Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RATE MY TEAM 19/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,428 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Just a note on Man City and clean sheets...

Last year they hit 10 (50% of their clean sheets) in the final 13 games when they were in sensational form as they were fighting off a strong Liverpool challenge. Fair to say, not conceding was fore to their mind as they were winning plenty of 1-0 games, with a couple of 2-0 in these games.

In the previous 25 PL games, they had 10 clean sheets.

With things unsettled at the back at the minute, their tough opening fixtures (in the sense of teams who like to attack) of West Ham, Spurs & Bournemouth - I genuinely wouldnt be rushing to get any City defenders in at a premium who have little to no attacking threat.

My advice - stear away from City defenders.

I'd agree with this, I'm unsure about having any city at all from the start, I expect WH to start very well, thats a real tough game. Spurs will also be tough. Time enough to bring them in then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Had a few attempts and have come back to this:
    3-4-3

Foster - (McCarthy)
    Coleman VDijk Lacaselles (Dunk Diop)
    Salah BSilva Mane Sissoko Tielemans
    Vardy King Ings

KevIRL wrote: »
    Current draft

Ryan(Button)
    Robbo VVD Azpi Cahill Lundstram
    Salah Sterling Perez Barkley Dendoncker
    Kane Deeney Greenwood

Thoughts? May swap a pool def for City, dont like having only one City player. Not sure I like Greenwood, maybe Wickham instead?

I really like that team, really like it
    I'd have Wesley over Deeney and Wickham over Greenwood. Wesley migth give you something to upgrade Barkley?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,885 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

km79 wrote: »
    You probably won’t want to see the captaincy poll this week so
    Or watch the Liverpool match ......

I will. Sweating on that liverpool clean sheet.
    It will be interesting to see how I fare.
    It could go one of two ways!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Just a note on Man City and clean sheets...

Last year they hit 10 (50% of their clean sheets) in the final 13 games when they were in sensational form as they were fighting off a strong Liverpool challenge. Fair to say, not conceding was fore to their mind as they were winning plenty of 1-0 games, with a couple of 2-0 in these games.

In the previous 25 PL games, they had 10 clean sheets.

With things unsettled at the back at the minute, their tough opening fixtures (in the sense of teams who like to attack) of West Ham, Spurs & Bournemouth - I genuinely wouldnt be rushing to get any City defenders in at a premium who have little to no attacking threat.

My advice - stear away from City defenders.

They went through a phase of conceding late on when the game was won (early season)
    But in the run in towards the end of the season Double city defence was mint - Ederson - Laporte.
    Lots of Narrow wins plus Laporte even scored and assisted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

VVD played 10 more games than TAA and only outscored him by 23 points. If he stays fit and plays most games, I think TAA could have a monster season. I'm trying to fit both of them in now.

There's some important factors though(from someone who had TAA+Robbo but now has VVD+Robbo). TAA has looked dodgy enough defensively throughout pre-season. I'd fancy him to start on Friday, but he's not nailed in the same way VVD and Robbo are. Gomez can play RB. Also, as pointed out, TAA tends to do well against weaker teams, and mostly at home. GW1 is nice, but after that, Newcastle at home, and maybe Leicester at home, are the only fixtures where you might be confident of a big score from him in the first 13 gameweeks. There's a chance he could be dropped for some of the more difficult fixtures as well. However, 'Pool then have a superb fixture run from gw14 onwards. Also, it should be noted that VVD's attacking output improved in the latter part of last season, and as a 'Pool fan who's watched all their pre-season games, he looks to be carrying a decent attacking threat from set pieces going in to this season.

Current draft

Ryan(Button)
    Kane Deeney Greenwood

Thoughts? May swap a pool def for City, dont like having only one City player. Not sure I like Greenwood, maybe Wickham instead?

A lot are going for this set up. Leaves zero bench though pins your hopes on the three big hitters.

If you wanted more city you could go KDB instead of sterling, and Bsilva instead of Barkley?

GBX wrote: »
    Had a few attempts and have come back to this:
    3-4-3

Foster - (McCarthy)
    Coleman VDijk Lacaselles (Dunk Diop)
    Salah BSilva Mane Sissoko Tielemans
    Vardy King Ings

Not bad like the Ings pick.
    He is always decent until he is injured. Fixtures OK.

If I was going your structure I would get a 4.0 instead of Diop.
    Then maybe get Ake/KWP instead of Lascelles?

Oh and Montoya could be better value than Dunk as he will be playing wing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I will. Sweating on that liverpool clean sheet.
    It will be interesting to see how I fare.
    It could go one of two ways!

There's probably more than 2 ways you should be considering, 4 at least:

Liverpool CS, your upside is ~6points (most people will have double Pool def)
    Liverpool concede, you shouldn't lose too much ground.
    Salah explodes, high captaincy...you're fcuked.
    Salah blanks, your captain explodes, you're laughing.

It's not the CS that I would be sweating on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

manual_man wrote: »
    There's some important factors though(from someone who had TAA+Robbo but now has VVD+Robbo). TAA has looked dodgy enough defensively throughout pre-season. I'd fancy him to start on Friday, but he's not nailed in the same way VVD and Robbo are. Gomez can play RB. Also, as pointed out, TAA tends to do well against weaker teams, and mostly at home. GW1 is nice, but after that, Newcastle at home, and maybe Leicester at home, are the only fixtures where you might be confident of a big score from him in the first 13 gameweeks. There's a chance he could be dropped for some of the more difficult fixtures as well. However, 'Pool then have a superb fixture run from gw14 onwards. Also, it should be noted that VVD's attacking output improved in the latter part of last season, and as a 'Pool fan who's watched all their pre-season games, he looks to be carrying a decent attacking threat from set pieces going in to this season.

Great post, you've swayed me back towards Robertson again. Not that it took much convincing, he was probably my favourite FPL player last season.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    There's probably more than 2 ways you should be considering, 4 at least:

Liverpool CS, your upside is ~6points (most people will have double Pool def)
    Liverpool concede, you shouldn't lose too much ground.
    Salah explodes, high captaincy...you're fcuked.
    Salah blanks, your captain explodes, you're laughing.

It's not the CS that I would be sweating on.

Fair points considering captaining TAA as well I just think clean sheet, assist, plus bonus.
    Salah scores and a lot of times he does not get any bonus.

You are right though a Salah hat-trick and liverpool concede, I could be in serious trouble. Unless Kane/Bournemouth go mad.

I think it is worth the risk considering the fixture.
    Plus Salah is likely to be subbed on 70/60 ish mark if the game is won early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Alisson (Button)

Kelly - Holebas - Robertson - Duffy (Diop)

Perez - Bernardo - Salah (c) - Sigurdsson (Romeo)

King - Kane (Haller)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭mickey15ie

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Why is Wan-Bissaka on the bench? His too pricey for a sub defender. Dunk is 4.5 and looks like his Leicester bond.

On bench for the Chelsea game

Is that not a positive though that TAA could be dropped for the difficult fixtures, as liverpool are more likely to concede in them anyway?

This is the way I see it

Nowich at home easy game on paper (TAA starts)
    Saints away should win that - (TAA starts)
    Arsenal - (Gomez likely to start RB)
    Burnley away - (a rested Trent could start - doubtful - Burnley attack awkward )
    Newcastle home - magpies will set up to defend - (so Trent starts)
    Chelsea away - (Gomez likely starter RB)
    Sheffield United away will set up to defend - (Trent a likely starter)

Is that not a positive though that TAA could be dropped for the difficult fixtures, as liverpool are more likely to concede in them anyway?

This is the way I see it

Nowich at home easy game on paper (TAA starts)
    Saints away should win that - (TAA starts)
    Arsenal - (Gomez likely to start RB)
    Burnley away - (a rested Trent could start - doubtful - Burnley attack awkward )
    Newcastle home - magpies will set up to defend - (so Trent starts)
    Chelsea away - (Gomez likely starter RB)
    Sheffield United away will set up to defend - (Trent a likely starter)

I don't think it's a positive. You don't want a 7m player not starting and maybe coming on for a one pointer.

I don't think it's a positive. You don't want a 7m player not starting and maybe coming on for a one pointer.

Defenders less likely to come on unless there is an injury.

If you have a half decent sub in case of a no show you should be alright more often than not.

Last season TAA was subbed on - in only 2 PL games.
    He was subbed off in 7 PL games

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trent-alexander-arnold/detaillierteleistungsdaten/spieler/314353/plus/1

Defenders less likely to come on unless there is an injury.

If you have a half decent sub in case of a no show you should be alright more often than not.

I'd disagree. In most cases your sub won't be very good. Look, all the same TAA could be very good. Maybe he starts most games and his attacking threat is undeniable. I just think the argument is better for Robbo and VVD starting out. Gameweek 14 onwards is another matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Another counter argument to all of this - at point does TAA NOT get dropped for big games? Surely he needs experience in these big games, and Klopp eventually keeps faith in him. It's his 3rd season in the PL now, and has played in a CL semi final vs Barcelona, and a CL final. He also ended the season brilliantly.

In fairness, I'm probably only making this argument to justify his selection in my team!

I'd disagree. In most cases your sub won't be very good. Look, all the same TAA could be very good. Maybe he starts most games and his attacking threat is undeniable. I just think the argument is better for Robbo and VVD starting out. Gameweek 14 onwards is another matter

More secure I suppose with the VVD, Robertson combo.
    In fairness many seem to be thinking the same after the City game on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Final team now almost I think :P

Heaton
    Robertson---VVD---Dunk
    Salah---Sterling--Barkley---Perez
    Kane---Wilson---Long

Bench: Button---Hayden---Lundstram---Kelly

Main worry in starters is Long; Plus not sure on Hayden as best 4.5 mid...any thoughts?

• Advertisement

petros1980 wrote: »
    Final team now almost I think :P

Heaton
    Robertson---VVD---Dunk
    Salah---Sterling--Barkley---Perez
    Kane---Wilson---Long

Bench: Button---Hayden---Lundstram---Kelly

Main worry in starters is Long; Plus not sure on Hayden as best 4.5 mid...any thoughts?

Dendocker seems to be the 4.5m mid of choice.

If you really wanted to upgrade long - you could go albrighton instead of Perez.
    Locadia/Murray or King instead of Long.

Albrighton flying it preseason

More changes, getting closer to the final version I feel

Fab (McGovern)
    Digne- Coleman-Robbo-VVD-Zinchinko
    Siggy-Salah-Perez-Fraser (Dedonkey)
    Auba (Wesley-Wickham)

Could go with Kane instead of Auba yet

I think Kane along with Salah and Sterling weakens the team too much so I think I'll go without him and hope Vardy can match him. I've gone back to double Pool defence, it just makes sense.

Pope
    Robertson VVD Montoya
    Salah Sterling Perez Barkley
    Vardy Wilson Deeney

Button Cahill Kelly Dendoncker

Montoya is my punt now, 3 nice opening fixtures and will reassess him and Brighton after that. No Spurs or Arsenal attacking cover is a bit of a worry but you can't have them all.

I think Kane along with Salah and Sterling weakens the team too much so I think I'll go without him and hope Vardy can match him. I've gone back to double Pool defence, it just makes sense.

Pope
    Robertson VVD Montoya
    Salah Sterling Perez Barkley
    Vardy Wilson Deeney

Button Cahill Kelly Dendoncker

Montoya is my punt now, 3 nice opening fixtures and will reassess him and Brighton after that. No Spurs or Arsenal attacking cover is a bit of a worry but you can't have them all.

I like that team.
    m, plus you have some sort of bench as well.

Nearly tempted to get Trossard instead of Barkley - nice fixtures fulcrum of Brighton team set pieces.
    But then you would have two Brighton starters not sure anyone would want that!

Montoya playing wingback he could be this years Doherty (Docherty as most of the English FPL people say)

Green&Red wrote: »
    More changes, getting closer to the final version I feel

Fab (McGovern)
    Digne- Coleman-Robbo-VVD-Zinchinko
    Siggy-Salah-Perez-Fraser (Dedonkey)
    Auba (Wesley-Wickham)

Could go with Kane instead of Auba yet

Not sure on the double Everton defence considering thier pre-season form.
    Lovely fixtures though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Big mac and fries

Team at the moment is

de Gea
    TAA---VVD-- Coleman--Ake
    Sterling--De Bruyne---Perez
    Kane---King---Haller

Bench: McGovern---Jorginho---Lundstram---Dendoncker

Any comments would be appreciated

I like that team.
    m, plus you have some sort of bench as well.

Nearly tempted to get Trossard instead of Barkley - nice fixtures fulcrum of Brighton team set pieces.
    But then you would have two Brighton starters not sure anyone would want that!

Montoya playing wingback he could be this years Doherty (Docherty as most of the English FPL people say)

Yeah I'm keen on Trossard too but as you say two Brighton probably too much plus I don't like picking new players to the league in my initial team. At least Barkley has the experience even if he will probably troll me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

mickey15ie wrote: »
    On bench for the Chelsea game

But I assume his in the team for his attacking attributes. I can't imagine united getting very many clean sheets this season. Think having 5.5 wing back on the bench is a bad choice. Even KPW at spurs could be s better option as his likely to play the opening 2 games and then replace him with AWB.

AWB's ownership is so high his price is unlikely to go up, probably more likely to go down if united start poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Current draft

Ryan(Button)
    Kane Deeney Greenwood

I'm very similar too

Pope
    Robbo VVD Digne Diop (Rico)
    Kane King Greenwood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Ederson(Heaton)
    VVD Boly Cathcart Kelly Ritchie
    Salah B Silva Moutinho Stephens Guendozi
    Kane Wilson(c) Firmino

Advertisement