Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tile cutter

• 02-07-2019 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

have a cheap macallister manual cutter which worked fine for wall tiles but is just shattering thick porcelain floor tiles I'm trying to cut near one end.

Any recommendations for a tile cutter? Only need it for incidental jobs, but the cost of shattered tiles still adds up onto a cheap tool. Or would the mac one be ok if I found a replacement wheel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

maybe rent a water-cooled cutter

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

I read on a tilers forum yesterday that porcelain tiles should be dry cut.

But don’t take it from me. Ask on the uk tilers forums. The pros there will point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Think I'll just get ceramic tiles. It's just a temporary fix for a big gap in the existing floor. We're going to put a new floor over it soon enough anyway.

Also that way I can use adhesive and grout in one, which will be easier. I noticed the powder adhesive I got has hexavalent chromium in it so I'm not keen to use it anyway.

I also might get this, which seems to get good reviews

https://www.homebase.co.uk/vx-power-max-560w-tile-cutter_p271642

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Sigma

Expensive but it'll cut anything all day long.

I got a ryobi handheld 4" wet cutter that was on special, and ceramic tiles instead of porcelain.

Worked very well. Tested it briefly on the porcelain and it worked on that too, but did little more than a notch so not a very thorough test.

Changed my mind about the grout and adhesive in one after reading reviews and seeing it would take over a week to dry. Used the hex chrome powder adhesive. Was pretty messy but I ran an air purifier, used a mask and vacuumed thoroughly with hepa filter vac. It also was a little impractical for me as it was rapid setting and very thick, so it was tricky to work with and stuck hard in about 30 min. The results were fine, a couple of the tiles spaced a little unevenly, but everything level. Looked good once the grout was in.

Thanks for replies.

• Advertisement

I definitely wouldn't recommend using a dry electric cutter. I didn't get the water coming out right at first and the amount of dust it threw was terrible. Once I got it working right it just all went into the water.

Advertisement