Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding JobPath by signing off JSA

Options
  • 02-07-2019 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Asking for sibling who has no boards account and i've convinced them this place is good for advice:

"Hi. I have been unemployed since July last year and claiming JSA. I've interacted with Intreo for the last 9 months and really haven't found it helpful with acquiring employment.

I'm coming up on 12 months unemployed and believe I may soon have to start engaging with Jobpath. I've read the stories online and I really don't want to have to interact with them. I really don't want to have them send out my CV on my behalf willy-nilly, nor have them contacting any future potential employer.

Was thinking of just dropping my JBA claim for a term (maybe 6 months) and starting from scratch again with local social welfare office with another chance (12 month period) at getting a job before crossing paths with Jobpath.

Would this work do you think?

Of course I'm working hard to get any type of work in the meantime!

Reason for this is I've suffered from poor mental health in the past and i'm afraid the negative experience will cause a relapse. My resilience is already quite low due to failed attempts at jobseeking".

TIA for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If I were you I would apply for disability Allowance due to your poor mental health preventing you from being available for full time work.
    Fill in the application form and then apply for SWA while you wait for your application to be processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Plugguy

550sheep wrote: »
    Asking for sibling who has no boards account and i've convinced them this place is good for advice:

"Hi. I have been unemployed since July last year and claiming JSA. I've interacted with Intreo for the last 9 months and really haven't found it helpful with acquiring employment.

I'm coming up on 12 months unemployed and believe I may soon have to start engaging with Jobpath. I've read the stories online and I really don't want to have to interact with them. I really don't want to have them send out my CV on my behalf willy-nilly, nor have them contacting any future potential employer.

Was thinking of just dropping my JBA claim for a term (maybe 6 months) and starting from scratch again with local social welfare office with another chance (12 month period) at getting a job before crossing paths with Jobpath.

Reason for this is I've suffered from poor mental health in the past and i'm afraid the negative experience will cause a relapse. My resilience is already quite low due to failed attempts at jobseeking".

TIA for any advice

https://mattiemcgrath.ie/winding-down-of-jobpath-and-turas-nua-is-a-very-welcome-development-mattie-mcgrath/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LW3112

550sheep wrote: »

TIA for any advice

You may be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Could you survive financially if you discontinued your JSA claim? As it is means tested, surely this would cause you hardship?

Jobpath has rightly been criticised for being a waste of tax payer money. However, the really bad horror stories are mostly isolated incidents, and the majority of complaints are usually that it's a waste of time and incompetent.

If you are genuinely looking for work, why not give it a shot? You have nothing to lose by engaging. If they try to force you into unsuitable work, you can always sign off at that stage if its an option for you.

Don't give up your entitlements prematurely because of other people's bad experiences.

Advertisement