Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

A general election will (probably) end the Parliamentary stalemate.

Unless of course the Tory party lose even more seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

tigger123 wrote: »

Which is highly possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Which is highly possible.

Part of Their plans it seems

https://twitter.com/williamsjon/status/1166664534460895232?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Weasel Johnson trying to drag the Queen into his grubby plans which hopefully will open people's eyes to his true agenda which certainly isn't democratic or what the public was led to believe would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Weasel Johnson trying to drag the Queen into his grubby plans which hopefully will open people's eyes to his true agenda which certainly isn't democratic or what the public was led to believe would happen.

Betty Windsor has to be formally asked.

She has no say or influence on it.

• Advertisement

It was a great pity that May did not win an outright majority, her deal would have been carried.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,672 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Danzy wrote: »

So she can't say no to Boris?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah it's just a procedure. As you point out, she has no say.

NIMAN wrote: »

In theory she could but it would overturn centuries of precedents, not to mind what they fought a civil war over.

It would be a constitutional crisis that would likely end with her abdication.

The Govt asking for a session to end, especially after the longest session in a lifetime, is not going to warrant that, it's cynical timing aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He has that effect on a lot of women seemingly....

It says a lot for him when no one is really sure if he has 5 or 6 kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

In the past 400 years since the English Civil war lots of games of politics have been played. And the monarchy if it wants to remain a thing would be best advised not to rock the boat. If she interferes and breaks centuries of precedents for Brexit, why not for the next issue that occurs 10-20 years from now.

Maybe she'd survive the fallout, but she'll have set a precedent that will be played on for for the centuries to come, long after me and you are around.

How many wars has the monarchy not intervened in, countries seceding from the empire etc etc - all which the monarchy haven't intervened in.

But she should over Brexit?

It was a great pity that May did not win an outright majority, her deal would have been carried.

For sure. They'll live to regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Boris in fairness to him has played a blinder thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

gmisk wrote: »
    He has that effect on a lot of women seemingly....

It says a lot for him when no one is really sure if he has 5 or 6 kids.

Uncalled for getting personal. This is about politics not his family. Says a lot about you that you'd bring that into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Boris in fairness to him has played a blinder thus far.

Massive risk by Johnson: He could irreparably harm the monarchy and bust open the UK even more than it is busted open already.

It would be popcorn time if there wasn't the real prospect of people getting hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Massive risk by Johnson: He could irreparably harm the monarchy and bust open the UK even more than it is busted open already.

It would be popcorn time if there wasn't the real prospect of people getting hurt.

I've had the popcorn out so long that I'm sick of it.

Bringing the Monarchy into this definition comes at an interesting time for them. This skills with prince Andrews problems could severely damage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Aegir wrote: »
    U don't understand the concept of 'wheel turning'

I apprecate English may not be your first language, so let me help you
    you
    pronoun

1. used to refer to the person or people that the speaker is addressing.
    "are you listening?"
    2.used to refer to the person being addressed together with other people regarded in the same class.
    "you Americans"
    U, u

noun, plural U's or Us, u's or us.
    • the 21st letter of the English alphabet, a vowel.
    • any spoken sound represented by the letter U or u, as in music, rule, curious, put, or jug.
    • something having the shape of a U.
    • a written or printed representation of the letter U or u.
    • a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter U or u.
    England didn't invent the wheel old chap

I've had the popcorn out so long that I'm sick of it.

Bringing the Monarchy into this definition comes at an interesting time for them. This skills with prince Andrews problems could severely damage them.

In one way they are lucky the Queen is still with us, as she has enough miles in the tank as a 'lovable servant' to maybe emerge unscathed. But it is a huge risk imo. I think a lot of British people might re-evaluate the monarchy as a concept, as a result as it gives the lie to it being just a 'tourist' thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Uncalled for getting personal. This is about politics not his family. Says a lot about you that you'd bring that into it.
    Chill out...it was a joke....this is under "Social & Fun" so lighten up...your response says a lot about you...

He is no doozer to be honest, perfect example is him and his "favourite hobby" which sounded totally made up (making model buses...) now when you google Boris and Bus the first things that come up are not to do with the 350m for the NHS on the side of a bus stories.

The media in general seem to be giving him an easy ride...or in fairness he cuts them out of press.

What meaningful alternative has he offered to the backstop?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

What are the chances of Sinn Fein showing up in the commons next week to join MPs efforts to work against Boris? Can those that were elected just turn up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Suspension has been approved

What are the chances of Sinn Fein showing up in the commons next week to join MPs efforts to work against Boris? Can those that were elected just turn up?

I'd say there is more chance of Prince Philip cartwheeling across Wimbledon Common in the nip.

*Oh wait! :)

I'd say there is more chance of Prince Philip cartwheeling across Wimbledon Common in the nip.

*Oh wait! :)

LOL...not sure which would be funnier...

looks like they've firmly ruled it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not prepared to put the national interest first - in this case the island of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,672 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They can .... but they won't.

Newsnight is gonna be another classic episode tonight.

looks like they've firmly ruled it out...

After decades of running on an abstentionist ticket, which has at it's core not interfering in the running of other countries...it isn't going to happen. It would achieve only instant gratification in the scheme of things anyhow. The UK is breaking up and can only save itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

They can just show up, but they'd need to swear their oaths of allegiance first.

They won't though and I wouldn't blame them. What'll they achieve by doing so? The opposition don't even have a position they agree on either. So they'd be giving up their core political stance, out of spite of Boris Johnson, just to let Jeremy Corbyn perhaps take the reigns. So until Jeremy Corbyn agrees to a border poll you won't be seeing SF in London.

It's to help the people of NI you say. Again if the opposition had a unified and clear stance you could argue that but they don't.

They've voted down every version of the agreement and during that comical session where they voted no to every alternative as well so there isn't something to even consider, asides from sticking it to Johnson

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not prepared to put the national interest first - in this case the island of Ireland.

I tend to agree - long standing principles getting in the way of immediate needs. But you could say the same about the DUP i.e. the Union is all important regardless of short-medium term economic realities!

• Advertisement

I tend to agree - long standing principles getting in the way of immediate needs. But you could say the same about the DUP i.e. the Union is all important regardless of short-medium term economic realities!

Ok...run through the scenario you see if SF went and voted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement