Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

source is Conservative home and its intended audience is Tories who are a bit queasy about prorogation.

The article itself makes it clear that the UK still does not have enough self awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Everyone in Ireland supports the government's stance on brexit,

Not true, time will show Leo was a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

janfebmar wrote: »
    The Germany economy contracted in the past quarter too, if and when it contracts in the next quarter it will be in official recession.

If the Euro zone economy wasn't such a stuttering entity for so long would Brexit have won, unlikely.

The big story remains the desperate growth rates of the Eurozone and the mass stimulus just to keep it at that.

That is a story that keeps central bankers all over the world up at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How much time weeks, months, years?

What is amusing about the Ireland will implode line is that the EU is more significant a trading partner for the UK than the UK is for us.

So while we may implode, they will also on a bigger scale and to a greater degree if that scenario comes to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,236 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nobody wishes Ill will on the people of Britain. But the reality is there comes a point when a person or a country has to face up to choices it’s made. That point is now upon them.

Unfortunately, for the people you would wish to take the consequences of their actions, an awful lot of decent British people would have to suffer first.

The elite know this only too well, they always knew that this is how it works, go to war - sacrifice their poor patsy foot soldiers and cannon fodder to defend their interests.
    Same with Brexit, sacrifice those most vulnerable in pursuit of what? Notional sovereignty and a trade deal they will crawl back for whatever happens and claim 'they showed the EU', cheered on by idiots in the UK and here no doubt.
    Plenty in Britain always knew of this:

Base Details - Siegfried Sassoon.

IF I were fierce, and bald, and short of breath,
    I’d live with scarlet Majors at the Base,
    And speed glum heroes up the line to death.
    You’d see me with my puffy petulant face,
    Guzzling and gulping in the best hotel, 5
    Reading the Roll of Honour. ‘Poor young chap,’
    I’d say—‘I used to know his father well;
    Yes, we’ve lost heavily in this last scrap.’
    And when the war is done and youth stone dead,
    I’d toddle safely home and die—in bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Well I know it. The sad scary part is where will those poor regular brits both sides of the debate turn their anger to when it all goes horribly wrong.
    It will manifest.
    I predict dark days and much violence to come on the streets of dear old blighty

Unfortunately, for the people you would wish to take the consequences of their actions, an awful lot of decent British people would have to suffer first.

The elite know this only too well, they always knew that this is how it works, go to war - sacrifice their poor patsy foot soldiers and cannon fodder to defend their interests.
    Same with Brexit, sacrifice those most vulnerable in pursuit of what? Notional sovereignty and a trade deal they will crawl back for whatever happens and claim 'they showed the EU', cheered on by idiots in the UK and here no doubt.
    Plenty in Britain always knew of this:

Base Details - Siegfried Sassoon.

IF I were fierce, and bald, and short of breath,
    I’d live with scarlet Majors at the Base,
    And speed glum heroes up the line to death.
    You’d see me with my puffy petulant face,
    Guzzling and gulping in the best hotel, 5
    Reading the Roll of Honour. ‘Poor young chap,’
    I’d say—‘I used to know his father well;
    Yes, we’ve lost heavily in this last scrap.’
    And when the war is done and youth stone dead,
    I’d toddle safely home and die—in bed.

The EU that Thatcher played such a large role in designing, that Cameron and Osborne led the Remain camp with near every CEO and Banker banking them.

Whose trade deals are the most aggressively free market and pro corporation in the world, their trade deal with America was considered even too much for Trump.

The main crux of Brexit was sovereignty and where it lies.

Talk of the elite only works if you pretend that the EU isn't Thatcherite type dominated and radically free market.

In many ways it is Rees Moggs secret fantasy.

Danzy wrote: »
    The EU that Thatcher played such a large role in designing, that Cameron and Osborne led the Remain camp with near every CEO and Banker banking them.

Whose trade deals are the most aggressively free market and pro corporation in the world, their trade deal with America was considered even too much for Trump.

The main crux of Brexit was sovereignty and where it lies.

Talk of the elite only works if you pretend that the EU isn't Thatcherite type dominated and radically free market.

In many ways it is Rees Moggs secret fantasy.

That's the thing Danzy...if they were able to take something like the Commonwealth and create a 'Union' of their own, it would be a mirror image or even 'a highly concentrated' form of the EU.

That's the thing Danzy...if they were able to take something like the Commonwealth and create a 'Union' of their own, it would be a mirror image or even 'a highly concentrated' form of the EU.

This is the end of the Tory party. This has Cummings fingerprints all over it.

https://twitter.com/jgforsyth/status/1167719775230922752?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

No mate, time will show that he was correct to screw the t brits

He didn’t screw the brits. He’s protecting Ireland’s interests.
    It’s not about brit bashing at all.

The dogs on the street know he’s a Tory in all but name. Born in Britain he’d be in the Conservative party now.

The uk is going tru leaders faster than a new baby goes tru nappies

This is the end of the Tory party. This has Cummings fingerprints all over it.

https://twitter.com/jgforsyth/status/1167719775230922752?s=21

The coup becomes a putsch. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭interactive

If the U.K. leaves without a deal, as it will, the EU needs to do two things.

1) massively increase tarrifs on the U.K. as a punitive measure for not paying its dues and to bring it to its knees. In particular a 1000% tarrif on services is warranted.
    2) block all immigration from the U.K. the starving population will try to leave in their millions. The exception would be financial, IT and other skilled workers coming to Ireland and Germany and entrepreneurs fleeing with their capital.
    3) when the U.K. comes crawling back impose extremely harsh settlement terms - take over North Sea oil, impose the euro, end London as a financial hub and extract much higher dues for two generations.

Never ever ever ever going to happen
    This is a perfect example of someone with blind allegiance to the EU.
    "The EU is good, everything they do is good, im a good EU citizen, they will look out for my interests"

So the EU puts on high tariffs, no problem , the UK does the same to EU Cars, the German economy is on the verge of a recession, what do you think will happen if they can't sell Cars to the UK?
    The UK puts high tariffs on French wine, well there goes billions from the frence economy, they love a protest over there, the farmers wills be on the war path as the grapes wither on the vine.
    Once the UK public get a taste for USA/Aussy wine , be hard for the EU brands to win them back, see prohibition USA, Irish whiskey was number 1 before , but lost out to Scotch.

Immigration, no problem, mass deportation of illegal immigrants back over the Chanel, will free up jobs and billions in welfare money.

Once the Uk is out of the EU and the sky does not fall down , expect other EU countries to bail, we will hear the first rumbles of exit talk from other countries by January

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The UK puts high tariffs on French wine, well there goes billions from the frence economy, they love a protest over there, the farmers wills be on the war path as the grapes wither on the vine.

Have you thought this fully through?

You want to raise the price of french wine for brits who like drinking it?

"The EU is good, everything they do is good, im a good EU citizen, they will look out for my interests"

So the EU puts on high tariffs, no problem , the UK does the same to EU Cars, the German economy is on the verge of a recession, what do you think will happen if they can't sell Cars to the UK?
    Once the UK public get a taste for USA/Aussy wine , be hard for the EU brands to win them back, see prohibition USA, Irish whiskey was number 1 before , but lost out to Scotch.

Immigration, no problem, mass deportation of illegal immigrants back over the Chanel, will free up jobs and billions in welfare money.

Once the Uk is out of the EU and the sky does not fall down , expect other EU countries to bail, we will hear the first rumbles of exit talk from other countries by January

If you genuinely believe even one country in the EU is looking over at brexit an thinking ‘that’s looks fun. Let’s have a bit of that’ you’re very much mistaken.

Gwan and say Ireland’s next. I could do with a giggle

If you genuinely believe even one country in the EU is looking over at brexit an thinking ‘that’s looks fun. Let’s have a bit of that’ you’re very much mistaken.

Its going to happen , we all know its going to happen , its inevitable now that dissent is growing EU wide to the path that the EU leaders have sent us down.
    My guess would be that Italys new government will be a total disaster and collapse within 6 months, Salvini will come roaring back with a huge majority and pull the plug on EU membership, and then the fat lady sings.

If the U.K. leaves without a deal, as it will, the EU needs to do two things.

1) massively increase tarrifs on the U.K. as a punitive measure for not paying its dues and to bring it to its knees. In particular a 1000% tarrif on services is warranted.
    2) block all immigration from the U.K. the starving population will try to leave in their millions. The exception would be financial, IT and other skilled workers coming to Ireland and Germany and entrepreneurs fleeing with their capital.
    3) when the U.K. comes crawling back impose extremely harsh settlement terms - take over North Sea oil, impose the euro, end London as a financial hub and extract much higher dues for two generations.

Why haven't ye left mate, go now and we will follow ye in a couple of weeks it's going to be great

Its going to happen , we all know its going to happen , its inevitable now that dissent is growing EU wide to the path that the EU leaders have sent us down.
    My guess would be that Italys new government will be a total disaster and collapse within 6 months, Salvini will come roaring back with a huge majority and pull the plug on EU membership, and then the fat lady sings.
    Ur right there is a Q forming at the exit door of the EU, but the t Brits are holding up everyone from leaving, could ye go to the back of the Q or better still just go tru the exit door don't be afraid

• Advertisement

Its going to happen , we all know its going to happen ,

We do?

Who is the 'next' credible exit? Can you show us anything other than wishful thinking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The fact that there was a referendum held and the voting majority chose Brexit seems that have been forgotten.

Democracy ladies and gentlemen. It doesn't always work out in your favour.

The next time there is an opportunity to vote here people would do well to actually turn up and use theirs .

That poster who got banned made a valid and overlooked point . With the UK gone from the EU vote the power of balance swings towards France and the Med. Not good for Ireland

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The fact that there was a referendum held and the voting majority chose Brexit seems that have been forgotten.

The next time there is an opportunity to vote here people would do well to actually turn up and use theirs .
    Yeah I agree, 3 years have past, why are ye still here, please go

The left are like children, having a temper tantrum for not getting their way, pathetic stuff

Yeah I agree, 3 years have past, why are ye still here, please go

Not long now. You just want it all over and done with since the premier League is back on

The left are like children, having a temper tantrum for not getting their way, pathetic stuff

Parliament is porogued and MP's have been told they will not be allowed to stand if they do not support it? We are watching the 3rd PM try to get out of the EU.

Whose having temper tantrums again?

So the leader of the opposition JC a brexiteer is holding up brexit, that doesn't make since

Parliament is porogued and MP's have been told they will not be allowed to stand if they do not support it? We are watching the 3rd PM try to get out of the EU.

Whose having temper tantrums again?

The left and/ or remainers

The left and/ or remainers

Seems to me they are sticking to their principle and Leavers are forcing others to stick to the Leave principle. When you have to force it, you are losing it.

• Advertisement

You showed your hand there

Brexit isn’t a left or right issue in at sense whatsoever. It has been co opted by elements of the far right to spread a hateful divisive agenda

But I’m sure you know nothing about that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement