Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Brexiteer wrote: »
    Come back to me in a year and tell me about the con again

#AlreadyTradeDealsWith38Countries!!
    All the biggies!
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47213842

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Brexiteer

Danzy wrote: »
    Mostly with countries with tiny economies or far away.

Japan has been a leading global economy for decades, open trade, yet Ireland still imports 3.5 times the value from Britain.

Proximity is more important in exports than agreements and often cost.

ireland was that big because it was close

it's almost the 2020's. proximity isnt as important anymore!

gmisk wrote: »

USA coming

Before the presidential election in 14 months time i reckon - at least a couple of big parts of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

USA coming

There's a joke there somewhere!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

USA coming

Before the presidential election in 14 months time i reckon - at least a couple of big parts of it!

UK imports 6 times more to ireland than it does to china.

Who is the biggies again?

You absolutely need us more than we need you.

• Advertisement

please refer to my earlier post

please refer to my earlier post

The one where it says Only 9% of Irish exports go to Britain and the number is falling steadily year by year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Of course it is. Importing from japan is harder than from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

yeah because goods get shipped over the internet now

that's more hyperbole to be honest.

Most global companies see one market of 65m people, all speaking the same language, using similar goods and subject to the same advertising. Stick your name on the front of a premiership teams shirt and get instant recognition in both countries.

A Korean company selling a toaster wouldn't have one lot destined for the UK and another for Ireland, it all goes in to a warehouse in the UK and the Irish market fulfilled from there. The UK would get no export duties for it other than a bit more on the percentage of the import duties it gets (presuming it gets any, which I don't think it would it the goods came from within the UK).

The same thing would apply to Tesco, M&S and Next, to name but a few. You could argue that it creates jobs in the UK, but not that many, if any.

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    that's more hyperbole to be honest.

Most global companies see one market of 65m people, all speaking the same language, using similar goods and subject to the same advertising. Stick your name on the front of a premiership teams shirt and get instant recognition in both countries.

A Korean company selling a toaster wouldn't have one lot destined for the UK and another for Ireland, it all goes in to a warehouse in the UK and the Irish market fulfilled from there. The UK would get no export duties for it other than a bit more on the percentage of the import duties it gets (presuming it gets any, which I don't think it would it the goods came from within the UK).

The same thing would apply to Tesco, M&S and Next, to name but a few. You could argue that it creates jobs in the UK, but not that many, if any.

It’s not hyperbole. UK sn't even in our top two export destinations. We’re running a massive trade surplus against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Seems Britian's refusal to 'piss off and get on with Brexit' is going to enter the lexicon alá 'boycott' :):)

1555588987-146250-mens-500x600.jpg

https://www.qwertee.com/product/brexiting

Of course it is possible to be critical of the EU - it has massive issues - but its already been demonstrated on this thread factually that is is financially beneficial - not to mention other benefits like free travel, improved protection for workers etc.

Democracy is good, but that doesn't mean we should let the people we vote for have a free reign with the countries finances. All politicians should be subject to checks and balances, but I'm not sure the EU is. Othern then by politicians from member states, who probably all fancy jumping on the eu gravy train at the end of their careers, so are quite happy to see it continue rolling along.

For me, the advantages of the EU, in terms of how it has benefited us personally, is much less financial, but more in terms of the free travel and free movement. This is what really pisses me off with Brexit, is that it was a bunch of old farts who voted for it and yet they have ****ed up the future for the generations below them who are the ones that would really get the benefits from it.
    One positive thing which I think has come out of this is people will be even more weary of "irexit" there seemed to be negligible support for it (despite what Nigel Farage was trying to peddle on Claire Byrne).

The UK leaving is an act of self harm, Ireland leaving would be an act of suicide.

Seems Britian's refusal to 'piss off and get on with Brexit' is going to enter the lexicon alá 'boycott' :):)

1555588987-146250-mens-500x600.jpg

https://www.qwertee.com/product/brexiting

Brectum is another favorite.
    the Orifice from which the brexiter speaks

It’s not hyperbole. UK sn't even in our top two export destinations. We’re running a massive trade surplus against them.

the "You need us more than we need you" certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

No we have a deficit with them. Ireland is one of the few places the UK has a surplus with, which means they export more to us as many international goods are routed to Ireland through the UK. These are already being routed differently, a loss of business to Britain.

No we have a deficit with them. Ireland is one of the few places the UK has a surplus with, which means they export more to us as many international goods are routed to Ireland through the UK. These are already being routed differently, a loss of business to Britain.

Is it really much of a loss though?

Instead of a washing machine being routed from Rotterdam to Peterborough to Dublin, it goes straight to Dublin. There is no value add or taxes the uk can derive from it. It’s very much like the UK exports to the Netherlands and Belgium. A lot of those are exported there for onward shipment elsewhere. If those goods end up in Frankfurt, other than a few jobs, Belgium doesn’t get much value from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is it really much of a loss though?

Instead of a washing machine being routed from Rotterdam to Peterborough to Dublin, it goes straight to Dublin. There is no value add or taxes the uk can derive from it. It’s very much like the UK exports to the Netherlands and Belgium. A lot of those are exported there for onward shipment elsewhere. If those goods end up in Frankfurt, other than a few jobs, Belgium doesn’t get much value from it.

it's a loss to British hauliers, logistics firms and warehousing

. EC-_OZHXkAUNZaG.jpg

lawred2 wrote: »
    it's a loss to British hauliers, logistics firms and warehousing

probably not so much the warehousing, because we are only looking at a potential 8% reduction, but logisitcs yes and that is a real tangible loss.

When you compare the loss to the economy of ten lorries coming to Ireland as opposed to the loss of 1000 50" 4K TVs though, it is much less.

Both countries benefit from the close relationship, that's why I say "You need us more than we need you" is hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

seamus wrote: »
    The UK has 60 million people and produces enough food for 33 million.

Pretty simple. You won't starve, but thing are about to get lean. Like world-war-rationing, lean. And certain foodstuffs that you take for granted will get really expensive.

I don't know if you've ever tried growing anything, but it takes time. And land. You can't double your output in the space of year, or even five.

the UK also EXPORTS £22 billion worth of food & drink. besides, as i said, we can get food from anywhere. world-war-rationing, ridiculous. we already have trade deals with 38 countries and lots more to come
    You should go for a hard brexit it in the morning mate, don't be afraid, it won't even take 3 months for sterling to bounce back I'd say 3 days and the ould pound will be stronger than ever

stop mis-representing what i said, "mate"

Its going to super duper for ye mate best of luck

its not, but it will

First Up wrote: »
    Under a different name I assume as you only started using this one today.

Looks familiar though.......

no, as i said i was only a reader, accidentally due to the fact that a friend is a regular poster who shows me the brexit threads on the site

Bullies don’t like being bullied.

What the average brexiter doesn’t realized they are being bullied and manipulated by their elite classes like Mogg and Johnson et al.

if you feel the need to discreit us based on events 100 years ago and more, it says it all. as for the elite, the government, the baks, the city of london, top business people were all over the remain campaigin in 2015/16. so think again!
    The elite among remainders at last the move vocal mouths aren’t making millions betting against the uk economy and shifting their money abroad etc

The leave ones are doing that and worse

any evidence of who is moving their money abroad and how much?
    Can ye leave sooner than Oct 31st mate

McWilliams disagrees with you but we’re definitely uncoupling from them at a rapid rate. I’d be curious to see how far divergence and ending interdependence can go and how soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

First this.....

- slower or less use of the landbridge will make transit take longer, and imported goods, whether from the UK or the EU, more expensive

Then this......

But....but.....slower imported goods takes longer and is more expensive you said :confused:

First this......

which will make a change from us eating irish horse meat not to mention the African Swine Flu the EU states have at the moment.

Then this.....
    Come back to me in a year and tell me about the con again

#AlreadyTradeDealsWith38Countries!!

4 of the 38 countries are Madagascar, Mauritius, Seychelles and Zimbabwe. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

That's a burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

And here's another....relating to the horse meat scandal.

Alex Ostler-Beech, 43, from Hull, Ulrik Nielsen, 57, from Gentofte, Denmark, and Andrew Sideras, 54, from Southgate, London, have all been charged with fraud offences.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/26/three-men-charged-over-uk-horsemeat-scandal

So it appears it wasn't all the EU!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,173 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Maybe Bo Jo is trying to get a deal, I fear he has been reading The Art Of The Deal and playing it play by play. Trump is in his ear, that's for sure.
    EU will break eventually I think.

EU will break eventually I think.

Why would the lion bow to the fly? And if he did, what message is that sending to the other flies? This is message time, and Britannia will have to be taught, and be seen to have been taught.

Why would the lion bow to the fly? And if he did, what message is that sending to the other flies? This is message time, and Britannia will have to be taught, and be seen to have been taught.

should that sentence not end "By Jingo"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

should that sentence not end "By Jingo"?
    Britannia is going to be taught a lesson by bojo

• Advertisement

Britannia is going to be taught a lesson by bojo

You’re a beef farmer right? Have you read this https://www.ifa.ie/brexit/brexit-ireland/

Do you see the insanity of hoping the UK leaves the Eu tomorrow?

You’re no different to the fruit farmers in the uk who voted for Brexit.

It really is bizarre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement