Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any tips or tricks for rainy summer hols cycling?

Options
  • 02-07-2019 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi

Had a cycle trip organised abroad, now turns out it's going to be rainy.

My own viewpoint has been that you can wrap up, but you will get wet. Perhaps good rainproof material will keep you dry on a half hour commute, but if you're on holidays you're out all day, getting wet is inevitable. So I was looking for tips on that situation.

I did have an idea of actually not wearing any rain gear at all, but carrying a bag with two towels and I've started with some of my own (partially imagined) tips:

* Minimise loitering, you get cold then
    * to build heat cycle hard, the uphills are good for this
    * failing uphills, keep to low grinding gears. Above all, avoid downhills.
    * every 2 hours so, find shelter and dry up with a towel.
    * rest and get ready for next outing.
    * as you're not wearing rain gear, you might dry up faster.

If those are useless, please say so. Maybe I should give in and admit cycling and rain will never get along?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

stabeek wrote: »
    Hi

My own viewpoint has been that you can wrap up, but you will get wet. Perhaps good rainproof material will keep you dry on a half hour commute, but if you're on holidays you're out all day, getting wet is inevitable. So I was looking for tips on that situation.

I did have an idea of actually not wearing any rain gear at all, but carrying a bag with two towels and I've started with some of my own (partially imagined) tips:

* Minimise loitering, you get cold then
    * to build heat cycle hard, the uphills are good for this
    * failing uphills, keep to low grinding gears. Above all, avoid downhills.
    * every 2 hours so, find shelter and dry up with a towel.
    * rest and get ready for next outing.
    * as you're not wearing rain gear, you might dry up faster.

If those are useless, please say so. Maybe I should give in and admit cycling and rain will never get along?

Cheers!

If you don’t have one, get a rain cap to keep the rain off your glasses/eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

good one, RobbieMD, thx!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Any idea of the temperatures and will you have a chance to change and dry clothes in the evening?

If it is going to be reasonably warm and you get to change into dry clothes when you get in, I wouldn't be too bothered about getting wet. I tend to go long sleeve base layer under short sleeve jersey and bring either a waterproof gilet or light jacket if I'm getting cold and for longer descents. I also nearly always wear overshoes on a long day as my feet rarely get too hot but my toes cramp when cold.

If it's going to be cold and wet, more layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

thanks smacl for the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

"This weather is so zesty and refreshing'

Not a joke response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Are you talking high temperature monsoon style raining? Just from what you said about not considering any rain gear at all...

I'd be considering the treacherous road conditions in that sort of rain, especially with spot flooding consider holes, rocks, drains and general road surfaces and obstacles that you just can't see, not to mention your own and the visibility of other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Grinding a low gear is probably counter productive, a smooth fast cadence will keep the muscles and joints moving and use less energy.

I did an Eroica in terrible conditions and had to deal with a 44/26 lowest gear and got cold.

I'm a fan of the gillet if you have to deal with long downhill stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hi

Had a cycle trip organised abroad...
    You don't say what type of terrain? Very high mountain descents can be very cold if you're already wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Rear mudguard/ass saver. Overshoes.
    Most wet days in Ireland it doesn’t rain all the time - showers, and then dry out again if moving. Not sure where you’re headed though.
    As others said, gilet or light rain jacket for heavier stuff.
    It won’t be as bad as you think (I hopeðŸ˜ðŸ˜)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Bright lights. Cars don't see well in the rain.

Not caring about being wet is fine. But downhills in the wet are COLD. I'd wear a rain jacket just to keep the wind off, accepting that it won't keep me dry. Better than a gilet, and only marginally bulkier. Consider leg warmers (the kind you wear in autumn)...again, a cold wind on wet legs is a miserable business. And shoe covers for a similar reason. And full-finger gloves. Having had some near-hypothermic descents on alpine cols in the rain, full winter gear is so not out of place.

You won't stay dry. But you might stay warm(er).

Ortlieb or similar bags, if it's touring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If touring, a raincape is ideal. Also, when and where are you going? The forecast can change...

Advertisement