting for you to provide evidence supporting your claim that you can't access the public health service because you have private health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Apart from the the 31st of October, some of us are still waiting for you to provide evidence supporting your claim that you can't access the public health service because you have private health insurance.

I get charged at A&E and the GP, there is no free universal health care unless you have a medical card and meet the financial criteria.

Can you compare the Irish system to the others in western europe?

How do you foresee the "paper tiger block crumbling"? Please give some detail as to what you think will happen by the end of the year.

Thanks in advance.

I get charged at A&E and the GP, there is no free universal health care unless you have a medical card and meet the financial criteria.

That's not what you said

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112129099&postcount=8812
    Well I don't approve of any healthsystem that I pay from my taxes and still require to have a private health plan. The 7/8/9% of my taxes that goes to maintain a system I don't use should be refunded and I should be given the option to opt out of public health care if I am paying private.

If people want to stick with the public system it should be a choice. The system here is much worse thne the UK as we have to pay twice but are not allowed to use the public system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

timetogo1 wrote: »
    "There is too much to gain by leaving the EU" . Great that you said this. Please list the gains here now (you won't).

What post number are you refering to here? Could you quote it properly... Looks to me like you typed that yourself and threw quotes around it and dishonestly tried to attribute it to me...

timetogo1 wrote: »
    You know what people say about opinions?

"That they are just that, opinions..." Is that what you mean? What about it, whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

What post number are you refering to here? Could you quote it properly... Looks to me like you typed that yourself and threw quotes around it and dishonestly tried to attribute it to me...
    Your post 9680, quoted verbatim in timetogo1's post 9682.

FYP, with emphasis my own:
    Its a win because it will carve up the EU as a result. As mentioned, the UK is safe, noone will leave it. The EU on the other hand is over. Theres too much to gain from leaving as the UK is about to demonstrate. Others will follow...
    Dishonest attribution, you said? :pac:

Now, any advance on these "gains" yet? Some of us are waiting (still, after 4 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

ambro25 wrote: »
    Your post 9680, quoted verbatim in timetogo1's post:
    Dishonest attribution, you said?

Why bother?

These lads haven't a leg to stand on. Brexit hasn't even begun and we're already knee deep in food and medicine hoarding.
    Brexit day is fast approaching and the lads in Parliament are still tit for tat squabbling amongst themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

The quoted text is literally in the post that you copied the text above from.

Here's the link to your post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112319930&postcount=9680

It's a bit bad when you don't even agree with yourself but such seems to be the level of debate with Brexiters.

So now that we've determined what you typed maybe you could tell us by what you meant when you say there is much to be gained by leaving the EU. I'll make it easy, just give two real examples.

I won't hold my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

2020 will be a great year on this thread. We will see the real trajectory unfold in just over the next 11 months. It will be brilliant to watch the EU fanatics spin this and try to make the tiny little things like the did over the 31st of October date be their only response as all their illusions on this paper tiger block crumble all around them.

2020 will be a year for the history books.

You don't think it will be ironic that more than 4 years after your great "independence vote" that you could still be posting on a thread entitled "Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit?" :pac:

Do you think you will still be posting on it in 2021 too?

Given that you were so certain you wouldn't be posting on it after Oct 31st last. You were probably equally as certain of the glorious departure last March as well, but the thread wasn't in existence then

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Your position really reminds me of the UK Daily Telegraph. You have one article about how to avoid taxes (like inherence tax but others as well) then the next article about how the social care system is in crisis and the government really needs to sort it out.

Apparently not paying taxes and having great public services are possible in their / your world.

I asked what quote it was, not that I disagreed with it... i have stated many times what the gains of Brexit are. Most notably, independence for the UK and the breakup of the EU for the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I asked what quote it was, not that I disagreed with it... i have stated many times what the gains of Brexit are. Most notably, independence for the UK and the breakup of the EU for the rest of us

Well that's my mind completely changed. Irrefutable logic supported by myriad facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

So, the 'gains of Brexit' are: a situation which almost every expert voice believes will be bad economic news all around, and a delusional belief in something that just isn't going to happen.

Unless you have proof, or at least a credible argument, to support your theory that the EU, the largest, most successful trading bloc IN THE WORLD, is on the brink of collapse, then I'm calling 100% BULLSHÍT on your post.

Is that really all you've got? You're making a laughing stock of yourself, pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

davedanon wrote:
    Is that really all you've got? You're making a laughing stock of yourself, pal.

He has been doing that for a long time and I wouldn't dream of getting in his way.

I'm just curious to see how deep a hole he digs and what he does to try to get out of it when the sh*t hits the fan and reality finally dawns.

First Up wrote: »
    He has been doing that for a long time and I wouldn't dream of getting in his way.

I'm just curious to see how deep a hole he digs and what he does to try to get out of it when the sh*t hits the fan and reality finally dawns.

LOL

On the UK economy....

Continued growth expected over the next few years...

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/forecast

https://www.cbi.org.uk/media-centre/articles/imperative-to-protect-uk-growth-beyond-brexit-cbi-economic-forecast/

"According to the CBI’s latest economic forecast, GDP growth for over the next two years is set to remain modest at 1.3% in 2019 and 1.2% in 2020. For 2021, the CBI forecasts a somewhat brighter outlook, with growth picking up to 1.8%."

US to accelerate talks on a trade deal with the UK (Trump):

"'We look forward to negotiating a tremendous new deal with the United Kingdom, who have a wonderful new Prime Minister, who very much wants to make a deal.'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezAZEzLMp44

Yeah, things are going terribly for the UK :rolleyes:

davedanon wrote: »
    Unless you have proof, or at least a credible argument, to support your theory that the EU, the largest, most successful trading bloc IN THE WORLD, is on the brink of collapse, then I'm calling 100% BULLSHÍT on your post.

Firstly, I never said it was "on the brink" of collapse. I said it is going to collapse "in some form or another".

Secondly, what more proof do you want other than the fact that one of their biggest members is about to leave? If thats not a sign of trouble for the EU then I dont know what is.

FWIW, I think the EU will retreat back to its EEC capacity over the next 15 years or so. It is already losing its grip on power.

Well that's my mind completely changed. Irrefutable logic supported by myriad facts.

There have been arguments made by myself over the last few months, take the time to read them instead of asking your fellow posters to repeat themselves.

LOL

On the UK economy....

Continued growth expected over the next few years...

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/forecast

https://www.cbi.org.uk/media-centre/articles/imperative-to-protect-uk-growth-beyond-brexit-cbi-economic-forecast/

"According to the CBI’s latest economic forecast, GDP growth for over the next two years is set to remain modest at 1.3% in 2019 and 1.2% in 2020. For 2021, the CBI forecasts a somewhat brighter outlook, with growth picking up to 1.8%."

US to accelerate talks on a trade deal with the UK (Trump):

"'We look forward to negotiating a tremendous new deal with the United Kingdom, who have a wonderful new Prime Minister, who very much wants to make a deal.'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezAZEzLMp44

Yeah, things are going terribly for the UK :rolleyes:

You must have missed the rest of the CBI's forecast. Allow me:

These forecasts were based on the assumption that the UK leaves the EU by 31 January 2020 and “has clear line of sight to an ambitious trade deal, involving alignment with EU rules where essential for frictionless trade”.

Oh dear...

• Advertisement

There have been arguments made by myself over the last few months, take the time to read them instead of asking your fellow posters to repeat themselves.

Based on your recent posts, I'll pass thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Tom Newton Dunne on twitter
    Lords agree to wave through the re-unamended WAB, with no further rounds of ping pong. So that's it: after three of the most bitter years in British political memory, a Brexit deal has finally cleared Parliament.

The Withdrawal Agreement still needs formal ratification by the European Parliament, in a vote set for next Wednesday, but that's now seen as a formality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Tom Newton Dunne on twitter
    Lords agree to wave through the re-unamended WAB, with no further rounds of ping pong. So that's it: after three of the most bitter years in British political memory, a Brexit deal has finally cleared Parliament.

The Withdrawal Agreement still needs formal ratification by the European Parliament, in a vote set for next Wednesday, but that's now seen as a formality.

Good news - time to move forward and negotiate trading matters.

I'm yet to have any major regrets over voting for the Conservatives in the election.

Based on your recent posts, I'll pass thanks.

Well you dont get to argue about posts you couldnt be bothered reading

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Good news - time to move forward and negotiate trading matters.

I'm yet to have any major regrets over voting for the Conservatives in the election.
    On these isles there is a huge Brexit fatigue. Other EU countries lost interest a long time ago. There's a feeling of just let the negotiators get on with it and quit the political melodrama.

The usual domestic agenda is returning to the fore, health, housing, crime, better quality of job/pay, in other words the bread and butter stuff. I also think that the political sting needs to be taken out of the next phase of Brexit. Each country will want it's interests put forward and there will be horse trading.

The UK has a very direct interest in making a success of Brexit, otherwise the chances of the union breaking up increase. I do think it'll take the guts of a decade to conclude the negotiations, simply because there is so much detail to be worked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

' wrote: »
    Firstly, I never said it was "on the brink" of collapse. I said it is going to collapse "in some form or another".

Secondly, what more proof do you want other than the fact that one of their biggest members is about to leave? If thats not a sign of trouble for the EU then I dont know what is.

FWIW, I think the EU will retreat back to its EEC capacity over the next 15 years or so. It is already losing its grip on power.

Ha! Love the backtracking. You said that 'we' can look forward to the EU collapsing. Forgive me if I inferred imminence there.

"Secondly, what more proof do you want other than the fact that one of their biggest members is about to leave?"

Took me a moment to realise that you meant Brexit. I love this 'logic'. "We're leaving the club, because you're obviously doomed....because we're leaving."

"FWIW, I think the EU will retreat back to its EEC capacity over the next 15 years or so. It is already losing its grip on power."

This is kiddie-school stuff. Honestly. You should be ashamed of yourself.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1224007/brexit-news-house-of-lords-boris-johnson-eu-deal-parliament-vote-latest-eu

"Brexit-bashing Lords finally GIVE UP plotting to sabotage UK's exit as they admit defeat"

It was pretty pathetic attempt anyway from the non elected Lords. Really showing how "dinosaur-esqe" they are

How is the forum holding up after Trump today at Davos, Javid doubling down yet again and the whining moans of a sucked Merkel.

I have no doubt just like the former Iraqi information minister they are saying all is good in the world.

How is the forum holding up after Trump today at Davos, Javid doubling down yet again and the whining moans of a sucked Merkel.

I have no doubt just like the former Iraqi information minister they are saying all is good in the world.

Yeah it's all good. In Davos yesterday, the US threatened the UK with 25% tariffs on cars. Best trade deal ever coming right up. Bigly.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's all good. In Davos yesterday, the US threatened the UK with 25% tariffs on cars. Best trade deal ever coming right up. Bigly.

Trump threatened UK with 25% car tariffs unless it agreed to accuse Iran of breaking nuclear deal, hey, that was easy for the UK. "Iran, you broke the deal".

Today, Trump threatened the EU with 25% car tariffs and 25% on a host of other goods unless they get the trade deficit gone. Yep, that means US agri products for cars.

I would be much more worried about the EU/US negotiations. UK has no issue doing a deal with the US.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement