Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Why would the EU give in to the UK over brexit?If they did that would potentially open the flood gates as other countries would do the same which would probably bring the EU down- it's not going to happen...

You're probably right but it would be stupid no to try for a deal. If they weren't still negotiating they wouldn't be posturing and mucky waving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Exactly. It's a United Kingdom due to a monarchy. The queen of England and in a United Kingdom vote the majority view of the population of England will always defeat the wants and needs of the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish.

How is that democratic?

All of whom can leave any time they want
    dogbert27 wrote: »
    Exactly. It's a United Kingdom due to a monarchy. The queen of England and in a United Kingdom vote the majority view of the population of England will always defeat the wants and needs of the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish.

How is that democratic?

The brits are not very good at leaving anything

I got on great over there and have great memories of my time over there, I was well able for their little racest comments, I'd say ur the type of person that would let those comments slide

The English, like the Irish like to slag each other off. I give as good as I get and it’s all light hearted. I get Father ted gags thrown at me sometimes and I slag them just as much.

The rare (single) occasion when I had an English person call me a Mick I told him that my names not Mick while looking him in the eyes and he got the message and has been quiet ever since.

On the other side I’ve had English people out of the blue apologise to me on behalf of their country for the horrible way they treated us historically.

I lived in Northside Dublin for 30 years before moving here, and in any given year of my teenage and adult life I would have had a lot more anti social hassle from people in Dublin than I’ve had since I moved here.

When I started in my new Job here the only person who looked down on me and treated me like dirt was a guy From Cork. I’m now in a leadership role in my department in an engineering role. I’d never had made it this far in Ireland being a Dub without a degree from a sink estate on the Northside (believe me I tried).

By the way, I know exactly who I am. I’m an Irishman and a Dub and proud of it, I love to talk about the positives of my country and culture to the people of the world that I meet. Being an Irishman doesn’t mean being anti English.

Of course there are racists amongst the English, you can see their nasty comments on articles by the daily express, or daily mail online. In fact your comments here remind me of that same small mindedness that’s exhibited by a minority of knuckle draggers over here. If you were English with your attitude, you’d be a rabid brexiteer calling for a hard border.

Anyway I’ll let you get back to your weekend, you probably have an Éirígí rally to attend.
    No I haven't, I'm watching the rugby brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

You're probably right but it would be stupid no to try for a deal. If they weren't still negotiating they wouldn't be posturing and mucky waving

They are negotiating with themselves. Nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The UK does not know what it wants. Remember, the extensions are at the request of the UK. What negotiations are happening are happening inside the UK only. Anything that happens last minute will happen in London.

The EU has already tried for a deal, it is even signed but the problems exist in and within the UK. From the point of view of the EU there is nothing to negotiate.

For the record, the UK has seriously screwed up here. Your choice is malice or incompetence but the sequence of negotiations and what the withdrawal agreement was for should have been front and centre of discussions before the referendum. Instead senior UK politicians still don’t know the difference between the withdrawal agreement and future trade agreements.

The only thing I see the UK coming up with at the last minute is revocation of their article 50 notice. If it was a no deal that their politicians could afford, they would be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

They are currently the best people on Earth at leaving the EU, although they have not left yet, they are miles ahead of everyone else.

They are currently the best people on Earth at leaving the EU, although they have not left yet, they are miles ahead of everyone else.

They have the queue all to themselves and still can't get to the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Calina wrote: »

The UK does not know what it wants. Remember, the extensions are at the request of the UK. What negotiations are happening are happening inside the UK only. Anything that happens last minute will happen in London.

The EU has already tried for a deal, it is even signed but the problems exist in and within the UK. From the point of view of the EU there is nothing to negotiate.

For the record, the UK has seriously screwed up here. Your choice is malice or incompetence but the sequence of negotiations and what the withdrawal agreement was for should have been front and centre of discussions before the referendum. Instead senior UK politicians still don’t know the difference between the withdrawal agreement and future trade agreements.

The only thing I see the UK coming up with at the last minute is revocation of their article 50 notice. If it was a no deal that their politicians could afford, they would be gone.
    I would love to see Johnson shown up as the wind bag he is and Britain to revoke art 50 and hope the EU,especially Ireland would forgive us but it would probably take a long time and would only happen if the UK changed its political system-all brexit has shown is how much the privileged elite control everything imo

I would love to see Johnson shown up as the wind bag he is and Britain to revoke art 50 and hope the EU,especially Ireland would forgive us but it would probably take a long time and would only happen if the UK changed its political system-all brexit has shown is how much the privileged elite control everything imo

What? 30 million+ common people had their say? The elite are only following the orders of their people!

The privileged elite empowered the lumpen proletariat to make a decision they were ill-equipped to make.

They abdicated control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

First Up wrote: »
    The privileged elite empowered the lumpen proletariat to make a decision they were ill-equipped to make.

They abdicated control.

really_makes_you_think_emoji.jpg

sooooo, people shouldn't have a say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Only for the fact a no deal will prolly fcuk us over, I couldn't care whether the brits sink or swim.

Once the crash out without a deal, they will be grabbing their ankles for the US. Unless I'm wrong the brits won't be in a position of power to negotiate trade terms with other countries.

Whatever happens, I hope Ireland doesn't get fcuked over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

First Up wrote: »

They abdicated control.

I’m no fan of Brexit but I don’t think those phrases mean what you think they mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

how would we be fcuked over? sure wont the EU look after us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

how would we be fcuked over? sure wont the EU look after us?

The EU doesn't have a magic wand, or do you know something I don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just to say, and to me it is sensible, but the lack of kicking off and bluster from ROI and NI so far may have knocked out the Westminster punch.

I think they were thinking, ok they will go ballistic, SF will kick off, so we can give them hell and blame it all on them.

But that hasn't happened. So great, let them try to figure it out for themselves.

The only ones posturing are the DUP. And Johnson knows that as long as they are there running the Tory show in the Tory Party Government, (C+S) there is not much he can do at the moment.

Happy to be refuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

gmisk wrote: »
    All that delicious US chlorinated chicken flooding the market....yum..

You know those lovely prepacked salads and prepared spinach etc ?? Washed in chlorine. Your drinking water ? Chlorine ? Your clothing ?? Chlorine.

Washing food in chlorine isn't unique to US. The argument is that producers reduce hygiene and safety standards when they know the chlorine wash is there as a backup.

Most of the Chicken in Ireland probably comes from Thailand..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Scotland Wales and NI cannot leave whenever they want.
    They need permission from the UK PM to hold a referendum to leave.
    One could easily wonder why the UK are the only ones who made the decision to jump and as things currently stand seem to be the only ones to do it in the short to medium term!
    However one could also question their ability at the process given they triggered Art 50 without an iota of a plan and over two years later still cannot agree amongst themselves on what they exactly want!

really_makes_you_think_emoji.jpg

sooooo, people shouldn't have a say?

Do you understand how representative democracy is supposed to work?

knipex wrote: »

If it meets EU standards it doesn't matter where its from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

knipex wrote: »
    Yeah... That's nonsense...

Yep they really are trail blazers many will follow them

At this late stage in the game, even if UK decided to revoke and start again they will once again (via their hysterical media) continue to be mavericks.

I think that calling their bluff and letting them go and to heck with it is probably the best move now.

They would never think that might happen because they are so powerful. Honestly.

Hotel California for them I think no matter what they do. They will have to negotiate a UK/EU Trade deal asap.

So far they have one ratified with the Faroe Islands. Maybe others, sorry I don't know.

I think they really know where this is going, but the hubris won't allow a climb down.

What? 30 million+ common people had their say? The elite are only following the orders of their people!
    Wrong way round

Only for the fact a no deal will prolly fcuk us over, I couldn't care whether the brits sink or swim.

Once the crash out without a deal, they will be grabbing their ankles for the US. Unless I'm wrong the brits won't be in a position of power to negotiate trade terms with other countries.

Agree

Which would be given if there was support for it ergo they can leave whenever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

At this late stage in the game, even if UK decided to revoke and start again they will once again (via their hysterical media) continue to be mavericks.

I think that calling their bluff and letting them go and to heck with it is probably the best move now.

They would never think that might happen because they are so powerful. Honestly.

Hotel California for them I think no matter what they do. They will have to negotiate a UK/EU Trade deal asap.

So far they have one ratified with the Faroe Islands. Maybe others, sorry I don't know.

I think they really know where this is going, but the hubris won't allow a climb down.

The penny is starting to drop with many who voted to leave that what was promised is pie in the sky.
    Unless you are incredibly selfish it`s obvious the EU is right in standing it`s ground and calling the UK`s bluff-the EU holds all the cards imo.
    In addition to this,the so called great trade deal with the US will only be great for them who probably see it as an opportunity to cherry pick the best parts of the UK(running the NHS for one).
    Johnson`s blustering and meaningless slogans will probably be his downfall and may still be the catalyst that reverses brexit.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

One could easily wonder why the UK are the only ones who made the decision to jump and as things currently stand seem to be the only ones to do it in the short to medium term!
    However one could also question their ability at the process given they triggered Art 50 without an iota of a plan and over two years later still cannot agree amongst themselves on what they exactly want!

I think they honestly believed that the EU was going to crumble, either because of brexit or for other reasons. The whole concept of Brexit is predicated on the EU falling apart, which it hasnt.

On them not agreeing what they want, I wonder what the political landscape in the UK would look like if Labour, Lib Dems, SNP said "we dont want the Tory deal, but this is the least worst option so we will vote for it or abstain". The Lib Dem approach of resisting Brexit at all costs seems to be working for them in the polls, but I wonder would it not be better for the UK if they had just voted for the WA

The penny is starting to drop with many who voted to leave that what was promised is pie in the sky.
    Unless you are incredibly selfish it`s obvious the EU is right in standing it`s ground and calling the UK`s bluff-the EU holds all the cards imo.
    In addition to this,the so called great trade deal with the US will only be great for them who probably see it as an opportunity to cherry pick the best parts of the UK(running the NHS for one).
    Johnson`s blustering and meaningless slogans will probably be his downfall and may still be the catalyst that reverses brexit.
    This is all true but there is no point explaining it to the brexit nut cases so they have to go without a deal and maybe when britian is in a depression they mite get it, thats why I'm looking forword to a no deal it's the only way of making the penny drop

• Advertisement

I think everyone is waiting for the resumption of Westminster Parliament and the EU also now. That will be two weeks forward I think.

The last extension was granted on the assumption that the time would have been used wisely, and what did the UK do? Nothing!

I have no interest in Macron apart from his potential influence in EU, but he did object to any further extensions, and wasn't he right just the same. Nothing has happened.

It may be a Franco/German struggle for power, but if that is so, I would be annoyed. Every member has a voice. But I get the fact that France and Germany are struggling to be top dog.

UK has long gone down that list now. Messers, troublemakers, and a big dose of hubris. Everyone can see it apart from themselves.

Interesting Autumn beckons when things in various Parliaments re group and awake from their Summer slumber!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement