Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nVidia Super Thread

Options
  • 02-07-2019 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

My 1080ti is sad :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You still have 1 of the best gaming cards on the market. Can easily skip this gen and maybe even next gen.

I'll be going for a 2060 super unless Navi can beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just copying my post over:

Tech Power Up with the most relevant graphs IMHO
    RTX 2060 Super @ 1080p
    relative-performance_1920-1080.png

RTX 2070 Super @ 1440p
    relative-performance_2560-1440.png

Both cards gain ~8.5% through overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I'm tempted. Do You think will they go down €€€ around christmas time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Be interesting to see the 2080 super, might finally have an upgrade from my 1080ti

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

yoshiktk wrote: »
    I'm tempted. Do You think will they go down €€€ around christmas time?

It's a paper launch just to screw with AMD, so I wouldn't expect full-on availability until September/October and then theres the fact current gen Nvidia cards don't tend to lose value so

dontcount.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Be interesting to see the 2080 super, might finally have an upgrade from my 1080ti

Are they set to release one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Asus have a trade-in scheme running. But the trade value is poor like GameStop or something. Could be a U.S. only thing as well.

jebidiah wrote: »

Yeah there's certainly a 2080 super coming, no news on a 2080ti super though

cursai wrote: »
    Asus have a trade-in scheme running. But the trade value is poor like GameStop or something. Could be a U.S. only thing as well.

It's UK-only.

It's not a TERRIBLE deal if you're on GTX 1070/1070 Ti/1080 - £180-210 towards a 2060 or 2070. Plus you would be able to do it like this:
    1. Buy RTX card.
    2. Try to sell old GPU.
    3. If it doesn't sell before the claim period, send it to ASUS and get a guaranteed cash sum.

But I wouldn't take advantage of the offer until prices drop to compete with Super cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

The Asus model prices are generally much higher so it kinda negates the rebate compared to other brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The only reason I'm upgrading is that I'll be doing a brand new build around Zen 2. Other than that I'd be keeping my 1070, I still might.
    If the 5700 XT isn't too far behind 2070 Super (probably will be) I might get that, just for a change.

To be honest the GPU market as a whole is bucket of shíte anyway. Maybe that's just a byproduct of such an exciting CPU market.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jebidiah wrote: »

They will release a cut down 2080ti if AMD release some higher end cards. Until then they can just sit on the reject chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

cursai wrote: »

It seems like decent value on one hand, but brutal on the other. From looking at their website, certain classes all carry the same value.

EG. I'm pretty sure I saw cards like GTX980Ti with the same trade-in as GTX970.

Hopefully that was just a glitch with the website.

It seems like decent value on one hand, but brutal on the other. From looking at their website, certain classes all carry the same value.

EG. I'm pretty sure I saw cards like GTX980Ti with the same trade-in as GTX970.

Hopefully that was just a glitch with the website.

It's not a glitch, they've very broadly categorized GPUs into different price brackets.
    Hence why a 1070 & 1080 have the same trade-in value to ASUS...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

When the 2060 and 2070 supers came out did the originals drop in price? I'm going to Berlin in 3 weeks after the 2080 super is due out and I'll be on lookout for a bargain 2080 while there if the Super isn't a worthy jump.

Why a bargain 2080? Just get a 2070 Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

.G. wrote: »
    When the 2060 and 2070 supers came out did the originals drop in price? I'm going to Berlin in 3 weeks after the 2080 super is due out and I'll be on lookout for a bargain 2080 while there if the Super isn't a worthy jump.

I've seen some sales now, in general it seems to be:

2070 costs the same as 2060S
    2070S costs the same as 2080

Not sure if there are enough "originals" around for any really great deals.

To be honest, at the moment this seems to be a bit pointless. The price/performance levels look to be similar, so where is the value?.

4k 60hz gaming that's why. Want to go as beefy as I can so I don't need to buy another one for a good few years. 2080 to seems out of reach so 80 super was the play if they have enough value for the price difference.

Edit: haven't looked into performance levels of any of the lower ones to be honest, was just aiming for highest tier I can and assumed it's better than its siblings. If the 2070 Super is the same more or less as a 2080 I'll look into that.

Yeah, the cheapest 2080 is £125 more than the cheapest 2070S, for a few extra frames....absolutely not worth it. Either get a 2070S and get 2080 performance for less, or wait for the 2080 Super to be released and wander towards 2080Ti territory for the same price as the older version.

If you're gaming at 4K the 2080 Super wouldn't be a bad investment.

2080 Super benchmark leaks have it pegged as only 4-5% faster - nowhere close to 2080 Ti level.

• Advertisement

Ah, thought it would've performed better than that. Didn't expect actual 2080Ti performance but thought it would meet it half-way.

Yeah saw an article yesterday myself which had leaks of 2080 super benchmarks, while unconfirmed, they had it at maximum 8% better than the standard 2080 so miles off a ti which are still crazy money.

Thanks lads.

Well that's a pure bs move by Nvidia to keep the 2080ti relevant, they significantly upgraded the 2060 and 2070 but barely do the 2080, getting real real sick of the bull**** at the high end at this stage

Well that's a pure bs move by Nvidia to keep the 2080ti relevant, they significantly upgraded the 2060 and 2070 but barely do the 2080, getting real real sick of the bull**** at the high end at this stage

2080 Ti isn't a consumer GPU in fairness.
    It's a failed enterprise GPU & should not be on our radars.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    2080 Ti isn't a consumer GPU in fairness.
    It's a failed enterprise GPU & should not be on our radars.

Well they named it the 2080ti and historically the ti's have been consumer cards, but I agree with you, they just used the ti moniker in hopes to sell more than the titans do.

RTX 2080 Super review roundup

8% faster than regular 2080.
    Draws more power than 2080 Ti.

Also seeing on OCUK that the exact same model 2080S v 2080 is almost €100 more expensive....no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Great to see nvidia still price goughing..I was going to get this card for my sons machine..but only 4-9% difference between the super and the FE 2080 im not going to bother.
    I would be pretty sure now with amd retiring the radeon vii that they will have to bring out something soon to compete at that price point,im loving the rdna 2 roadmap and im sure it will blow the 2080ti out of the water.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Great to see nvidia still price goughing..I was going to get this card for my sons machine..but only 4-9% difference between the super and the FE 2080 im not going to bother.
    I would be pretty sure now with amd retiring the radeon vii that they will have to bring out something soon to compete at that price point,im loving the rdna 2 roadmap and im sure it will blow the 2080ti out of the water.

Yeah I wouldn't bother with either of the 2080 cards.

Get a 2070 Super or RX 5700 XT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Pretty disappointing benchmarks for the 2080 Super.

so..

2060S = 2070
    2070S = 2080
    2080S = 2080+

I think I'll wait for the next generation (have a 1060 at the moment), or the next price drop.

Advertisement