Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

davedanon wrote: »
    That's why he went to Berlin and Paris and went "waffle, waffle, where's there's a will there's a way. waffle, waffle, technological fixes waffle waffle." He can't be bothered putting any work in. That's why he was one of the worst Foreign Secretaries ever. He couldn't be arsed mastering his brief, and his glib, Telegraph-columnist background led him to insult many a foreign dignitary with his lazy, cheap stereotyping.

He’s going through the motions with the senior EU leaders.
    He has to be able to tell parliament when they come back from their holidays that he tried to make a better deal.
    But that they were as intransigent as they ever were.
    So the UK is leaving with no deal.
    None of this is rocket science.
    He’ll appear to parliament to have been pleasant and conciliatory and Macron and Merkel less so.
    No deal was to be got.

I could be wrong, but afaik she quit?

Yes she quit.
    After she worked non stop for the entirety of her PMship on trying to do her best for the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Popeleo wrote: »
    I didn't have to read a Wiki about him but I have no doubt that you just did before your reply.

You never heard about him until I linked this study, you then Googled him, found his Wikipedia page and unintentionally quoted it.

Popeleo wrote: »
    You repeatedly use the example of sub-Saharan Africa,

In the link I provided, there are plenty of non African countries listed with lower average IQ scoresthan Ireland. Your repeated attempts to conflate my posts with racism is not working. Please debate the facts rather than trying to smear me, it is a cowardly form of debate. Let me ask you a question, would Ireland be better off economically if we took immigrants with average IQ's rather than immigrates with below average IQ's?

splinter65 wrote: »
    Yes she quit.
    After she worked non stop for the entirety of her PMship on trying to do her best for the UK.

She didn't work hard enough, they are still in the EU. She is a disgrace, shame on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Yes she quit.

She didn't work hard enough, they are still in the EU. She is a disgrace, shame on her.
    de paffell is on the back foot now, 29 days to come up with a alternative solution to the backstop which he accepts is his problem, he wasted today talking to Macron and he can't wait to get rid of the uk

• Advertisement

Yes she quit.

Agree fully, I hope Westminster never goes on fire the tories would never be find the fire exits

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don’t want to see another word on IQ and race.

dudara

He’s going through the motions with the senior EU leaders.
    He has to be able to tell parliament when they come back from their holidays that he tried to make a better deal.
    But that they were as intransigent as they ever were.
    So the UK is leaving with no deal.
    None of this is rocket science.
    He’ll appear to parliament to have been pleasant and conciliatory and Macron and Merkel less so.
    No deal was to be got.

That is pretty much the choice he is giving Parliament.

This is the deal. I am happy to go with no deal, but it is time to **** or get off the pot. Accept this or we go out with no deal.

Is Ireland having a party like the one the Dutch are having on October 31st ?

So what do you think she should have done that she didn’t do?

• Advertisement

Is it considered good manners over in Britain to put your feet on somebody's table when you're invited into their home? Then again, when this whole visiting Merkel/Macron stunt is designed for a domestic English audience as part of an overall scapegoating of the EU for a hard Brexit, this sort of disrespect fits into the uncouth crassness of Brexiteers generally.

_108412412_eb7932d7-00e3-48f3-9f12-d2531c1bb0c9.jpg

Dutch plan big Brexit beach party:
    ..."It will be a nice goodbye to a good friend who is going on an exciting adventure, but is perhaps not too bright," Mr Toekook told the Dutch news agency ANP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Someone asked me earlier why Merkel and Macron were running the show with Johnson, when the EU is made up of so many member States.

I'm afraid I didn't have an answer really. Well I suppose Germany and France are running the show. And I wonder if that could be inflammatory? But I suppose it is what it is.

But Ireland and the Netherlands will be the most disrupted in a No Deal situation economically and in lots of other ways too.

Just prickled my interest. And hope it doesn't play into the duopoly of France/Germany ruling the roost now in any breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Is it considered good manners over in Britain to put your feet on somebody's table when you're invited into their home? Then again, when this whole visiting Merkel/Macron stunt is designed for a domestic English audience as part of an overall scapegoating of the EU for a hard Brexit, this sort of disrespect fits into the uncouth crassness of Brexiteers generally.

I really hope that picture captures Macron in the process of moving the table so Boris' foot falls to the floor while mid sentence.

I’m sure Mr Macron appreciates your outrage on his behalf and you are to be commended for caring so much about the furniture in the Elysees Palace.
    Sadly for you you’ve wasted all your tears, ala Simply Red.
    Apparently Mr Macron jovially pointed out that the small table served equally as well as a footstool and invited Mr Johnson to demonstrate as such which he, in return, enjoying the joke, did to much hilarity.
    So hopefully he’ll do something awful tomorrow to justify your indignation.
    I’d hate to see you blowing a gasket!

I really hope that picture captures Macron in the process of moving the table so Boris' foot falls to the floor while mid sentence.

No, that’s not what was happening. Try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

France and Germany don't 'rule the roost'. The EU doesn't work that way. But Boris isn't talking to the Dutch or Spanish Prime Minister for the same reason he's snubbed Leo. He wants to be seen talking to the (fellow) big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yes she quit.

That is a false narrative. Or at least it's giving her much more credit than is due.

May made work for herself by making stupid decisions, or by failing to make decisions at all. She triggeted article 50 without a sketch of a plan. She allowed the Tory party to be taken over by maniacs and kept no discipline. She set impossible red lines which then dictated almost exactly the Brexit she would get. She called the disastrous unnecesary snap election and then got into bed with the DUP. She invented the slogans 'No Deal is Better than a Bad Deal' and 'Brexit means Brexit'.

This attempt to somehow rehabilitate May is a nonsense. She doesnt deserve anyones praise nor sympathy. She was a failure and is a nasty woman - besides whatever else, she is the originator of the hostile environment which made life difficult for so many, and led to the Windrush scandal. Worst of all is she knew better, but decided to live the lie at the top of government.

And Boris as a 'cunning manipulator you underestimate at your peril'? Hardly. He's not a politician. He's a journalist. No, strike that, he didn't have the integrity and work ethic to be a decent journalist. He's a columnist, paid lots of money to spout loads of old sh1te in the Tory broadsheet press, which he was never be required to back up with actual facts. In his one senior cabinet post he was an acknowledged failure. He winged it as Foreign Sec, and frequently insulted foreign dignitaries in a manner that would have impressed Prince Philip. I'm not sure why one or two on here are so invested in bigging up Johnson. He's been described as 'what happens when you send Donald Trump to Eton', which isn't so very far from the mark, really.

France and Germany don't 'rule the roost'. The EU doesn't work that way. But Boris isn't talking to the Dutch or Spanish Prime Minister for the same reason he's snubbed Leo. He wants to be seen talking to the (fellow) big boys.

Snubbed leo? He's arranging a visit to meet leo.

• Advertisement

Snubbed leo? He's arranging a visit to meet leo.

Yes, of course. But only after he has the big mediafests with Angela and Macron.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Right. Because your average Brit on the ground doesn't know how the EU works. As far as they're concerned it's a Franco-German cartel that has dragged the rest of Europe along for the ride.

Bojo isn't travelling this week to try and fix anything. It's purely for the domestic audience so he can say he "talked to the EU" and gave them a right good rollicking about what Blighty will do if they don't get what they want. What what.

seamus wrote: »
    Right. Because your average Brit on the ground doesn't know how the EU works. As far as they're concerned it's a Franco-German cartel that has dragged the rest of Europe along for the ride.

Bojo isn't travelling this week to try and fix anything. It's purely for the domestic audience so he can say he "talked to the EU" and gave them a right good rollicking about what Blighty will do if they don't get what they want. What what.

Yes, it's all optics, so he can say 'Well, I tried, but, you know, what can you expect from Johnny foreigner'.

This is all electioneering.

Yes, of course. But only after he has the big mediafests with Angela and Macron.

I fear you overestimate Leo’s position in the EU leaders pecking order.
    And by some distance.

I fear you overestimate Leo’s position in the EU leaders pecking order.
    And by some distance.

Really? How so?

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. He can't meet everyone first. Didn't occur to me that everyone was snubbed except Merkel

Really? How so?

So if there are 28 leaders who do you see as the most influential top 5 and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,219 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So if there are 28 leaders who do you see as the most influential top 5 and why?

The exact reason the UK is in the mess they are in is that they didn't put us high enough up the 'pecking order'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

At this stage, and I doubt it will happen, (capitulation by EU re backstop), but if it does, I will seriously consider living in the EU to escape all this shyte. I know that sounds ridiculous given that my premise is that EU has let ROI down, but anyway.

Am lucky that I could do it tomorrow if I wanted to. Problem is, I don't want to, I am a patriot to Ireland and the EU.

But if push comes to shove.....

Anyway, I doubt anyone cares what I do!

• Advertisement

So what do you think she should have done that she didn’t do?

Leave in March with or without a deal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement