Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

First Up wrote: »
    Huge checks on northern side of the border from M1 to A1 and Also on Dublin Express into Lanyon place last 2 days. Sign of the times.

Checking what?

Id and baggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

It's time people faced the inevitable, hard Brexit is going ahead and it doesn't matter how much slagging off the British we do we are going to have to learn to deal with it.

Some of my business interests are going to suffer but tbh when I look at the greater picture I think it's vital democracy and the will of the voting electorate is carried through on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Id and baggage.

As in a security check?

First Up wrote: »
    Id and baggage.

As in a security check?

Yes PSNI and customs officials. 37 officers 17 psni, 20 customs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Yes PSNI and customs officials. 37 officers 17 psni, 20 customs

PSNI is fair enough but interesting about customs. A dry run perhaps? If so, it sort of contradicts Boris' insistence of no border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Are they stopping cars?

Are they stopping cars?

Yes my wife was stopped leaving the North earlier, when she rang me to tell me as im away I went to twitter seems that alot of reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

...when I look at the greater picture I think it's vital democracy and the will of the voting electorate is carried through on.

Don't think most people in UK voted for this Brexitiest of Brexits that may be coming up soon if Boris isn't lying (crash out with no agreement in place).

Going by the Brexit party support in the most recent EU elections, it is probably about 30 % of the 40 % of so of electorate enthused enough about the issue to come out for an EU election and vote to give the EU a two fingered salute.

There's a significant minority that want this extreme outcome but doubt if it is (or ever was) the "will of the people", even among those voting for Conservative party in general elections.

when I look at the greater picture I think it's vital democracy and the will of the voting electorate is carried through on.

Could we gerrymander a partition of England so, just so that the will of all those pro-EU people in London and so on can be equally respected? Surely you couldn't force them to leave the EU against their will? If it's good enough for India and Ireland, surely a good, decent partition is good enough for England?

I look forward to a part of England being under EU rule as long as it's the "wishes of the majority" there to remain part of the EU. We could call the new state the 'United Kingdom of the EU and South-East England'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's time people faced the inevitable, hard Brexit is going ahead and it doesn't matter how much slagging off the British we do we are going to have to learn to deal with it.

Some of my business interests are going to suffer but tbh when I look at the greater picture I think it's vital democracy and the will of the voting electorate is carried through on.
    Although, clearly, no deal Brexit is not the will of the voting electorate, and can only be implmented by undemocratic means.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Parliament has already voted twice (or is it three times) against a no deal Brexit so how is a no deal brexit democratic? Bearing in mind that the UK is a parliamentary democracy where parliament is supreme.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Parliament has already voted twice (or is it three times) against a no deal Brexit so how is a no deal brexit democratic? Bearing in mind that the UK is a parliamentary democracy where parliament is supreme.
    Ok so what has Westminster agreed that it actually does want?

Oh it hasn't but it has said multiple times now that it does not want a no deal. I dont think parliament could make it any clearer that it does not want a no deal brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Oh it hasn't but it has said multiple times now that it does not want a no deal. I dont think parliament could make it any clearer that it does not want a no deal brexit.

Acts which (while fundamentally useless in stopping No Deal) will be used by the Brexiters as proof that the only reason this is so hard for the UK is because there are traitors in Parliament who want to stop Brexit.

Voting against No Deal removed their trump card, y'see? Or...something....

The fact they voted against No Deal will probably lead to a final vote on May's Deal or something. For a while there, I was starting to believe there could be No Deal but now, I don't it's possible.

Dytalus wrote: »
    Acts which (while fundamentally useless in stopping No Deal) will be used by the Brexiters as proof that the only reason this is so hard for the UK is because there are traitors in Parliament who want to stop Brexit.

Voting against No Deal removed their trump card, y'see? Or...something....

not in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I genuinely believe there are some members of parliament who will foolishly just vote whatever way they think will stop a majority in some vague hope that the whole thing just goes away. I think everyone else should be working together to form a deal to bring the hardcore brexiteers and Boris in with the moderates rather than the hardcore and Boris finding the bare minimum they can to get them over the line with some of the moderates.

Other than leaving with some form of deal, whatever happens will have people screaming that is was anti democratic.

Boris is the reason the UK is in this mess.
    Corbyn is the reason it can't get out of it.

Amazed that the UK has ended up with such dividing leaders anyone but Corbyn and there would have been a no confidence vote passed

• Advertisement

Boris is the reason the UK is in this mess.
    Corbyn is the reason it can't get out of it.

Amazed that the UK has ended up with such dividing leaders anyone but Corbyn and there would have been a no confidence vote passed

There are no leaders unfortunately, just personalities

g42bv4lnari31.jpg

There's a very good video on The Irish Times website today interviewing people in Holyhead in Wales, which voted for Brexit, about how they feel now:

Holyhead on Brexit: 'We were led like lambs to the slaughter'

From those people it seems they're just blaming the EU for globalisation - the supermarkets being built on the outskirts of the town leading to Holyhead's decay (Surely it was their local politicians who granted that planning permission and had nothing to do with the EU?), the factories closing, and so forth - when it was a British politician in the form of Margaret Thatcher who was far and away the strongest proponent of "free market" right-wing capitalism in all of Europe.

The Holyhead councillor who thinks that if they leave the EU Holyhead will have the freedom to become a port of global importance was asked by the interviewer was he being realistic, he responds "If you haven't got any ambition, you'll never get anywhere." Jesus. The stupidity of the people who follow these snake oil salesmen and charlatans is abject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

There's a very good video on The Irish Times website today interviewing people in Holyhead in Wales, which voted for Brexit, about how they feel now:

Holyhead on Brexit: 'We were led like lambs to the slaughter'

From those people it seems they're just blaming the EU for globalisation - the supermarkets being built on the outskirts of the town leading to Holyhead's decay (Surely it was their local politicians who granted that planning permission and had nothing to do with the EU?), the factories closing, and so forth - when it was a British politician in the form of Margaret Thatcher who was far and away the strongest proponent of "free market" right-wing capitalism in all of Europe.

The Holyhead councillor who thinks that if they leave the EU Holyhead will have the freedom to become a port of global importance was asked by the interviewer was he being realistic, he responds "If you haven't got any ambition, you'll never get anywhere." Jesus. The stupidity of the people who follow these snake oil salesmen and charlatans is abject.

Passed through it many times. ****hole is being kind. Very insular backwards thinking folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Passed through it many times. ****hole is being kind. Very insular backwards thinking folk.
    If I remember correctly, Anglesey is the poorest region in the UK.

Presumably it was containerization that destroyed the town. It's an awful kip.

It hasn't agreed on anything that it wants.

The closest it came was with the Brady amendment, where a slim majority voted to approve the WA provided the backstop was removed and replaced with something else, but there's no agreement in Westminster (never mind any agreement with the EU) about what the "something else" might be.

Aegir wrote: »
    Other than leaving with some form of deal, whatever happens will have people screaming that is was anti democratic.
    Leaving with a deal will also be described as anti-democratic, both by Hard Brexiters who will insist that the deal is not the True Brexit™ that people voted for in 2016, and by Remainers who will insist that a majority now want to remain, or that a majority do not approve of the deal, or both of these things.

But, if we're honest, Brexit is fated to be denounced as undemocratic because there has, in truth, been a substantial democratic deficit in the way the project has been advanced and implemented. Brexiters haven't sought to implement Brexit in a democratic way because of an awareness that, if they did, there were unlikely to secure the Brexit they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

If he wants to leave with no deal he will have to suspend parliament. He has already sought legal advice on such a situation.

There will be uproar in the uk.

He may not have to suspend parliament. It remains to be seen whether parliament can get its act together, soon enough, to take the kind of actions that would be needed to force Johnson to seek and accept a deferral.

(And of course there is nothing Parliament can do to force the EU to grant a deferral. Nobody has really considered the question of how the EU will react if Boris is forced by Parliament to seek a deferral that he doesn't, in fact, want and has no plans to use in any constructive way.)

• Advertisement

A refusal of an extension would be a sight to behold. The frantic efforts to reframe "They're trying to trap us." to "They're don't want us and they want a border in Ireland."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement