Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Passed through it many times. ****hole is being kind. Very insular backwards thinking folk.

I've lived in the North East of England and I think it's about the inequality within the UK. They resent london because it does t give a shut about them but it makes decisions on their behalf. I think the people in areas who voted brexit will be happier that the gap between them and London falls even if they're all poorer at the end,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If he wants to leave with no deal he will have to suspend parliament. He has already sought legal advice on such a situation.

There will be uproar in the uk.

There would be uproar but that's the normal state of the UK right now. He would almost certainty get away with it without having to resign. I'd do it if I were him. Best chance of actually leaving which he kinda has to do.

In any case, it will come down to what's agreed, or not, in the last few days before the deadline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

I've lived in the North East of England and I think it's about the inequality within the UK. They resent london because it does t give a shut about them but it makes decisions on their behalf. I think the people in areas who voted brexit will be happier that the gap between them and London falls even if they're all poorer at the end,

So many fantastic people in the North of England. I sincerely hope their democratic will isn't ignored and they have an exit from the EU in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The gap between them and London will not fall. It will rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

So many fantastic people in the North of England. I sincerely hope their democratic will isn't ignored and they have an exit from the EU in a few weeks.
    You forgot to add ". . . on the terms they were promised when they voted for it."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Lot of people here seem to know what exit or no deal people over there voted for. The people over there when asked don’t seem to know and can only answer ‘we voted to leave’. Yet cannot outline what’s that entails or what the consequences will be for them. And thy don’t seem to care. And around we go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well I think I saw yesterday that Boris was basically going around saying it was "all the EU's fault, they won't give us the deal we want".But Parliament doesn't want the various deal(s) that were struck anyway.The backstop is fading from the headlines to just become crash-out vs some sort of unspecified "deal" that nobody knows details of-probably because there are none.

At this point I am beginning to get bewildered myself.(again), and I am back to thinking in terms of this thread title.

The thought I managed on it this morning is that Trump's glee and enthusiastic supporting of the whole mess may hinder as opposed to help Johnson.I don't think anyone in Britain fancies the idea of Trump looking across the Atlantic and rubbing his hands together in glee.And unfortunately he is a loose cannon, whose statements can't be controlled by the Brits....interestingly I wonder could he end up undermining the whole thing.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You forgot to add ". . . on the terms they were promised when they voted for it."

Politicians make and break promises all the time.

Should we rerun the last election because FG promised to help the early risers?

You can't nit pick results to suit your agenda. You either have democracy or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You can't nit pick results to suit your agenda. You either have democracy or you don't.

You won't answer the question because you can't answer the question.

You won't answer the question because you can't answer the question.

It doesn't matter a jot what my answer is

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Democracy huh?
    The referendum was massively compromised.
    There was no plan. People were asked a binary question but given nothing but lies and spin about what might happen if they were to leave.
    In addition, there was huge spending by unofficial sources on the leave campaign, some of which was used to mislead undecided voters.
    Whatever the referendum was, it was not completely democratic!

Democracy huh?
    The referendum was massively compromised.
    There was no plan. People were asked a binary question but given nothing but lies and spin about what might happen if they were to leave.
    In addition, there was huge spending by unofficial sources on the leave campaign, some of which was used to mislead undecided voters.
    Whatever the referendum was, it was not completely democratic!

All elections are compromised with spin and lies. You think FG/FF etc... don't spend a fortune on PR with back handers from questionable sources to fund them?

I'm sorry you can't have it both ways. Either you believe in the power of the ballot box or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It doesn't matter a jot what my answer is

It does. Because if you don't answer then your central point is meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

All elections are compromised with spin and lies. You think FG/FF etc... don't spend a fortune on PR with back handers from questionable sources to fund them?

I'm sorry you can't have it both ways. Either you believe in the power of the ballot box or you don't.

the only ballot box that matters is the one that elects parliament. Parliament is sovereign in the UK. any attempt to go around that is profoundly undemocratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It was not an election - it was a referendum - and it would never have been legal in this country the way it was ran!

Also, democracy allows the country to make a new decision or reaffirming it's last decision every 5 years at most. The probable general election in the UK this October/November will see them making that decision for the 3rd time in 4-years! Just as they had a second 'are you sure' referendum on joining the EEC in the 1970's - which leavers don't want anybody to mention!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    It was not an election - it was a referendum - and it would never have been legal in this country the way it was ran!

Also, democracy allows the country to make a new decision or reaffirming it's last decision every 5 years at most. The probable general election in the UK this October/November will see them making that decision for the 3rd time in 4-years! Just as they had a second 'are you sure' referendum on joining the EEC in 1975 - which leavers don't want anybody to mention!

The No campaigns in both marriage equality and repeal had vast amounts of dark money from undeclared sources. And it was never looked into. Just saying.

The No campaigns in both marriage equality and repeal had vast amounts of dark money from undeclared sources. And it was never looked into. Just saying.

and of course you have evidence to support that and made it available to the proper authorities?

and of course you have evidence to support that and made it available to the proper authorities?

Were you not here for either ref? It was quite the hot topic at the time. Pro life ads on Facebook etc being paid for from anonymous companies based on the US being one example

• Registered Users Posts: 69,221 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/12/ireland-abortion-campaign-foreign-influence-facebook

Were you not here for either ref? It was quite the hot topic at the time. Pro life ads on Facebook etc being paid for from anonymous companies based on the US being one example

Apologies, i read your post backwards. I read pro life as pro choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

!

FWIW you can find the clip on LBC of JRM saying it was an election, not a general election, and having the caller hang up on him. The gaslighting by the Brexiteers is pretty much their modus operandi. Lie. Repeat. Lie. Gaslight. Repeat. Repeat.

Apologies, i read your post backwards. I read pro life as pro choice.

No worries. Mad thing is they were running focus groups on their ads and messaging months before. I attended one an got €50 for my time.
    They were out the gate something like four months before the ref with posters absolutely everywhere and long before Yes has even started. They had loads of American activists over an we all saw what they got up to and then the paid ads on Facebook.

SIPO never investigated where all that money was coming from. Which is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

SIPO never investigated where all that money was coming from. Which is weird.

If he money was from outside Ireland, what can they do about it?

If it was from within Ireland, how is it illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Qelres.

BJ is such a bullsh1tter

I've never heard so much spin and waffle

If he money was from outside Ireland, what can they do about it?

If it was from within Ireland, how is it illegal?

That’s how they got around it I think. Meaning the NO campaign. If some foreign entity wants to pay fo thousands of posters that somehow isn’t actively campaigning in a ref which would be illegal if it were foreign people. So the money never went into no’s accounts. It was all paid for from outside. .

One of the things that was brought up after that campaign rules and regulation needing tone reformed given what we’ve seen of outside interference online in all the big ones here an brexit and trumps campaign etc

Yeah, because a referendum really is a politician promise. Is this the level of pro leave discourse?

It was not an election

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Yep, could they not go dis evening or in the morning early?

The north of england is a right s... hole full of sum bags and drug addicts, fantastic people me elbow

• Advertisement

Yeah while he was out for a pint with the proper authorities

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement