Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THR - Heart Rate Zones

Options
  • 02-07-2019 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi

I have done an FTP or is it call a FTHR test on the turbo the last day and I thought my bike computer would have given me and Heart Rate Zones but has not. So how do I Calculate my Heart Rate Zones?

I done the 20 minute test. Results was for the 5 minute effort average HR was 157 with max of 166. For the 20 minute effort my average HR was 163 with max of 175.

I am 42 years old. I have a plan to follow and am training with Heart rate so what to do it right. Any help will be greatly apprenticed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Those numbers sound about right for your age.

Ignore the 5 minute numbers.

Take the 163 as a reasonably accurate threshold figure.

You can work out your zones using an online calculator.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/cycling-hr

To be more accurate, try and use the average figure from the last 15 minutes of the 20 minute test. It will be probably be a bit nearer to 165bpm.

Happy training.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I started, and stopped.

HR training is just too inaccurate to be useful. Do a hill climb on Wednesday and then again at the same pace on Friday but wear an extra jersey the second time. Watch your BPM rise by 8-10. Same for being unrecovered. Then there's cardiac drift....

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Thanks crossword and G1032 - so taking my LHTL at 165, when i use your link crossword i get the below
    Zone 1 0 to 133
    Zone 2 134 to 148
    Zone 3 149 to 154
    Zone 4 155 to 164
    Zone 5 165 and above

when i use G1032 link it comes out
    Zone 1 0 to 112
    Zone 2 113 to 137
    Zone 3 138 to 155
    Zone 4 156 to 173
    Zone 5 174 and above.

Which one would be correct or are they different ways to do it and just use one and just stick to that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Yes there are different ways of calculating the zones..

If that's the way the numbers have come out I would say the second set would be more accurate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement