Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

no they like making a big song and dance about it

Lot of what is going on now is performance art prior alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Danzy wrote: »
    Both sides are led by the elite.

Remain camp in the referendum was one of the most unified establishment teams, ever seen in British politics.

If it was just down to Eton alumni, it would have been a landslide for Remain.

The elite among remainders at last the move vocal mouths aren’t making millions betting against the uk economy and shifting their money abroad etc

The leave ones are doing that and worse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭buried

Danzy wrote: »
    Both sides are led by the elite.

Remain camp in the referendum was one of the most unified establishment teams, ever seen in British politics.

If it was just down to Eton alumni, it would have been a landslide for Remain.

At least the elite in the remain side were telling the truth about what was going to happen.

Mogg and Johnson were selling a Ferrari to the British public.
    Now the public are going to get a snapped in half skateboard with no wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Brexiteer wrote: »
    been following this thread on and off for many months. swore I wouldn't post. but can't handle this echo chamber anymore

WHEN we leave on oct 31st, ireland is going down the toilet

- you ARE getting a hard border!

- slower or less use of the landbridge will make transit take longer, and imported goods, whether from the UK or the EU, more expensive

- a gradual cut of corporation tax in the UK will see business flocking from dublin to us - especially when ireland is forced to sign up to a common taxation policy in return for financial assistance. the only reason you got away with it in 2010 was because it was an emergency for everyone else and ireland had to be sorted in a hurry. this time, the EU will wait you out! RoI economy is artificial and a basket case when the US corporations bale out of there after corporation taxes hit 28%! we in the UK will even be free to give out corporate state aid wherever we see fit! Compete with THAT!!!!!

- your EU membership fees are getting a hike, a big one - one you won't be able to afford!

- 50,000 more people are about to go on the dole

- you are about to get a return of fianna fial government, only 9 years after they destroyed you!

- you make up nonsense about inferior chlorinated chicken that we'll be eating - we're all drinking chlorinated water every day as it is! also many food products imported from the EU are chlorinated and certified as safe.

- you make up other anti-competition excuses and nonsense about hormone beef - as someone who has been to the USA many times, i see nothing inferior about it and which will make a change from us eating irish horse meat not to mention the African Swine Flu the EU states have at the moment. also mass refrigerated transportation already puts goods from the far side of the world next to our EU "friends". the only difference being price, which when calculated costs a lot more from our next door neighbors due to EU markups. And I'd still prefer a steak from the US than the 2:30 winner from leapoardstown!

- You gloat about the break up of the union but NI and Scotland receive billions every year in benefits which Ireland and the EU simply wouldn't be able to carry. At the same time you'll saving the UK billions making us better off than they are now. Oh and Scotland would need to meet the criteria to join the EU which it doesn't currently have and when all UK ties are cut, would take decades to achieve. I have seen suggestions that the UK will have to help pay for NI for a number of years in the event of a united ireland - when did we agree to that and who is going to make us? by the way, the CTA will end too! good luck with getting your uk work visa's as well as taking a lot of the uk's scroungers off our hands!

- we'll be fine advancing trade with 85% of the world market rather than be fixated on a shrinking 14% whose standards aren't exactly the highest, even though they seem to think they are.

- The international community wants the destruction of the EU (minus 66 million) - yet you act like it will be the UK who will be the ones being a small fish in a big pond. Even within the EU, more than 50% in its own citizens do not trust EU!

- you think we wont get a USA trade deal - we will see about that when the dems are looking for voters and donors next year! THEY call the shots!

- Sterling will bounce back a few months after we leave. not as high as it was, but higher than now. we'll be fine. Just as we were supposed to be in a toilet for not joining the euro and the day after passing the referendum, ot was all wrong and still is now

- Also I see a common assumption that NHS workers will flee. no they won't. we will be free to give access to whoever we want!

We don't like bullies in the UK, we respond very badly to such pressures, and we especially dislike little squirts who puff themselves up and make threats just because they've joined a gang (Leo). He will live to regret his actions in the 2020 irish elections and losing his party leadership. Im sure he will get a cushy number from the EU masters in the future though, as a thanks for his help and as a consolation for destroying his own people!
    Its going to super duper for ye mate best of luck

been following this thread on and off for many months. swore I wouldn't post. but can't handle this echo chamber anymore

WHEN we leave on oct 31st, ireland is going down the toilet

- you ARE getting a hard border!

- slower or less use of the landbridge will make transit take longer, and imported goods, whether from the UK or the EU, more expensive

- a gradual cut of corporation tax in the UK will see business flocking from dublin to us - especially when ireland is forced to sign up to a common taxation policy in return for financial assistance. the only reason you got away with it in 2010 was because it was an emergency for everyone else and ireland had to be sorted in a hurry. this time, the EU will wait you out! RoI economy is artificial and a basket case when the US corporations bale out of there after corporation taxes hit 28%! we in the UK will even be free to give out corporate state aid wherever we see fit! Compete with THAT!!!!!

- your EU membership fees are getting a hike, a big one - one you won't be able to afford!

- 50,000 more people are about to go on the dole

- you are about to get a return of fianna fial government, only 9 years after they destroyed you!

- you make up nonsense about inferior chlorinated chicken that we'll be eating - we're all drinking chlorinated water every day as it is! also many food products imported from the EU are chlorinated and certified as safe.

- you make up other anti-competition excuses and nonsense about hormone beef - as someone who has been to the USA many times, i see nothing inferior about it and which will make a change from us eating irish horse meat not to mention the African Swine Flu the EU states have at the moment. also mass refrigerated transportation already puts goods from the far side of the world next to our EU "friends". the only difference being price, which when calculated costs a lot more from our next door neighbors due to EU markups. And I'd still prefer a steak from the US than the 2:30 winner from leapoardstown!

- You gloat about the break up of the union but NI and Scotland receive billions every year in benefits which Ireland and the EU simply wouldn't be able to carry. At the same time you'll saving the UK billions making us better off than they are now. Oh and Scotland would need to meet the criteria to join the EU which it doesn't currently have and when all UK ties are cut, would take decades to achieve. I have seen suggestions that the UK will have to help pay for NI for a number of years in the event of a united ireland - when did we agree to that and who is going to make us? by the way, the CTA will end too! good luck with getting your uk work visa's as well as taking a lot of the uk's scroungers off our hands!

- we'll be fine advancing trade with 85% of the world market rather than be fixated on a shrinking 14% whose standards aren't exactly the highest, even though they seem to think they are.

- The international community wants the destruction of the EU (minus 66 million) - yet you act like it will be the UK who will be the ones being a small fish in a big pond. Even within the EU, more than 50% in its own citizens do not trust EU!

- you think we wont get a USA trade deal - we will see about that when the dems are looking for voters and donors next year! THEY call the shots!

- Sterling will bounce back a few months after we leave. not as high as it was, but higher than now. we'll be fine. Just as we were supposed to be in a toilet for not joining the euro and the day after passing the referendum, ot was all wrong and still is now

- Also I see a common assumption that NHS workers will flee. no they won't. we will be free to give access to whoever we want!

We don't like bullies in the UK, we respond very badly to such pressures, and we especially dislike little squirts who puff themselves up and make threats just because they've joined a gang (Leo). He will live to regret his actions in the 2020 irish elections and losing his party leadership. Im sure he will get a cushy number from the EU masters in the future though, as a thanks for his help and as a consolation for destroying his own people!
    I can only see one possible problem with a hard brexit, your ould KFC mite taste different with the acid washed chicken

• Advertisement

You should probably look up how much Britain depends on ireland for food

Close the land bridge. Lol.

It hasn’t been even threatened cos the uk government know exactly how much they depend on ireland for food

The rest of your post is comedy thanks :)

We can get our food from anywhere - including at home once exporting our own food to EU markets makes no sense anymore. we have plenty thanks!

i didnt say we would close the landbridge by the way. i clearly said using the landbridge or importing from the EU mainland would be slower and therefore more expensive

nice to know you have no retort for my "comedy" anyway
    You should go for a hard brexit it in the morning mate, don't be afraid, it won't even take 3 months for sterling to bounce back I'd say 3 days and the ould pound will be stronger than ever

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Our government need to come out and be honest with the people and tell them how bad a hard brexit will be if it comes to pass

Our government need to come out and be honest with the people and tell them how bad a hard brexit will be if it comes to pass

We'll be a long time waiting for that gang to start to get honest about anything.

Best thing about a hard Brexit for here is that the minute it happens, the swing gang will finally be got rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

buried wrote:
    We'll be a long time waiting for that gang to start to get honest about anything.

Best thing about a hard Brexit for here is that the minute it happens, the swing gang will finally be got rid of.

Yeah its all their fault.

First Up wrote: »
    Yeah its all their fault.

That's how it's going to be seen over here.

If they are too stupid or asleep to see that, then to hell with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We can get our food from anywhere - including at home once exporting our own food to EU markets makes no sense anymore. we have plenty thanks!
    The UK has 60 million people and produces enough food for 33 million.

Pretty simple. You won't starve, but thing are about to get lean. Like world-war-rationing, lean. And certain foodstuffs that you take for granted will get really expensive.

I don't know if you've ever tried growing anything, but it takes time. And land. You can't double your output in the space of year, or even five.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Irish government? :confused:
    What have they not told you that they can fully confirm at this point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Oh believe me they'll be blaming every single fuup up for the foreseeable on Brexit. They'll probably blame it for swing gate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

The elite among remainders at last the move vocal mouths aren’t making millions betting against the uk economy and shifting their money abroad etc

The leave ones are doing that and worse

The elite among the remainers don't want Brexit because it signals an end to cheap labour in many industries.

buried wrote:
    That's how it's going to be seen over here.

By who?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The elite among the remainers don't want Brexit because it signals an end to cheap labour in many industries.
    FYP

By who?

Who do you think? Everyone. You have half of rural Ireland wanting to throw them out as it is.

You think when this craic hits and a new recession comes into play over here for the entire rural and urban landscape, that the Irish electorate are going to blame Boris Mogg or Donald Tusk? They'll blame the crew in government here who for the last three years/minus the last 2 weeks said everything would be fine.

buried wrote:
    You think when this craic hits and a new recession comes into play over here for the entire rural and urban landscape, that the Irish electorate are going to blame Boris Mogg or Donald Tusk? They'll blame the crew in government here who for the last three years/minus the last 2 weeks said everything would be fine.

Grand. Who'll take over from them?

buried wrote: »
    By who?

Who do you think? Everyone. You have half of rural Ireland wanting to throw them out as it is.

No they wont the government have done very well in difficult circumstances, Simon Covney has consistently come accross very well

Another gang of eegits. Wont matter to me.
    Seems to matter to you though F.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Someone else. Someone better!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Oh believe me they'll be blaming every single fuup up for the foreseeable on Brexit. They'll probably blame it for swing gate

Say whatever you want, I'd be as critical of the government as any on domestic issues but on Brexit the entire executive have performed admirably in our interests.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As McWilliams rightly points it’s out a country that has no education in its schools whatsoever outside what we did in WWII and how we used to rule the world and no awareness or education of how that is absolutely not the case anymore.
    It's not quite as simplistic as McWilliams draws it S, but there is much in it, particularly among the ordinary British, well, more English folks. They've been regularly ridden roughshod over by London, and for centuries, with the propaganda to back it up.

Every nation has its own propaganda, England, sorry, Britain's didn't switch off after WW2. Lord knows Ireland swam in its own propaganda, under the dual weight of republicanism and Catholicism. Like any propaganda it was useful when it was required, but here we at least mostly see that for the bullshit it was*, and more by luck than judgement, but many if not most British folks have not had that opportunity yet. Ask your average British person and I'll bet the farm the majority will not know that Britain was so broke in 1975(?) they had to go to the IMF for help and the biggest loan that organisation had ever given out up to that date.

And yes, the whole empire thing is understandable from that particular point of view held by many. It's easier to be more circumspect if one is, or sees oneself as the "underdog" escaping that empire as Ireland often has, even though the boot of that same empire was often enough filled with an Irish foot.

What struck me most about the Brexit campaign in the UK was the level of bullshit and inadequacy of argument on both sides of it. No wonder British people were confused no matter where their initial take lay. I've watched interviews with English folks, business men and women that have outlined how it's already started to affect their livelihoods, yet many will also say they voted for Brexit and still support it. It's all too easy to dismiss such people as eejits, but as usual it's more complex than that.

Never mind that unlike us they're not used to referenda. IIRC to date they've only had two put to them to vote on, Brexit to stay/leave the EU and a referendum to join the Common Market in the first place.

All in all it is a sorry mess for Britain and not just them, I really worry about Northern Ireland. They're really being kicked about as a political football, or worse ignored. Again on both sides of that political arena. All in all it's laving many wondering what the hell is politics doing. More worrying the politicians seem equally in the dark.

*we've replaced it with different bullshit, but that's the nature of things.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No they wont the government have done very well in difficult circumstances, Simon Covney has consistently come accross very well

Yeah, I'd agree with you on Covney, should have been given the leadership. Biggest mistake FG have made in decades.
    But that is another example of that crew totally and utterly asleep at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

i didnt say we would close the landbridge by the way. i clearly said using the landbridge or importing from the EU mainland would be slower and therefore more expensive

nice to know you have no retort for my "comedy" anyway

The UK can't grow enough food to feed itself, it's not possible. You'll have to import food from somewhere. You made many predictions in your first post with regards to how things are going to be after brexit. What are you basing all those predictions on? I don't se how, at the moment, you could be so sure of so much.

Id love to know how you know for certian that fianna fail are going to be in governent. Will it be on their own or in a coalition, with Micheal Martin still be leader? Do you have tomorrow's lotto numbers? You seem to know everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Say whatever you want, I'd be as critical of the government as any on domestic issues but on Brexit the entire executive have performed admirably in our interests.

I'd have to agree. The UK has been doing 'We're going to sneeze' for 3 years now, and there is no way we weren't catching a cold from it.

buried wrote:
    Another gang of eegits. Wont matter to me. Seems to matter to you though F.

Well you seem angry enough with them, although I'm not clear about what.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id agree with that. But they have totally bungled housing and to a slightly lesser extent health (among other things) . Once the brexit dust has settled we need an election.

The brexit performance has been great but we still need an election.

Well you seem angry enough with them, although I'm not clear about what.

Well I'll enlighten ya, They are totally and utterly clueless and me and you are paying their wages and pensions for doing Jack $hit

• Advertisement

buried wrote:
    Well I'll enlighten ya, They are totally and utterly clueless and me and you are paying their wages and pensions for doing Jack $hit

Oh right.

So who are you voting for next time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement