Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents thoughts on this insurance payout?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The purpose of suing is to seek compensation for damage or injury. If I was paying a creche to mind my kid and they fractured their arm, I wouldn't pat them on the head and thank them.

Not sure what your last sentence is about tbh :confused:

So if your partner was minding your child and he had an accident would you sure him/her?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Man, am I glad I live in a country where this sort of nonsense claim would be laughed at before it would get anywhere. Kids are allowed to have fun here and there are always accidents, it's part of being a kid. This running up slides is always happening at the playgrounds and some of the kids don't move, even when asked. I've told mind to just side away and take them with them.

I had one friend growing up who was always breaking limbs, he would be worth a fortune if he was a child these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Down the road a bit, there will not be any problem with insurance for creches etc. There won't be any creche's. Main problem then will be getting childminders as the parent's will be out working...both of them, as they struggle to keep a roof over their head's. The life as we know it, is being eaten away by compo culture.....it's not a victim less crime.

Maybe you would not sue your neighbour, friend, brother, sister etc. The point is that legally you could do it. And that's the problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

ted1 wrote: »
    So if your partner was minding your child and he had an accident would you sure him/her?

I'm not paying my partner to provide child care, the same way he's not paying me for it.

When ever I brought my kids to the park and they walk up the slide when some one is coming down. I tell them to slide down it before they get hurt. Does no one else do this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

moceri wrote: »

I'd be very interested in more details of the case.

Reminds me of the McDonalds coffee case in the USA. Where a old woman sued for burns caused by spilled hot coffee.

At face value it sounds crazy.

Until you read the case details, it turns out McDonalds miscalibrated their coffee machine (a common thing at the time) and the coffee had been superheated above the temps it shpukd have been.

The coffee caused third degree burns over a large portion of her legs and groin area and the woman almost died after being admitted to hospital with the burns.

Proof that case details are very important.

At the time countless news sources did not report the full details of the case so the public condemned the woman and her claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I
    When ever I brought my kids to the park and they walk up the slide when some one is coming down. I tell them to slide down it before they get hurt. Does no one else do this?

Look what you wrote. You say your child walks up the slide. The sane way this kid did.

What if you dint get them down on time , the supervisor may also tell them to slide down as you do.

Also just because you are paying someone you expect them to take better care of your child than you and you and your partner ?

Look what you wrote. You say your child walks up the slide. The sane way this kid did.

What if you dint get them down on time , the supervisor may also tell them to slide down as you do.

But he's never fallen off, because I was there to stop it.

Maybe the supervisor did say stop. Maybe this kid has been told 50 million times not to walk up the slide and the supervisor couldn't get there on time.

On the flip side, maybe there weren't enough supervisors, maybe some one took their eye off the ball. Giraffe were part of the RTE investigates programme and were in breach of the parent child ratio. What if standards are slipping again?

I'd want it seriously looked into if it was me and I would consider legal advice.

Also just because you are paying someone you expect them to take better care of your child than you and you and your partner ?

Sorry... Missed your edit. Better care? My child didn't fracture his arm on my watch.

And yes if I'm paying some one to provide child care... The clue really is in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'm not sure, normally I'd say no, its simple accident, fair enough a small payout to cover expenses but 40k

I've two a boy and agirl, touch wood the younger lady now 12 has scrapped by without anything major.

My son 15 now had two accidents in creche, both required stitches, did we sue, no, in hindsight maybe we should have
    it would have paid for his 3rd level education. I tell him the girls will love the scars both sets are on his forhead and visible

another time he got a minor fracture only couple years ago at a summer camp, I could see in the face of the hubby who runs it with his wife. He thought for sure we're screwed here. We didnt sue, kids are boisterous and **** happens. I made a point to go over to him the following year with an update when daughter returned. We didnt even ask for money for medical expenses, they did refund us for the camp as it happened on day 1

But the stitches in hindsight not sure, but could I have lived with myself

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in more details of the case.

Reminds me of the McDonalds coffee case in the USA. Where a old woman sued for burns caused by spilled hot coffee.

At face value it sounds crazy.

Until you read the case details, it turns out McDonalds miscalibrated their coffee machine (a common thing at the time) and the coffee had been superheated above the temps it shpukd have been.

The coffee caused third degree burns over a large portion of her legs and groin area and the woman almost died after being admitted to hospital with the burns.

Proof that case details are very important.

At the time countless news sources did not report the full details of the case so the public condemned the woman and her claim.

There is no problem with genuine case's (like the woman in America you mention) That's what insurance is designed for. But here in Ireland, insurance claim's in many cases are just fraudulent, pure and simple. Payout's are way higher than in the rest of the EU. It's spreading like a cancer and it's slowly but surely destroying Irish Society. Its gone to the stage now where you have to be careful who you invite into your home, car etc. Because , legally if they get injured in or on your property, they can sue you. Does not matter if you have insurance or not....conceivably, you might have to sell your home to pay a claim if a court finds against you, and you do not have insurance.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It'll get to the point where we will need to take out some sort of insurance just in case a kid faceplants in our house on a play date or at a party.

I think if I was a childcare provider I'd have a blacklist of names of anyone involved in suing for things like this and they could go whistle for childcare as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Neyite wrote: »
    It'll get to the point where we will need to take out some sort of insurance just in case a kid faceplants in our house on a play date or at a party.

I think if I was a childcare provider I'd have a blacklist of names of anyone involved in suing for things like this and they could go whistle for childcare as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. my kids want a birthday party with all their friends in a few months.

I'm booking a play centre due to the risk of being sued if a child gets scratched by a blade of grass in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Neyite wrote: »

If say a realistic possibility is that all parents should have to have their children insured (like cars) in case they are hurt or cause damage to another child

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    If say a realistic possibility is that all parents should have to have their children insured (like cars) in case they are hurt or cause damage to another child

That's pretty much standard here in Germany, nearly everyone has personal liability insurance (Haftpflich). It is mainly used in cases where you or your child cause accidental damage. E.g, if they ride their bike into someones car, if they knock over and damage something in the store, if they damage something at someones house, etc.

It does get abused, I know people who have dropped their phone, camera, laptop and would have a friend put in a claim on their insurance.

jester77 wrote: »
    That's pretty much standard here in Germany, nearly everyone has personal liability insurance (Haftpflich). It is mainly used in cases where you or your child cause accidental damage. E.g, if they ride their bike into someones car, if they knock over and damage something in the store, if they damage something at someones house, etc.

It does get abused, I know people who have dropped their phone, camera, laptop and would have a friend put in a claim on their insurance.

Its a good idea, and even though it's open to abuse, I can't see the claims reaching thousand's of euro's like they do here. The German's wont accept that level of fraud, and especially if it will mean an astronomical rise in their premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

jmreire wrote: »
    Its a good idea, and even though it's open to abuse, I can't see the claims reaching thousand's of euro's like they do here. The German's wont accept that level of fraud, and especially if it will mean an astronomical rise in their premium.

They also have it in France. If you make multiple claims your personal insurance.goes up ...sounds like a fairly good idea until you realise people here will just see it as an opportunity to go banannas suing everyone. This country is gworse than america. At least there there are consequences for fraud and lying. I know hat at our next residents/management meeting I am going to push for our local residential playground to be grassed over. The risk to homeowners who pay the insurance is too high - it is only a.matter of time. 40k would buy a nice house in rural Poland/India.

They also have it in France. If you make multiple claims your personal insurance.goes up ...sounds like a fairly good idea until you realise people here will just see it as an opportunity to go banannas suing everyone. This country is gworse than america. At least there there are consequences for fraud and lying. I know hat at our next residents/management meeting I am going to push for our local residential playground to be grassed over. The risk to homeowners who pay the insurance is too high - it is only a.matter of time. 40k would buy a nice house in rural Poland/India.

Insurance in this Country has to be reformed from top to bottom, it's the only answer. If reform does not happen, then society will be destroyed, it's already started...business's closing, jobs lost, event's cancelled...everyone is now fair game to be sued.....even if you don't have insurance, and someone injures themselves in your house / car etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The purpose of suing is to seek compensation for damage or injury. If I was paying a creche to mind my kid and they fractured their arm, I wouldn't pat them on the head and thank them.

Not sure what your last sentence is about tbh :confused:
    What if what if what if. If I was there and my child fell that's a different story. If I was paying the creche to look after him and he fractured his arm, I would strongly think about it.

So basically you are saying that you expect the creche to do a better job of looking after your children than you do yourself?

At most you claim for the costs incurred, not for compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

If my kid fractured his arm in creche I'd think pretty seriously about suing.

and if your kid fractured their arm under the same circumstances under your care in the local playground who would you sue ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

So on the off chance a kid hurts themselves and the parents might sue your solution is to deprive all the local kids of a playground?

would suspect your suugestion will be met with little support.

GreeBo wrote: »
    At most you claim for the costs incurred, not for compensation.

Or even better would be to just let your medical insurance take care of the costs and move on. That's what it's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

Might be coincidence more than anything but on Friday my little lad, who’s in a giraffe creche, said he wasn’t on the big slide because it was broken.

I hope it’s not a result of the claim as it’s a sad day if it is.

So on the off chance a kid hurts themselves and the parents might sue your solution is to deprive all the local kids of a playground?

would suspect your suugestion will be met with little support.

It has sadly come to this now...creche's, playground's etc. are taking preventative action to lessen the possibility of claim's....I read recently where a playground owner removed two ground level trampolines and replaced them with a grass area in order to bring his premium down to an affordable level so he could remain in business...Creche's have been hit especially hard...even without a claim being made, premiums are unaffordable here in Ireland. So is there a possibility of Kid's growing up without being able to enjoy a playground??? Yes there is, and in some area's it has already happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

jmreire wrote: »
    It has sadly come to this now...creche's, playground's etc. are taking preventative action to lessen the possibility of claim's....I read recently where a playground owner removed two ground level trampolines and replaced them with a grass area in order to bring his premium down to an affordable level so he could remain in business...Creche's have been hit especially hard...even without a claim being made, premiums are unaffordable here in Ireland. So is there a possibility of Kid's growing up without being able to enjoy a playground??? Yes there is, and in some area's it has already happened.

Yes. There is a large public playground 5 minutes away. Let the government take the risk seeing ss they will not address the problem. Btw as a sign of their seriousness they put Bertie Ahern in charge of the industry. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I do think it depends on the level of negligence. There is a creche near me that used to have open railings on their garden so anyone passing could see in. Whenever I'd pass, I could see the creche workers on their phones, ignoring the kids who were playing with really substandard play equipment, like broken slides and a half falling down swingball set. If a child had broken an arm there, the odds are that the cause was negligence. And perhaps in this case, the cctv showed sustained negligence as opposed to a creche worker looking away for a second and dealing with another child. I'm not sure if anyone on this thread would watch video of their child suffering a broken bone due to complete lack of care and just shrug it off as one of those things.

My son attended an outdoor preschool where kids are encouraged to climb trees. Where they do obstacle courses in the woods, have campfires and the kids toast their own marshmallows. If he had fallen out of a tree or off a rope swing and broken something, I'd have accepted that as an unfortunate accident that came about from what I consider acceptable risk. But if I discovered that he had been living with the utterly substandard levels of 'care' I witnessed in the nearby creche, that would be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'd be interested in do Giraffe creches still have slides?

Yeah that creche does. My son is there. Disgusted at that payout. Fees going up by 4.5% in September too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Looks like the claim culture will close down the country.

Thousands of jobs at risk after main insurer for leisure sector pulls out

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/thousands-of-jobs-at-risk-after-main-insurer-for-leisure-sector-pulls-out-38329493.html

Advertisement