Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Opinion does not equal fact

That was not exactly profound. Care to get into the specifics of which "opinion" you disagree with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

That was not exactly profound. Care to get into the specifics of which "opinion" you disagree with?

All of it. Pick any word you like. I disagree with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Let's wait for the facts so and we'll see how you like them.

Fair enough. Typical Brexiteer engagement with specifics there.

First Up wrote: »
    Let's wait for the facts so and we'll see how you like them.

Exactly.
    As I said opinion is not fact.

Finally someone agrees. Thanks

• Advertisement

Exactly.
    As I said opinion is not fact.

Finally someone agrees. Thanks

No thanks required. Facts speak for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Wow, if a sentence could sum up the Brexit attitude. Just because they say it, we will fundamentally disagree.

Sometimes, the truth and what is staring you in the face is a bitter pill to swallow. Yellowhammer is ramming that home today. Any word:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

You seem to have missed all the humiliations of Britain in this regard over the past three years, not to mention the pfo last week from the Speaker of the US House of Representatives, which decides trade deals, to Donald Trump when he promised the British that he'd be gentle when he plundered them via a trade deal.

Theresa May’s India trip reveals much about who will matter in post-Brexit Britain

Your entire posting style here seems to be to make claims you can't substantiate, and that's a kind way of putting your posting style in this thread. There are many people here who'd actually like to find even one poster who could put forward rational, fact-based posts supporting this "Brexit will be great for England" argument.

None of us can sustantiate anything. You say yourself that the Brexit situation is causing uncertainty. The truth us, nobody knows what will happen. I tend to not be on the side of the scaremongering though. I beleive in Great Britain. We will see who is correct soon enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Important.

Please explain how you disagree with important.

None of us can sustantiate anything. You say yourself that the Brexit situation is causing uncertainty. The truth us, nobody knows what will happen. I tend to not be on the side of the scaremongering though. I beleive in Great Britain. We will see who is correct soon enough...

You keep waving your flag and hoping for the best. Meanwhile businesses all over Europe (and elsewhere) are making plans to replace the UK in case dealing with it becomes too messy. And we have yet to hear anything from the UK to reassure us on that score.

Nothing kills business faster than uncertainty. Flag waving bravado might go down well with the party faithful but it is disastrous in every other way.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Calina wrote: »
      The UK does not know what it wants. Remember, the extensions are at the request of the UK. What negotiations are happening are happening inside the UK only. Anything that happens last minute will happen in London.

I disagree that the UK doesn't know what it wants. PM Johnson knows hian2 main priorities in order are :1. leave the EU with a deal. 2 leave the EU without a deal.

The negotiations could involve either side giving ground. The last few deadlines were way too optimistic as the UK didn't have the prep don't to leave. So the extension wasn't just a political move. If the UK left with a deal they could manage but couldn't manage without a deal.

This time they have the prep done so the deadline is much more likely. All the micky waving of the last few years could give way to pragmatism in the couple of days before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

You seem to have missed all the humiliations of Britain in this regard over the past three years, not to mention the pfo last week from the Speaker of the US House of Representatives, which decides trade deals, to Donald Trump when he promised the British that he'd be gentle when he plundered them via a trade deal.

Theresa May’s India trip reveals much about who will matter in post-Brexit Britain

Your entire posting style here seems to be to make claims you can't substantiate, and that's a kind way of putting your posting style in this thread. There are many people here who'd actually like to find even one poster who could put forward rational, fact-based posts supporting this "Brexit will be great for England" argument.

I think its certain that a no deal brexit will be bad for britian

Important.

Please explain how you disagree with important.

How about no. I owe you nothing

I disagree that the UK doesn't know what it wants. PM Johnson knows hian2 main priorities in order are :1. leave the EU with a deal. 2 leave the EU without a deal.

The negotiations could involve either side giving ground. The last few deadlines were way too optimistic as the UK didn't have the prep don't to leave. So the extension wasn't just a political move. If the UK left with a deal they could manage but couldn't manage without a deal.

This time they have the prep done so the deadline is much more likely. All the micky waving of the last few years could give way to pragmatism in the couple of days before the deadline.

There are no negotiations.

I was staying in a strong unionist area in NI recently and overheard interesting pub talk and got chatting with locals. These are rural people who have to do several jobs to earn a living and they joked with me about coming down south to carry on economically on account to the madness of where they were being taken by Brexit.

I was staying in a strong unionist area in NI recently and overheard interesting pub talk and got chatting with locals. These are rural people who have to do several jobs to earn a living and they joked with me about coming down south to carry on economically on account to the madness of where they were being taken by Brexit.

I hope you put them straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

At least they will be free to set their own path

How about no. I owe you nothing

I said please.

Never mind though, it’s pretty clear you don’t disagree with every word that would be just silly.

They wouldn't be noticed among all the other people from a unionist background living here, especially in Dublin. According to this from the 2011 Census, when the economy was dire: 37,900 in NI were born in Ireland, representing almost 1 in 5 of the total, while 58,500 in Ireland were born in NI. I can't find any further breakdown on the community background of that 58,500.

You can be certain the figure is a lot higher now that the economy is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,215 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And when it does happen you can close your account in embarrassment rather than face up to the claims you made, unfortunately real people will have to reap the whirlwind people like you created. A whirlwind of lies, pride and jingoistic 'Great Britain' bull****.

• Advertisement

And when it does happen you can close your account in embarrassment rather than face up to the claims you made, unfortunately real people will have to reap the whirlwind people like you created. A whirlwind of lies, pride and jingoistic 'Great Britain' bull****.

Brexit means Brexit.

Hopefully a few more follow an the EU comes crashing down.

At least they will be free to set their own path
      Yeah and a prisoner could cut himself up in to small pieces put them tru the bars and be free, but in his quest for freedom he commits suicide

First Up wrote: »
      There are no negotiations.

The negotiations, if they happen, will occur in the leadup to the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

so just to clarify, is there any way around the end of october if theres no deal negociated or is borris steering the ship directly for an unrecoverable end with no ability to turn back ?

Brexit means Brexit.

Hopefully a few more follow an the EU comes crashing down.
      I hope I'm wrong but I think we will never get rid of the brits, if they don't go I hope the EU throw them out

so just to clarify, is there any way around the end of october if theres no deal negociated or is borris steering the ship directly for an unrecoverable end with no ability to turn back ?

There are ways to avoid No Deal but it’s the current default setting so in the absence of Boris or Parliament doing something No Deal it is.

The negotiations, if they happen, will occur in the leadup to the deadline.

The withdrawal agreement took months to negotiate and runs to 600 pages. It will not be revisited.

The only scope for negotiation is in Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There are ways to avoid No Deal but it’s the current default setting so in the absence of Boris or Parliament doing something No Deal it is.

and presuming the EU will say times up in october, thats the hard deadline ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They wouldn't be noticed among all the other people from a unionist background living here, especially in Dublin. According to this from the 2011 Census, when the economy was dire: 37,900 in NI were born in Ireland, representing almost 1 in 5 of the total, while 58,500 in Ireland were born in NI. I can't find any further breakdown on the community background of that 58,500.

You can be certain the figure is a lot higher now that the economy is better.

Almost everyone in NI was born in Ireland, that is why they are Irish citizens.

• Advertisement

Nothing is certain. There might be a deal, there might not. MPs could block no deal which would mean calling for an extension. There could be a general election. There could be a vote of no confidence in the current PM.

It's not a very satisfying answer but that's the case. Nothing is likely to be known until close to the deadline date.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement